Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Debate #1 thread [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I'll preface this by saying I didn't watch the debate. However, based on the various reactions, my question is this.

Is the smart move for VP Biden to issue make a statement to the effect of:

"I first want to apologize to the American people for what they were subjected to last night. You deserve better from the two men who are asking for your vote in a campaign for the Presidency of the United States. Although both campaigns agreed to a set of rules for the debates, and I went into last night hoping (perhaps naively) that the President and I could work within those rules to provide the voters with another opportunity to distinguish between our policies and basic philosophies for the office, unfortunately, it was clear that no such debate can be held with President Trump. I will not waste the time of the American voters by participating in any further reality television nonsense that solely serves to patronize this President's need to throw public tantrums and spread fabricated lies. There will be no additional Presidential debates. Instead, I will spend the time and effort that I would have spent preparing for the next two events focusing on communicating my platform to the people. I am announcing two additional "town hall" style events during which I will be more than happy to take questions, explain my policies, and make my case to the American public. These town hall events will take the place of any further debates.

I believe that last night's embarrassing spectacle clearly illustrated the stark contrast between the two candidates for this high office, but if you are still undecided or uncertain about who should get your vote, I look forward to continuing to try to answer your questions and convince every voter, left, right, and center, in the coming weeks."

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Debate #1 thread [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's essentially the position I laid out in another thread. He has nothing to gain by debating twice more, whatsoever. The only way he should agree to continue is if the no-cut-mic rule is rescinded, which is entirely appropriate since Trump violated the no-interruptions rule that would warrant a cut mic, every single time Joe tried to answer a question. If he continues with no changes, knowing Trump will do *exactly* the same thing again, he's putting himself at an unnecessary disadvantage.

Unless he can find the right footing and let Trump dig his own grave without hopping it into it with him.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
So I'll preface this by saying I didn't watch the debate. However, based on the various reactions, my question is this.

Is the smart move for VP Biden to issue make a statement to the effect of:

"I first want to apologize to the American people for what they were subjected to last night. You deserve better from the two men who are asking for your vote in a campaign for the Presidency of the United States. Although both campaigns agreed to a set of rules for the debates, and I went into last night hoping (perhaps naively) that the President and I could work within those rules to provide the voters with another opportunity to distinguish between our policies and basic philosophies for the office, unfortunately, it was clear that no such debate can be held with President Trump. I will not waste the time of the American voters by participating in any further reality television nonsense that solely serves to patronize this President's need to throw public tantrums and spread fabricated lies. There will be no additional Presidential debates. Instead, I will spend the time and effort that I would have spent preparing for the next two events focusing on communicating my platform to the people. I am announcing two additional "town hall" style events during which I will be more than happy to take questions, explain my policies, and make my case to the American public. These town hall events will take the place of any further debates.

I believe that last night's embarrassing spectacle clearly illustrated the stark contrast between the two candidates for this high office, but if you are still undecided or uncertain about who should get your vote, I look forward to continuing to try to answer your questions and convince every voter, left, right, and center, in the coming weeks."

I came to the exact same conclusion about an apology. You know damn well trump will never go that route. Offense was delivered by both and forgiveness needs to be asked for.
Quote Reply
Re: Debate #1 thread [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
I hate both these guys. This cannot be the best this country can do.

That's where I'm at as well dude. My ONE hope for Biden was that he would be able to take the high road and not be pulled into the name calling etc.

That's it..ONE thing that my 8 year old can accomplish with relative ease.

Enemies of the U.S. should be rejoicing right now.

I've held my nose more than a few times when voting..looks like I better get ready to do it again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
That's essentially the position I laid out in another thread. He has nothing to gain by debating twice more, whatsoever. The only way he should agree to continue is if the no-cut-mic rule is rescinded, which is entirely appropriate since Trump violated the no-interruptions rule that would warrant a cut mic, every single time Joe tried to answer a question. If he continues with no changes, knowing Trump will do *exactly* the same thing again, he's putting himself at an unnecessary disadvantage.

Unless he can find the right footing and let Trump dig his own grave without hopping it into it with him.

The no-cut-mic rule won't be rescinded. Trump's team won't agree to it, and both sides need to agree on any changes to the rules.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If all was equal in the world, yes that is the right thing to say and do.

However that’s not how this world works.

Biden can’t bow out of the debates. That makes him afraid and weak.

Trump can do whatever he wants.

Those are the rules. Life isn’t fair.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Debate #1 thread [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So that would be an admission that believes he's exempt from the rules he imposes. It's not surprising, but that's what it amounts to.

If I were on Team Joe, I'd insist on the mic rule and point to Trump's flagrant violation of the interruption rule, and cite it as the only way to counter his rule violation. If Team Trump refuses, then this debate is what voters remember through election day.

EVERYONE who saw the debate, save for the Trump cultists, realize how off the rails he was. Trump needs a second debate far more than does Biden. He should use that leverage.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Debate #1 thread [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
JSA wrote:
mopdahl wrote:
This is a shitshow.

Ya think?!?!?!?!?!

If I didn't laugh over this debate, I might cry!

This doesn't change anyone's mind. Unless they were waiting to see if Biden would come out drooling, and he ahsn't.

The debates have outlived their usefulness. Long form interviews with each getting the same questions would be better.

Or maybe we go game show and put them each in soundproof booths so they can't see each other or hear each other. Or maybe put them both in sound proof booths so we can't hear either one.

I absolutely agree with you. It's pure theater...I was just hoping for better performances from our lead actors. Shit..even the audio guy was shitting the bed. Lighting seemed spot on for what it's worth though.

Would love to see long form interviews with each of them but it's really not a good idea for either one of these dummies to roll those dice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
oh and stocks are up this morning

mainly on China PMIs and hopes for a stimulus package. they were falling after the debate on fears of a protracted post-election legal fight.
Quote Reply
Re: Debate #1 thread [TomkR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TomkR wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
Would anyone mind if Joe Biden just up and said “Thank you for this opportunity, but Im not going to continue to be part of this disgusting display anymore. I refuse to participate in an event that will lower the bar for the office of POTUS.”

Right now Id be far more impressed if Biden just said fuck it Im out.

Would that play well? Sure some news would eat him up, but I dont think this is changing any votes, or deciding any either.

Is that an option?

I’d respect that.

Add me to that list as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Debate #1 thread [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
windywave wrote:

mainly on China PMIs and hopes for a stimulus package. they were falling after the debate on fears of a protracted post-election legal fight.

Eyeroll emoji
Quote Reply
Re: Debate #1 thread [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
jharris wrote:

They both played a part in the chaos. Trump can’t control himself. Everyone knows that. Biden should have been an adult and said something like.... Mr. President, please don’t interrupt and I will do the same. Let’s have a clean debate. Instead, he told him to shut up. He had an opportunity and he lost it.

Why do you hold them to different standards?

They are held to the standards expected as President of the United States of America. Sadly, neither meet those standards.

My comments were about winning the debate. I think Biden missed an opportunity. He could have acted like an honorable man and made Trump look like the fool everyone knows he is. Joe didn’t stand up to my expectations, so now they are both in the camp of unworthy ness of the position.

So, that’s our choices. I choose the guy who has gotten things done. Not the guy in politics for years without a plan, but people around him waiting to whisper in his ear. No thanks. That doesn’t mean I love Trump or am a Trump supporter. FYI.
Quote Reply
Re: Debate #1 thread [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
BLeP wrote:
jharris wrote:

They both played a part in the chaos. Trump can’t control himself. Everyone knows that. Biden should have been an adult and said something like.... Mr. President, please don’t interrupt and I will do the same. Let’s have a clean debate. Instead, he told him to shut up. He had an opportunity and he lost it.

They are held to the standards expected as President of the United States of America. Sadly, neither meet those standards.

My comments were about winning the debate. I think Biden missed an opportunity. He could have acted like an honorable man and made Trump look like the fool everyone knows he is. Joe didn’t stand up to my expectations, so now they are both in the camp of unworthy ness of the position.

So, that’s our choices. I choose the guy who has gotten things done. Not the guy in politics for years without a plan, but people around him waiting to whisper in his ear. No thanks. That doesn’t mean I love Trump or am a Trump supporter. FYI.

You are literally supporting President Trump.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Debate #1 thread [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
jharris wrote:
BLeP wrote:
jharris wrote:

You are literally supporting President Trump.

You don't understand. He isn't supporting trump. He is supporting Trump. See the difference?

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Debate #1 thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BREAKING NEWS
The Commission on Presidential Debates said it would change its format for future debates after President Trump repeatedly interrupted Joe Biden.

Per the NY Times.

https://www.nytimes.com/...equent-interruptions

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
windywave wrote:

Not much. To whatever extent stocks care at all, the worst outcome would be a too-close-to-call result. Biden "not losing" last night reduces that likelihood. The market has priced in a likely Biden victory, and hates uncertainty. Odds on stimulus package will move the markets near-term. If Biden stumbles or polls tighten a bit, the market will most likely drop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
windywave wrote:

Eyeroll emoji

not sure why that warrants an eyeroll.

S&P futures were down over 1% at 2am NY time, and Asia stocks opened lower too. The talk on the street was that it was a result of Trump's threats of not leaving quietly (or however you want to characterize it - contested election). But by this morning's open they had recovered their overnight losses in the wake of solid China PMIs and reports that Mnuchin and Pelosi were talking stimulus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
BLeP wrote:
jharris wrote:

Summon your ethics. You watched an abusive person obstruct the debate process by using insults, interruptions and lies. Who were the real losers? Americans. That debate was for YOU to hear Biden’s and Trump’s ideas. Trump broke the rules repeatedly to disrupt and rattle Biden so Biden couldn’t speak. Trump disrespected you.

Do you know abusers do the next day? They tell you that you’re crazy. They tell you it’s your fault. They lie about what they did. They will deny what you saw. They promise you it will get better. Watch what Trump tweets.

When you vote for Trump, you are VOTING FOR TRUMP. You are voting in favor of the abuser.
Quote Reply
Re: Debate #1 thread [CallMeMaybe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CallMeMaybe wrote:
jharris wrote:
BLeP wrote:
jharris wrote:

Summon your ethics. You watched an abusive person obstruct the debate process by using insults, interruptions and lies. Who were the real losers? Americans. That debate was for YOU to hear Biden’s and Trump’s ideas. Trump broke the rules repeatedly to disrupt and rattle Biden so Biden couldn’t speak. Trump disrespected you.

Do you know abusers do the next day? They tell you that you’re crazy. They tell you it’s your fault. They lie about what they did. They will deny what you saw. They promise you it will get better. Watch what Trump tweets.

When you vote for Trump, you are VOTING FOR TRUMP. You are voting in favor of the abuser.

Speaking of abusers, how many credible rape and/or sexual assault allegations are there against Trump now? 26 or so?

You're also voting for that guy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
CallMeMaybe wrote:
jharris wrote:
BLeP wrote:
jharris wrote:

Speaking of abusers, how many credible rape and/or sexual assault allegations are there against Trump now? 26 or so?

You're also voting for that guy.

And ..... I’m not the only one in America.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Joe didn’t stand up to my expectations...

Of course he didn't.

It's the fall back position for Trump supporters.

Quote Reply
Re: Debate #1 thread [CallMeMaybe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CallMeMaybe wrote:
jharris wrote:
BLeP wrote:
jharris wrote:

If that’s how you want to look at it.

No point to have a discussion of why I am voting for Trump when clearly your mind is made up that everyone voting for Trump is a jerk and not your friend, like Trump.

I was amazed to see in your other post that your husband is planning to vote for Trump. I didn’t expect you to give anyone voting for Trump a chance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
why I am voting for Trump

Why are you?

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Debate #1 thread [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
Quote:
why I am voting for Trump

Why are you?

Read my other posts.

This thread is all to common, by the way. Democrat starts Thread to ask someone who is voting Trump of their opinions. Only to bash them. If you really wanted to hear anything, you would continue asking questions and stop judging.

I accept people’s views if they are Democrat and/ or voting Biden.

Same thing I see on Facebook.

There is a reason why people voting Trump are silent. Nobody wants to share because they simply get bashed. I’m thick skinned enough that I share my views, but I do wonder why. Why take the 5 min to type this when I can just go back to work? I will gladly spend the time on real conversation, otherwise, this is unproductive as the debate.
Quote Reply

Prev Next