Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Back from "retirement"...what happened to the Hed3 wheel
Quote | Reply
I was very active in racing (and here) in the 2000s decade. Took the next decade off with young kids....but now I am back. I am trying to relearn everything and getting back with the times.

I swore by Hed3's back in the day. I used them in sprints, Ironman, hilly, and flat races. They were bombproof.

Simple question...what happened to them? I've googled things like "death of hed3" and can't pinpoint what happened. I see lots for sale online and am tempted out of comfort, but want to know the story.
Quote Reply
Re: Back from "retirement"...what happened to the Hed3 wheel [klorene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Basically the tl;dr is - wider tyres.

The Dupont design (Specialized, Hed 3) was designed around 19mm tyres... and that's just unheard of in the modern day. Running something wider is a big penalty for the wheel, and nobody really makes a tyre that is that narrow (and fast) these days, so you're looking at sourcing old Bontrager Aerowings or the 20mm Supersonic (for a clincher at least, some fast 19mm tubulars still exist although they are mostly track tyres)

Still a good wheel, but time wounds all heels or whatever the saying is

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Back from "retirement"...what happened to the Hed3 wheel [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you are saying if I got a used set I would not be able to find tires for it....blah.

I guess I'll continue searching for a 404/808 combination :)
Quote Reply
Re: Back from "retirement"...what happened to the Hed3 wheel [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thoughts on the H3+, I think it is 25.5mm or something close to that. I actually picked one of these up and then called HED to ask about tires for it. Anne Hed answered the phone, and what an amazing knowledgable person to take the time to chat with me. I asked about the discontinuation of the H3, and she basically said that the patent ran out on it and other companies were producing a similar product(I think specialized) she also said the factory was in Italy(don't take that as gospel) and cost/logistics it just wasn't as profitable as it needed to be.

To the OP I have a friend that raced a lot in the 2000s and he bought the H3 for the very same reason you stated, bomb proof. I have also seen a post on this forum that said, "The H3 may not be the fastest wheel, but it is never a bad choice. I do have some Bontrager R4s(or something like that) that are 21mm I think laying around if you find a wheel let me know and I will check their size.
Quote Reply
Re: Back from "retirement"...what happened to the Hed3 wheel [lonniecdams] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can still get really fast tubular tires for the original HED 3. I sold mine to a track racer.

I think they make one or two track tubulars in a 19mm that have a protection band or whatever you call it.

When I did roll mine, the road had to be brand new perfect. Otherwise, the bouncing around meant I couldn't put power to the road.

As for the patent running out...........lots of Brits use the Selcof trispoke and the Superteam one or the PDQ one. I have no idea if it works out for them or not versus a 90mm.

I think we'll all miss that sound though: skip to 5:30 for sounds of the HED 3 under the power of the "one that shall remain nameless"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOQflZqzn_U
Quote Reply
Re: Back from "retirement"...what happened to the Hed3 wheel [klorene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klorene wrote:
So you are saying if I got a used set I would not be able to find tires for it....blah.

I guess I'll continue searching for a 404/808 combination :)

There are still a fair number of those NOS tyres out there, especially the more recent Supersonics... but yeah, it's pretty unlikely anyone is going to be working on/releasing high performance 19-20mm clinchers in the future.

Quote Reply
Re: Back from "retirement"...what happened to the Hed3 wheel [lonniecdams] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lonniecdams wrote:
Thoughts on the H3+, I think it is 25.5mm or something close to that. I actually picked one of these up and then called HED to ask about tires for it. Anne Hed answered the phone, and what an amazing knowledgable person to take the time to chat with me. I asked about the discontinuation of the H3, and she basically said that the patent ran out on it and other companies were producing a similar product(I think specialized) she also said the factory was in Italy(don't take that as gospel) and cost/logistics it just wasn't as profitable as it needed to be.

To the OP I have a friend that raced a lot in the 2000s and he bought the H3 for the very same reason you stated, bomb proof. I have also seen a post on this forum that said, "The H3 may not be the fastest wheel, but it is never a bad choice. I do have some Bontrager R4s(or something like that) that are 21mm I think laying around if you find a wheel let me know and I will check their size.

Indeed, I was looking a an H3+ or GT3 before I finally settled on the new Trispoke from Revolver.
The H3+ is definitely a solid wheel, I know Xavier (of Aerocoach) has shared some data on them in the past, not quite as fast as the Jets they were using, but really close, and you can run modern, good tyres on it.

Mulrooney (of HED) said one time in a podcast that 21's or maybe 22's worked on the original H3... but TomA's data at the Specialized Win Tunnel definitely didn't support that.

Quote Reply
Re: Back from "retirement"...what happened to the Hed3 wheel [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hahah...memories...

For one race I borrowed a buddies Renn Disc .....I was set up with a much faster combination than I deserved. It was amazing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had my bombproof H3's for a long time (15 plus years) .. and still swear by them. They spend most of the time on my training bike now, but I still do the odd short race with them. I have had people want to buy them... but I don't think I would ever give them up. I also like the bling factor on them. A timeless wheel that will never die

Member of the Litespeed Factory Team
www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was a recent podcast where an engineer for Look, that now owns Corima, was making an argument that for disc brakes the trispoke makes even more sense than ever. Part of the claim was the high spoke count of disc wheels. There was also something about wider wheels that now have clearance helping at yaw..... I don't remember all the details. It was kind of convinced when I listened.

72 - Look Cycle Product Manager Pierre Facomprez
Endurance Innovation

Product manager for the fabled French bicycle and component maker Look and chaser of two-wheel efficiency Pierre Facomprez is on the show to cover non-traditional wheels, wrinkly aero suits, and a really neat cockpit solution.
Listen on Apple Podcasts: https://podcasts.apple.com/...6491?i=1000493186365
Quote Reply
Re: Back from "retirement"...what happened to the Hed3 wheel [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I'll give that a listen on the trainer tomorrow.

From a quick mental exercise, it checks out. The little shield thing that Revolver puts on their disc version also looks pretty good to the eyeball. The aero eyeball does lie... but it is aesthetically pleasing at least.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 404/808 combo that I'm looking to sell. I haven't posted it on here yet, but I already sold my rim brake bike so I can't use them anymore. They are older, but are 11-speed and would come with the Durace 11-25 cassette. I can send you photos if interested!
Quote Reply
Re: Back from "retirement"...what happened to the Hed3 wheel [kerikstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes....pls....ill pm you on here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klorene wrote:
Hahah...memories...

For one race I borrowed a buddies Renn Disc .....I was set up with a much faster combination than I deserved. It was amazing.

Ha - that's funny! I have both a Hed3 and a Renn Kaiser (the silver one) sitting in the basement, Haven't ridden them in years. I keep meaning to post them in the classifieds. That was a great wheel combo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klorene wrote:
I swore by Hed3's back in the day. I used them in sprints, Ironman, hilly, and flat races. They were bombproof.

Simple question...what happened to them?

10 years of development is what happened.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a rear H3+ I'm selling. All my bikes are now 12-speed and the H3+ hub cannot be upgraded to XDR.

I won't part with the H3+ front.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the 20mm is still in the Conti product line.
Quote Reply
Re: Back from "retirement"...what happened to the Hed3 wheel [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a set of HED 3-spokes for sale on TheProsCloset right now - not sure if it's the same model as what you're asking about or looking for.
Quote Reply
Re: Back from "retirement"...what happened to the Hed3 wheel [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davetallo wrote:
I think the 20mm is still in the Conti product line.

You may be right, I glanced at the Conti website, but didn't see the sizes listed.
*fwiw, they did change them a little at some point (can't remember the timeframe) and the later ones measure a little wider than the older ones. I think that info is somewhere in TomA's thread but don't hold me to it.

Quote Reply
Re: Back from "retirement"...what happened to the Hed3 wheel [mrfreeze] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm looking to get a set of race wheels that I won't have to worry about for quite a few years. So definitely don't want to buy something with already limited options.

Thanks!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Riding H3 in hard sidewind blows, could be a nasty experience (think Kona)

I converted to Zipp (still on Tubulars and rim brakes)
Quote Reply
Re: Back from "retirement"...what happened to the Hed3 wheel [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can call him the goat and not say his name. Just saying.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What was the Hed 3 spoke disc that was around?
Quote Reply
Re: Back from "retirement"...what happened to the Hed3 wheel [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Years ago there were some clincher rear HED3 disc
I made a tubular long ago.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klorene wrote:
I was very active in racing (and here) in the 2000s decade. Took the next decade off with young kids....but now I am back. I am trying to relearn everything and getting back with the times.

Simple question...what happened to them? I've googled things like "death of hed3" and can't pinpoint what happened. I see lots for sale online and am tempted out of comfort, but want to know the story.

A lot has happened in the last 10 years, and the death of the H3 doesn’t even make the list. Spend two weeks on here and you’ll catch up quickly :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next