Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:
The bigger danger is that other countries will think if they can't get their shit together and fight a virus that kills people, why should we trust them with anything.

They would have to pay to defend themselves

From Russia whom your President is enabling.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
windywave wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:
The bigger danger is that other countries will think if they can't get their shit together and fight a virus that kills people, why should we trust them with anything.

From Russia whom your President is enabling.

Bitch please your navy is coastal and you rent your tanks
Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
AchillesHeal wrote:
BLeP wrote:
AchillesHeal wrote:
torrey wrote:
AchillesHeal wrote:
torrey wrote:
America. The country where people are so self centered and weak they can’t handle stopping a virus like every other developed nation. Might as well roll over and take it.

Slowtwitch. The place where people are so delusional that they think a flat curve is called beating a virus. Might as well have a victory parade in every other country and let America burn.

That seems to be the current plan. The rest of the world is getting their victory parades ready (with masks and proper social distancing.) Survivors aren’t always the strongest, but those that can adapt.

Here is the way you “beat a virus”
1) Flatten the curve
2) reduce the number of new cases to levels that are easily traceable (or zero if you are small enough)
3) gradually open things up while carefully contract tracing and isolating all new cases. Only return to full normal when it is eliminated or easily tracked.

Since every other part of the world is going with this plan the US will be isolated for the foreseeable future. We will be allowed to swing between opening and closing without any ability for long term planning while the global economy restarts without us.

You realize that the whole world is in this together, right? You can’t have a functioning world when a country has an outbreak going. The virus will find its way to you. Especially the USA since we are the top economic engine of the world.

Good luck having other countries open their border with you.

Who cares? It will happen eventually. Whine about it all you want. At some point when your economy sucks, you’ll be begging to open the borders.

I doubt it. Tourism represents only 2% of Canada’s GDP and I’m sure Canadians will be happy for US visitors to stay away if they’re going to continue to act like idiots with respect to COVID-19.

Other countries are showing how this pandemic can be handled effectively. We just choose not to want to learn and change our behavior.

For Canada maybe tourism is small but there are other things rather than tourism that you need borders open for. But we treat Canadians like we do the state of Maine and New Mexico. They are there but not really. Europe and Asia depend on the US. We are the engine that runs their economies and the inventions. They will come to us eventually and beg us to visit them and do business with them.
Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [heliix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
heliix wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
3 weeks after the opening and the numbers show no- spike or increase.. what happened?

POP

Doesn't look like a pop to me.

Daily death 7-day rolling average is flat to declining.

But as JPO says: yet.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
heliix wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
3 weeks after the opening and the numbers show no- spike or increase.. what happened?

POP

Doesn't look like a pop to me.

Daily death 7-day rolling average is flat to declining.

But as JPO says: yet.

Deaths trail cases counts by a few weeks. How’s the Hospitalization rate doing? Is it flat to declining?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hospitalizations are up. We'll see where we are in a few weeks.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:

I heard Russia and China will sell them weapons on the cheap.
Last edited by: FishyJoe: Jun 28, 20 15:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:

Death rate not up: "no pop".

Hospitalizations up: "we'll see".

Got it.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [AchillesHeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AchillesHeal wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
AchillesHeal wrote:
BLeP wrote:
AchillesHeal wrote:
torrey wrote:
AchillesHeal wrote:
torrey wrote:
America. The country where people are so self centered and weak they can’t handle stopping a virus like every other developed nation. Might as well roll over and take it.

Slowtwitch. The place where people are so delusional that they think a flat curve is called beating a virus. Might as well have a victory parade in every other country and let America burn.

That seems to be the current plan. The rest of the world is getting their victory parades ready (with masks and proper social distancing.) Survivors aren’t always the strongest, but those that can adapt.

Here is the way you “beat a virus”
1) Flatten the curve
2) reduce the number of new cases to levels that are easily traceable (or zero if you are small enough)
3) gradually open things up while carefully contract tracing and isolating all new cases. Only return to full normal when it is eliminated or easily tracked.

Since every other part of the world is going with this plan the US will be isolated for the foreseeable future. We will be allowed to swing between opening and closing without any ability for long term planning while the global economy restarts without us.

You realize that the whole world is in this together, right? You can’t have a functioning world when a country has an outbreak going. The virus will find its way to you. Especially the USA since we are the top economic engine of the world.

Good luck having other countries open their border with you.

Who cares? It will happen eventually. Whine about it all you want. At some point when your economy sucks, you’ll be begging to open the borders.

I doubt it. Tourism represents only 2% of Canada’s GDP and I’m sure Canadians will be happy for US visitors to stay away if they’re going to continue to act like idiots with respect to COVID-19.

Other countries are showing how this pandemic can be handled effectively. We just choose not to want to learn and change our behavior.

For Canada maybe tourism is small but there are other things rather than tourism that you need borders open for. But we treat Canadians like we do the state of Maine and New Mexico. They are there but not really. Europe and Asia depend on the US. We are the engine that runs their economies and the inventions. They will come to us eventually and beg us to visit them and do business with them.
Quote:

You really underestimate the strength of anti-US feeling out there. *maybe* we can get an axis of incompetence / suicide pact with the UK, but mainland Europe will be shut off until we have this under control. They’ve been sputtering along without us for over 3 months already, they’re many many months away from feeling pressure to gamble away the progress they’ve made against covid. More months I hope than it’ll take someone to prove a vaccine.

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
America. The country where people are so self centered and weak they can’t handle stopping a virus like every other developed nation.

It's a little early to declare victory for other developed nations. Time will tell if they actually have it under control.
Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [Supersquid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

What is the R-nought value in your state?

Interesting analysis and charts here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
According to the link you provided, 1.22. Wisconsin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:

Tennessee is right on schedule. Shut it down, get it under control. Start to open things up, jump right back up with cases.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

Tennessee is right on schedule. Shut it down, get it under control. Start to open things up, jump right back up with cases.

Ohio is right there with you. We weren't even making any progress, just holding steady. So we open it up and shockingly things start going south.

Instead of taking it as a sign to keep doing what we are doing we have taken it as a sign to throw all that out the window.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
H- wrote:

Death rate not up: "no pop".

Hospitalizations up: "we'll see".

Got it.

Well according to the Atlantic, we were supposed to be seeing human sacrifice in Georgia.

What is "pop"? Your home state, NJ, popped, with 170 deaths per 100k. Georgia is at 26 per 100k. (About 26 per 100k die per year of diabetes in the US, 52 by accidents, and 200 per year of heart disease.)

Hospitalization rate increase in Georgia from low 800s in early June to almost 1360 is concerning. There were 1500 hospitalizations on May 1. So they are still below their peak, and the peak didn't produce much of a pop in deaths by tri state standards.

About 450 additional people hospitalized in Georgia since early June is a concern, but that is not even half the number of deaths in, say, Middlesex County, Jersey.

________
Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [Tri2gohard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri2gohard wrote:
dave_w wrote:

-
The Cuomo response was very bad, nevertheless, he spoke well about said response, and for that he was lauded for not being Trump. Just now starting to see stories out pointing out the realities of how badly he screwed up and how much better states like FL did.

https://www.theguardian.com/...onavirus-catastrophe

This did not age well.

Yes and no, the initial Cuomo response resulted in probably thousands of oldster deaths that DeSantis avoided in FL. Different scenario now based on re-openings and it is infections among the younger set that have little to no self discipline. Now the look is to how many deaths result in this younger population, but for now deaths are steady despite the infection spike.

edit to show that deaths are steady:

https://www.wesh.com/...-the-curve/32998369#
Last edited by: dave_w: Jun 30, 20 6:54
Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Yes and no, the initial Cuomo response resulted in probably thousands of oldster deaths that DeSantis avoided in FL. Different scenario now based on re-openings and it is infections among the younger set that have little to no self discipline. Now the look is to how many deaths result in this younger population, but for now deaths are steady despite the infection spike.

I'm hopeful that this is the case.

________
Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dave_w wrote:

edit to show that deaths are steady:

https://www.wesh.com/...-the-curve/32998369#

I see the circumstances as different as well but struggle with discussing DeSantis' response as anything other than nonexistent. Cuomo took a wildfire and brought it under control. During that time, rather than learning from the experiences of Cuomo and other embattled governors, DeSantis took a victory lap trash talking the media. There was no reason to allow this situation to spiral out of control over the last few months in Florida. The fact that the death rate is steady is a function of the virus and it's impact on certain groups, not of the control that DeSantis has exerted on it.

While not a hotspot for travel like Florida or NY, I look at Mike Dewine in Ohio, who has done a heckuva job so far on this stuff. The numbers in Ohio are still very low.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:

Mandatory mask laws forbidden by Kemp.

SMDH.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/...orgia-mask-mandates/

Instead he "strongly encourages" masks. That is absolutely pointless.

The "it's a hoax" crowd will still not wear them.

Best of luck. I suggest that you move.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing to see here, move along!

Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [SinkCrashBonk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He just doesn't want to get shown up by Florida and Texas.
Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:
He just doesn't want to get shown up by Florida and Texas.

Here's the difference our Governor (Texas) realized he was wrong on not allowing cities to mandate masks and then a few weeks later, he put his own mask mandate in place.

It was too late- as the damage was done by reopening early- and too little- not having a mask mandate in place prior to reopening could have helped- but he did do a course correction.

So- this far in the grading period- he get's a D in managing the pandemic and not a F like the governors of FL and GA.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [SinkCrashBonk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SinkCrashBonk wrote:

Yeah, but technically is that a “pop”? I mean, just cause it higher than ever and shows absolutely no signs of slowing down, can we really consider that a “pop” versus slow gradual decline into desperation?
Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
SinkCrashBonk wrote:

Yeah, but technically is that a “pop”? I mean, just cause it higher than ever and shows absolutely no signs of slowing down, can we really consider that a “pop” versus slow gradual decline into desperation?

You do realize this was started back in early May?

Yes it looks like it has finally "pop" but took a while. I fell for the other side of exponential growth. It takes a while to get going.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't live in Georgia. But I'm next door in Alabama and have spent much time in Florida lately.

I follow the numbers fairly closely. Oddly, while Alabama and Florida have seen a mild (so far) increase in daily deaths, Georgia still has not. Alabama and Florida have seen death rates double their prior highs (but not approaching NY, NJ, Conn levels). Georgia death rate still flat and lower than before.

Do you think the curve for Georgia, Alabama, or Florida will spike up like the earlier NY curve?

________
Quote Reply

Prev Next