Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Debate #1 thread [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
The Proud Boys have adopted the slogan “Stand back, stand by.”

That’s a scary thought going into an election where Trump May be ahead in some states and then fall behind days later as more mail in ballots are counted. It could get ugly and I hope our military is ready to uphold our institutions.

Im not sure how you want me to respond. I wasn't talking about the Proud Boys. Is this in response to my clarification of your interpretation of Trump’s reply?

No. It was just a general comment to the thread.

Gocha. I dont believe it will come to that. And hope Im not proven wrong in 5, 6, 7, 8? weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: Debate #1 thread [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's been reported that Trump's team refused to allow the moderator to cut the mic as part of the debate conditions. I think it would serve Biden well to make a public issue of this and refuse to debate unless the moderator is given that ability. Trump won't do it because it's at the core of his tactic and strategy, and Joe can retire from the debates without taking any damage, and leave Trump's unhinged performance and "stand back, stand by" exhortation to white supremacists echo all the way through election day.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Debate #1 thread [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Equity markets started selling off at the end of the debate when Trump suggested he wouldn’t accept the results.
Quote Reply
Re: Debate #1 thread [Yeeper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

That’s a scary thought going into an election where Trump May be ahead in some states and then fall behind days later as more mail in ballots are counted. It could get ugly and I hope our military is ready to uphold our institutions.

Im not sure how you want me to respond. I wasn't talking about the Proud Boys. Is this in response to my clarification of your interpretation of Trump’s reply?

Gocha. I dont believe it will come to that. And hope Im not proven wrong in 5, 6, 7, 8? weeks.

Are you positive about that?

https://www.nbcnews.com/...te-call-out-n1241512

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
General reply.

That was horrible and embarrassing on both sides. Undecided before and have zero desire to vote for either of these train wrecks after watching. Biden's only decent points came during climate discussions were obviously well rehearsed statements. Neither of them were able to capitalize and actually present any semblance of a platform. Might as well have been a pudding wrestling contest. Had higher hopes that Wallace would have controlled responses better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
What were the lows?

While Biden is talking about his dead son who served in Iraq, Trump disparaging Biden’s other son for being a drug addict.

Trump telling white supremacists to stand back and stand by. He refused to condemn white supremacy.

Nothing good happens in Philadelphia.

He told Proud boys to await his command.

This is why I called Trump voters a nasty word a couple of weeks ago.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
[And Trump said “nothing good happens in Philadelphia.” That probably loses PA.

Considering he went to the University of Pennsylvania.... ha! Spot on.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Debate #1 thread [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
What were the lows?

While Biden is talking about his dead son who served in Iraq, Trump disparaging Biden’s other son for being a drug addict.

Trump telling white supremacists to stand back and stand by. He refused to condemn white supremacy.

Nothing good happens in Philadelphia.

He told Proud boys to await his command.

This is why I called Trump voters a nasty word a couple of weeks ago.

Seriously, how fucking hard is it to say "I condemn white supremacists"

Literally, that's all he had to say to answer the question.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
Equity markets started selling off at the end of the debate when Trump suggested he wouldn’t accept the results.

Saw that. Predictions for tomorrow?

I'm going with start low and recover back for marginal gains.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
CallMeMaybe wrote:
I cannot believe how disrespectful Trump was to both Biden and Wallace. Even worse, by interrupting Biden with insults and snide comments, Trump was disrespectful to Americans who want to hear what Biden says. Americans clearly have a right to hear Biden. Trump doesn’t care about Americans.

Trump’s interruptions and insults, meant to rattle Biden, are a form of cheating. Trump knows he cannot win against Biden in a fair debate, so Trump tried to sabotage Biden.

Trump is a disgrace to himself. I cannot have any respect for people who are impressed with Trump’s behavior.

This is a man who fears going to jail if he loses. He will happily see the country burn before accepting defeat. People need to wake up to this.

Agree too. The guy doesn't care for anyone but himself. He could be watching tens of thousands of Americans die at the hands of other Americans and it wouldn't phase him one bit. He'd probably make a comment about how no other president had so many Americans willing to die for him.

Likewise, the so-called patriots that worship him would excuse it.

I can't think of a better ending than seeing him led away in handcuffs to spend the rest of his days in jail.
Quote Reply
Re: Debate #1 thread [erik+] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
erik+ wrote:
General reply.

That was horrible and embarrassing on both sides. Undecided before and have zero desire to vote for either of these train wrecks after watching. Biden's only decent points came during climate discussions were obviously well rehearsed statements. Neither of them were able to capitalize and actually present any semblance of a platform. Might as well have been a pudding wrestling contest. Had higher hopes that Wallace would have controlled responses better.

Those are called policy positions.

Part of the reason I hate the debates is that they have absolutely nothing to do with being president. This situation never comes up as president. The only thing it illuminates is some of the character of the candidates. But debates are a lot less useful for that than looking at how people have lived their lives. Though of course both candidates acted pretty much how they have lived their lives during tonight's debate.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

I used to think his critics went too far in reading into his reluctance to do so--I thought he was just too cowardly to risk losing a single supporter--but he's been rock solid consistent on this question. He pretends to not know any prominent white supremacists or supremacist organizations when pressed, then lies or sidesteps in his non-reply responses, and engages in whataboutism and false moral equivalency. Ask him twenty more times and you'll get the same kind of response.

Tonight he took it to a whole new level. He spoke directly to them and put them on stand by. He is their champion.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Debate #1 thread [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
erik+ wrote:
General reply.

Apparently one of Trump's conditions for the debate was that Chris Wallace *not* be allowed / able to cut off mics.

Yeah, that's BS. Put them in separate rooms and make them answer individually if you have to. The shit show will continue. Normal people just want to see each answer questions uninterrupted.
Quote Reply
Re: Debate #1 thread [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
erik+ wrote:
General reply.

Those are called policy positions.

Part of the reason I hate the debates is that they have absolutely nothing to do with being president. This situation never comes up as president. The only thing it illuminates is some of the character of the candidates. But debates are a lot less useful for that than looking at how people have lived their lives. Though of course both candidates acted pretty much how they have lived their lives during tonight's debate.

Yes, agreed, well stated.
Quote Reply
Re: Debate #1 thread [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

Are you positive about that?

https://www.nbcnews.com/...te-call-out-n1241512

Um, yea. Its just my belief, regardless of what headlines or twitter say. I also acknowledged I could be wrong and hope Im not. Its simply a belief about what might happen in the future. Why the pushback?
Quote Reply
Re: Debate #1 thread [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
As bad as Biden is at debating I just have to hope the average American can see through Trump’s BS.

This debate isn’t going to change any minds.

90% have made up their minds, but that does leave 10% on the fence. I'll add that Joe doesn't seem to sleepy to me. You know when trump is lying whenever his lips are moving.

They both lie. I was fact checking both during the debates. Do the same.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the next moderator should be the guy from ESPN's Around the Horn. He can freeze frame the speaker and clip his mic. Or have them in a sound proof plexiglass box and clip the mic and watch the guys wave and stomp but not hear a word.
Quote Reply
Re: Debate #1 thread [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
erik+ wrote:
General reply.

Apparently one of Trump's conditions for the debate was that Chris Wallace *not* be allowed / able to cut off mics.

Would a mute button have helped trump though? Would he have come across better if he was not constantly interrupting?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The early polls say Biden won big. CNN has it at 60-28 for Biden.
Most people didn’t watch. They’ll trust the headlines. The headlines will be, what?

Biden Won
Trump failed to denounce white supremacy
Trump was off his rocker

And there are no notable gaffs by Biden to further the narrative that he is senile.

By the time the dust settles, history records this as pivotal and terrible for Trump.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd like to see Biden use Trump's debate behavior political ads showing what kind of person he is. There probably aren't many undecided voters, but it could make a difference with some of them. Remind them weekly what kind of person Trump is.
Quote Reply
Re: Debate #1 thread [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
As bad as Biden is at debating I just have to hope the average American can see through Trump’s BS.

This debate isn’t going to change any minds.

90% have made up their minds, but that does leave 10% on the fence. I'll add that Joe doesn't seem to sleepy to me. You know when trump is lying whenever his lips are moving.

They both lie. I was fact checking both during the debates. Do the same.

Stand by awaiting my marching orders. - Trump to proud Boys.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
Would anyone mind if Joe Biden just up and said “Thank you for this opportunity, but Im not going to continue to be part of this disgusting display anymore. I refuse to participate in an event that will lower the bar for the office of POTUS.”

Right now Id be far more impressed if Biden just said fuck it Im out.

Would that play well? Sure some news would eat him up, but I dont think this is changing any votes, or deciding any either.

Is that an option?

They both played a part in the chaos. Trump can’t control himself. Everyone knows that. Biden should have been an adult and said something like.... Mr. President, please don’t interrupt and I will do the same. Let’s have a clean debate. Instead, he told him to shut up. He had an opportunity and he lost it.
Quote Reply
Re: Debate #1 thread [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
Would anyone mind if Joe Biden just up and said “Thank you for this opportunity, but Im not going to continue to be part of this disgusting display anymore. I refuse to participate in an event that will lower the bar for the office of POTUS.”

Right now Id be far more impressed if Biden just said fuck it Im out.

Would that play well? Sure some news would eat him up, but I dont think this is changing any votes, or deciding any either.

Is that an option?

They both played a part in the chaos. Trump can’t control himself. Everyone knows that. Biden should have been an adult and said something like.... Mr. President, please don’t interrupt and I will do the same. Let’s have a clean debate. Instead, he told him to shut up. He had an opportunity and he lost it.

Biden did act like an adult multiple times, for the first 30 minutes. trump had many chances to stop acting like a maniac.

Stop saying they both played a part.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Quote:

I used to think his critics went too far in reading into his reluctance to do so--I thought he was just too cowardly to risk losing a single supporter--but he's been rock solid consistent on this question. He pretends to not know any prominent white supremacists or supremacist organizations when pressed, then lies or sidesteps in his non-reply responses, and engages in whataboutism and false moral equivalency. Ask him twenty more times and you'll get the same kind of response.

Tonight he took it to a whole new level. He spoke directly to them and put them on stand by. He is their champion.

If only we had a middle ground candidate who could condemn both the widespread hate on both the right and left and actually put forth a decent platform with a unifying message and the ability to be electable in our current system. The childness on both sides is so disruptive to the potential good, its like picking the best of the two worst kickball players in kindergarten except this is supposed to be the best of American politics. If the world isn't laughing at us they surely are not laughing with us.
Quote Reply

Prev Next