Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
power meter recommendation
Quote | Reply
Having gotten interested in improving my power numbers on Zwift, I am thinking I'd like to get a basic power meter for my road bike on which I do most my riding outdoors. Since there are no races for awhile I figured this would be another way to race myself. I ride a Canyon Endurance SL road bike with 165 ultegra cranks. My needs are pretty basic:

-Simple low hassle, low maintenance, high durability is a number one priority (To give context, I am the sort of don't fix what ain't broke guy who avoided disc brakes until very recently and still does not have electronic shifting).
-Want dual sided power because I have a long standing hip imbalance that I'd like to see if having dual data would help me improve this problem.
-Needs to be able to work in the wet as it rains alot here.
-Given the above considerations, as affordable as possible. I do not need higher end bells and whistles and the costs that comes with such things.

Also, I currently have an older garmin head unit and don't think it will read power so I will need a new head unit to go with whatever power meter I get. Again, don't need a ton of metrics here, just something simple and durable that can show power, time, speed, cadence, distance, average speed and average power. All the better if I can program routes in it.

In reading various reviews the Favero Assioma pedals and the Stages and 4iiii LR crankarms look pretty good and pretty simple but I am new to this and wide open to any other recommendations for an affordable and trustworthy power meter head unit combo.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Quote Reply
Re: power meter recommendation [jsmith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Iā€™ve had three Power2Max power meters - only ā€˜issueā€™ is that I have to replace batteries every 3-4K miles of use. In other words, they are super reliable. There is an FSA crank version that I have on my road bike and is pretty reasonably priced - youā€™d have to check bottom bracket compatibility.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It tough to go wrong with the Assioma Duo pedals. Those are one of the few products that few people say anything negative about. They just work and the price is fantastic.

There is a recent emergence of questionable performance from crank arm-based PMs that use Shimano cranks. So, that is one thing to put in the back of your mind.

The crank-based PMs are very good and provide accurate total power. But, they only have estimates for L/R power.

If you want true L/R power, then get the Assiomas. If L/R estimates are good enough, then add the crank power meters to the list.
Last edited by: exxxviii: May 1, 20 6:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had Quarqs for a while. Incredibly reliable for me. Personally I wouldnā€™t by another brand. I have heard good things about Power2Max. I would stay away from pedal based systems only because of the history of there reliability. If you happen to crash or drop your bike etc. your pedals are the first thing to hit the ground. That scares me. Spend the $$$ to get something good.
Last edited by: TheWhiteCarrot: May 1, 20 6:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for Assioma Duo pedals from here. Reliable, accurate and easy to charge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Itā€™s a couple years old but still pretty relevant. DC Rainmaker does a great job breaking down each style of power meter and then breaking down each brand and model.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...ter-buyers-2018.html

Personally, I use Quarq and really wonā€™t use anything else. Iā€™ve had Stages in the past and the power readings dropped off occasionally and Iā€™ve had friends with Garmin and Powertap pedals that just ended up being a PITA for them. The swap-ability seemed great but the power wasnā€™t useable for them. With Powertap, Quarq replaced it with a full DZero crank so that was pretty awesome customer service.

Good luck in your decision!

Brett Z

ā€œLivinā€™ in a van down by the riverā€
Quote Reply
Re: power meter recommendation [claude_] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
claude_ wrote:
Another vote for Assioma Duo pedals from here. Reliable, accurate and easy to charge.

Third vote for the Assiomas. Solid choice.

Instagram
Youtube Channel
Meta Endurance

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jsmith wrote:
-Want dual sided power because I have a long standing hip imbalance that I'd like to see if having dual data would help me improve this problem.
I've never been sure how to use L/R readings to improve my overall performance. I just use overall power to improve my overall performance.
Quote Reply
Re: power meter recommendation [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another vote from P2M if you want to use speed play pedals (which I did)....Otherwise look at the other recs on the Assioma
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for Assiomas. I have Quarqs and they are great, but after moving to these, Iā€™m sorry I didnā€™t switch sooner. Especially awesome if you have multiple bikes.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've currently got a quarq and a power2max type s. Both work fine with no issues so far except battery changes have had an an SRM and stages (left side only) briefly but they worked fine also.

I would recommend for your case looks for power meters that are compatible with a Shimano bottom bracket (24mm spindle). Or go pedal based. Because if you get something else you potentially would have to change out your bottom bracket too or or use shims/adapters (like Quarq with a GXP axle). Most of the offerings out there are pretty good but there are exceptions. Also, depending on what you get you might need new chainrings too... something else to think about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Assioma. Very happy customer. I've used it in torrential rain and it's been on the roof of my car in torrential rain during highway travel. Works as perfectly as the day I unboxed it. Easy to swap between bikes, easy to charge, and it just works. the most satisfying gear purchase I've made in 10 years of tri.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
although no double sided metrics, the cheapest way to get power on the road is probably picking up an old powertap rear wheel. i used one years ago and it was solid. gave it away when the kids were born and i was out of tris/cycling. for $200-300 on ebay/classifieds, you'll get reliable power and a wheel to thrash/train on.

but yeah, if your budget's a little higher, the "just works" assiomas seem to be the ticket. easily to install/swap to other bikes, no batteries/battery covers to shake loose/break, consistent/reliable data, you can tweak the power reading to square up with your smart trainer via the app, etc. a bit of pain to switch my spd-sl cleats to the assioma/look cleats, but it's a one time 10-15min +/- an adjustment or 2.

i just bought a set from a STer here. can't wait to pair them up with the "just works" wahoo bolt when they arrive next week :-)
Quote Reply
Re: power meter recommendation [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If he doesn't get Assioma's he's just wasting money. There is simply no reason to not get them. They are fairly cheap, extremely reliable and I've heard nary a bad word about them.

Oh by the way, mine survived doing the gravel pedal hack/conversion and the epic mud and rain of Mid South (LandRun) this year and are still working perfectly.

Quote Reply
Re: power meter recommendation [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
IThere is simply no reason to not get them.

I agree that these pedals are probably great and a fantastic option. But, but you are stuck with them as a pedal system....,so there is actually at least one very good reason to consider something else, and that is the option to use a different pedal system. I switched to P2M/speed play combo (from power tap pedals which worked flawlessly for me, not as much for others). And Iā€™m really happy with that combo. P2M is a set-and-forget product and speedplay pedals are awesome.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: May 1, 20 14:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 2 second generation Power2max power meters and 2 ngeco power meters.

They just work.

What bike you have may dictate which BB standard you choose. I have a FSA MegaExo (24mm), Rotor 3D+ (like a BB386), FSA BB386 and a Cannondale BB30 (Mountain bike)

If I was getting another I'd get the BB386 since I likely will never buy a Trek.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am currently using a 4iii dual which has been great. I came from multiple SRMs and Power2Max over the years and have been happy with my choice. Power numbers were consistent with my SRM. My shop recommended 4iii and for the price it was a simple choice. With the reduction in cost makes it even more attractive. My GRX cranks are with them now for a dual sided install.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have Quarq road bike and could not be happier for last 2+ years.
On my gravel bike i bough the new stages since crank has GRX. It was only $350 and has worked for last 3 months with no problems so i have been happy so far
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only issue that I know of with the Assiomas is that they aren't shipping right now, and everywhere I've looked online does not have them in stock.

I'm seriously considering the Garmin Vector3 as an alternative. I believe that the issues with the early releases have been resolved and they should be fine. (benefits of being a late adopter).

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: power meter recommendation [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The only issue that I know of with the Assiomas is that they aren't shipping right now, and everywhere I've looked online does not have them in stock.

YEah, that's a problem. They're in Northern Italy, I think, and have been impacted quite hard recently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Advise to avoid the Vectors in any model. I had the 3s and they were fine until a battery change like many others have reported. Just junk after that. They are now sending their 3rd set of battery door replacements to owners.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Re: power meter recommendation [trismitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Vector 3's have been fine after a battery change.
Quote Reply
Re: power meter recommendation [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thatā€™s awesome, but itā€™s definitely an issue with these pedals.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Re: power meter recommendation [trismitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trismitty wrote:
Thatā€™s awesome, but itā€™s definitely an issue with these pedals.

How old are they?

Iā€™m also considering a PowerTap hub. I really donā€™t want a crank based pm at this point (mostly aesthetic reasons, not performance related)

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: May 1, 20 11:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought my vectors in September then returned them in December. They were the newest version. Hubs are great, but youā€™re locked into one wheelset. I have a power tap g3 in a set of Reynolds attacks and it just doesnā€™t get as much use now that I have the Favero pedals. I really think if you can handle Look cleats that pedals are the best option.

Human Person
Quote Reply

Prev Next