Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Bretom wrote:
The plural of anecdote is not data.

Toggle between the options in the graphic in this article. If your high school's average salary is $110k it's an aberration - in Illinois and even more so nationally.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/...altrysxr4-story.html

Can't get to article. I realize the school districts I live in are at the top end, why do you think I chose to move here and pay an obscene amount in property taxes (which is also at the top end)? Hint it isn't spelled skool. But it also is not a complete outlier. There are a lot of school districts that pay really well. Some pay a lot less. That's how averages work.

Please provide PROOF that the AVERAGE salary in your high school is $110k. I am very curious to see those salary ranges and the qualifications.
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Harbinger wrote:
windywave wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
windywave wrote:
Low pay? The average salary at my high school is 110K plus benefits the grade school is like 75K.

Every time I am at a loss for words to explain what a clueless doofus you are, I will refer back to this comment. The bubble you grew up in is not representative of the rest of the country. Ignorance truly is bliss.

It was a statement of fact. There are many school districts with comparable pay. It's just a giant fucking bubble then, right?

Google "Average teacher pay in Chicago" and "Average teacher pay in Illinois". Both will show that they are in the $60k range.

Please quit digging.

Again genius all I did was state facts of my school districts. At any point did I dispute the average figures?
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trispoke wrote:
windywave wrote:
Bretom wrote:

Toggle between the options in the graphic in this article. If your high school's average salary is $110k it's an aberration - in Illinois and even more so nationally.

Can't get to article. I realize the school districts I live in are at the top end, why do you think I chose to move here and pay an obscene amount in property taxes (which is also at the top end)? Hint it isn't spelled skool. But it also is not a complete outlier. There are a lot of school districts that pay really well. Some pay a lot less. That's how averages work.

Please provide PROOF that the AVERAGE salary in your high school is $110k. I am very curious to see those salary ranges and the qualifications.

There are a few that have an average salary in that range, google New Trier. But the fact is they are literally in the top 1% of average salaries in the state.

Using 1% of teachers for your argument, is not an argument to say teachers are well paid.
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trispoke wrote:
windywave wrote:
Bretom wrote:

https://www.illinoisreportcard.com
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
Trispoke wrote:
windywave wrote:
Bretom wrote:

There are a few that have an average salary in that range, google New Trier. But the fact is they are literally in the top 1% of average salaries in the state.

Using 1% of teachers for your argument, is not an argument to say teachers are well paid.

What's my argument? Use direct quotes
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
windywave wrote:
noskcaj46 wrote:
Bretom wrote:

I'm in central IL and don't even make $40,000 a year.

And your cost of living relatively speaking is higher or lower than here?

You do realize that when you mention the cost of living in relation to teacher salaries, your "well paid" argument falls apart even more?

Middle class is what I said
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I haven't read through this thread yet (I will) but thought I'd chime in. My wife took a year long medical leave last year and is due to go back at the end of this month. We live in Florida and the governor issued an order to force everyone back to school by mid August (teachers go back July 31st). We are really stressed out about sending our two girls back to school and over whether my wife should just quit or not. There hasn't really been much communication to the teachers regarding concrete plans and the feedback we are seeing from many of my wife's colleagues are that they are also weighing the risks to themselves and their families vs the reward (low teacher pay). Some teachers have no choice - they cannot afford to not go back. We can afford for my wife not to go back but with two high school aged daughters having a second income and being able to save some for their future would be nice. To complicate our decision one of our daughters wants to go back to school, the other one wants to do virtual school. Virtual school is problematic because she has special needs (and an IEP) so if she stays home really my wife probably can't work. So we are faced with some tough decisions that we have to make with in the next week during a huge surge in Covid in a highly polarized environment where it feels like half the FL population insists that this is all a hoax and there is no damn way they are wearing mask (and therefore I would assume their children won't).

There are so many unanswered questions regarding logistics and safety that it is mind-blowing that Florida isn't even considering starting school later this year. Why not push the school start date to some time in September at least? I would be shocked if the schools aren't forced to shut down again within a few short weeks or that the teachers decide to go on strike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
chaparral wrote:
Trispoke wrote:
windywave wrote:
Bretom wrote:

Someone implied teachers in general had low pay. You said:

"Low pay? The average salary at my high school is 110K plus benefits the grade school is like 75K."

Even if that were true a lot of people have pointed out that that is an outlier. The overwhelming majority of teachers aren't paid close to that. To one of the first you sarcastically replied:

"There are many school districts with comparable pay. It's just a giant fucking bubble then, right?"

I then provided you actual data to show that even if you did know a handful of districts where the average salary is something comparable to $110k / $75k (and we're all just stipulating that at this point) then yes, those districts collectively would represent one giant fucking bubble. Predictably, you ignored that data.

Maybe time to get this thread back on track? Teachers aren't taking a pay cut between now and September even if you're convinced they should. The questions seem to be (1) should schools reopen? (2) if so, how? and (3) with trillions of dollars of federal stimulus sloshing around, are Trump and DeVos going to do anything creative to help that to happen apart from stamp their feet and turn this into yet another front on the culture wars?

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Last edited by: Bretom: Jul 8, 20 8:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
Trispoke wrote:
windywave wrote:
Bretom wrote:

Remember that list of HS above. Why not go to the report card and check out the salaries your 1% comment is false. Spoiler every one I spot checked 100K or higher. Carry on.
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [Bretom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bretom wrote:
windywave wrote:
chaparral wrote:
Trispoke wrote:
windywave wrote:
Bretom wrote:

Someone in general teachers in general had low pay. You said:

"Low pay? The average salary at my high school is 110K plus benefits the grade school is like 75K."

Even if that were true a lot of people have pointed out that that is an outlier. The overwhelming majority of teachers aren't paid close to that. To one of the first you sarcastically replied:

"There are many school districts with comparable pay. It's just a giant fucking bubble then, right?"

I then provided you actual data to show that even if you did know a handful of districts where the average salary is something comparable to $110k / $75k (and we're all just stipulating that at this point) then yes, those districts collectively would represent one giant fucking bubble. Predictably, you ignored that data.

Hey guy see the post above. Not an outlier carry on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
chaparral wrote:
Trispoke wrote:
windywave wrote:
Bretom wrote:

Remember that list of HS above. Why not go to the report card and check out the salaries your 1% comment is false. Spoiler every one I spot checked 100K or higher. Carry on.

In the state, 99% of the schools have lower salaries. Is that not true?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Bretom wrote:
windywave wrote:
chaparral wrote:
Trispoke wrote:
windywave wrote:
Bretom wrote:

Hey guy, there are 13,500 school districts in the US. 5 is quite a lot less than 1% of that. So yes, calling them outliers when I've already shown that Illinois is a national outlier is 100% justified, absent any national data you want to present to the contrasry. I'll tell you what, I'll go easy on you. If you can get to 1% - if you can find a decent source that indicates at least 135 school districts in the US pay something comparable to $110k / $75k on average, I'll cede the point. There's a few in Westchester that's the only hot spot I know well but you could start there. I'll wait.

Last edited by: Bretom: Jul 8, 20 8:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
windywave wrote:
chaparral wrote:
Trispoke wrote:
windywave wrote:
Bretom wrote:

In the state, 99% of the schools have lower salaries. Is that not true?

Than the list I provided? I would have to do the math and then I would have to check the average salary of each district. I'll give you at least 90% probably 95% without doing the work, fair?
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Harbinger wrote:
Moonrocket wrote:
I’m curious where people see this school opening going. Where we are they are talking about a lot of kids in person 2.5 days a week. Where does that put teachers with kids who has to teach two groups for 5 days but kids are only in school 2.5 days a week? Between that and family/ personal health issues on top of the current high turnover - is there a chance we just have a massive teacher shortage come fall?

How would that play out?

Where do they get subs to cover for teacher who for themselves or a family member have to quarantine for 14 days?

I guess Coward Twump has answered your Q. Schools that don't reopen in September will lose federal funding.

No need to protect children from a hoax.

https://www.politico.com/...deral-funding-352311

We need to get this back on track.

Does trump think that covid-19 will vote for him? Because he sure seems to be on covid-19s side here.

He is tweeting that schools should not follow CDC guidance, because it is too tough. What the hell is going on here? He then says he will talk with the CDC to change their guidance. What does he know about this? Why is he going against the experts?

This is just go dangerous and is going to result in people dead. All because the president does not want to deal with a problem. He and his supporters are fine with people dying.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bretom wrote:
windywave wrote:
Bretom wrote:
windywave wrote:
chaparral wrote:
Trispoke wrote:
windywave wrote:
Bretom wrote:

Hey guy, there are 13,500 school districts in the US. 5 is quite a lot less than 1% of that. So yes, calling them outliers when I've already shown that Illinois is a national outlier is 100% justified, absent any national data you want to present to the contrasry. I'll tell you what, I'll go easy on you. If you can get to 1% - if you can find a decent source that indicates at least 135 school districts in the US pay something comparable to $110k / $75k on average, I'll cede the point. There's a few in Westchester that's the only hot spot I know well but you could start there. I'll wait.

I'm talking IL with Chappy you intercede now with national? Like I said to him I'll grant it's on the right side of the distribution
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Moonrocket wrote:
I’m curious where people see this school opening going. Where we are they are talking about a lot of kids in person 2.5 days a week. Where does that put teachers with kids who has to teach two groups for 5 days but kids are only in school 2.5 days a week? Between that and family/ personal health issues on top of the current high turnover - is there a chance we just have a massive teacher shortage come fall?

How would that play out?

Where do they get subs to cover for teacher who for themselves or a family member have to quarantine for 14 days?

I guess Coward Twump has answered your Q. Schools that don't reopen in September will lose federal funding.

No need to protect children from a hoax.

https://www.politico.com/...deral-funding-352311

We need to get this back on track.

Does trump think that covid-19 will vote for him? Because he sure seems to be on covid-19s side here.

He is tweeting that schools should not follow CDC guidance, because it is too tough. What the hell is going on here? He then says he will talk with the CDC to change their guidance. What does he know about this? Why is he going against the experts?

This is just go dangerous and is going to result in people dead. All because the president does not want to deal with a problem. He and his supporters are fine with people dying.

Can you find the American Academy of Pediatrics statement cum guidelines? I couldn't yesterday. I'm curious since the radio News said they differed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're original refutation of the argument that teachers had "Low pay" was directed to soyousallsay (sp?) who didn't appear to be talking about IL. Plenty of replies on the first page gave you the opportunity to refine your post and make clear you were talking about your self defined bubble of outlier Illinois suburbs but you dodged them all.

Last edited by: Bretom: Jul 8, 20 8:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bretom wrote:
You're original refutation of the argument that teachers had "Low pay" was directed to soyousallsay (sp?) who didn't appear to be talking about IL. Plenty of replies on the first page gave you the opportunity to refine your post and make clear you were talking about your self defined bubble of outlier Illinois suburbs but you dodged them all.

I countered with middle class to upper middle class. Refutation of my statement was attempted and found wanting
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [noskcaj46] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get your colleagues organized and strike against unsafe working conditions. It's going to be the only solution if cases are in your area in August.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

Than the list I provided? I would have to do the math and then I would have to check the average salary of each district. I'll give you at least 90% probably 95% without doing the work, fair?

The median salary in New Trier Twp HSD 203 is higher than 99.01% of School District median salaries in Illinois.
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
It was really interesting to read all of the modifications you are making. It’s so clear you care about your students. Thank you!

Thank you. I don't know why these threads always get derailed by the salary topic. I'm not thinking about my salary when I'm prepping my room. It's the farthest thing from my mind. How am I going to keep the children safe, healthy, meet their emotional needs and fears of the mask, teach them to read/write/add/subtract in the midst of all of this chaos. That's what I'm thinking about!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's the AAP guidance:

https://services.aap.org/...ducation-in-schools/

They strongly recommend in-person teaching but, notably have a long list of recommendations for risk mitigation practices - explicitly acknowledging that these are not risk elimination strategies. Assumign you can get teachers over that hump the question quickly becomes, where's the money?

If Trump wants to have this guidance govern then the absolute bare minimum Republicans should be proposing is a local stimulus package earmarked to restore district budgets to 100 + X % of pre-pandemic levels (and yes, there's a lot of scope for local governments to game that, it would take some doing). My kids teachers, like teachers across the country (except Illinois I assume), buy their classes' supplies. Their budget got slashed already this year. Who is going to pay for the soap, and the plastic sheeting and the staff to effectively cohort classes etc. etc.?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
windywave wrote:

The median salary in New Trier Twp HSD 203 is higher than 99.01% of School District median salaries in Illinois.

Great since I listed something close to 10 school districts greater than 1% it is
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [noskcaj46] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noskcaj46 wrote:
Moonrocket wrote:
It was really interesting to read all of the modifications you are making. It’s so clear you care about your students. Thank you!

Thank you. I don't know why these threads always get derailed by the salary topic. I'm not thinking about my salary when I'm prepping my room. It's the farthest thing from my mind. How am I going to keep the children safe, healthy, meet their emotional needs and fears of the mask, teach them to read/write/add/subtract in the midst of all of this chaos. That's what I'm thinking about!

Hat tip
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Terminate their pensions boon for local government
You already know this is impossible in Illinois.

Thanks for shitting all over this thread with your dumb argument about teacher salaries. The majority of new teachers are fresh out of college, are very green and aren't paid jack shit. They won't be protected by tenure, and a lot of them this year probably didn't even get far enough to be licensed by the state. And that is what schools will be scraping the bottom of the barrel for "if 20% of teachers don't come back".
Quote Reply

Prev Next