Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
efernand wrote:
Quote:
Subways, buses, dance clubs, indoor concerts, full churches, full restaurants, etc., remain higher risk.

Evidently not in NYC where they weren't shut down, and only recently received additional cleaning.
-
The Cuomo response was very bad, nevertheless, he spoke well about said response, and for that he was lauded for not being Trump. Just now starting to see stories out pointing out the realities of how badly he screwed up and how much better states like FL did.

https://www.theguardian.com/...onavirus-catastrophe
Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't think subways remaining open meant they weren't high risk, just that they were essential. Public transport is a very different thing than a club or bar.

Here in Atlanta they suspended a bunch of peripheral bus routes to divert buses to the heavily trafficked areas in order to lighten passenger loads on each bus. That caused issues with people who live outside the city and don't own cars.

Not really sure what you can do with public transportation in time like this other than modify service and clean more.

efernand wrote:
Quote:
Subways, buses, dance clubs, indoor concerts, full churches, full restaurants, etc., remain higher risk.

Evidently not in NYC where they weren't shut down, and only recently received additional cleaning.
Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [Amstel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bike 2-3 times a week from Buckhead through Decatur, Midtown, and Downtown. Midtown and Decatur look pretty normal now and you see people at restaurants and just out. But if you look closer, you realize that there's really only 3 tables of people on patio and huge space inside is basically empty. Downtown basically became a giant homeless shelter but it's still coming back a little. When I was going through early April there were zero cars or non homeless people. Now I see some office workers and a few open restaurants - most companies including my employer are still WFH. It's unfortunate that shelters had to close so there's less support. Noticeable increase in homeless throughout and especially in Buckhead where I am.

Seeing people in gyms for group class still looks weird, not used to it yet. Walked by F45 the other day to see a class and several people were using Lysol wipes to hold the weights while working out. I've been following the restaurant openings and most are open but quite a few of the high end ones are still carry out only - most of those are scheduled to open this week and next though.

Amstel wrote:
I just got home from a 5 mile run through midtown/downtown. Downtown is deserted except for homeless people. Very few businesses open. Midtown has people everywhere. I would guess about 1/3 wearing masks. Most businesses are open. 70% of restaurants. Even group fitness centers like Orange Theory are open.

I am now going to play some sand volleyball and then out to dinner.
Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few studies have come out that show that a small number of infectious people (between 5% and 20%), are responsible for 80% of infections, ie a small number of people spread it the most. We don't know if that is due to the behavior of those people or if the virus is more contagious in those people. But this can explain partly why some places did not get as bad as others.

So everything looks fine, then you get some superspreaders overlapping at the same time and cases jump very quickly. Now you have more people infected, which means more superspreaders, and so on and so on.

Also, this helps with contact tracing, because isolating a super spreader really helps control the spread. Just by luck contract tracing may be pretty effective.
Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
A few studies have come out that show that a small number of infectious people (between 5% and 20%), are responsible for 80% of infections, ie a small number of people spread it the most. We don't know if that is due to the behavior of those people or if the virus is more contagious in those people. But this can explain partly why some places did not get as bad as others.

So everything looks fine, then you get some superspreaders overlapping at the same time and cases jump very quickly. Now you have more people infected, which means more superspreaders, and so on and so on.

Also, this helps with contact tracing, because isolating a super spreader really helps control the spread. Just by luck contract tracing may be pretty effective.

Agreed. But in some studies I've seen referenced, super spreaders need proximity and time with people. Continuing social distancing should reduce the ability of super spreaders to super spread.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
3 weeks after the opening and the numbers show no- spike or increase.. what happened?

POP

Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dave_w wrote:
-
The Cuomo response was very bad, nevertheless, he spoke well about said response, and for that he was lauded for not being Trump. Just now starting to see stories out pointing out the realities of how badly he screwed up and how much better states like FL did.

This did not age well.
Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [Tri2gohard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri2gohard wrote:
dave_w wrote:

-

This did not age well.

Every post like this and every victory lap needs to end with "yet". Until there is a viable vaccine or treatment, bad news is just a matter of luck and time.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [jkuo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkuo wrote:
Don't think subways remaining open meant they weren't high risk, just that they were essential. Public transport is a very different thing than a club or bar.

x2. Particularly in NYC, where a ton of people don't have cars. Or have them and can't effectively use them to get to work.

Part of the huge increase in bike sales is likely to get around subway use. But tons of essential workers probably use the subway.
Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [heliix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
heliix wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
3 weeks after the opening and the numbers show no- spike or increase.. what happened?

POP

from what I see every day there is no stopping that upward swing until we've all had it
Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
axlsix3 wrote:
DavHamm wrote:

Well for starters, one of the demographics hardest hit by covid is black Americans and we all know they're staying home and not out jogging.

Do I need to put this in pink?
That is not funny.

Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
heliix wrote:
DavHamm wrote:

POP

from what I see every day there is no stopping that upward swing until we've all had it

I’ve been saying that for months. But everyone wants to fight and drag this thing forever. Sometimes, the best approach is letting the opponent score.
Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [AchillesHeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
America. The country where people are so self centered and weak they can’t handle stopping a virus like every other developed nation. Might as well roll over and take it.
Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [AchillesHeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AchillesHeal wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
heliix wrote:
DavHamm wrote:

POP

I’ve been saying that for months. But everyone wants to fight and drag this thing forever. Sometimes, the best approach is letting the opponent score.

Yes, no stopping it.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
heliix wrote:
DavHamm wrote:

POP

Yes there is. Everyone wear masks. Everyone stop going to restaurants/bars. Don’t do things indoors with many many other people. If you do (shopping for example) the. Everyone must wear a mask.

This really isnt all that difficult.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
heliix wrote:
DavHamm wrote:

POP

Then come to NJ, or go to Italy or Germany or Spain or Australia or Korea or...
Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
heliix wrote:
DavHamm wrote:

POP

Yes there is. Everyone wear masks. Everyone stop going to restaurants/bars. Don’t do things indoors with many many other people. If you do (shopping for example) the. Everyone must wear a mask.

But masks don't work and the media is using them to make Trump look bad.
Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://twitter.com/...002329183662080?s=21

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
America. The country where people are so self centered and weak they can’t handle stopping a virus like every other developed nation. Might as well roll over and take it.

Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!?!?!?!?!?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
him, the male Trump impersonator, and the lady impersonator who lip syncs his briefings are all amazing.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
heliix wrote:
DavHamm wrote:

POP

Both you and Kay took my post out of context. I live in GA. That stuff isn’t happening and isn’t going to happen. Period. I’m not saying it shouldn’t. I’m saying it isn’t and won’t. There are only two ways to stop it here at this point. Everyone gets it or people have to step over their dead loved ones to get to Chik-Fil-A.
Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:

Slowtwitch. The place where people are so delusional that they think a flat curve is called beating a virus. Might as well have a victory parade in every other country and let America burn.
Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
AchillesHeal wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
heliix wrote:
DavHamm wrote:

POP

Yes, no stopping it.

What are you showing me? I don’t see a zero virus count! What i see is people hiding in their homes thinking the virus is gone if the graph goes downwards. like a turtle who withdraws into its shell thinking the predator is gone when it can’t be seen. Meanwhile the predator is patiently waiting for the turtle to pop your head out.

Seriously! What is that graph and what do you think you are seeing?
Last edited by: AchillesHeal: Jun 28, 20 7:04
Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Then come to NJ,

What exit? Har har. Boy I hated driving up the turnpike.

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
heliix wrote:
DavHamm wrote:

POP

Are you paying attention? That’s not gonna happen. Even in virus hotspots, like Houston area where I am at, more than half the people won’t do what you said. It’s not gonna happen!
But even hypothetically speaking if everyone did that, how long will you do that for? Until there is zero Covid? How can you be sure there is no Covid? Test 9 billion In the world? What about animals who can be vectors? The moment you open everything up, it will spread again.
Quote Reply

Prev Next