Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: can't compete without a shirt [rockfish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

On the USAT site it indicates if you have commentary about the proposed rule change contact them. Does anyone think contacting them will make any differance in the decision making process?

I don't know, but I just commented. Told them that I won't renew until they vote on the rule. Told them that if the rule is passed, I won't ever join again.

I know it may cost me more in the long run, but its the principle. If the organization is so stupid, I won't be a member. Also some of the races I do are not sanctioned by USAT and with that new company offering insurance to RDs, there may be more non-USAT races in the future.

But what is going on here? European's usually call American's prudes. They don't censor nudity on TV and have nude beaches. In this case, we're being radical because men want to go barechested. I don't get it.

HH

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: can't compete without a shirt [leezee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"i think the rule is good as it will give a clean crisp and professional look to our sport. this will help to generate members, money and promote the sport in a good light and make it prosperous. yes it is another rule but are you against rules in general or against the wearing a top issue?"

You got to be kidding. I don't do triathlons to look good. I do them to compete. Weather permitting, I prefer to go shirtless because it is cooler, more aero on the bike and means I'm running with less weight (a soaked shirt probably weighs up to a half pound). I also prefer a speedo (ugh!) because it is less restrictive on the run than bike shorts. Has PC infected triathlons now?
Quote Reply
Re: can't compete without a shirt [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
According to USATF:

Rule 143

ATHLETIC ATTIRE

1. In all events competitors must wear clothing that is clean, designed and worn so as not to be objectionable. The clothing must be made of a material that is not transparent even if wet. The competitors must not wear clothing that could impede the view of the judges. Athletes' vest should have the same color on the front and back. This rule shall be enforced by the Clerk of Course for track and road events and the Chief Judge of each field event.

2. In hot weather, an athlete competing in a long distance road run may compete without a top shirt. This ruling will be made by the Referee with the approval of the Games Committee.

So, it looks like it MAY be allowed in a long distance (I assume 1/2 or greater) event only if it is hot, and is at the discretion of the Referee. They also specifically mention not being objectionable, which would have to be judged (at least somewhat) by the local community standards.

Considering it's USA Track and Field, I'm assuming long distance means anything above a mile.

That covers the races out there that actually are USATF certified. Again, the only run races I've done where everyone wore a shirt were very cold at the start and that includes many USATF certified races any many non-USATF races. Granted, I've done most of my racing in the southern US - you're in Michigan, right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Talk about the tail waggin' the dog. The rules should support the athlete, period. I'm not interested in what Granny thinks of my bare chest or shaved legs. What's next, ... a no "cameltoe" ruling requiring all athletes to wear an official USAT apron? Oh, and if the race temp is below 65', all athletes must wear nip-guards -- we don't want anyone flashing their "high beams" to some innocent bystander. Puh-lease!

At the pre-race dinner @ IMFL 05, they interviewed the oldest woman in the race (she was 70ish). When asked why she continued to compete after all these years, she replied "to see all these sexy young guys ...". She got a great round of applause.

I wonder if my subscription to Runner's World will start arriving in paper wrapper?

Bike Sherpa
Fully Assembled Bike Transporters
http://www.bikesherpa.com

Quote Reply
Re: can't compete without a shirt [Deus ex Machina] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the Biblethumper note: At one of the small local races I do every year, on local church leader does the whole race in sleeves and pants (even the swim) just to prove his point that you don't have to wear skin tight clothes to race. He always has a good sermon the week before this race condemning the modesty of the triathletes.

I'm sure he's for the shirt rule. And then after that the pants rule... where would it end?
Quote Reply
Re: can't compete without a shirt [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Most of the running races I have been too where runners were not wearing a top, they had on some baggie running shorts, this compared to men running and riding around with nothing on but a Speedo. That's a little different.

Agreed. That's why I said the thing about the tightness of the outfit. But really, aren't split shorts a bit more revealing than tri shorts?

The thing is, I bet you what some are actually offended by is guys running around in bannana hammocks and women running around in swimsuits and the rule wouldn't actually stop either of those things.

I'm guessing most would be more offended by the manbra with speedo than by shirtless with trishorts.
Quote Reply
Re: can't compete without a shirt [MPB1950] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You guys crack me up. (not directed only at you, MPB)

Nine out of ten slowtwitchers get creeped out by a guy at the pool wearing a speedo. But everyone thinks it should be just fine to not wear whatever they don't want to wear while inconviencing the locals at some race, running all around their town. Yeah, that's a good idea. Why don't you wear the old white speedos and nothing else for the bike and run, while you're at it.

I mean, after all, any member of the public who might object is a ragingly hypocritical prude, who's probably just jealous of the fine, well chiseled physique of the typical triathlete in action . Bunch of hypocrite, jealous fatties, is what they are. And besides, those tri tops are soooooo heavy when they get weighed down with sweat. It might cost you a shot at Kona.

Good grief, get over yourselves. Put on the freaking shirt and shut up already.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: can't compete without a shirt [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally, I'd rather it not be a rule, but it is a small price to pay to have races. I used to race topless, but then I realized that I was getting a tan line from my HRM strap!

I wonder if it is a rule for elite marathoners, all of those guys are wearing singlets.

BTW, it does get hot (and humid) here in Michigan. ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: can't compete without a shirt [GoFast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well Said Go Fast....

It is not about the rules, it is about the state of mind.

--------------------------------------------------------
I see obsessed people.
Quote Reply
Re: can't compete without a shirt [House] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you live in the Artic Circle?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure it's a rule from their sponsors!
Quote Reply
Re: can't compete without a shirt [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nine out of ten slowtwitchers get creeped out by a guy at the pool wearing a speedo.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

May I ask why?????and how did you figured that out?and what are you wearing when you are at the pool?

I see obsessed people.
Quote Reply
Re: can't compete without a shirt [doubleplay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are plenty of Jammer vs. Speedo threads on ST. Triathletes tend to like Jammers, while real swimmers (ex college, etc.) prefer Speedos.
Quote Reply
Re: can't compete without a shirt [doubleplay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and how did you figured that out?

I figgered it by the exactingly scientific method of spending way too much time in here generally, and reading I don't know how many posts about the banana hammock wearing creep at the pool.

and what are you wearing when you are at the pool?

Jammers, and that's pushing it. If I ever show up at your pool in a speedo, trust me, you'll know why people get creeped out. Don't make me do it, OK?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: can't compete without a shirt [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
According to USATF:

Rule 143

ATHLETIC ATTIRE

1. In all events competitors must wear clothing that is clean, designed and worn so as not to be objectionable. The clothing must be made of a material that is not transparent even if wet. The competitors must not wear clothing that could impede the view of the judges. Athletes' vest should have the same color on the front and back. This rule shall be enforced by the Clerk of Course for track and road events and the Chief Judge of each field event.

What I worry about is wording Just like this.

WHO defines objectionable -- As another poster wrote about some Church Pastor doing the race with full sleeves and pants -- What if a "manbra" or even a tight shirt gets deems "objectional" -- And you can't change in transition -- that would mean swimming in a baggy shirt!!

AND - "same color front and back" -- what is up with that!! What other restrictions would they or could they add?? Inches of coverage??

side note on "Rule Mongers" -- I was at a USA swimming kids swim meet -- they had a "fun" event in which parents and coaches raced - The guy (parent) who won the 100 free was disqualifed for Wearing his wedding ring. -- USA swimming says "No Jewlery" -- this guy was wearing a ring - therefore he was disqualified -- But this was a just for fun race!! Nope - Rules are rules and if the kids have to follow the rules then everybody has to follow the rules!!!! No bending the rules allowed!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Good grief, get over yourselves. Put on the freaking shirt and shut up already."

Once again..... you have got to be kidding. It's a race, not a Sunday brunch. One of the race legs is a swim. When you go to the beach are you offended by all of the topless men? Geez.

I have participated in almost 400 races over the years and never once has there been any requirement that we wear a shirt (this is in Chicagoland). I have never heard any complaints from anyone about shirtless runners, bikers or swimmers. Is this Political Correctness raising its ugy head again or what?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"Good grief, get over yourselves. Put on the freaking shirt and shut up already."

Once again..... you have got to be kidding. It's a race, not a Sunday brunch. One of the race legs is a swim. When you go to the beach are you offended by all of the topless men? Geez.

I have participated in almost 400 races over the years and never once has there been any requirement that we wear a shirt (this is in Chicagoland). I have never heard any complaints from anyone about shirtless runners, bikers or swimmers. Is this Political Correctness raising its ugy head again or what?

Clearly yes. They're trying to keep the people down.

Good grief, can't I wear my shit in peace?

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the race legs is a swim.

Yeah. One of the race legs. The shortest leg. The leg that noone is going to see you in.

When you go to the beach are you offended by all of the topless men? Geez.

Do you make a habit of staying on the beach for all your triathlons?

It isn't that I'm offended. I'm not. (OK, I am, but on purely aesthetic grounds. Us triathletes are not typically the Greek gods and goddesses some of you seem to think. Anyway . . ) But I can certainly see how a member of the general public would prefer not to look at an endless stream of mostly naked, huffing and puffing, gangly triathletes shuffle by while he waits for the road to clear so he can get home from breakfast on Sunday morning.

But yeah, I know the shirts are real heavy, so that probably outweighs any impact on the public image.

FWIW, I haven't seen a triathlon that didn't require a top.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is this Political Correctness raising its ugy head again or what?
--------------------------------------------------------------------

It might be the political correctness raising its ugly head but more than likely it is about people who still think 5-6" material makes the biggest difference in the world.

What a joke!!!!

I see obsessed people.
Quote Reply
Re: can't compete without a shirt [BottomFeeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do those come in a 42" waist, small bucket :(

Chris
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
― Hunter S. Thompson,
Quote Reply
Re: can't compete without a shirt [BottomFeeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I can't feel my eyes!....Make the bad man go AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: can't compete without a shirt [cvillatri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
God. I'm sorry cvillatri, what a cruel fate. I hope life smiles on you in other ways.

Best bet is to call Erik Clark.

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vitus may I ask what you wear when you're out there racing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only triathlon between New Orleans and Tallahassee that requires a shirt for men is IMFL. The rest of the RDs wouldn't think of making someone wear a shirt in the kind of conditions that are common here on race day.
Quote Reply
Re: can't compete without a shirt [beatnic_tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Assless chaps.
Quote Reply

Prev Next