Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Last Call for the October broken 200IM challenge. post your times if you've done it.
Quote | Reply
October swim challenge from Swimming Canada masters section.

Swimmers are invited to swim a timed 50m of each stroke which will be added together for a 200 individual medley time. The results will be compiled for the 200 IM add up.

https://www.swimming.ca/en/masters/

Who wants to do a little ST side challenge off that?

LEADERBOARD

Optimal_Adrian (SCY - M38)
27.37 / 29.95 / 35.29 / 25.30 ---> 1:57.91 (2:10.88 converted)

zenmaster28 (SCM, M44)
30.5, 34 high, 37 high, 31 ---> 2:14

Monty (SCY, M63)
30.36/35.87/38.66/29.5 --> 2:14.19

tallswimmer (SCM M36)
33/33/39/32 - 2:17

JasoninHalifax (SCM, M48)
31, 34, 42.5, 29.5 --> 2:17

daved (SCY, M45)
27.9 (fly) - 33.50 (Bk) 36.1 (Br) 26.7 ---> 2:04.2 == 2:17.86

abergili (SCY, M53
30 33.5 37.5 28.5 --> 2:09.5 ( 2:23.74 converted)

PowerPlay (SCY, M62)
34.2 37.7 40.9 32.5 --> 2:25.3

gary p (SCY, M 51)
30.97 36.57 (back) 39.01 (breast) 28.10 (free) --->2:14.65 (SCM converted 2:29.46)

tri4balance (SCM, M52)
37.91, 42.47, 42.66, 33.34 = 2:36.38

ajthomas (SCM????,age?? )
39, 39, 48, 35 - 2:42

doug in co (SCY, M59)
44, 41, 43, 29 - 2:37 === 2:54 converted to SCM

Dev Paul (SCM, M53 (almost 54)
42, 49, 60, 42 ==> 3:13

and so far incomplete:

RealAB (SCM - 43?)
--

Squidly (LCM, 23)
--

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Nov 1, 19 10:03
Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), who wants in on this action? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
without assuming Ill ask...

can we do this in yards too ?

daved

http://www.theundergroundcoach.com
Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), who wants in on this action? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aww man, my masters is on break til the end of the month, so I'll have to pass, but otherwise, I'd be game.

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will be in, but will have to convert my yard times up I suppose, think there is a calculator. Didnt click the link yet, do we get to dive on each 50?
Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), who wants in on this action? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I will be in, but will have to convert my yard times up I suppose, think there is a calculator. Didnt click the link yet, do we get to dive on each 50?

yeah, convert up - there are calculators on swimswam and swimmingworld

Dive allowed (optional) on the 50 fly, everything else from a push.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As long as we can convert, I'm in. Didn't see in the rules, but do you have to swim all 4 in the same day, or can you spread it out through the month?

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), who wants in on this action? [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We get to make our own dam rules!

I'm gonna be swimming them same day, but I think doing them on separate days is fine too...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good deal, I will have to wait for dan to get back from Kona, I literally have no one to time me in our little lap swim pool. Plus all I have been doing is distance free getting ready for the 3k postal, so better do some strokes first too. And dont forget to post up your age so we can fill in the AG categories, and eventually compare them with the Canuks!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dammit, I guess I have to go back to the pool then... although I'll have to bribe someone to take a time for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), who wants in on this action? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Good deal, I will have to wait for dan to get back from Kona, I literally have no one to time me in our little lap swim pool.

For $28, you never have to rely on friends or a coach to get your times again:

https://www.sportcount.com/...portcount-stopwatch/

I don't do a workout without it.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Feeling shitty and just going to swim a little to wake up and have a shower, and this stupid thread got into my head, thanks Jason!

Easy 500 warm up(7;18)
5x100IM kick@2;15 with a 50 in-between IM order@1;00. (36/39/41/33)
500 easy pull (6;36)
1700SCY

So looks like I have about a 2;31(2;29+2 for digital clock) to kick this thing off, about 90% effort with absolutely no stroke training. So my starting point, and a window for you all to throw your rocks at now...But I do have a lot of room to improve, so there is that..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can I use flippers for the butterfly?
Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), who wants in on this action? [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No.. I think we can all do a 50 without toys. Now if it were a 100, then I'm breaking out the paddles..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

I'm gonna be swimming them same day, but I think doing them on separate days is fine too...

Can I use results from separate days...from thirty-odd years ago?

(26.9 (actually a 50fly at the start of a 200IM), 29.5, 29.5, 23.1 SCY, all in Masters Y Nationals)

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), who wants in on this action? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Can I use results from separate days...from thirty-odd years ago?

(26.9 (actually a 50fly at the start of a 200IM), 29.5, 29.5, 23.1 SCY, all in Masters Y Nationals)

hahahahaha …

no

I actually have no idea what my 50 fly would have been at my "peak" (I use that term rather loosely). We didn't swim 50's back then except for free. and I sucked at 50's anyway....

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), who wants in on this action? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome back Ken! And you gotta swim them now, just like the rest of us. 🥶
Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), who wants in on this action? [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tallswimmer wrote:
Aww man, my masters is on break til the end of the month, so I'll have to pass, but otherwise, I'd be game.

What, you can't just go to the pool and swim this on your own??? You could get your wife or someone to time you. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), who wants in on this action? [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with you on this one. My butterfly is abysmal, but passable with fins. But then again I'm not doing it in a triathlon, so I don't practice it often enough to make it better. It'd be my slowest leg of this challenge, even with the dive start. A 50 might honestly be laughable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Feeling shitty and just going to swim a little to wake up and have a shower, and this stupid thread got into my head, thanks Jason!

Easy 500 warm up(7;18)
5x100IM kick@2;15 with a 50 in-between IM order@1;00. (36/39/41/33)
500 easy pull (6;36)
1700SCY

So looks like I have about a 2;31(2;29+2 for digital clock) to kick this thing off, about 90% effort with absolutely no stroke training. So my starting point, and a window for you all to throw your rocks at now...But I do have a lot of room to improve, so there is that..

My plan is to do these after masters tomorrow night. There's an hour of lane swim after the end of practice until the pool closes.

I've gotta try to beat monty. that's my entire mission in life right now.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Well I hope you have already left, and you dont get to see this until you get back. You have thoroughly screwed up my swimming head now, but it may be my way out of my funk. So did pretty much the same exact swim as yesterday, just more kicking between 50's. Still out of breath at the start of each one, but I want to just have them be part of a set until I feel the day is here to go for broke, so I have some room to improve I suppose;

500s@8;00(7;14)
5x200IM kick@4;30 with 50 stroke IM order@1;00 in-between (kicks(3;53 to 3;49) 50's(33/38/39/31)
500p@7;00(6;15)
200 dolphin(4;23) 50s
2450SCY

So today went 95%(all push) and just felt a lot better than yesterday, thank goodness it is only a 50 though, all memory. So a 2;21 and add 2 for the digital clock(although my last 50 I saw a 30, but instantly was 31, so 30.9) for a 2;23 total time. Of course later I will get a real timer and have closer splits, but .5 add on per 50 is probably spot on..

And since you are so much younger than me Jason(and most everyone else) you can try and beat my time in your meter pools. We can calculate the conversion when someone else 63 puts up some numbers...(-;
Last edited by: monty: Oct 9, 19 14:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't swim until this evening. You are going DOWN!!!

seriously, I'm gonna have to make up some serious ground on the fly and back 50's, cuz I'm gonna be giving up time in the breast. I might need to suit up...

monty wrote:

Well I hope you have already left, and you dont get to see this until you get back. You have thoroughly screwed up my swimming head now, but it may be my way out of my funk. So did pretty much the same exact swim as yesterday, just more kicking between 50's. Still out of breath at the start of each one, but I want to just have them be part of a set until I feel the day is here to go for broke, so I have some room to improve I suppose;

500s@8;00(7;14)
5x200IM kick@4;30 with 50 stroke IM order@1;00 in-between (kicks(3;53 to 3;49) 50's(33/38/39/31)
500p@7;00(6;15)
200 dolphin(4;23) 50s
2450SCY

So today went 95%(all push) and just felt a lot better than yesterday, thank goodness it is only a 50 though, all memory. So a 2;21 and add 2 for the digital clock(although my last 50 I saw a 30, but instantly was 31, so 30.9) for a 2;23 total time. Of course later I will get a real timer and have closer splits, but .5 add on per 50 is probably spot on..

And since you are so much younger than me Jason(and most everyone else) you can try and beat my time in your meter pools. We can calculate the conversion when someone else 63 puts up some numbers...(-;

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks Jason.. working off R.L. Stevenson's apothegm "our business in life is not to succeed, but to continue to fail in good spirits", gave this a whirl..

scy, all push, fly, back, breast, free
44,41,43,29 for 2:37

converted to scm, 2:54 oh my.

there's some fat in that fly time - never try to swim fly fast, too busy trying to pace myself and not die..
also breaststroke is always tricky, getting the compromise between glide and turnover right, not sure I have.
back and free are about what I can do, can maybe get a second or so off the free time on a good day with the moon in the seventh house and Jupiter aligned with Mars..

----

Greta compares climate activism to an ultramarathon, and then pauses to correct herself. It’s more like an Iron Man triathlon, she says, you have to be excellent at many things at once, you have an incredible goal ahead, but when you’re in the moment, it’s just a matter of pushing the pedal one more time, taking another breath, putting one foot ahead of the other.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm down :)

I'll have to do this at a pool where I can film.

I'd aim for

So probably an add up time in the 2:05-2:06 range.

50 Fast- timed
200 easy
The whole cycle on 6 minutes.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Last edited by: realAB: Oct 10, 19 12:02
Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), who wants in on this action? [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in then. I've got LCM tomorrow morning so I'll hit it during or after practice from a push. I'm assuming I have an age advantage over some of you older guys at 23, maybe I'll need some kind of handicap. I'll report back tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), who wants in on this action? [Squidly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m essentially giving Monty a 10% handicap, he’s got 15 years on me. I figure that since you’ve got 25 years on me that another 10% there is good.

RealAB is only 5 years younger than me, so he’s gonna crush me straight up.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply

Prev Next