Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: choosing a gravel bike [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Slowman wrote:

where do you live, and on what sort of stuff do you intend to ride? i ask because 45mm is not a wide tire. 53mm is a wide tire. in my opinion, the gravel bike of my present is the gravel bike of a lot of peoples' futures: one bike with two sets of wheels: 50-55mm tires on a set of 650b wheels, and another set of 700 wheels that might have 28mm to 32mm tires for road or mostly road with rideable dirt.

Personally, I think you're still a bit premature on that...if only for the fact that there aren't any 650B tires in that size that perform as well as the best 700C x 38-43C range tires out there.

Then again, if tire makers get smart and...and let's say...create a 650B x 50+ version of a Conti Terra Speed, then I'll fully agree.

I raise you the Continental Speed King II in 650bx2.2" :)
Quote Reply
Re: choosing a gravel bike [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I raise you the NS Rag+ (don't know why it says "coming soon" I've had mine for two years). 27.5x2.2"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.norco.com/...uminum/search-xr-a2/

Norco spec that tire size on all models from this one up
Quote Reply
Re: choosing a gravel bike [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevie g wrote:

Norco spec that tire size on all models from this one up

That looks like a 38mm g one bite. I’m riding a 53mm size in 650b

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You will have to forgive me lack of tech speak:

That looks like a 38mm g one bite.?

Down in the geometry they spec max tire size
Last edited by: stevie g: Jul 14, 20 17:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevie g wrote:
You will have to forgive me lack of tech speak:

That looks like a 38mm g one bite.?

Down in the geometry they spec max tire size

okay. here's what i see. yes, you can put a 650b on there, and you can spec it with that. but i have 2 concerns. first, i don't see that the spec changes to a larger tire size when you choose the 650b. second, what i think i see is that the largest tire you can put on that bike is a 47mm with a 650b. you can put a 2.1", which is 53mm, on a 26" wheel if you spec that. however, that's not a 650b. a 650b has a bead diameter of 584mm. a 700c is 622mm. a 26" mountain bike wheel is 559mm. that 559mm wheel is not the wheel the cool kids ride.

but maybe i'm still misreading.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is not an easy read.

Ah I see, if you get the 650 you can run the big tire otherwise its a max of 40. And thye don't offer 650 on anything but the smallest frame.

Giant and I think Trek offer up to 45 though

Some one has done the work though.

https://bikepacking.com/...x/650b-gravel-bikes/

The Diverge https://www.specialized.com/...?color=290949-175289

Claims to be able to fit 650 or 700 wheels
Last edited by: stevie g: Jul 14, 20 19:36
Quote Reply
Re: choosing a gravel bike [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
Slowman wrote:

where do you live, and on what sort of stuff do you intend to ride? i ask because 45mm is not a wide tire. 53mm is a wide tire. in my opinion, the gravel bike of my present is the gravel bike of a lot of peoples' futures: one bike with two sets of wheels: 50-55mm tires on a set of 650b wheels, and another set of 700 wheels that might have 28mm to 32mm tires for road or mostly road with rideable dirt.

Personally, I think you're still a bit premature on that...if only for the fact that there aren't any 650B tires in that size that perform as well as the best 700C x 38-43C range tires out there.

Then again, if tire makers get smart and...and let's say...create a 650B x 50+ version of a Conti Terra Speed, then I'll fully agree.

Yeah...but 2.2" is a bit bigger (56mm?) than the ~50-55mm Slowman mentioned, and probably only fits in hardtail MTBs...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: Jul 14, 20 19:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
Slowman wrote:

Yeah...but 2.2" is a bit bigger (56mm?) than the ~50-55mm Slowman mentioned, and probably only fits in hardtail MTBs...

my gravel bike, the OPEN WI.DE, will take up to 57mm i believe. but this is tough, because gravel bikes run road crank and Q widths (150mm +/-). this is 25mm to 30mm narrower than MTB, and this is why it's hard to get gravel bikes to have enough tire clearance for 50+mm tires while also enough chain stay clearance on the outside to accept a road crank. for example, one thing my bike gives up is the capacity to run anything bigger than a 42t ring on a 1x rig, but that's fine, because i'm running a 42t now and i'm thinking of going down to a 40t as it is (this is what makes SRAM's 10t, 12sp, 10-50 a nice shift system).

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: choosing a gravel bike [HTupolev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HTupolev wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
Tires bigger than 40C are not necessary unless you are bikepacking, going slow, or are a heavier rider.

Some areas just have a lot of aggregate that merits using tires bigger than 40mm.

Oftentimes people say that if the surface demands tires bigger than 40mm, it's better to use an MTB. I think this misses the point of what an MTB actually is: optimized for technicality. Not all routes with chunky gravel are technical. If you've got roads with chunky aggregate that aren't technical, and especially if your riding also has pavement mixed in, using fat fast-rolling tires on a road-esque gravel bike can be significantly faster and more fun than using a mountain bike.

And in my area, even on roads that are mostly pretty smooth, sometimes there's spots where giant aggregate was dumped to ensure good drainage or whatever on the cheap. Here's a particularly nasty one from a recent ride:

I see wheels and tires damaged all the time on that kind of crap, and nobody wants to hike-a-bike every time they see a rough patch. Bigger tires reduce the risks, protect equipment.

Yikes. That is MTB terrain in my book, but my MTB is still a hard tail.

This discussion has been interesting because people seem to have really different views on the use case for a gravel bike. I am lucky in that I live next to the foothills. If I turn right out of the driveway it is just technical single track (I.e., MTB). Go left and it is out to the plains. That is just gravel roads and mild smooth double track if you are out in the middle of nowhere. I suppose that is why the 650b option seemed necessary to me.
Quote Reply
Re: choosing a gravel bike [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Yikes. That is MTB terrain in my book

That specific spot, sure. But that patch was barely bigger than what you can see in the photograph; the vast majority of the gravel was reasonable. Some was even quite smooth stuff like this:

And roughly half of the 79 miles I rode that day were on paved roads.
Last edited by: HTupolev: Jul 14, 20 22:01
Quote Reply
Re: choosing a gravel bike [HTupolev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry dude, that's MTB terrain. I don't care if it's a "road".
Quote Reply
Re: choosing a gravel bike [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Sorry dude, that's MTB terrain. I don't care if it's a "road".

That was a short patch of that stuff, barely longer than what you can see in the photograph. I wasn't saying that my whole rides are like that, I was saying that >40mm tires are handy for minimizing risk of equipment damage if you're sometimes rolling through patches like that.
I was not using that photo as an example of my "roads with chunky aggregate that aren't technical" comment.

Obviously if you have a ride that has surfaces like that representing a large fraction of the total distance, you're going to want some serious travel.
Last edited by: HTupolev: Jul 15, 20 14:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
in my opinion, the gravel bike of my present is the gravel bike of a lot of peoples' futures: one bike with two sets of wheels: 50-55mm tires on a set of 650b wheels, and another set of 700 wheels that might have 28mm to 32mm tires for road or mostly road with rideable dirt.

I think I'm might also be riding a "gravel bike of the future." I'm on a 2020 Salsa Warbird. Bought it with 700x42 wheels but just got a set of 650's. Currently running 47's but I think it can go up to 2.1 (53?). I haven't done it yet but I'm also putting 32's on the 700 wheels as my second setup.
Quote Reply
Re: choosing a gravel bike [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Quote:
in my opinion, the gravel bike of my present is the gravel bike of a lot of peoples' futures: one bike with two sets of wheels: 50-55mm tires on a set of 650b wheels, and another set of 700 wheels that might have 28mm to 32mm tires for road or mostly road with rideable dirt.

I think I'm might also be riding a "gravel bike of the future." I'm on a 2020 Salsa Warbird. Bought it with 700x42 wheels but just got a set of 650's. Currently running 47's but I think it can go up to 2.1 (53?). I haven't done it yet but I'm also putting 32's on the 700 wheels as my second setup.

it sounds to me like you are set. 2.54 x 2.1" = 53.34mm

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: choosing a gravel bike [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Completely agree. I have the GP Pro - it's awesome. I love this bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just upgraded to the 2020 Pivot Vault from my Niner BSB (which technically is a CX bike), because I wanted to run wider tires. Based on the reviews, the Pivot seemed to check all of the boxes that I was looking for and had the type of handling I like. I've had no trouble riding 700x45s on it (they say max is 47, but you might go bigger on a 1x system. I did learn you want something like the GRX FD though for tire clearance. I've been running Panaracer Gravelking SKs 650x1.9 (measure at a little over 2) with plenty of clearance. The 650s at 2" are downright fun and much more confidence inspiring than 700x32s!

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After owning, and selling a couple of CX bikes, I built my own Gravel bike

What I wanted: Titanium Frame, Clearance for big tires, large gear range

Frame is a 1991 Dynatec Titanium frame, which cost me $150
Groupset is Shimano GRX 800 40 tooth chainset with 11-46 cassette
Brakes are Avid Shorty Ultimate Cantilevers
Stem is Tune Titanium
Seat Post is Tune Titanium
Bars, Easton EC90 carbon 44cm
Wheels 26' DT Swiss Hugi
Tires Continental Gravel King 2.2
Weight 9.1kg (20 lb)
Saddle Selle Italia Titanium (135g)

The only new parts were the Groupset and brakes, rest was sourced from used market

Discs would have been nice, however, I can't believe how good the Avid Cantilevers are. One advantage is that they save around 1.5lb over discs. In the future, I may change the fork and have a 700c front wheel with disc brake

Bike is simply brilliant, rides nicely on road, with relatively low rolling resistance tires, according to bicyclerollingresistance.com these are the lowest resistance tires in their category. Geometry on the old MB frame is spot on. I love the way Titanium frames ride, especially on gravel, where it seems to have hit a sweet spot between compliance while being plenty stiff enough to drive power.

I've done a few gravel rides since the build, grabbed a bunch of gravel KOMs, and have no problem driving the pace when riding with friends, who are on modern CX or Gravel bikes
Last edited by: mattsurf: Jul 16, 20 0:32
Quote Reply
Re: choosing a gravel bike [mattsurf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattsurf wrote:
Frame is a 1991 Dynatec Titanium frame, which cost me $150

Would love to see more detailed pics of that fork.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 2.2 inch continental speed King has a lower rolling resistance than every "gravel" tire tested. (see link)

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/...ng-ii-racesport-2015

In fact the lowest rolling resistance tire ever tested is the 2.35 inch schwalbe G-one speed. 10.8 watts setup tubeless is pretty damn good for floating on a cloud of a tire.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/...chwalbe-big-one-2016

Wider, treadless tires roll faster on everything except a buffed out velodrome. They are more comfortable and give better grip too. Really no downsides to a wider tire for gravel. Maybe slight couple watt aero disadvantage, but I don't think your taint cares much about a 8 watt aero advantage rumbling at 25 MPH down a gravel road.
Quote Reply
Re: choosing a gravel bike [xcskier66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are correct, I have the Race King, which is the second fastest Gravel Tire, the Speed King is indeed faster. As you also pointed out, double the RR of the best road tires, so losing 20W at 40kph as well as bucket load of Aero, I would guess at least another 20-30w. So even though mg Gravel bike may be nice on the road, I still need to push out 50w more to travel at 40kph (25mph). In reality I just ride a litlle slower, the Gravel bike is easy enough to ride at 32 kph (20mph), which is faster than most people ride their road bike
Quote Reply
Re: choosing a gravel bike [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's an Iconic UGLY fork that was original fit. Interestingly the Titanium fork that was fitted to the XTR spec bike is actually worth less now than the UGLY fork

Quote Reply
Re: choosing a gravel bike [mattsurf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been looking at a Trek Boone 5. Decent price à 40% off. Anyone have any thoughts about using it as a gravel bike and as a road bike with separate wheels? It says maximum 38 mm tires which kind of bums me out. I am running 40s on my current bike (Garneau aluminium gravel bike). I am thinking that a Boone 5 could be a decent upgrade from my aluminium gravel bike as well as my aluminium road bike. Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevie g wrote:
Help needed to buy yet another bike, from research, yes I used the search function:

1. Wheel clearance is becoming king.
2. CX bikes are well for CX.
3. More upright comfort is good, unless doing CX in which case buy a CX bike.
4. 40 and bigger tires are good
5. Run tubeless

So I think the Giant Revolt offers a good option, takes up to 45 wide tires. Thinking that gravel is not my main thing so go with the Tiagra model.

The question is around the giant semi Hydraulic brake, having run a mechanical disc before, i thought it was flat out dangerous, anyone have any experience of the semi hydraulic, as you have to spend more than a $1000 ore to get full hydraulic?

CyclingTips did a mass review of gravel bikes that they further distilled into a longer-form thought exercise:

https://cyclingtips.com/...hoose-a-gravel-bike/
Quote Reply
Re: choosing a gravel bike [atomicstabby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
atomicstabby wrote:
I have been looking at a Trek Boone 5. Decent price à 40% off. Anyone have any thoughts about using it as a gravel bike and as a road bike with separate wheels? It says maximum 38 mm tires which kind of bums me out. I am running 40s on my current bike (Garneau aluminium gravel bike). I am thinking that a Boone 5 could be a decent upgrade from my aluminium gravel bike as well as my aluminium road bike. Cheers

My Crockett has the same geometry and it rides very well on gravel, did a gravel century on it last week. I ride it all the time on road as well but haven't done any group rides as the 1x gearing is low. I'd expect the Boone to ride even better.

I have three friends who have damaged their Boone frames in cx races or practices. Two were warrantied, the third refused. Seat tube cracked on rough descents in two cases and seatstay cracked on the third when the wind sent a plastic stake against it. All cases were normal cx use that I expect any cx bike to stand up to, on that basis I wouldn't touch a Boone unless it was a huge bargain price.
Quote Reply

Prev Next