Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where is data showing teachers on avg make 110?

I agree some teachers are upper class.
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [sosayusall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sosayusall wrote:

Publicly available Illinois department of Education or something like that. You really think I'm making up the number?
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [sosayusall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sosayusall wrote:

It's in Chicago, the averages across the rest of the US don't matter. Remember, the cost of living in NM and West Texas is lower so they should be paid less, and they are, but that doesn't fit into his argument.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes? https://patch.com/...y-how-illinois-ranks

Here's how the states ranked:

New York: $83,585
California: $81,126
Massachusetts: $79,710
District of Columbia: $76,486
Connecticut: $73,113
New Jersey: $69,917
Maryland: $69,761
Alaska: $69,474
Pennsylvania: $67,398
Illinois: $66,778

I agree. Not accounting for the cost of living people in major cities typically make above the middle wage of the USA. I didn’t know that was the point you were trying to make.
Last edited by: sosayusall: Jul 7, 20 13:57
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
sosayusall wrote:

It's in Chicago, the averages across the rest of the US don't matter. Remember, the cost of living in NM and West Texas is lower so they should be paid less, and they are, but that doesn't fit into his argument.

Pfft suburbs I moved remember
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trump on Monday "SCHOOLS MUST REOPEN!"
Florida on Tuesday "All schools must reopen in-person in August".

So that answers part of the questions - in some states beholden to Trump they'll go back, COVID rates be damned.

Everywhere else it must be, and should be, calibrated to the situation on the ground. In NYC now I'm comfortable saying schools should go back. If bars are closed you sit at home. If my kid isn't in school for 1 week in 2 in September then, assuming the NYC situation remains stable, they'll be spending every other week at camp, or in the care of a neighbor with kids with whom we'll trade off. He will come home to me, who will likely have spent the day in an office in Manhattan which I'll likely reach via the subway. I don't see any incremental benefit from lowering capacity at schools in that reality and think the changes they're discussing will push the creaking NYC public school system over the edge.

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Last edited by: Bretom: Jul 7, 20 14:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m sure people are just as concerned about whether college professors will return to the classroom and how much they make!
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [SwimRun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SwimRun wrote:
I’m sure people are just as concerned about whether college professors will return to the classroom and how much they make!

I'd fire a shit ton of them personally
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
Many of the comments on here are regarding the middle and high school aged kids. It will be much worse for the elementary kids. Most aren't able to do the work on their own and parents giving the lessons is a joke.

My wife's school is talking about offsetting days with the kids so 100% of the student population is not showing up every day. I'm not sure how this will work with families and the daycare problems that arise. My wife's school has a very large population of lower class families without home computers and wi-fi. As someone said earlier, the newer requirements are all going to fall on the teachers and give them just another thing to do in their classrooms and we'll have people like windy bitching about how teachers are overpaid.

What about kids that require riding the bus to get to school? Are school buses going to be running? If one of the kids on bus tests positive, will all the kids that ride the bus be quarantined? Tested?

Will kids in the same family all go in the same day?

So much needs to figured out.
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
Moonrocket wrote:
I’m curious where people see this school opening going. Where we are they are talking about a lot of kids in person 2.5 days a week. Where does that put teachers with kids who has to teach two groups for 5 days but kids are only in school 2.5 days a week? Between that and family/ personal health issues on top of the current high turnover - is there a chance we just have a massive teacher shortage come fall?

How would that play out?

Where do they get subs to cover for teacher who for themselves or a family member have to quarantine for 14 days?

In many areas, there are literally hundreds of applicants for every teaching position. Despite what teachers unions are going to try to tell you, there should be zero problem finding people (especially with tens of millions of unemployed) to fill these seats. And they don't need subs, if the teachers don't want to work and there are willing replacements, they should be hired.

I'm currently an unemployed engineer/data analyst and if I don't have a job in September, would gladly teach high school physics, math, chemistry, computer programming or history if that job was available.

Edit: I missed your question about subs, that is a good point, no matter who the teachers are, if they get sick they need to quarantine. That could be very expensive, unless they will probably have to be willing to provide "sick pay" for a substitute (if they get infected). But to my original point, I think there are plenty of teachers available, but managing potential disruptions with a lot more people out sick (and the potential for every absence to be 14 days) creates a logistical challenge. They will need a deep bench and they will probably have to be willing to pay substitutes a fair wage (people complain about teacher salaries, wait until they see what a sub makes).

Well Michigan ain't one of your area's with Hundreds of applicants. Michigan has had a teacher shortage for a while. They actually let kids graduate early and start teaching if they find a full time job, because there is such a shortage?

So your just going to walk in and say, hey I can teach. Do you have your state's Teaching Certificate? What type of education / training have you had to be a teacher?

Sub pay varies GREATLY by district. Subs need far less training also.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
tri_yoda wrote:
In many areas, there are literally hundreds of applicants for every teaching position. Despite what teachers unions are going to try to tell you, there should be zero problem finding people (especially with tens of millions of unemployed) to fill these seats. And they don't need subs, if the teachers don't want to work and there are willing replacements, they should be hired.

I'm not sure where you live but there are not literally hundreds of applicants for every teaching position. The idea that anyone can go into a classroom and teach is probably one of the stupidest things many Americans believe. One thing the quarantine proved was that parents in general had no clue on how to teach their children.

You sound like one of those, "anybody can be a teacher" people.

It is a stupid idea to suggest that anyone can go into a classroom, and I never suggested such. So you sound like one those, "I'm going to ignore what you said and create a strawman argument because I don't really know what I'm talking about."

But I can tell you that in the northeast united states, teachers salaries are relatively high and getting a job is very competitive. This is not universally true, but in NY, NJ, MA, CT, RI, NH I think it is quite accurate. I hear more complaints about teachers being layed off or having trouble getting a job than I do about a lack of teachers or that the pay is bad. And this is from two family members who are teachers.

I've worked for 20 years as a professional, including being qualified as a classroom instructor in two different companies, running the instructor training for a program that was eligible for two years of college credit, establishing and running a mentoring program at another company, and serving as a youth mentor in my community, but yes I would be completely unqualified to teach in a school. And I am probably some kind of exceptional human, there is no way anyone else like me exists that could possibly come and teach this fall if some teachers don't want to take the risk.
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
[

So your just going to walk in and say, hey I can teach. Do you have your state's Teaching Certificate? What type of education / training have you had to be a teacher?

Actually yes. I have a masters degree (mechanical engineering), two undergraduate degrees (history, chemical engineering), several certificates in computer science and statistics and extensive teaching experience in the corporate sector (And can get references from corporate training managers to attest to my capabilities). I've also run a corporate mentoring program and served as a youth mentor in my community (including passing necessary background checks and going through an extensive training program to work with adolescents). So I believe I might be qualified to teach math, physics, chemistry, computer science, or history in a high school or middle school.

If a school system refused to give me a provisional teaching certificate, then I can't control union rules to exclude individuals who may be more objectively qualified than their members but lack a specific piece of paper (which they could complete while working on a provisional cert) is no basis to say someone is unqualified to teach.

And per an earlier post, I am aware that substitute teacher is low and remarked that they will probably need to increase it to attract the necessary talent. But my original point, which I fully stand by is that there are plenty of qualified individuals. And with respect to salaries, it is quite clear that where salaries are too low, there may be a lack of qualified applicants and where the pay is reasonable there is a large excess (which makes complete sense). In aggregate there are more than enough capable individuals, the problem is some communities don't want to pay and they get what you would expect, a local scarcity. That doesn't mean there is a lack of overall supply, there is a lack of incentive. #economics
Last edited by: tri_yoda: Jul 7, 20 14:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
sosayusall wrote:
Ah yes. Teachers across the USA are know for their high paying jobs.

I just relayed facts. Do with it what you will

A quick google showed average teacher pay in chicago is 61k. FWIW.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
sosayusall wrote:

Publicly available Illinois department of Education or something like that. You really think I'm making up the number?

That would be a 'yes'. Anything to derail another thread from what was the subject to whatever you feel you want to talk about. Good job.
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
Many of the comments on here are regarding the middle and high school aged kids. It will be much worse for the elementary kids. Most aren't able to do the work on their own and parents giving the lessons is a joke.

My wife's school is talking about offsetting days with the kids so 100% of the student population is not showing up every day. I'm not sure how this will work with families and the daycare problems that arise. My wife's school has a very large population of lower class families without home computers and wi-fi. As someone said earlier, the newer requirements are all going to fall on the teachers and give them just another thing to do in their classrooms and we'll have people like windy bitching about how teachers are overpaid.

What about kids that require riding the bus to get to school? Are school buses going to be running? If one of the kids on bus tests positive, will all the kids that ride the bus be quarantined? Tested?

Will kids in the same family all go in the same day?

So much needs to figured out.
This! These logistics are still unanswered. Bus monitors so the kids are 6 ft apart? No talking on the bus? Isolate them like prisoners?

Walking through the halls etc,

My wife is middle school math. The solutions (or lack thereof) are mind boggling. We pay the superintendent $250k/yr and they just put teams together last month to “figure out” the Fall...oh, and then they scrapped the committee.

They proposed the middle school kids bump up to the HS and each teacher’s class is split into two rooms that s/he has to bounce back and forth between during the same period. 2-3 days a week and then online.

Do parents now have to stay home when their kids are home? What about their jobs? What about more than one kid doing distance learning? How many computers do families have to buy? Because if a parent works from home then they presumably need a computer also. Some districts have chrome books, but this will be a nightmare.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If subbing or teaching is something you're interested in, you need to get in contact with your local district now and see what the requirements are. In Colorado subs need to be given a sub license by the state, and that can take... a while. It took them 3 months to process my initial applications after I graduated. Subbing is a thankless job. You're not teaching (unless you're a long term sub), you're babysitting. The pay isn't the only draw back, it's the substitute systems themselves. If you want to sub full time in most places that means driving all over the district to a different school every couple days. But that will probably change with all of this. With your background you would qualify for an alternative license to teach in CO and FL (the two states I am familiar with). That takes even more time and has lots of hoops to jump through. My experience with teachers that have alternative licenses are mixed. Some succeed and do very well. Most struggle. The hard part of teaching isn't the content. It's the classroom management and relationships. More difficult to get down without formal education in it, and even then that is the part most new teachers struggle with.

Speaking to the teacher pay discussion, I am in a suburb of Denver, and most starting pay is around $40k here. Average pay is definitely skewed by experienced teachers with advanced degrees, as well as higher paying (and high COL areas). I have a friend that lived in Prescott. Master degree, long time teacher. When she moved to Denver she doubled her pay up from the $20k range. Prescott isn't that cheap.

As far as plans in reopening- the districts are not bringing in teachers as part of the conversations from what I have seen from my own experiences, as well as my wife's, and friends that are teachers. They also did not consult teachers when switching to online education in the spring. Many districts adopted cookie cutter online programs that do little to boost student engagement and investment in education. We had policy dictated to us, and we're headed that way again for the fall. Not much has been said to teachers I know scattered around, and that makes us nervous. We are one month out, most states are seeing increases in cases, and we have no idea what the plan it. Fun stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
tri_yoda wrote:

I'm not sure where you live but there are not literally hundreds of applicants for every teaching position. The idea that anyone can go into a classroom and teach is probably one of the stupidest things many Americans believe. One thing the quarantine proved was that parents in general had no clue on how to teach their children.

You sound like one of those, "anybody can be a teacher" people.

It is a stupid idea to suggest that anyone can go into a classroom, and I never suggested such. So you sound like one those, "I'm going to ignore what you said and create a strawman argument because I don't really know what I'm talking about."
tri_yoda wrote:
I'm currently an unemployed engineer/data analyst and if I don't have a job in September, would gladly teach high school physics, math, chemistry, computer programming or history if that job was available.

Now maybe i missed it but you literally said.. If I don't have a job in Sept, I would gladly teach high....

tri_yoda wrote:
But I can tell you that in the northeast united states, teachers salaries are relatively high and getting a job is very competitive. This is not universally true, but in NY, NJ, MA, CT, RI, NH I think it is quite accurate. I hear more complaints about teachers being layed off or having trouble getting a job than I do about a lack of teachers or that the pay is bad. And this is from two family members who are teachers.

Well my daughter just graduated with a teaching degree in Michigan, was going to grad. early cause she had a teaching offer, covid stopped it, but it allowed her to get Unemployment. Oh and she has started applying for fall teaching jobs, already had one offer, but the school was flaky so she turned it down, most schools have said they wont know till mid / late Aug how many openings they will have , as retirement's don't come in till Aug, and they are just starting to plan for what school looks like in the fall. So again, in Michigan HUGE teacher shortage.

tri_yoda wrote:
I've worked for 20 years as a professional, including being qualified as a classroom instructor in two different companies, running the instructor training for a program that was eligible for two years of college credit, establishing and running a mentoring program at another company, and serving as a youth mentor in my community, but yes I would be completely unqualified to teach in a school. And I am probably some kind of exceptional human, there is no way anyone else like me exists that could possibly come and teach this fall if some teachers don't want to take the risk.

Yeah, corporate teaching oh that clearly qualifies you for dealing with teenage kids... How many girls uhm flowered during your corporate teaching? Any fights break out? (FYI my daughter had 2 in a middle class school district in the 11 weeks she was there) Sorry both my in-laws were teachers, my mom, 2 nieces, and a daughter. And a co-worker/friends husband left Engineering and became a middle school teacher, no he could not just walk into the classroom with his BS and MS he still had to get certified. My Dad was a Auto company exec (so don't think I grew up in some liberal household) but I do understand what schools require for teaching, not going to argue if it is correct, but it is what it is.

FYI in this area subs make $75 - $125 for a full day sub job.

So yeah I would say, you may know the subject but that's only a part of being able to become a full time teacher at a school. You would actually have an easier time getting a job teaching at a community college.

Just Triing
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
[

Actually yes. I have a masters degree (mechanical engineering), two undergraduate degrees (history, chemical engineering), several certificates in computer science and statistics and extensive teaching experience in the corporate sector (And can get references from corporate training managers to attest to my capabilities). I've also run a corporate mentoring program and served as a youth mentor in my community (including passing necessary background checks and going through an extensive training program to work with adolescents). So I believe I might be qualified to teach math, physics, chemistry, computer science, or history in a high school or middle school.

If a school system refused to give me a provisional teaching certificate, then I can't control union rules to exclude individuals who may be more objectively qualified than their members but lack a specific piece of paper (which they could complete while working on a provisional cert) is no basis to say someone is unqualified to teach.

And per an earlier post, I am aware that substitute teacher is low and remarked that they will probably need to increase it to attract the necessary talent. But my original point, which I fully stand by is that there are plenty of qualified individuals. And with respect to salaries, it is quite clear that where salaries are too low, there may be a lack of qualified applicants and where the pay is reasonable there is a large excess (which makes complete sense). In aggregate there are more than enough capable individuals, the problem is some communities don't want to pay and they get what you would expect, a local scarcity. That doesn't mean there is a lack of overall supply, there is a lack of incentive. #economics

Sorry replied to the wrong post..

No you are not qualified to teach.. You are qualified in knowing the subject, I would guess you have little training in child psychology, classroom management, Crisis management. and whole host of other things.

I posted Sub pay in SE michigan above 75-125 and that is in a State with a teacher shortage. No sub pay has little to do with supply and demand, it has to do with district budgets and contracts. You might not like the union/management agreed to rules, but they are in place, and no a district can not just side step them, cause your so qualified.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Our district just sent out their survey to see how many kids are coming back and who is doing online, have not read the details of their back to work.

But really Teachers are the least vulnerable members of a functional school. The Janitors and Bus drivers are as a demographic older and in poor health than the teachers.

What happens when 20% of the bus drivers drop out? Or not enough Janitors to clean everything?

Lots of unkowns, glad mine are in college or just out. Of course the college scene is also in the air and a mess.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I believe I might be qualified to teach math, physics, chemistry, computer science, or history in a high school or middle school.

If a school system refused to give me a provisional teaching certificate, then I can't control union rules to exclude individuals who may be more objectively qualified than their members but lack a specific piece of paper (which they could complete while working on a provisional cert) is no basis to say someone is unqualified to teach

---
This only goes to show that you have absolutely no idea what qualifies one to teach high school or middle school. And those qualifications are controlled by the state, not the teacher's union.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [LCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LCtriguy1 wrote:
windywave wrote:
sosayusall wrote:

Still live in the suburbs
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Harbinger wrote:
windywave wrote:
sosayusall wrote:

That would be a 'yes'. Anything to derail another thread from what was the subject to whatever you feel you want to talk about. Good job.

That hurts. I might be a lot of things but accusing me of that is uncalled for and low.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
LCtriguy1 wrote:
windywave wrote:
sosayusall wrote:

You live in a Chicago suburb, you say?

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [LCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LCtriguy1 wrote:
windywave wrote:
LCtriguy1 wrote:
windywave wrote:
sosayusall wrote:

You live in a Chicago suburb, you say?

Yeah not aurora
Quote Reply
Re: What if 20% of teachers don’t come back? [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What happens when 20% of the bus drivers drop out? Or not enough Janitors to clean everything?

---
I think transportation logistics are going to be a huge barrier. The current recommendation is for 1 child per seat and everyone in masks. When the old system had 2-3 kids per seat, there's a huge disconnect between the recommendation and the reality of the situation.

As for the janitors... I think the onus will be placed, once again, on the teachers to clean and sanitize their rooms on a regular basis. Someone likened it to being a pre-school teacher who basically wipes everything down during recess and again at the end of the day. I also have no idea how they're going to monitor or manage all of the safety precautions that are on the list. It seems unattainable at this moment.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply

Prev Next