Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
yeah, starting to hit much closer to home. Two of my wife's employees are now in the hospital. One was just put on a vent yesterday. Black, morbidly obese, and previous heart condition. Not what you want to hear. Three parents of my nephew's friends are now positive. Good thing he was spending the night over at two of them while my parents where in town baby-sitting him and his sister.

On a side note, our MAGA and Make Liberals Cry Again tshirt/hat/sock wearing customer came in yesterday for the first time since we instituted a mandatory mask policy. Not shocked at all he had a Trump/Pence 2020 mask. And here all I've been told is the left was politicizing mask wearing. I guess this is the everyone does it defense.

Hey, take small victories when you get them. I'd give him a pat on the back.

Edit: Sorry, pat on the back isn't properly distanced. I meant give him a bro nod from at least 6 feet away.
Last edited by: trail: Jul 23, 20 6:53
Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Georgia I think has now reached official POP.

Yes, I'd agree.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [xtremrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtremrun wrote:
monty wrote:
I heard they are putting Covid on the swabs before they test you, and that is why so many positives. And something about a chip in the vaccine..

The new going around in South Carolina. "Had a friend that went to get tested, waited in line for 6 hours and they shut testing down. He got home and they called and said his test was positive. They are calling everybody that fills out the paper work positive." This is what we are up against on social media in the South. Mean while our Governor is pushing in person school. SMH

That same bullshit is going around everywhere, including my part of Texas. Yet- at least here in my town- there seems that no one has come forward with documentation of getting a positive result and not having a test for local officials to investigate.

I don't know why people are so gullible or quick to jump on conspiracy theories. But Epstein didn't kill himself.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My assistant manager told me the other day that the CDC admitted over half of the death count was from people dying from other causes, but having tested positive from COVID at one time. I asked him what he meant. He said if someone tested positive back in April and died in a motorcycle accident in June it was counted as a COVID death. Confirmed by the CDC.. I had to ask him if he was serious. You can't educate that kind of stupid.
Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
I don't know why people are so gullible or quick to jump on conspiracy theories. But Epstein didn't kill himself.

If it's on the internet, it must be true.

It saddens me when I see college classmates referencing info from wingnuts websites and implying it's fact.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
My assistant manager told me the other day that the CDC admitted over half of the death count was from people dying from other causes, but having tested positive from COVID at one time. I asked him what he meant. He said if someone tested positive back in April and died in a motorcycle accident in June it was counted as a COVID death. Confirmed by the CDC.. I had to ask him if he was serious. You can't educate that kind of stupid.

Is he now your former assistant manager?

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:

Is he now your former assistant manager?

He's been demoted once from this position and off to a good start to be demoted again after being promoted a couple of months ago. He's worked for this company for 17 years and is one of those guys who thinks his shit doesn't stink but hasn't seen enough of the world to know the difference. Either way, he's a nice enough guy and I'm just a part time chump.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:

The motorcycle accident covid death is a widely reported piece of truth that folks like him hold on to prove that the whole system is flawed. If they can find one flaw, it lets them cling to their conspiracy theory.

You are right you can't educate them. But they can learn when they are willing.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Georgia I think has now reached official POP.

Well, nearly three weeks later, I wonder if it is fair to say Georgia popped. Deaths have gone up from less than twenty per day to about 50 per day. However, it does not look like it is increasing in the manner of NY and other hard hit places in March/April.

The peak of the curve in New York was near 1000 deaths per day, or about 50 per million per day. For over two weeks the death rate was over 750 per day, or about 40 per million per day. Normal death rate in USA (CDC 2019 numbers) is 23.7 per million per day. Thus New York covid death rate during covid spike was substantially higher than normal death rate.

However, at 50 covid deaths per day, Georgia is at rate of 4.7 covid deaths per day per million -- much less than normal daily death rate of 23.7.

Maybe a "POP" is in the eyes of the beholder, but I'd call Georgia's increase a very unfortunate bump, which I hope does not become a POP.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Maybe a "POP" is in the eyes of the beholder, but I'd call Georgia's increase a very unfortunate bump, which I hope does not become a POP.

You should go into politics. "2020 had some unfortunate bumps..."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ontario has had 7 straight days of fewer than 100 new cases.

8 Covid deaths in the past 7 days. 8 too many.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/..._pandemic_in_Ontario

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Last edited by: BLeP: Aug 9, 20 15:06
Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

Meanwhile, in an average week about 130 people in Ontario die from accidents and suicide. 130 people too many. Preventable.

Cancer, heart disease, stroke deaths are an order of magnitude higher.

I'm just saying death happens. Yet, until we get older, deaths of acquaintances are not an everyday event and people don't worry about dying day to day.

In Georgia, a potential 25% increase in deaths does nothing to change this. I say potential 25% increase because possibly many of the people dying from covid may have died anyway from underlying causes.

________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Meanwhile, in an average week about 130 people in Ontario die from accidents and suicide. 130 people too many. Preventable.

I'm just saying death happens. Yet, until we get older, deaths of acquaintances are not an everyday event and people don't worry about dying day to day.

In Georgia, a potential 25% increase in deaths does nothing to change this. I say potential 25% increase because possibly many of the people dying from covid may have died anyway from underlying causes.

Or more probably, you are just making up complete and utter horseshit.

From June 20th - July 20th Georgia had 534 deaths - 17.8/day
From July 21 - today they have had 1023 deaths - 51.15/day

An extra 667 people have died in the last 20 days alone. In Georgia. But according to you, somehow, 29 or 30 of those 51 each and every day would have died form something else. Because you went to the University of Facebook for your medical degree.

Just stop.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

An extra 667 people have died in the last 20 days alone. In Georgia. But according to you, somehow, 29 or 30 of those 51 each and every day would have died form something else. Because you went to the University of Facebook for your medical degree.

Show me one thing I stated that is not correct. I have been doing some calculations based on reported numbers and could have made an error.

Per CDC 2019 numbers, in USA about 23.7 people die per day per million population. So for Georgia, that would be about 250 people per day. So in the last 20 days, even without covid, 5000 people would have died over the last 20 days.

With heart disease and diabetes leading causes of death and also risk factors for covid death, are you saying none of those 667 people who died in last 20 days would have died from heart disease or diabetes sometime this year?

Read this study from CDC and tell me if I'm correct reading that of about 10.6K decedents studied over 20% were over the age of 85 and of those 58% had cardiovascular disease. What is the life expectancy of someone over 85 with cardiovascular disease?

Quote:
But according to you, somehow, 29 or 30 of those 51 each and every day would have died form something else.

I'm not sure what you are saying and I don't think I said any such thing. I have no idea of what the exact number might be. Only time will tell (to some extent).

I was off in saying that 50 covid deaths per day is 25% of normal daily death rate of 250 in Georgia. 50/250 = .2

________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Quote:

Show me one thing I stated that is not correct. I have been doing some calculations based on reported numbers and could have made an error.

Per CDC 2019 numbers, in USA about 23.7 people die per day per million population. So for Georgia, that would be about 250 people per day. So in the last 20 days, even without covid, 5000 people would have died over the last 20 days.

With heart disease and diabetes leading causes of death and also risk factors for covid death, are you saying none of those 667 people who died in last 20 days would have died from heart disease or diabetes sometime this year?

Read this study from CDC and tell me if I'm correct reading that of about 10.6K decedents studied over 20% were over the age of 85 and of those 58% had cardiovascular disease. What is the life expectancy of someone over 85 with cardiovascular disease?

So, you agree that these people died because of COVID-19. What is it that you are arguing, then?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
But according to you, somehow, 29 or 30 of those 51 each and every day would have died form something else.

I'm not sure what you are saying and I don't think I said any such thing. I have no idea of what the exact number might be. Only time will tell (to some extent).

I was off in saying that 50 covid deaths per day is 25% of normal daily death rate of 250 in Georgia. 50/250 = .2

Stop just making shit up. That is all you are doing. I have no idea what your motivation is and I don't care but you have been at it for a while. I assume it makes you feel better to think that COVID is being polite and only killing people already scheduled to die. That isn't how it works. That isn't how any of this works.

You have no idea what you are talking about. So you just make shit up. Stop.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
So, you agree that these people died because of COVID-19. What is it that you are arguing, then?

I stated my interest regarding the subject of this thread in my first post yesterday.

Anyone who wants to do critical thinking can draw their own conclusions regarding the facts and figures I presented.

If any of the numbers I presented appear in error to you, please let me know and I'll check them.

________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

You're being cute here, though. In areas hard-hit by COVID, it was the leading cause of death, full-stop. E.g. here, where COVID deaths absolutely dominated deaths in NYC between March 11 - May 2. It's on track to the 3rd highest cause of death in the U.S. even though most areas haven't been hit anywhere near as hard as NYC. How you can be so casually dismissive as saying "death happens, so what" is beyond me.

So takeway here is if we don't do anything to try and slow it down, it's unbelievably fucking bad. As opposed to just really bad if we do try to slow it down.
Last edited by: trail: Aug 10, 20 10:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
What is the life expectancy of someone over 85 with cardiovascular disease?

Tough to say. Per SS actuarial tables, the life expectancy of people who make it to 85 is about 6-7 years. The prevalence of cardiovascular disease in people aged 80 or older is over 80%.

So it's entirely plausible that, on average, we're talking about whole years of life.

We've gotten really good at managing cardiovascular disease. Dick Cheney has had it for like 40 years. It doesn't mean you're about to die. Neither does being 85..
Last edited by: trail: Aug 10, 20 10:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Quote:

You're being cute here, though. In areas hard-hit by COVID, it was the leading cause of death, full-stop. E.g. here, where COVID deaths absolutely dominated deaths in NYC between March 11 - May 2. It's on track to the 3rd highest cause of death in the U.S. even though most areas haven't been hit anywhere near as hard as NYC. How you can be so casually dismissive as saying "death happens, so what" is beyond me.

So takeway here is if we don't do anything to try and slow it down, it's unbelievably fucking bad. As opposed to just really bad if we do try to slow it down.

You say I'm cute and to prove it offer up numbers that I posted -- in more detail -- in my first post yesterday, no. 134.

I agree with your takeaways.

Yet I don't think there is any harm with a comparative analysis of numbers in Georgia with those during the horrible spike in NY.

Quote:
How you can be so casually dismissive as saying "death happens, so what" is beyond me.

Sympathy and respect are due to those who have suffered loss of loved ones. My recitation of covid death statistics would be inappropriate in a thread discussing the death of loved ones.

I considered this thread more a more public policy debate, i.e, what should Georgia be doing. Such a debate requires consideration of the relative magnitude of the current situation in Georgia. Public policy decisions always have a cost benefit analysis, including potential of causing deaths.

We can debate whether Georgia or Texas, Florida, or California should be imposing further restrictions at this point.

I lost my 85 y/o mother and my 84 y/o father this year. It is difficult so I'm not unsympathetic toward those in their 80s. Yet my parents both appreciated that they lived long good lives and were coming near their end.

Meanwhile, I coach inner city Alabama kids who attend, or will attend (maybe), a city high school were only 50% graduate. All the outlying suburban schools are starting on time with optional remote learning. All those kids will graduate high school and most go to college.

In contrast, city schools will be starting first 9 weeks remotely. Sad LOL for as a practical matter there will be no school for most kids for nine weeks. Poor kids will suffer more and have even less chances in life.

Tough policy choices.

________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Etowah HS officially POPPED. This would be hilarious if it were a less serious subject. Florida, I'll see your bet and raise you a bazillion. This will magically disappear after August 31st. Wink, wink.

Last edited by: TimeIsUp: Aug 13, 20 7:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Obviously too much testing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good news in that the bump in covid deaths in Georgia -- and Florida, California, and Texas -- seems to have been declining in last few weeks.

Also good news is that the death rate at its peak in those states was far, far lower -- about an order of magnitude -- than the rate in NJ and NY when covid hit hard there.

Personally I think the Southern bump is due to hot weather and people staying inside (in unsafe manner, too many in too small space). That is cause for a few cases with which I'm personally familiar anyway.

________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good news in that the bump in covid deaths in Georgia -- and Florida, California, and Texas -- seems to have been declining in last few weeks. //

Yes good news indeed. At least in CA we have been moving down the death per million scale, now at about 25th, in the middle. The others you mentioned are moving the other direction in that metric, but the states popping now may stop their slides if they keep up the nonsense..

And I dont think we can use NY or NJ as examples of what could be, that was another time and place, with all things that could go wrong, actually do so. But they did give us the formula for getting out of not just a steep slide, but the minor ones just about every state has or is experiencing since the beginning of this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Good news in that the bump in covid deaths in Georgia -- and Florida, California, and Texas -- seems to have been declining in last few weeks.

Also good news is that the death rate at its peak in those states was far, far lower -- about an order of magnitude -- than the rate in NJ and NY when covid hit hard there.

Personally I think the Southern bump is due to hot weather and people staying inside (in unsafe manner, too many in too small space). That is cause for a few cases with which I'm personally familiar anyway.

I don't know if I'd call this deaths trending down, although cases seem to be, so hopefully deaths will follow. Agree with your second point and I can see the logic in the last. My observation is the elderly don't tend to get out much in this heat, with good reason, and they still make up the majority of recent deaths.

Quote Reply

Prev Next