Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Need more protein but struggle with food volume [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For a sedentary person. Not for an endurance athlete. One simple example:

http://www.acsm.org/...ndurance-athlete-QnA

But, there are countless nih papers on this. Most focus on 1. 2-1.4 g/kg with some stating 1.6/kg. Some coaches and RD will go a little above that up to 2.0.
Quote Reply
Re: Need more protein but struggle with food volume [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Agreed, there is definitely a lack of info in the OP. That said, there are a considerable number of serious health hazards of eating more protein than your body needs, especially if the excess protein come from animal sources.

Because vegan science religion says the animal's tortured soul has reincarnated into complete amino acid profiles that will kill humans!

?pink?
Quote Reply
Re: Need more protein but struggle with food volume [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you HAD to toss a salad, would you rather it be from a hot vegan or a hot carnivore dieter??

Well make them hot just cause its easier to think about :))

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Agreed, there is definitely a lack of info in the OP. That said, there are a considerable number of serious health hazards of eating more protein than your body needs, especially if the excess protein come from animal sources.

Because vegan science religion says the animal's tortured soul has reincarnated into complete amino acid profiles that will kill humans!

I'm not a vegan, so l am not sure what vegan science is. But there is an overwhelming amount of peer reviewed scientific evidence that indicates that excess protein consumption and the consumption of associated saturated fats are quite significant causal factors in a huge number of cancers, coronary artery disease, heart attacks, strokes, osteoporosis, obesity, gout, high blood pressure, etc., there is quite a long list.

So, while you want to consume sufficient protein, the penalty for over consuming protein is pretty high.

However, usually these things don't happen in your 20s or 30s. But, live long enough, and things will catch up with you. Exercise only provides a little bit of protection from these things. Of the things that we can control, diet is king in its effects on disease and longevity.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Feb 25, 20 12:18
Quote Reply
Re: Need more protein but struggle with food volume [velox canis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
150 is pretty easy to get to, that's where I tend to be.

Lots of Eggs
Lots of Chicken
Lots of Pork
Whey shake or two and boom

Also, broccoli has a good amount of protein in it. Get a food scale, weigh your food, plug it into MFP.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Need more protein but struggle with food volume [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
synthetic wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

I'm not a vegan, so l am not sure what vegan science is. But there is an overwhelming amount of peer reviewed scientific evidence that indicates that excess protein consumption and the consumption of associated saturated fats are quite significant causal factors in a huge number of cancers, coronary artery disease, heart attacks, strokes, osteoporosis, obesity, gout, high blood pressure, etc., there is quite a long list.

So, while you want to consume sufficient protein, the penalty for over consuming protein is pretty high.

Umm.... you are spitting some non scientifically backed facts.
Excess protein gets turned to Glycogen through Gluconeogenesis. I’m regards to obesity, protein has as high as a 30% thermogenic effect vs less than 5% for fats and carbs so high protein can help you lose weight.

I ate 300g+ of protein a day as a bodybuilder and still eat 200g+ as a 170lb triathlete and my blood work is impeccable.

For the OP, people say that losing weight is hard or gaining muscle is hard but in fact it’s going against your natural tendencies that’s hard work so to just complain about eating more protein is just like a fat kid complaining he can’t lose weight because he eats too many carbs.

Add egg whites to your eggs, have a protein shake for breakfast, lunch and before bed. Love veggies? Eat Edamame beans and other protein rich veggies but you have to put in the effort.

Have Greek yoghurt, skyr or cottage cheese with some fruit and you can get 50g easily. Even if it’s not your ideal meal, it’s wish I could eat sushi and ice cream everyday but I can’t do that and stay lean so we all have to make sacrifices for our athletic and health goals.

One stable in my diet is 2/3 cup oats, whole milk(use skim if whole fills you up to much) tablespoon of honey and then add in powdered peanut but which is very high in protein. Tastes like a peanut butter oatmeal cookie and can get you 50g of protein.
Last edited by: BGildenstern: Feb 25, 20 12:30
Quote Reply
Re: Need more protein but struggle with food volume [BGildenstern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course glucogenesis happens when a person overconsumes protein. But you should learn a bit more about it ... knowledge is power.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Of course glucogenesis happens when a person overconsumes protein. But you should learn a bit more about it ... knowledge is power.

I said glucoNEOgensis but considering this is just your bodies way of turning protein(Or fat) into glycogen, what would you like me to read about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

Your vegan agenda science works like this: you are likely using your slowtwitch communication device on a 2x2' flat surface at the ground. The planet earth is right underneath this ground. Therefore, the earth is flat.
Last edited by: synthetic: Feb 25, 20 13:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

However, usually these things don't happen in your 20s or 30s. But, live long enough, and things will catch up with you. Exercise only provides a little bit of protection from these things. Of the things that we can control, diet is king in its effects on disease and longevity.

It seems to me that you're conflating two very different things here. It is very possible to to eat a high protein diet that is not high in saturated fats.
Last edited by: el gato: Feb 25, 20 13:12
Quote Reply
Re: Need more protein but struggle with food volume [BGildenstern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BGildenstern wrote:
One stable in my diet is 2/3 cup oats, whole milk(use skim if whole fills you up to much) tablespoon of honey and then add in powdered peanut but which is very high in protein. Tastes like a peanut butter oatmeal cookie and can get you 50g of protein.

Can the body even absorb 50g of protein at a time?
Quote Reply
Re: Need more protein but struggle with food volume [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ClayDavis wrote:
BGildenstern wrote:

Can the body even absorb 50g of protein at a time?

Your body doesn't digest it all at once. It takes hours for your body to fully digest large protein amounts but generally you will not get a larger anabolic effect from having more than 30g a protein at once but if your body needs it, it will absorb it all. Easily example would be there are very much intermittent fasters who will eat 200g of protein in just a few hours. Its not as effective for recovery and muscle building as splitting it up into a bunch of smaller doses but simply from a macronutrient perspective its fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Need more protein but struggle with food volume [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OddSlug wrote:
plant_based wrote:
I live off of Peanut Butter... forreal..... I go through a lot / it’s on my Amazon for 365 brand @ 2.49....... to my front door.

https://www.amazon.com/...pt2_mob_b_prod_image

Pretty hard to beat, but I actually like this kind the best - it’s easier for me to spread.

https://www.target.com/...sSzYmAhoC6H4QAvD_BwE

If peanut butter is what you live off maybe think about avoiding the sort with added sugar, salt and palm oil. Personally I like the ritual of mixing the separated peanut oil back into the peanut butter. I think it's an example of mass produced food that a company thinks we won't buy it if it separates so adds unnecessary ingredients. Also the macros look a bit odd on the skippy brand but I might be wrong about that. It's one thing the US does better than the UK but it's easier to get the stuff that is just peanuts, in the UK, than it used to be.

I’m aware the Skippy brand is less healthy. Most of my consumption is the natural peanut butter, but I find it messier and harder to spread a lot on toast.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Need more protein but struggle with food volume [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:
OddSlug wrote:
plant_based wrote:
I live off of Peanut Butter... forreal..... I go through a lot / it’s on my Amazon for 365 brand @ 2.49....... to my front door.

https://www.amazon.com/...pt2_mob_b_prod_image

Pretty hard to beat, but I actually like this kind the best - it’s easier for me to spread.

https://www.target.com/...sSzYmAhoC6H4QAvD_BwE

If peanut butter is what you live off maybe think about avoiding the sort with added sugar, salt and palm oil. Personally I like the ritual of mixing the separated peanut oil back into the peanut butter. I think it's an example of mass produced food that a company thinks we won't buy it if it separates so adds unnecessary ingredients. Also the macros look a bit odd on the skippy brand but I might be wrong about that. It's one thing the US does better than the UK but it's easier to get the stuff that is just peanuts, in the UK, than it used to be.

I’m aware the Skippy brand is less healthy. Most of my consumption is the natural peanut butter, but I find it messier and harder to spread a lot on toast.

Easier for those hydrogen bombed oils in Skippy to collect on your arteries too
Quote Reply
Re: Need more protein but struggle with food volume [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
el gato wrote:
It seems to me that you're conflating two very different things here. It is very possible to to eat a high protein diet that is not high in saturated fats.

Sure, you are right, it is probably possible.

But is it typical?

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Your vegan agenda science works like this: you are likely using your slowtwitch communication device on a 2x2' flat surface at the ground. The planet earth is right underneath this ground. Therefore, the earth is flat.
Yes, but your zolarian program branch works like this: you are unlikely using your startrek telegraph machine on a 0.3cmX0.3cmX0.3cm cuboid floating in space. The planet mars is right above this floating zone. Therefore, mars is trapezoidal.

But I like the way you're thinkin ! Wink

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BGildenstern wrote:

Another thing I like to add to my morning oatmeal is a couple tablespoons of chia seeds. They give it a little protein bump and they have tons of nutrients.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
el gato wrote:

But is it typical?

It depends. If you're the type that protein = steak, then no. If you're the type protein = chicken, turkey, grilled fish, and plant-based sources of protein, then yes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
el gato wrote:

But is it typical?

This is the problem with all plant based studies. They always compare high protein, high saturated fat and no vegetable diets with plant based. No sh*t Sherlock that the plant based looks better but what about us that eat a health balanced diet.
I easily have 10+servings of vegetables a day and most of my protein comes from nuts, fish, chicken, eggs, bone broth and plant based protein powders. If you want to assume everyone’s diet is full of garbage then any diet will stack up. You could go vegan and eat French fries, highly processed beyond meat and Oreos all day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
el gato wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
el gato wrote:

But is it typical?

It depends. If you're the type that protein = steak, then no. If you're the type protein = chicken, turkey, grilled fish, and plant-based sources of protein, then yes.

Not exactly.
By calories (which is the only accurate way of measuring percent fat):

chicken is 45% fat
and most grilled fish is around 50% fat
turkey is lower, but is still at 25% fat, depending on the cut.

(The source of all of this info is the USDA.)

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, but you said *saturated fat*, and that makes up a relatively small % of the total fat in chicken, turkey and fish, while it's a MUCH larger percent of total fat in red meat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
el gato wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
el gato wrote:

But is it typical?

Not exactly.
By calories (which is the only accurate way of measuring percent fat):

chicken is 45% fat
and most grilled fish is around 50% fat
turkey is lower, but is still at 25% fat, depending on the cut.

(The source of all of this info is the USDA.)

You have got to be kidding me. This is the absolute worst measure of whether something is healthy or not.
Avocados are 85% fat
Flax is 71% fat
Walnuts are nearly 90% fat.
Olive oil is 100% fat.

Four loko 0% fat

Use some logic. The fat=bad logic is a thing of the past and brought to you by the sugar companies.
Last edited by: BGildenstern: Feb 25, 20 15:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
el gato wrote:
Yes, but you said *saturated fat*, and that makes up a relatively small % of the total fat in chicken, turkey and fish, while it's a MUCH larger percent of total fat in red meat.

Agreed. But I guess I am not sure what you mean by "relatively small %". Because, for example, in chicken, about 25% of the fat is saturated. Yes, that is less than 100%, but it is not a trivial amount if one eats a fair amount of chicken over time while trying to maintain a high protein diet.

But, to return to the OP's topic, I don't think the issue is fat or saturated fat. I was just replying earlier to the OP that eating a lot more protein than your body needs (based on body size and age and activity) is generally not a wise or healthy practice. Which is not a super controversial position.

Then, on a somewhat unrelated topic (and not aimed at you), I never understand why diet seems to be such a hot button topic for so many people.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
el gato wrote:

Then, on a somewhat unrelated topic (and not aimed at you), I never understand why diet seems to be such a hot button topic for so many people.

I wouldn't say it is unless in involves someone sharing false information that has zero research backing as though its fact.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

eating a lot more protein than your body needs (based on body size and age and activity) is generally not a wise or healthy practice.

The issue is the definition of "a lot". I've never seen any literature that claims 2 g/kg is "bad" for anyone. I have seen literature that suggests 3-5 g/kg is hard on kidneys for sedentary individuals because they will excrete a significant potion of the unneeded amino acid in urine. Makes the kidneys work harder, and it takes chemical action to move the amino acids across the membranes in the kidneys (they won't flow via osmosis or diffusion).

The claims about saturated fats is conflating a separate concern.
Quote Reply

Prev Next