Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
So why did Georgia not POP?
Quote | Reply
3 weeks after the opening and the numbers show no- spike or increase.. what happened?

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
3 weeks after the opening and the numbers show no- spike or increase.. what happened?

Well for starters, one of the demographics hardest hit by covid is black Americans and we all know they're staying home and not out jogging.

Do I need to put this in pink?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Atlanta and honestly not much has changed. Businesses and restaurants are open but not a ton of people are out. Most of the people working from home still are. Many restaurants are still takeout/delivery only. So while there is more activity than in the early weeks when it was literally a ghost town, it's not that different than 4/23 before things were open. Allowing limited in person dining and haircuts doesn't really change much. My barber is open now (I haven't gone in yet) but at slightly reduced capacity so he's seeing maybe 30 people a day with his team. That's really nothing compared to a concert or bar or festival all of which are still closed.

Last week bars were getting ready to open - saw the beer truck making multiple deliveries but then the order closing them is extended until end of May I believe. Also while gyms are open, many of the big chains like LA Fitness are still closed. The gyms I saw around here open are all specialized personal training or class gyms with small groups. And while they're technically allowed to open, movie theaters are still closed. Not sure what will happen once crowds are allowed again.

I think behavior has changed which is why things haven't exploded. Having said that, if we didn't have the lockdown and people just kept on as normal, I think things would be much worse.

Alternatively, they could just be playing with the numbers as apparently they're moving the data however they want to justify the opening...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like the other poster said, it is all about what people are actually doing. I'm afraid that here in CA, it is not going to be good in a week or two. We are still somewhat locked down, at least that is what all the protesters are saying. But I see big crowds all over the place, parks, beaches, restaurants, etc. I think we had 2000+ new cases today, more than lately. I would imagine that number is just going to climb over the next weeks. I guess good news is we have room for all the dead people we will be getting, and that hospital ship didnt go too far away.

I really hope for peoples sake that summer takes the RO on this thing down considerably, but I haven't seen any evidence of that thus far, here and around the world. I think the prediction that someone made that we will all have been close to someone that will have died of this virus by Xmas time, is going to proven right. I already have two friends gone from it, hoping it doesnt hit my immediate circle or family..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.washingtonpost.com/...nts-get-coronavirus/

“Read the transcript.”
Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We are just starting to open up which I think is needed but WTF? Across the street yesterday a party with about 15 people on the lawn no social distancing. People going places in groups. Like why do you need to go to the hardware or grocery store with two people to pick up one thing. The best is two people going to gov't liquor store to get one bottle of wine? With what we are going through you are going to be back tomorrow. Almost no masks. I am flummoxed. I just don't get it. Like what did we just go through 9 weeks of hell for anyway.?

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [DavHamm] (yet) [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:

Fixed it for you I think but maybe miracles do happen

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:

It takes a few weeks for cases to spread, and deaths lag cases by 2-3 weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
DavHamm wrote:

It takes a few weeks for cases to spread, and deaths lag cases by 2-3 weeks.
Agreed. Way earlier to be celebrating. It’s the next 3 weeks that will tell the tale.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope you weren't referencing the chart our health department put out with the dates on the X-axis out of order so that it showed a gradual decline in cases. They gave some BS excuse why they did it that way and finally succumbed to rational thought and took it down. It worries me our governments are doing everything they can to get people to return to their normal lives. It's growing increasingly difficult to take anyone seriously anymore.

Just saw South Korea shut schools again because of a couple of students tested positive. If we plan to open up and close back down after a couple of new cases are exposed, we are considering opening up entirely too early.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:

Georgia Department of Public Health is backfilling data. And in this case backfilled 20 days.
this will cause a rolling curve

Attached are daily screenshots of 24apr confirmed cases. Data for 24apr was inclining over 8may to 13may.
on 14may a decrease of 9 from they day before.

Can a clear decision be made based on shifting data? Are the test protocols being updated for better precision?

A good dataset might be how many Hospitalizations... 08may 5974 .... 20may 7089 over a 12 day span an increase of 1,124

Last edited by: heliix: May 20, 20 8:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably because lots of people are still staying home.

And probably luck where there are crowded places.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
Drove up to Georgia and spent Wednesday through Sunday there. Rode mx at the Georgia practice facility for three days . Got to get some cycling in with a few pro supercross riders on some great country roads. Dined in at longhorn steakhouse twice in Thomasville . Sunday went to Silver dollar mx and attended the first national since the pandemic. Over 1200 entries! It was bananas and a blast. Nice to see folks being Independently responsible and not overwhelmed with fear and paranoia waiting for orders from some Overlord
Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mobility data shows that people in GA and FL are hunkered down.

chaparral wrote:

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
It worries me our governments are doing everything they can to get people to return to their normal lives.

As they should. The goal should be to implement measures to manage the spread while creating the least amount of disruption to normal life as possible. In some areas, it feels like they're doing everything they can to keep us from normal lives even if the numbers are good.

According to this analysis of where the outbreaks are happening, there's a lot we can do to get back to somewhat normal lives while still managing the spread. https://www.erinbromage.com/...know-them-avoid-them
Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
mobility data shows that people in GA and FL are hunkered down.

chaparral wrote:

And the data from restaurants shows the same.

Just like mobility and other data showed people staying home before the stay at home orders. People are genuinely concerned about the situation and simply telling restaurants to open won't make people suddenly go.

Stopping the stay at home order won't make things return to normal or lead to a recovery. You need people believing the virus is under control. That should be the focus, not the complaining about stay at home orders.

It will be interesting to see how the reopening is different in different areas. Will areas like Seattle see a slower or faster return than other areas? Will it be slower because of more caution or faster because there is trust that the local government has things under control? What about New York City where the local government messed up and there were lots of death? I think the return is going to show a clear connection to how much people trust the local and state government.

Or maybe we are going to see that small changes, like some mask wearing and no large events, is enough to control it. I kinda doubt it based on the cases seen in South Korea, it seems everything can be under control and then very quickly spike, so a very good test and trace program is required even with the small changes.
Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [Dirt fighter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dirt fighter wrote:
DavHamm wrote:

Drove up to Georgia and spent Wednesday through Sunday there. Rode mx at the Georgia practice facility for three days . Got to get some cycling in with a few pro supercross riders on some great country roads. Dined in at longhorn steakhouse twice in Thomasville . Sunday went to Silver dollar mx and attended the first national since the pandemic. Over 1200 entries! It was bananas and a blast. Nice to see folks being Independently responsible and not overwhelmed with fear and paranoia waiting for orders from some Overlord

See here is where I believe you're wrong.. It's not about paranoia and fear.
It's about protecting the vulnerable..

While you may believe that everyone adhered to proper protocols, I doubt 1200+ adhered to them 100% of the duration.

It only took 1 infected person to lead us to where we are today.
Last edited by: heliix: May 20, 20 13:33
Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [heliix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
heliix wrote:
Dirt fighter wrote:
DavHamm wrote:

See here is where I believe you're wrong.. It's not about paranoia and fear.
It's about protecting the vulnerable..

While you may believe that everyone adhered to proper protocols, I doubt 1200+ adhered to them 100% of the duration.

It only took 1 infected person to lead us to where we are today.

post removed
Last edited by: TimeIsUp: Jun 27, 20 21:19
Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It worries me our governments are doing everything they can to get people to return to their normal lives. It's growing increasingly difficult to take anyone seriously anymore.

Governments are just doing what the business community is demanding. Large stores can open, small local stores can't, that just about sums up what is going on. It has nothing to do with helping people, it once again has everything to do with profit. I feel bad for those people who stayed at home and lost 2 months pay while others flout the laws and carry on with their normal lives.

People suck.
Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
It worries me our governments are doing everything they can to get people to return to their normal lives. It's growing increasingly difficult to take anyone seriously anymore.

Governments are just doing what the business community is demanding. Large stores can open, small local stores can't, that just about sums up what is going on. It has nothing to do with helping people, it once again has everything to do with profit. I feel bad for those people who stayed at home and lost 2 months pay while others flout the laws and carry on with their normal lives.

People suck.

#allivesmatter

#mybodymychoice

#imafuckingimbecile
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your post got me thinking since I am from Atlanta but now live thousands of miles away.

My very scientific questioning of old contacts on Facebook reiterates what other posters have mentioned.

Most behaviors are staying the same according to my friends and relatives. In other words people are still mostly staying home, lots of visible mask wearing when they do go out, spacing when in parks, mostly take out from restaurants. These are all around the metro Atl area.

My aunt lives in Helen (cheesy Bavarian-themed town in the Mtns) , and she said the businesses are trying to adhere to guidelines, but tourists are acting like it’s a normal spring outing..few to no masks, crowding, etc. I wonder If some of th e vacation mentality creeps in where people act differently than at home? You know...eating poorly, skipping exercise, drinking more, staying up later, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [ZippityDuDah] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got home from a 5 mile run through midtown/downtown. Downtown is deserted except for homeless people. Very few businesses open. Midtown has people everywhere. I would guess about 1/3 wearing masks. Most businesses are open. 70% of restaurants. Even group fitness centers like Orange Theory are open.

I am now going to play some sand volleyball and then out to dinner.
Last edited by: Amstel: May 21, 20 11:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now it has been over a month since many businesses were allowed to reopen April 24th. Things still looking ok. Hospitalizations have been going down. (Tiny blip up in latest numbers.)

Becoming pretty clear that most business can be conducted with minimal risk. Subways, buses, dance clubs, indoor concerts, full churches, full restaurants, etc., remain higher risk.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: So why did Georgia not POP? [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Subways, buses, dance clubs, indoor concerts, full churches, full restaurants, etc., remain higher risk.

Evidently not in NYC where they weren't shut down, and only recently received additional cleaning.
Quote Reply

Prev Next