Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [Bretom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bretom wrote:
Here's the AAP guidance:

https://services.aap.org/...ducation-in-schools/

Interesting. I know where our school districts are getting their plans from. I think it's feasible to implement the 3 to 6 foot desk hygiene and masks. Cohort below HS is easy. Not overly daunting IMO.
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [RZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RZ wrote:
windywave wrote:
Terminate their pensions boon for local government
You already know this is impossible in Illinois.

Thanks for shitting all over this thread with your dumb argument about teacher salaries. The majority of new teachers are fresh out of college, are very green and aren't paid jack shit. They won't be protected by tenure, and a lot of them this year probably didn't even get far enough to be licensed by the state".

Cite to a source please
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
RZ wrote:
windywave wrote:

Thanks for shitting all over this thread with your dumb argument about teacher salaries. The majority of new teachers are fresh out of college, are very green and aren't paid jack shit. They won't be protected by tenure, and a lot of them this year probably didn't even get far enough to be licensed by the state".

Cite to a source please

Where do you think new teachers come from mister Sea-lion?

Now fuck off.
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [RZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RZ wrote:
windywave wrote:
RZ wrote:
windywave wrote:

Cite to a source please

Now fuck off.

The majority of teachers are fresh out of college and unlicensed is what i'm calling BS on
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
RZ wrote:
windywave wrote:
RZ wrote:
windywave wrote:

Cite to a source please

Now fuck off.

The majority of teachers are fresh out of college and unlicensed is what i'm calling BS on

Here’s why you will not see this. You have already stated your district is a top outlier on pay. So let’s say the 20% of teachers who quit are evenly distributed- but we know that’s not true - you will have less attrition due to the cost benefit analysis with top salaries already. But if it was evenly distributed- your 20% will be filled with experienced teachers from the next tier of schools and so on down. Leaving the bottom tier of schools trying to fill 40% + with whomever they can hire last minute to replace the teachers you hired away from them.

It will be great for those in the million dollar homes- as our US school system has pretty much become a wealth building tool for homeowners. As your schools get disproportionately better so will your house prices. You’ll throw a mill levy in and the US system that was designed to aid mobility in society will continue doing exactly the opposite of that. Reserving the best public education for those who have an extremely high housing budget and reinforcing income inequality.

So, you should be good!

And you can keep trying to shut down conversations about the real worries that a large portion of the country will face because that’s not how it looks from your McMansion.
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
What happens when 20% of the bus drivers drop out? Or not enough Janitors to clean everything?

---
I think transportation logistics are going to be a huge barrier. The current recommendation is for 1 child per seat and everyone in masks. When the old system had 2-3 kids per seat, there's a huge disconnect between the recommendation and the reality of the situation.

As for the janitors... I think the onus will be placed, once again, on the teachers to clean and sanitize their rooms on a regular basis. Someone likened it to being a pre-school teacher who basically wipes everything down during recess and again at the end of the day. I also have no idea how they're going to monitor or manage all of the safety precautions that are on the list. It seems unattainable at this moment.

From the bolded...and after that figure out how to plan; for science - set up or take down a lab; then grade; then go home and record the on line teaching video. Oh, then prep for the test.

I am telling you the teachers are going to get shit on so bad, that the coming shortage will be massive.
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
windywave wrote:
RZ wrote:
windywave wrote:
RZ wrote:
windywave wrote:

Cite to a source please

Now fuck off.

Here’s why you will not see this. You have already stated your district is a top outlier on pay. So let’s say the 20% of teachers who quit are evenly distributed- but we know that’s not true - you will have less attrition due to the cost benefit analysis with top salaries already. But if it was evenly distributed- your 20% will be filled with experienced teachers from the next tier of schools and so on down. Leaving the bottom tier of schools trying to fill 40% + with whomever they can hire last minute to replace the teachers you hired away from them.

It will be great for those in the million dollar homes- as our US school system has pretty much become a wealth building tool for homeowners. As your schools get disproportionately better so will your house prices. You’ll throw a mill levy in and the US system that was designed to aid mobility in society will continue doing exactly the opposite of that. Reserving the best public education for those who have an extremely high housing budget and reinforcing income inequality.

So, you should be good!

And you can keep trying to shut down conversations about the real worries that a large portion of the country will face because that’s not how it looks from your McMansion.

McMansion? Please. It's a normal house.

What you describe may happen but I actually don't think it will. Commutes plus union rules i.e. seniority utilization of leave of absence would mean the HS here would probably use subs if they needed bodies (or increase workload within union rules) and the number of permanent hires would be low.
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [onboost91] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was talking to a school principle who was trying to figure out what to do. Her superintendent was in the middle of a two week vacation and she figured the district couldn't wait until they came back to start to figure things out. She is getting the administrators together to talk about options. It doesn't sound like they are getting any sort of guidance from the state or federal levels, so they are just talking about what they are hearing other schools are thinking of doing. It would be nice if they had some sort detailed guidance from experts or guidelines that they can work from.

On top of all that, they have no idea what the situation will be like a month from now.
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
I was talking to a school principle who was trying to figure out what to do. Her superintendent was in the middle of a two week vacation and she figured the district couldn't wait until they came back to start to figure things out. She is getting the administrators together to talk about options. It doesn't sound like they are getting any sort of guidance from the state or federal levels, so they are just talking about what they are hearing other schools are thinking of doing. It would be nice if they had some sort detailed guidance from experts or guidelines that they can work from.

On top of all that, they have no idea what the situation will be like a month from now.

American Academy of Pediatrics that someone graciously found for my dumbass would be a good start
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to chime in and say you're doing a great job, WW, keep it up!

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:

Thanks Barry. Validation from you means the world to me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
BarryP wrote:

Thanks Barry. Validation from you means the world to me

Hang in there, Buckaroo! You got this!

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:

Well, just in case they didn't have enough to think about, our wonderfully eloquent POTUS just threatened to cut off funding if schools don't re-open. Oh, stop with the sweet talk you dirty dog you.

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

In Germany, Denmark, Norway, Sweden and many other countries, SCHOOLS ARE OPEN WITH NO PROBLEMS. The Dems think it would be bad for them politically if U.S. schools open before the November Election, but is important for the children & families. May cut off funding if not open!
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NEW CASES PER DAY: (July 7)
Germany - 397
Denmark - 47
Norway - 35
Sweden - 57
United States - 60,000+

wants all the rewards with none of the work.
Last edited by: sosayusall: Jul 8, 20 10:42
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [sosayusall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sosayusall wrote:
NEW CASES PER DAY: (July 7)
Germany - 397
Denmark - 47
Norway - 35
Sweden - 57
United States - 60,000+

wants all the rewards with none of the work.

yeah, but what about per capita numbers? clearly those countries have stopped testing while we ramp up. our numbers are larger because of our less homogeneous demographics. OK, i'm out of snarky replies for a single post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just saw on the NYC news that teachers who don't feel safe when school re-opens will be allowed to teach on-line classes.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
I just saw on the NYC news that teachers who don't feel safe when school re-opens will be allowed to teach on-line classes.

did they happen to discuss what happens when Trump cuts their funding for not holding in-person classes or is that threat too recent for serious consideration?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This just popped up in my news feed- using a 20% attrition number too.

https://time.com/...rus-teachers-school/

How does this trickle down to qualified adults in the classroom when school opens in a month? How much notice do teachers have to give?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fairfax County VA, are making people choose by 10 July:

2 days at school with two other days work set but no tuition; or

4 days online;

Parents must choose by 10 July and its locked in for the 20/21 school year. Without any change in spread, behaviour or a vaccine, that's going to be tough on teachers, parents and kids.

All because a small part of the population won't stay home and the president won't do his job.
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevie g wrote:

4 days online;

Parents must choose by 10 July and its locked in for the 20/21 school year. Without any change in spread, behaviour or a vaccine, that's going to be tough on teachers, parents and kids.

All because a small part of the population won't stay home and the president won't do his job.

Our family made our decision last night. The school gave us 2 options. Attend school daily or attend school daily via internet. We reviewed and discussed their preventative steps but strongly felt they were inadequate.

We chose to attend via the internet. This election is for the entire year. 1st grade for my grandson. We (his parents and one set of grand parents) will all step up to facilitate his education. We will create a classroom, including desk, computer, etc. and have a dedicated time for his daily learning. This is not home schooling. I see it as a hybrid. Curriculum, daily interaction, testing, are set by the public school. We just do the implementing.

We all have made sacrifices to keep our family safe. None of us eat out, play sports (golf, soccer, run), or otherwise interact with non family. We do not allow others into our family isolation unit. We do not want him to go to school, contract the virus, and spread it to the rest of us in our family isolation unit.
Last edited by: Harbinger: Jul 9, 20 2:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
torrey wrote:

Well, just in case they didn't have enough to think about, our wonderfully eloquent POTUS just threatened to cut off funding if schools don't re-open. Oh, stop with the sweet talk you dirty dog you.

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

In Germany, Denmark, Norway, Sweden and many other countries, SCHOOLS ARE OPEN WITH NO PROBLEMS. The Dems think it would be bad for them politically if U.S. schools open before the November Election, but is important for the children & families. May cut off funding if not open!

Not that it comes as a surprise to anyone, but this is of course another blatant lie. Schools in Germany are operating at very limited capacity, allowing only small numbers of students in classrooms at any given time. Depending on municipality, different models have been implemented to achieve that; most students are schooled at home for much of the school week.
The situation in Denmark is similar (a little bit more relaxed, but also with strict hygiene measures in place), so also still far from normal. Even Sweden has restricted in-person teaching for highschool-level students, and they are not doing so great anyway.
Don't know about Norway, but they definitely have extremely low infection numbers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
Sweeney wrote:

did they happen to discuss what happens when Trump cuts their funding for not holding in-person classes or is that threat too recent for serious consideration?

Not specifically to you but why are schools in the United States held hostage to Federal Funding? Is that freedom? Everywhere else I am aware of schools are funded much more locally.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
I’m curious where people see this school opening going. Where we are they are talking about a lot of kids in person 2.5 days a week. Where does that put teachers with kids who has to teach two groups for 5 days but kids are only in school 2.5 days a week? Between that and family/ personal health issues on top of the current high turnover - is there a chance we just have a massive teacher shortage come fall?

How would that play out?

Where do they get subs to cover for teacher who for themselves or a family member have to quarantine for 14 days?

I suspect private school enrollments might be up. At least among those who can afford to pay. Do people want their kids education to be held hostage by political infighting?

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Harbinger wrote:
stevie g wrote:

4 days online;

Our family made our decision last night. The school gave us 2 options. Attend school daily or attend school daily via internet. We reviewed and discussed their preventative steps but strongly felt they were inadequate.

We chose to attend via the internet. This election is for the entire year. 1st grade for my grandson. We (his parents and one set of grand parents) will all step up to facilitate his education. We will create a classroom, including desk, computer, etc. and have a dedicated time for his daily learning. This is not home schooling. I see it as a hybrid. Curriculum, daily interaction, testing, are set by the public school. We just do the implementing.

We all have made sacrifices to keep our family safe. None of us eat out, play sports (golf, soccer, run), or otherwise interact with non family. We do not allow others into our family isolation unit. We do not want him to go to school, contract the virus, and spread it to the rest of us in our family isolation unit.

We made the same decision in May for daycare. I don’t remember exactly when they decided to open but we thought it was crazy. We hired a nanny for both the kids 1.5 and almost 4. It’s more than daycare by quite a bit but there really isn’t much of another option for us. That is my concern for next year though, our daughter would be starting kindergarten. If this is the same situation in a year. I don’t see that happening and she’ll do Online/home school with the nanny, who has an early childhood development degree anyways.

My father in law, has more health problems than I can count. Nothing self imposed he’s just 75. My dad has shockingly few health problems beyond being overweight, and he’s been doing an amazing job lately working out and that has made a big difference for him.

But if they were in daycare it effectively means we couldn’t see them. One outbreak in the daycare could end up killing either of them. It’s obviously still a risk to see them now. But given everything we’re doing to social distance it’s minimal.

Luckily my wife and I both have very good jobs and are working from home for the foreseeable future. Without that it would be a completely different situation.
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [Grantbot21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not that unreasonable

Quote Reply

Prev Next