Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Need more protein but struggle with food volume
Quote | Reply
Been working hard to up my overall intake but am stuck around 100-110g/day and should be closer to 150 per the RD I work with. The volume of food necessary to hit even this amount is tricky some days, nevermind all the roughage I'm eating too. It feels like force-feeding myself to get beyond this point on a consistent basis. I've been using protein powder to boost the bottom line but am wondering if anyone has other suggestions for how to sneak more into your daily routine through real food. As mentioned above, I meet with a dietician periodically to tweak macros and talk strategy, but this remains a challenge for me so welcome any creative ideas
Quote Reply
Re: Need more protein but struggle with food volume [velox canis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You mentioned that you're already supplementing with a protein shake. What are you using, and how much protein are you getting from it? I usually have a protein shake around lunchtime, which is two scoops of ON Gold whey protein isolate (chocolate flavored) in 16 oz. of lowfat (2%) milk. The protein powder by itself has 48 of protein in two scoops. Combined with the milk I get 68g of protein, 12g of fat and 34g of carbs. Very easy way to boost my overall protein intake.
Quote Reply
Re: Need more protein but struggle with food volume [velox canis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Black beans, edamame, lima, etc. Quinoa, couscous, etc. Peanut butter, almond butter, etc. Milk, almond milk, etc. Eggs are another good source. I also use protein powder. You can take protein bars as well. There is no reason to be deficient here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scrambled eggs with hot sauce and buttered toast

mmmm

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Need more protein but struggle with food volume [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If OP is aiming for 150 g of protein per day, all of those bulky, gassy, fiber-filled suggestions ain't gonna get it done. That is a lot of protein! To have any hope of making this work in a sustainable way, the OP needs to supplement with whatever has the most protein per calorie. The double scoop shake above seems good. I'm far from 150 g of protein per day, but I still like preprepared protein drinks (some are 30 g protein at 160 cal or so) or some protein bars (pure protein bars are 18-20 g protein and 190-210 calories). There are many products out there with way lower protein g per calorie - getting to 150 g of protein on those will break the bank, ruin your teeth and make you fat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grilled chicken breast or lean ground beef in a salad.
Deli turkey or chicken (without nitrates/low sodium).
Egg whites + eggs. I'll eat 10 ounces of egg white scramble (along with an egg) almost every day or breakfast and dinner.

If you're already filling up on roughage (which, I can relate to... I have a gigantic salad every day for lunch w/ spinach, raw broccoli, carrots, bell peppers, cucumbers), you don't want to rely on quinoa, etc. to get extra protein. Go straight to the source.

Also, low fat, plain greek yogurt is a great option.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why does your dietitian want you to consume almost three times the recommended daily amount of protein? I'm not trying to be a problem, I am genuinely curious about what benefit you would see from consuming that much protein?

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: Need more protein but struggle with food volume [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep! It's a tough target (and has actually been lowered a bit by my dietician since we started)

My protein shakes are based on 2 scoops of whey for a minimum of 50g. Sometimes I add additional milk, yogurt or nut butter to boost that. It ends up being a big volume and filling shake so I have to time it carefully or it interferes with other meals.

Eggs are a staple but I can never eat more than 2 at a time no matter the preparation. Deli meat & cheese "wraps" are another common snack. So is tuna in a pouch and greek yogurt.

I've been seeing great changes in body comp and energy levels, but it's been challenging to sustain and I'm getting sick of the most effective protein sources, all while feeling so satiated that I barely want to eat other healthy stuff like fruits and veggies, nevermind carbs. Hoping that ramping up training volume will increase my appetite
Last edited by: velox canis: Feb 24, 20 16:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would also be interested in learning why your dietician thinks you need a certain amount of protein. Chronic issues, injuries, poor recovery, etc.?

That being said, it should be relatively easy to hit that amount. Do a shake like El Gato mentioned in the morning- as he described that is almost 70g. For lunch, a few boiled eggs along with some other protein-rich legumes ( edemame, lentils, etc) in a salad, or a high-protein bar, another 30-40g+. For dinner, an 8-oz steak should let you hit near the 150g mark for the day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have far higher protein intake than that (along with high fat and carb intake - roughly 33% each by energy)
yes i eat a lot of volume to get good stuff in too but really the protein content is not what makes it like force-feeding, though it helps that i love meat which is far and away the best source of protein.
the trick i find is to look at your carbs and fats and ensure they have penty of protein too - nuts, seeds etc for fats with a heavy dose of protein, lentils or at least quinoa etc to get a protein hit from your carb source

breakfast is tyically low in protein and it is very important to address that. i have muesli mostly but it is loaded with nuts and seeds and my milk is actually protein shake - about 50g of protein right there for me while hardly noticing it.

it might help us to help you if you describe your typical food intake and we can point to specific opportunities, also what the full picture of macros you are aiming for is - meat and protein powder are about the only things that are high in protein without being higher in either fat or carb so its all about achieving the desired balance
Quote Reply
Re: Need more protein but struggle with food volume [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
giorgitd wrote:
If OP is aiming for 150 g of protein per day, all of those bulky, gassy, fiber-filled suggestions ain't gonna get it done. That is a lot of protein! To have any hope of making this work in a sustainable way, the OP needs to supplement with whatever has the most protein per calorie. The double scoop shake above seems good. I'm far from 150 g of protein per day, but I still like preprepared protein drinks (some are 30 g protein at 160 cal or so) or some protein bars (pure protein bars are 18-20 g protein and 190-210 calories). There are many products out there with way lower protein g per calorie - getting to 150 g of protein on those will break the bank, ruin your teeth and make you fat.

So protein powder and protein bars...That was already suggested among many other alternatives.

We're just throwing out a variety of options which is exactly what he asked for. Let him figure out the best mix to get there that he prefers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, throw in fish / Salmon etc every now and then.... It’s a cycle everyone goes through as protein is in everything - use it to your advantage. Know when to eat the right protein at the right time.

I live off of Peanut Butter... forreal..... I go through a lot / it’s on my Amazon for 365 brand @ 2.49....... to my front door.

https://www.amazon.com/...pt2_mob_b_prod_image

Pretty hard to beat, but I actually like this kind the best - it’s easier for me to spread.

https://www.target.com/...sSzYmAhoC6H4QAvD_BwE

Last edited by: plant_based: Feb 24, 20 18:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this isnt a question for your dietician?

some sources for variety :
- quark (yoghurt made with milk and acid/lemon juice and can be in all flavors)
- cottage cheese
- tinned tuna in water
- smoked chicken
- boiled eggs (complete protein , ie.has all the essential amino acids)
- almonds
- adding peanut or cashew butter to smoothies

there is a peak amount of aminos you can absorb in one hit because of enzymes, so with protein timing is more important than portion size - that way you dont need to eat big portions for nothing
Last edited by: lacticturkey: Feb 25, 20 2:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, bone broth is high quality protein.

Quote Reply
Re: Need more protein but struggle with food volume [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wannabefaster wrote:
Why does your dietitian want you to consume almost three times the recommended daily amount of protein? I'm not trying to be a problem, I am genuinely curious about what benefit you would see from consuming that much protein?

That's a question I'd like to see answered as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Need more protein but struggle with food volume [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:
I live off of Peanut Butter... forreal..... I go through a lot / it’s on my Amazon for 365 brand @ 2.49....... to my front door.

https://www.amazon.com/...pt2_mob_b_prod_image

Pretty hard to beat, but I actually like this kind the best - it’s easier for me to spread.

https://www.target.com/...sSzYmAhoC6H4QAvD_BwE

If peanut butter is what you live off maybe think about avoiding the sort with added sugar, salt and palm oil. Personally I like the ritual of mixing the separated peanut oil back into the peanut butter. I think it's an example of mass produced food that a company thinks we won't buy it if it separates so adds unnecessary ingredients. Also the macros look a bit odd on the skippy brand but I might be wrong about that. It's one thing the US does better than the UK but it's easier to get the stuff that is just peanuts, in the UK, than it used to be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless you have a major medical problem or weigh somewhere north of 500 pounds (and you're pure muscle), your dietitian is most certainly wrong.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Need more protein but struggle with food volume [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure why you guys this 150g is 3x the recommended amoint. Protein consumption is scaled to body weight, which he did not list. That recommendation fluctuates slightly with volume, but ranges between 1.2 - 2.0 g/kg. At 12-15 hrs my RD recommends 2.0 g/kg, which for me at 148 lbs is 140g.

Even if he's a light dood on the lower side of weekly volume that's still 90g of protein. In that case 150 isn't even double, let alone triple.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Feb 25, 20 5:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish I had this problem where I couldn't eat enough. lol. I exercise on average about 90mins/day, and it feels like I am constantly eating. Although my weight has stayed fairly steady.

- Jordan

My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Need more protein but struggle with food volume [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The recommended amount depends on who you are talking to.

I just wanted to see some references to the train of thought.

Is the person really skinny or unhealthy and needs more mass?
Is the person doing a block of training that requires this amount?
Is there some other special demand that requires this amount?
Is the dietitian picking a random number because it looks good?

Or maybe something else? I don't know and that's the reason I'd like understand. I'm not being argumentative, just curious.
Quote Reply
Re: Need more protein but struggle with food volume [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed, there is definitely a lack of info in the OP. That said, there are a considerable number of serious health hazards of eating more protein than your body needs, especially if the excess protein come from animal sources.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Premier Protein has a shake that is only 160 calories and is 30 grams of protein
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Core Power by Fairlife. 42 grams of Protein, 230 Calories

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Not sure why you guys this 150g is 3x the recommended amoint. Protein consumption is scaled to body weight, which he did not list. That recommendation fluctuates slightly with volume, but ranges between 1.2 - 2.0 g/kg. At 12-15 hrs my RD recommends 2.0 g/kg, which for me at 148 lbs is 140g.

Even if he's a light dood on the lower side of weekly volume that's still 90g of protein. In that case 150 isn't even double, let alone triple.

A basic internet search yielded 0.36 grams of protein intake per pound of bodyweight. If you weigh 150lbs thats 54 grams of protein for maintaining muscle mass for a sedentary male. Obviously the need is greater the more active you are, but 140-150grams is a lot of protein even for most active people.
Quote Reply
Re: Need more protein but struggle with food volume [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I need 130 g protein. At first I struggled but now I find myself going over my protein macro on a regular basis. What I eat (pretty consistently during the week)

Breakfast: 1 scoops collagen in my coffee (20 g pro), 1 egg cup (egg + some sort of sausage or smoked egg - 10 g pro), baked oatmeal with protein powder mixed in (15 g pro)
Lunch: the protein depends, but I aim for 30-40 grams protein. Sounds hard, but its really only like 8 paleo meatballs from costco (about 1" dia)
Snack: Rx bar (12 g pro)
Dinner: some sort of meat + carby veggie (I usually have anywhere from 15-30 g protein left for my day)

I find if I don't really hit the protein at lunch then I have to supplement with powders.
Quote Reply

Prev Next