Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: power meter recommendation [] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My problem with the Assioma's is simply the look. just so ugly!

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: power meter recommendation [trismitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trismitty wrote:
I bought my vectors in September then returned them in December. They were the newest version. Hubs are great, but you’re locked into one wheelset. I have a power tap g3 in a set of Reynolds attacks and it just doesn’t get as much use now that I have the Favero pedals. I really think if you can handle Look cleats that pedals are the best option.

Fortunately I’m in no rush, really. I likely won’t get anything before Christmas, this year I’m happy to just ride and do zwift with zpower.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: power meter recommendation [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto... I almost did not buy the Assiomas because of the looks. I am so glad I did not make that mistake. They are freakin' awesome.

"If you want to be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife..."
Quote Reply
Re: power meter recommendation [jksu2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jksu2000 wrote:
although no double sided metrics, the cheapest way to get power on the road is probably picking up an old powertap rear wheel. i used one years ago and it was solid. gave it away when the kids were born and i was out of tris/cycling. for $200-300 on ebay/classifieds, you'll get reliable power and a wheel to thrash/train on.

but yeah, if your budget's a little higher, the "just works" assiomas seem to be the ticket. easily to install/swap to other bikes, no batteries/battery covers to shake loose/break, consistent/reliable data, you can tweak the power reading to square up with your smart trainer via the app, etc. a bit of pain to switch my spd-sl cleats to the assioma/look cleats, but it's a one time 10-15min +/- an adjustment or 2.

i just bought a set from a STer here. can't wait to pair them up with the "just works" wahoo bolt when they arrive next week :-)

Had did you find the change to Look cleats ?

Are they very different to Shimano SPD-SLs ?
Quote Reply
Re: power meter recommendation [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
trismitty wrote:
That’s awesome, but it’s definitely an issue with these pedals.

How old are they?

I’m also considering a PowerTap hub. I really don’t want a crank based pm at this point (mostly aesthetic reasons, not performance related)

I would caution that once you have a hub, you only get power from that wheel. Which means that when you get cool race droolworthy wheels, no power.
Quote Reply
Re: power meter recommendation [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
trismitty wrote:

How old are they?

I’m also considering a PowerTap hub. I really don’t want a crank based pm at this point (mostly aesthetic reasons, not performance related)

I would caution that once you have a hub, you only get power from that wheel. Which means that when you get cool race droolworthy wheels, no power.

Really? It only works on one wheel? I never thought of that...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hub is laced into one wheel....what the aesthetic disapproval of P2M....I actually think they make cranks look better as they fill in the typical holes in most cranksets
Quote Reply
Re: power meter recommendation [TOTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

How did you find the accuracy between the SRM and Power 2 Max? And if different which tended to read higher?. I am now using a power 2 max and like it but curious if you found them consistent in terms of watts.
Quote Reply
Re: power meter recommendation [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Hub is laced into one wheel....what the aesthetic disapproval of P2M....I actually think they make cranks look better as they fill in the typical holes in most cranksets

I have campagnolo record and chorus cranks (aluminum) mounted to a square taper BB, all on a lugged steel Serotta. A crank based PM would look completely out of place.

Those campy cranks are arguably the prettiest cranks ever made.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
lightheir wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
trismitty wrote:

How old are they?

Really? It only works on one wheel? I never thought of that...

Youll be surprised at how much you will want to to have power with wheel upgrades, believe me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What makes you think this would be my only wheel ever?

It’s not that hard to get a PowerTap hub with an aero rim.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: power meter recommendation [Canuck1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was close but read consistently about 5w lower than the other 2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. To be clear you found the P2M the one that read a bit lower ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

$$$$ to do that.

So easy to avoid it altogether with assiomas.

This is coming from the guy who loved and still has a power tap hub laced into a Dt Swiss wheel. Got so fed up with not being able to use any other wheelset that I got the assiomas, has been a great upgrade despite how well the pt hub worked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

$$$$ to do that.

So easy to avoid it altogether with assiomas.

This is coming from the guy who loved and still has a power tap hub laced into a Dt Swiss wheel. Got so fed up with not being able to use any other wheelset that I got the assiomas, has been a great upgrade despite how well the pt hub worked.
if you’re buying a new Wheelset anyway, the incremental cost isn’t that high for the PT. Plus, I’m still on 9s, which parts are getting harder and harder to find. 9s hubs aren’t compatible with 11s (outside of a couple of edge cases or machining cassette bodies, which has risks. So I’ll be in a position, probably in the next year or 2, where I’d have to upgrade wheels anyway along with a switch to 11s.

I don’t need a bunch of wheels anymore. Most of my kms are on the trainer, so riding race wheels is no biggie.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: power meter recommendation [Canuck1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes it was lower. For a while I had all 3 so it was easy to see the difference. I was more surprised that the SRM and 4iiii were the same.

I thought the P2M was good and would have bought again but didn’t work with the Shimano cranks on my new bike. Having 4iiii install was more convenient than getting a different crank altogether.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How did you compare a P2M to a SRM and to a 4iii?
Quote Reply
Re: power meter recommendation [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing incredibly detailed. I was curious to see how they compared so rode in erg mode on the trainer over the course of a couple of weeks. Set it at 200w and rode at 90rpm and looked at what the PM was reading. It’s not a perfect comparison but seemed to be directionally accurate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New PM on the market. IQ2. Only the single sided version available right now, but dual sided is coming. Looks very promising for only 200 euros.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: power meter recommendation [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Ditto... I almost did not buy the Assiomas because of the looks. I am so glad I did not make that mistake. They are freakin' awesome.

"If you want to be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife..."

100% agree. I've had a hub based PM, Quarq, and Stages, and I LOVE the Assiomas. They are so easy to install and use. Plus, it's so nice to simply recharge them when needed, and not have to worry about the battery going dead mid ride. I can check the battery level using my phone app, so I always know when I need to recharge them
Quote Reply
Re: power meter recommendation [EyeRunMD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is only one Quarq.
Quote Reply
Re: power meter recommendation [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 Assioma pedals, accurate, very easy to install, can change your pedals on other bike in 3 min. Plug usb so don't need to replace battery, very good price, and you can find spare parts easily on their website
Quote Reply
Re: power meter recommendation [1Wavemaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1Wavemaker wrote:
There is only one Quarq.

Forgive me for being slow here, but I don't get what you are implying?
Quote Reply
Re: power meter recommendation [EyeRunMD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EyeRunMD wrote:
1Wavemaker wrote:
There is only one Quarq.

That's strange :)
Quote Reply
Re: power meter recommendation [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
EyeRunMD wrote:
1Wavemaker wrote:
There is only one Quarq.

That's strange :)

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply

Prev Next