Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: LA Senator to Teachers: they can kiss my ass [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
I talked with a good friend of mine and fairly regular contributor to the LR this morning. And his assessment was that: my title misrepresented the statements made by Sen. Kennedy and that you and others were correct to call me for it. I went back to reading the thread and I do agree. I was wrong and I apologize for this.
Maybe I get Trump fatigue, and just saw his comments and took them as more gaslighting Trump style. Maybe I get just covid fatigue for looking at the damn data all the time at work. Either way, even though my intent was not to misrepresent what he said, I realize that I saw this with a very thick anti-conservative bias. In the future, I will try to be maybe less quick to type, and try to not post when I'm pissed at the situation we are in.
So, I do apologize, and thank the couple of you (you, yeeper for instance) who took the time to call me out on it, albeit in a fair manner, and helped me see my errors.

Fair enough. We all get our blinders on occasionally. The more we can stick to the facts and analysis that's as objective as possible, the better off I think we are.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: LA Senator to Teachers: they can kiss my ass [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wholeheartedly agree with that.
Quote Reply
Re: LA Senator to Teachers: they can kiss my ass [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
If you are being held against your will and being forced to make this statement please use the word pineapples in your next post so we know to come rescue you.

I wouldn't come to Florida right now if I were you...

PINEAPPLES! <-- this is a joke...obviously :-) No one forced me.
Last edited by: Francois: Jul 16, 20 8:01
Quote Reply
Re: LA Senator to Folks who support Teachers and their safety: they can kiss my ass [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
Strategies vary from district to district. My wife and her team have been working on plans based on the strategies they are given, for over a month. Now what the superintendent does with that information is a different story. Im certainly not happy with the leadership and actions of someone we pay a quarter of a million dollars a year for.

But rest assured, districts are putting plans together. We have tentative plans for all grade levels and transportation already over here. Is it feasible? No clue. But there are plans, wheels are and have been in motion. Not for as long as I would have liked though. Seems like an after thought. And thats one thing that scares me.

My reference was to a national plan.

Is there a particular reason why a national plan is necessary or would even be beneficial? My impression is that we tend to leave most management of school to State and local agencies and officials. I’m not sure that having the federal government lay out a plan that all school districts would have to adhere to would actually serve the students or faculty. We know that every school district, and even every school, have their own specific circumstances, student loads, surrounding community, etc.

Moreover, do we really want a plan from Sec Devos?

i am not a guy who thinks a check is the answer to everything. however, i do think the real tragedy of this pandemic in this country is the lack of national response and leadership. govt is not the answer to every problem, but it exists for crises that affect a whole nation. no, i don't want betsy devos in charge of anything, and that's why i'm ambivalent about school opening. but i do think it would be nice of our country behaved like responsible countries, where there is a regimen that includes testing, contact tracing, an epidemiological approach to school openings that is science-based deployed across the country, with whatever funding is reasonably needed.

in my area, orange county is the recalcitrant county. they're opening their schools up. not because they have plan. because it's the republican thing to do. that's not a plan.

I think, in our country, the plans for this stuff are supposed to be formed and led at the State level and below, but I agree that we need better leadership from the federal government to shape those plans. The federal govt should be providing objective science based guidance, best practices, and assurances of support to the States so that the States can execute their plans.

Most other countries are not republics, made up of 50 or so (supposed to be) fairly independent States.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: LA Senator to Folks who support Teachers and their safety: they can kiss my ass [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Slowman wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
Strategies vary from district to district. My wife and her team have been working on plans based on the strategies they are given, for over a month. Now what the superintendent does with that information is a different story. Im certainly not happy with the leadership and actions of someone we pay a quarter of a million dollars a year for.

But rest assured, districts are putting plans together. We have tentative plans for all grade levels and transportation already over here. Is it feasible? No clue. But there are plans, wheels are and have been in motion. Not for as long as I would have liked though. Seems like an after thought. And thats one thing that scares me.

My reference was to a national plan.

Is there a particular reason why a national plan is necessary or would even be beneficial? My impression is that we tend to leave most management of school to State and local agencies and officials. I’m not sure that having the federal government lay out a plan that all school districts would have to adhere to would actually serve the students or faculty. We know that every school district, and even every school, have their own specific circumstances, student loads, surrounding community, etc.

Moreover, do we really want a plan from Sec Devos?

i am not a guy who thinks a check is the answer to everything. however, i do think the real tragedy of this pandemic in this country is the lack of national response and leadership. govt is not the answer to every problem, but it exists for crises that affect a whole nation. no, i don't want betsy devos in charge of anything, and that's why i'm ambivalent about school opening. but i do think it would be nice of our country behaved like responsible countries, where there is a regimen that includes testing, contact tracing, an epidemiological approach to school openings that is science-based deployed across the country, with whatever funding is reasonably needed.

in my area, orange county is the recalcitrant county. they're opening their schools up. not because they have plan. because it's the republican thing to do. that's not a plan.

I think, in our country, the plans for this stuff are supposed to be formed and led at the State level and below, but I agree that we need better leadership from the federal government to shape those plans. The federal govt should be providing objective science based guidance, best practices, and assurances of support to the States so that the States can execute their plans.

Most other countries are not republics, made up of 50 or so (supposed to be) fairly independent States.

if you look at the response to this from western european countries there were variances in rules. germany and italy were not just states, but little kingdoms, until the mid-late 1800s and the german bundesländer, as i understand it, operates not wholly different from our federal system. i agree with you that each state should form its own response based on its own geography, demographics, census, habits, infrastruture, but i also agree with you that what germany had was a federal response. our govt, rather than a mass purchase of necessary goods (tests, masks, vents) flowing to the states, chose to pit the states against each other, driving up prices. the only area where the govt took a federal approach was in drugs, where (for example) all remdesivir is (as i understand it) owned by the fed govt and doled out on an as-needed basis. otherwise, our fed govt is actively inactive. it's inactivity is its own political statement.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: LA Senator to Folks who support Teachers and their safety: they can kiss my ass [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
Wow. Have a cup of coffee and breathe...

I’m all for local authorities coming up with their own plans that make sense for their particular districts. But as Slowman says, this should be done based on science, and national guidelines could still be helpful. The CDC issued some. Then the WH said they were “too tough.” Now they don’t want CDC guidelines to be considered at all.

Further, federal funding could help local districts implement the necessary logistical changes they will be forced to make to allow safe learning, both in and out of the classroom. That is why national leadership that involves cooperation and support, not threats of defunding, is important.

For sure. I agree the federal funding is important, I dont know all the ins and outs of the strings attached there. From what I remember the aid should come regardless of who created the plan, as it does with other things.

Youre right with federal guidelines. Those should help shape local decisions. But we are all over the place there. In fact, it resembles my wife’s district alot in that the central office is telling the to create a plan based on X, Y, and Z, but then rejects the plans because XYZ changed but they didnt tell them. And then they stop communicating, its a shit show.

Im good, btw. Had my coffee. No harsh sentiments were in my posts if it seemed that way. You and I have differing opinions on some things but you challenge me to think harder and I like getting into it. Theres frustration in my posts at times, but no animation while typing. I think sometimes my cursing, caps and “!” convey emotion that isnt there. I should really work on that for discussion purposes. Bold and italics are probably better suited to highlight those things. And I just curse like a sailor on a daily basis so its more normal that it is emotional. Even when responding to Jane as much as her posting frustrates me. Im never animated or emotional, its just a forum. Seriously, Im good. The LR is one of my guilty pleasure escapes. I dont ruin those good things with emotion and it takes quite a bit to get me riled.
Quote Reply
Re: LA Senator to Teachers: they can kiss my ass [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
If you are being held against your will and being forced to make this statement please use the word pineapples in your next post so we know to come rescue you.

This actually made me lol.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
I talked with a good friend of mine and fairly regular contributor to the LR this morning. And his assessment was that: my title misrepresented the statements made by Sen. Kennedy and that you and others were correct to call me for it. I went back to reading the thread and I do agree. I was wrong and I apologize for this.
Maybe I get Trump fatigue, and just saw his comments and took them as more gaslighting Trump style. Maybe I get just covid fatigue for looking at the damn data all the time at work. Either way, even though my intent was not to misrepresent what he said, I realize that I saw this with a very thick anti-conservative bias. In the future, I will try to be maybe less quick to type, and try to not post when I'm pissed at the situation we are in.
So, I do apologize, and thank the couple of you (you, yeeper for instance) who took the time to call me out on it, albeit in a fair manner, and helped me see my errors.

Appreciate the post. And the Trump fatigue.

Just know that some of us called you on some portions of your comments because we value the expertise you bring to this forum in certain areas and it was concerning to see you take positions that might damage your overall "status" here.
Quote Reply
Re: LA Senator to Teachers: they can kiss my ass [Tylertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, that's probably not the last time I'm on the wrong side of the fence. I'm fully aware I get hot-headed on the forum. But I'm willing to be corrected. You just have to insist a lot. That's my stubborn Aussie side. As windy pointed out, the French side capitulates fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
Well, that's probably not the last time I'm on the wrong side of the fence. I'm fully aware I get hot-headed on the forum. But I'm willing to be corrected. You just have to insist a lot. That's my stubborn Aussie side. As windy pointed out, the French side capitulates fast.

we all get there. Especially easy to happen here.

and you're not "wrong" with most of this. Just over the top in a few areas
Last edited by: Tylertri: Jul 16, 20 8:12
Quote Reply
Re: LA Senator to Folks who support Teachers and their safety: they can kiss my ass [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
Yeeper wrote:

My wife's school has a plan but there are so many holes that it is a joke. It comes down to wear a mask and use common sense. My wife teaches 2nd grade, when does common sense come into play?

Right!? Its comical but also scary. The younger kids may struggle with keeping masks on. Its a tactile thing on your face no less. I can see kids struggling to keep solid boundaries. I feel for them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:

While we’re on the topic of Windy, can we all agree that when you told him to kiss your ass, you missed a big opportunity to tell him to “French kiss” your ass? Dont mess that up again.

He prob is banned. Wonder for how long.
Quote Reply
Re: LA Senator to Teachers: they can kiss my ass [Yeeper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a fair point. Although that answer was meant to be tongue in cheek given the article I posted. The follow up answer to him, not so and so I deleted it.
I like windy when he PMs me a lot more than when he answers on the forum.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
That's a fair point. Although that answer was meant to be tongue in cheek given the article I posted. The follow up answer to him, not so and so I deleted it. I like windy when he PMs me a lot more than when he answers on the forum.

i activated his account this morning, but he probably hasn't tried it yet. instead i suspect he's reading from his stealth account. which is another violation (multiple accounts). however as with trump at a certain point you just learn to overlook the infractions that would apply to others.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is interesting to observe that the people who don’t understand why Windy got sent to the cooler are the same who cannot grasp the significance of leading with “these are people whose hate America.”

The senator does not actually want to have a debate about schools opening. In two weeks the only thing his base will remember is that people who don’t want to open schools hate America.

And in two weeks we won’t remember what this argument was about, but we will remember that Windy made a point to call out Francois’ ethnicity as a point of weakness.
Quote Reply
Re: LA Senator to Teachers: they can kiss my ass [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Francois wrote:
That's a fair point. Although that answer was meant to be tongue in cheek given the article I posted. The follow up answer to him, not so and so I deleted it. I like windy when he PMs me a lot more than when he answers on the forum.

i activated his account this morning, but he probably hasn't tried it yet. instead i suspect he's reading from his stealth account. which is another violation (multiple accounts). however as with trump at a certain point you just learn to overlook the infractions that would apply to others.

You are a kind god. If I could figure out gifs Id post the Waynes World “we’re not worthy!”
Quote Reply
Re: LA Senator to Teachers: they can kiss my ass [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
It is interesting to observe that the people who don’t understand why Windy got sent to the cooler are the same who cannot grasp the significance of leading with “these are people whose hate America.”

The senator does not actually want to have a debate about schools opening. In two weeks the only thing his base will remember is that people who don’t want to open schools hate America.

This was basically the point I’ve been trying to make, and why I didn’t understand Yeeper’s willingness to “give him the benefit of the doubt.” There is no doubt he was just gaslighting, and I simply don’t understand how people shrug that behavior from our public officials off.

We’re not talking about a squabble over a minor state budget line item. We’re talking about keeping our kids and teachers safe amid a global pandemic. There should be no place for gaslighting, and no tolerance for elected officials who do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:

And in two weeks we won’t remember what this argument was about, but we will remember that Windy made a point to call out Francois’ ethnicity as a point of weakness.

Which is why I think Francois was forced to make a hostage video.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:

That took some testicular fortitude Francois. Not many have the ability to apologize here. +10 man points for you.....much respect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:

I didnt question why Windy got a timeout. That much was clear from the start.

Also, I dont believe Windy saw anythung as s “point of weakness.” He has his sense of humor, crude or not. Maybe Im wrong, who knows.

And apparently we disagree on the senator’s quote about what he wants. It is not uncommon for politicians to seize the moment to take up a news cycle, if thats what happened as you and Kay claim. Im just nit as outraged by that or what/how It was said.
Quote Reply
Re: LA Senator to Teachers: they can kiss my ass [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Francois wrote:

Or maybe like Biden and you forget you already have an account after your fifth nap
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your line, “I am not as outraged...” is bullshit. You’ve commented over and over in this thread. You’re position is that this person whose primary job functions include communicating with the public chose to lead with “these people hate america,” because he wants to have an honest debate about opening schools.

And you are confused about why WW was banned. Your misuse of the word “crude,” aside, it wasnt because Dan doesn’t appreciate his sense of humor. It is because letting shit like that slide is exactly why you don’t blink when a senator insinuates that people who don’t want schools open hate America. That has become so easy for you that it goes right past you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And you are confused about why WW was banned.//

I just think it is funny that you all are talking about him while he is back in the room.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Windy and I PMed today. He said sorry. I’m sure he read my apologies. I said sorry too. He also said I can tell him to go fuck off anytime and that he’s thick skinned and I told him well I’m hot headed.
So it may happen again. But I’ll still try to double check my biases.

And I hope this fucking year improves. Especially with my daughter arriving in the world in just two months.
Quote Reply

Prev Next