Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Back from "retirement"...what happened to the Hed3 wheel [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha. I've been lurking
Quote Reply
Re: Back from "retirement"...what happened to the Hed3 wheel [klorene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm rocking H3's front and rear. Front has the Bontrager 19mm aerowing tire. Rear has a Conti GP4000 21mm. I'm still riding my Trek TTX and am sure my rig with me on board is more aero than most.
Quote Reply
Re: Back from "retirement"...what happened to the Hed3 wheel [Mulen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mulen wrote:
Riding H3 in hard sidewind blows, could be a nasty experience (think Kona)

I converted to Zipp (still on Tubulars and rim brakes)

I've raced my last few Konas on a set of GT3s and they are by far less sketchy than a 90 rear, 60 front descending Hawi. I have a set of H3+ now and will be my next set of Kona race wheels should we ever be allowed international travel again and I put in the effort to qualify.
Quote Reply
Re: Back from "retirement"...what happened to the Hed3 wheel [Clutch Cargo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clutch Cargo wrote:
Years ago there were some clincher rear HED3 disc
I made a tubular long ago.
I had one of those rear discs for a couple of years. Bought it from John Cobb's bike shop on a going out of business sale, it turned out to have a dented rim, was out of true and had flaws in the carbon, which was all in all quite disappointing. It was labeled "Prototype," which I removed. I managed to fix the dent to make it smooth enough to brake acceptably, but had to just live with the out of true. It was a very distinctive and wild looking wheel.

Eventually sold it as I decided to move to clinchers and got a pretty decent price for it even though I was very clear about its flaws, might have been a collector as it was a very rare wheel.

Quote Reply
Re: Back from "retirement"...what happened to the Hed3 wheel [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Must say I’m loving my h3+ on the front. It’s just such a great mix of aesthetics and feel. Feels much more stable / consistent than my old 90mm but I’d probably convince myself of that anyway just cause I love the look so much (born in the 70s$.

Haven’t got a rear h3+ so run an old HED jet disc instead.
Quote Reply
Re: Back from "retirement"...what happened to the Hed3 wheel [akiller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been tempted to go "old school" and get a set but the only way I'm rationalizing this purchase to my wife is that this set of wheels will be a 5-7 year set. I just can't do it. Lol

Going back and forth on 404 or 404/808 combo. My A race this year is flat as a pancake but most will be hilly.
Quote Reply
Re: Back from "retirement"...what happened to the Hed3 wheel [klorene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Renn Disc, Nimble Wheels, Aegis T2, S-Bend, Quintana Roo Typhoon, Computrainer, Powercranks and etc...i dont know many of these still exist. But certainly good memories...
Quote Reply
Re: Back from "retirement"...what happened to the Hed3 wheel [GHY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have 2 items on that list
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

i've tried hard to convince myself that the H3+ w/ conti attack is a liability for time trialling, but so far as I can see the data not quite supportive of that verdict. there's some that suggests the jet 9 is faster in some conditions, but not necessarily by a lot. and there's still the mystery of how much rotational drag matters, and is saved.

i suspect airflow interactions at the fork might decide it.
Quote Reply
Re: Back from "retirement"...what happened to the Hed3 wheel [buzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm still rocking a set of Nimbles. I love riding them. Use them on my TT bike as well as my road bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a newer H3+ a few years back and the recommended Tire width is 23mm.
So I run Tubular Vittoria tire on it.
In fact, I think Ive raced a Hed 3 since 2004.
It’s Tubular, and it rides silky smooth and very fast. Paired with a Zipp Disc, in My opinion, outside the LAB, Real world conditions, probably the fastest set up.
Anyway, You can buy 23 tires and aerodynamically they match up perfectly. Probably find a steal on EBay.
A few Chinese companies make them too.

Jim Hallberg
USAC level II
USAT Level I
http://www.d3multisport.com
WATTS UP!!
Quote Reply
Re: Back from "retirement"...what happened to the Hed3 wheel [jtriathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Point of order that the tubular version was called GT3 and not H3+.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Back from "retirement"...what happened to the Hed3 wheel [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That little tid bit of info about the GT3 not being available in clincher explains weeks of fruitless searching. Now to find a good set of H3+.
Quote Reply
Re: Back from "retirement"...what happened to the Hed3 wheel [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
did hed ever make a clincher trispoke in a black plus/wide version? i thought so but i probably just remembering the gt3 tubular i guess
Quote Reply
Re: Back from "retirement"...what happened to the Hed3 wheel [Blainyboy8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blainyboy8 wrote:
did hed ever make a clincher trispoke in a black plus/wide version? i thought so but i probably just remembering the gt3 tubular i guess

They h3+ is the wide version; it has black decals but not the special black brake track.
Quote Reply
Re: Back from "retirement"...what happened to the Hed3 wheel [Csseeker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Csseeker wrote:
I'm still rocking a set of Nimbles. I love riding them. Use them on my TT bike as well as my road bike.

Yep, I too still race on my Nimbles.

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Quote Reply
Re: Back from "retirement"...what happened to the Hed3 wheel [Blainyboy8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not black, as they only came in standard alloy brake track, but I have an H3+ wide version on my tri bike right now :p

It's sure sexy lol
Quote Reply
Re: Back from "retirement"...what happened to the Hed3 wheel [dfquigley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here as well...
Quote Reply
Re: Back from "retirement"...what happened to the Hed3 wheel [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice speed concept. I just picked up a rear H3 plus for mine(still need a front). Have you tried tubeless on the HED clinchers? I’m looking at tire options now and haven’t seen much talk of tubeless for these.
Quote Reply
Re: Back from "retirement"...what happened to the Hed3 wheel [srfsean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't, not really interested in bothering with tubeless. I use Conti GP5000 with vittoria latex tubes.
Quote Reply
Re: Back from "retirement"...what happened to the Hed3 wheel [Clutch Cargo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clutch Cargo wrote:
Were you the one selling those, trispokes made into the disc wheel? I think I may have bought one from you. Cool looking wheel, though a little heavy. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Back from "retirement"...what happened to the Hed3 wheel [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Clutch Cargo wrote:
Were you the one selling those, trispokes made into the disc wheel? I think I may have bought one from you. Cool looking wheel, though a little heavy. :)

I had a trispoke disc at one point. Hit a pothole at lonestar down in Galveston and that was the end of that wheel. Mine was from HED though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's mine!

Got a Jet 9 as well though, so sometimes a tough choice which front to roll.....

Last edited by: dfquigley: Dec 21, 20 8:21
Quote Reply
Re: Back from "retirement"...what happened to the Hed3 wheel [dfquigley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you base your decisions on for what to use between the Tri spoke and the 9? I have the 9 and have often thought about the Trispoke but can just never justify it. Help me justify it! Lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/2015/09/

take a few away for power to spin, add a few for a bad fork/wheel combo. And if it comes to a tie, like an earlier poster, I just feel like the h3 is a faster wheel than the Flo 90. I can't define it but I know it when I feel it.

Quote Reply

Prev Next