Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Married folk. [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Dean T wrote:
We are retired, I train and she quilts all day. I often train 20+ hours a week, and she still quilts more than I train. She has 14 sewing machines... and I only have 2 bikes... hmmm, that sounds rather lopsided. She doesn't have any interest in athletics, but will attend water aerobics classes while I'm swimming laps. Together we are big into Greyhound rescue, have two of our own, and usually a foster.

I'm sure you've been asked this before, but how much did the 20+ hrs per week improve you as compared to the lower volume (presumably) that you were doing before you were retired? Of course, you have to age-adjust, but give a crack at it so we youngsters know what we're in for down the road!

It didn't improve me at all (speed wise), as I'm just entering the 60-65 age group, I've been in decline for years (I set all my all time PR's in my mid 30's). However, it's has certainly slowed the decline, and does wonders for maintaining my physique. It keeps me from gaining weight, and I still dominate my local age group. I've also ran 11 BQ marathons since I retired, and before that, I only BQ'ed twice. The less intense, higher volume, also keeps me from injury and burn out... something that I always fought before. I feel great all the time, never dread training, and can't wait to get up and hit it every day. It has also made longer races (marathons and FIM) pretty easy... closer to a long hard training day, instead of a life altering near death experience. I ran IMAZ in 12:32 last November... nothing compared to the fast guys here, but not too bad for an old guy.

Athlinks / Strava
Last edited by: Dean T: Jan 24, 20 18:08
Quote Reply
Re: Married folk. [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We both like to be outdoors but for different reasons. I'm all about the metrics and the technique, she likes to stop and smell the roses. Right now we are on our annual 2 month ski session in Whitefish MT. Again, she likes to cruise and gawk while I'm taking lessons, counting my vert and obsessing about my form. We get along pretty well after 34 years, I really do love her.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Re: Married folk. [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Ok so our hobby here is s-b-r. Those with a spouse not interested in the same, what is their hobby? What is a mutual hobby of you as a couple?

I know it’s not exactly what you asked but we do

SBR
Wine
Food
Travel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't care about her hobbies. All I care about is that she doesn't interfere with my training.
Quote Reply
Re: Married folk. [Shyland83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shyland83 wrote:
What's the trick to getting your wife interested in pole fitness?

No trick. Was her idea. Turns out it does wonders for her strength and figure.
Quote Reply
Re: Married folk. [runner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife and I's same hobby is raising the kids, after that nothing lol. I was a bodybuilder for years, surfing, golfing, now triathlons. she comes and supports but I cant get her to do anything, so its lots of before sun up trainings so i dont neglect everyone too much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife does not sbr. Big IM build blocks get the house a little stressed out. She keeps busy with Barre and yoga. We love tandem bicycling! She never rides a single bike. We rode over 1200 miles last year on our tandem including her first century. Tandeming is great.
Quote Reply
Re: Married folk. [Ktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I play a lot of golf. My wife enjoys skinny skiing and going to bullfights on acid.
Quote Reply
Re: Married folk. [Ktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ktri wrote:
We love tandem bicycling! She never rides a single bike. We rode over 1200 miles last year on our tandem including her first century. Tandeming is great.

And if your marriage can survive tandem bicycling...
Quote Reply
Re: Married folk. [HardlyTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HardlyTrying wrote:
Ktri wrote:
We love tandem bicycling! She never rides a single bike. We rode over 1200 miles last year on our tandem including her first century. Tandeming is great.

And if your marriage can survive tandem bicycling...
I recommend trying tandem kayaking. It’s a next- level marriage trial.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have a shared interest in each other. Over 30 years the sports and activities have changed, and that doesn't matter if there is love and respect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
runner66 wrote:
Not to hijack the thread, but I can't run much anymore and am looking for something to fill the void in addition to cycling. I thought about getting a rowing machine. Does rowing work the legs as well as the core/upper body? Is it a good exercise to burn calories? I think if we bought a rowing machine, my wife would also use it as a strength training workout. She currently just rides the Peloton and does yoga.

Ummm, what about swimming??? I mean, it works the upper body and the core plus you could in theory swim as many hrs as you ever rode your bike, if you really set your mind to it. (I know that you swim from other threads. :))

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Married folk. [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The rower is an awesome machine. Works everything.
We both s-b-r and mountain bike. I like being outdoors more then he does. He's more in to competing and not being outside and training. I guess in the end it does not matter if you both do it as long as you both understand it. For most couples who are competitive its not easy training together at least from what I see. The guys are usually stronger and do not like to hold back for their s/o. Tri training is a solo sport for the most part any way if done correctly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you live in the snowy part of the country, I'd suggest nordic skiing. It's most like running but much easier on the hips and knees. It certainly is more technique involved vs skate skiing, and requires practice learning the various types of kick waxes to use and learning how to navigate HOW you apply the "length" and thicknes of said kick waxes--depending on conditions and course. It's quite complicated and is a learned skill. But once you have it, you can step outside and pretty much have a very close *feel* of what the wax will be. Often picking up a handful of snow with your hands / gloves, to see how it clumps together, to get a better idea of the crystals and wax needed to work best that day.
Quote Reply
Re: Married folk. [rdubs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rdubs wrote:
She likes B/R, so we do that together, but she doesn't like it as much as I do so I don't push it. There are a lot of outdoor stuff that support a healthy lifestyle, might be a good place to start. For example, we frequently skip weekend training when we do a long overnight backpacking trip, that sort of thing.There are tons of aerobically strenuous outdoor stuff. My only tip is I would avoid forcing your hobby on her/him, if they want to do it that's fantastic, but if its a forced it can breed a feeling of obligation, then annoyance, then resentment, and that leads to the dark side. YMMV

Kind of the same as above. My wife used to be a triathlete (I pulled her into it before we had kids), but now she's just trying to get back into running after a few years off. We can rarely do things together since we don't have many child care options, but we have come to really love short backpacking trips together. We are actually on a streak where we've gone camping or backpacking at least once every month for the past 6 months (it helps that our kids love it too). It will be tough to keep that going through February, but we're going to try!

This hobby also gives us something to look forward to in the future. We have talked about attempting some serious thru-hiking adventures when I retire. It's a long way off, but it's nice for us to have a shared dream.

Powertap / Cycleops / Saris
Quote Reply
Re: Married folk. [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr_Cupcake wrote:
The wife and I own—and race—our own double scull. We might squabble in training sessions, but on race day... B O O M !

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Re: Married folk. [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
philly1x wrote:
Dr_Cupcake wrote:

The wife and I own—and race—our own double scull. We might squabble in training sessions, but on race day... B O O M !
That is so awesome!

My husband almost didn't make it home from Alaska alive after our experience this summer....

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: Married folk. [cassinonorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cassinonorth wrote:
She actually doesn't know how to ride a bike so SBR is not in her future.
My wife said she'd forgotten but wanted to get a road bike... I took her and her new bike to a local high school parking lot and I ran around holding the back of her seat for an hour or so. Good times, she got better and we've ridden on the road together a few times but she's not as into it as she thought. Her bike is mounted to a trainer in the basement... rides it like twice a year... sometimes outside. Worst gift I ever bought her... clipless SPD mountain bike pedals.

She's currently running and enjoying that somewhat... not really competitive and not trying to be. Made a few good running friends she runs with and they hold each other accountable on some home HIT workouts. She's probably going to run a 10K and a half in the next couple of months. I run with her maybe once a week and talk her ear off.

Otherwise she's artsy and creative, likes doing creative stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Married folk. [Trizebbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, we have had a few 'training' arguments ... the 'you didn't wait for me' type stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Married folk. [KathyLockwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I run with my wife, at the most, once a year. She spins and has a group of friends that all run together. I do my own thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife is a Cross-fit girl who likes to run on the treadmill a few times a week.

It doesn't really get int he way of each other because Cross-fit is like 45 minutes 4-5 times a week. She thinks endurance sports are for the mentally ill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fun to read these responses. Some are hilarious.

Me: cycling, running, baseball.

Her: gardening, cooking, cats

Together: backpacking, canoeing, occasionally cycling, xc skiing. She likes skiing a lot but is not very good and is content with being slow(er than me). She rides her bike to work; likes going slow and enjoying the outdoors.
Quote Reply
Re: Married folk. [stevendex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I think we know that excess polarity in a hobby can lead to bad relationship as far as divorce:

https://digitalcitizen.ca/...part-2-the-research/

I think my failure starting this thread, the question better than mutual hobby - what brings you two together? People can change over time too, leaving one lifestyle for another. Kudos to those here with the multiple decades of marriage.

I think common social circles may be a big factor
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think you need to have the same hobbies, but you have to work on your relationship every day. My wife has her own hobbies. Although, I will play tennis with her from time to time (she plays tennis, does yoga and she has a peloton bike). Having the same physical pursuits and hobbies can help but that will not make a relationship succeed. IMO, no matter how good of a relationship you have with your spouse, it will not take care of itself if you don't put any effort into it. My wife and I meet for lunch (once a week or every other week) or have one date night a week (this gets pushed based on my schedule, so it's not every week, but we do make time for each other). I call or text my wife once a day and vice versa during the day. We are raising 4 kids, so we definitely have our issues on what we agree and don't agree upon. Physical intimacy is also important. Have sex frequently. This will bring you closer to your spouse. Everyone jumps on the dry January of no alcohol. i recommend a bang your spouse month. Try and have sex everyday for 30 days (maybe not possible with work schedules, etc). It doesn't have to be great sex, just sex. That alone will bring a couple closer. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Married folk. [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my husband and I have recently picked this up together, too. although, snow has been on and off. we really like skiing up in mt. hoevenberg in placid... we've tried classic, skate, but nordic is next on our list.
Quote Reply

Prev Next