Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Yes or No, Do you think Trump is racist [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Quote:
But, if my kid was protesting homelessness and someone said, "go fix the homeless problem in Mexico, then show us how it is done," I would laugh and point out my kid has never been to Mexico.

Would it make a difference if they already knew your kids were not from Mexico?

Nope.

BarrP wrote:
I mean, what exactly are you defending, here? Are you suggesting that its perfectly okay to single out minorities and tell them to go back to countries that they never lived in because those countries happen to be full of people who look like them?

I mean, how far are we going word smith this one?

Bring back the days where racists just cheered when someone said the N-word. I don't like this passive aggressive racism that we've evolved into.

I was very, very, very clear in my last post that I cannot and will not defend his comment(s). I made that very clear. But, folks need to stop misstating what he said. What he said is bad enough, but, at least get it right.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Yes or No, Do you think Trump is racist [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
JSA wrote:
swimwithstones wrote:
A week ago I would have said no, that he was just a petty-minded, self-centered, moderately intelligent person who said things he knew would feel comforting to his base in their guts. Much like I don't believe Rush Limbaugh actually believes 50% of what he says, but rather says them to benefit his ratings, I thought Trump simply said what would achieve his desired ends.

But after last week, there is simply no question anymore that either he is a racist at heart, or is trying to convince every last person that he is a racist. By telling an American citizen to go back to where they came from is saying that by virtue of your skin color, America is not where you're "from." If you're white, you belong here. You're "from" here. If you're brown, you don't belong here. You're "from" somewhere else.

It's the definition of racist. My skin color denotes that I deserve the the benefits of this country. Your skin color denotes you don't belong here, so get off my land.

You know that is not what he said, right? He did not tell them to get out of the US. He told them to get their houses in order, then show us how it is done. He stated that the countries from which they originally came are "broken and crime infested places" and they should go fix them, then show us how it is done. That is completely and totally different than telling a person of color to get out of the US and never come back.

Does that mean he is not a racist? Of course not, don't be silly. But, if you are basing your position that he is a racist on the "fact" that he told people of color to get out of the US and don't come back, then you are playing with false facts.

Nope, he specifically mentions the countries they are originally from.

You just proved my point. Thank you.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Yes or No, Do you think Trump is racist [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
If someone told my kids to go back to Mexico, I'd be pissed. That would be saying my brown-skinned kids have no business in the US.//

And that would be racist, would it not? I get what you are trying to say, Trump may say racist things, may do racist things, but somehow, maybe he is not really racist. He is just pretending to be one, to appease a large portion of his base. But really, if you say racist things and do racist things, I think what you really feel is irrelevant at that point, you are racist..

Nope, not saying that. I'm going to write it for the third time in this thread - I cannot and will not defend what he said. I don't think it is defensible. But, I think what he actually said is bad enough. Folks don't need to misstate what he said. Just accurately state what he actually said and criticize what he actually said. What swimwithstones claimed Trump said is inaccurate.

Quote Reply
Re: Yes or No, Do you think Trump is racist [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
chaparral wrote:
JSA wrote:
swimwithstones wrote:
A week ago I would have said no, that he was just a petty-minded, self-centered, moderately intelligent person who said things he knew would feel comforting to his base in their guts. Much like I don't believe Rush Limbaugh actually believes 50% of what he says, but rather says them to benefit his ratings, I thought Trump simply said what would achieve his desired ends.

But after last week, there is simply no question anymore that either he is a racist at heart, or is trying to convince every last person that he is a racist. By telling an American citizen to go back to where they came from is saying that by virtue of your skin color, America is not where you're "from." If you're white, you belong here. You're "from" here. If you're brown, you don't belong here. You're "from" somewhere else.

It's the definition of racist. My skin color denotes that I deserve the the benefits of this country. Your skin color denotes you don't belong here, so get off my land.

You know that is not what he said, right? He did not tell them to get out of the US. He told them to get their houses in order, then show us how it is done. He stated that the countries from which they originally came are "broken and crime infested places" and they should go fix them, then show us how it is done. That is completely and totally different than telling a person of color to get out of the US and never come back.

Does that mean he is not a racist? Of course not, don't be silly. But, if you are basing your position that he is a racist on the "fact" that he told people of color to get out of the US and don't come back, then you are playing with false facts.

Sure, in that your point is that you must defend trump at all costs, even ignoring his own words. Glad I could help prove your point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
JSA wrote:
chaparral wrote:
JSA wrote:
swimwithstones wrote:

Sure, in that your point is that you must defend trump at all costs, even ignoring his own words. Glad I could help prove your point.

You really are vying for a permanent position as the LR Village Idiot, aren't you?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
chaparral wrote:
JSA wrote:
chaparral wrote:
JSA wrote:
swimwithstones wrote:

You really are vying for a permanent position as the LR Village Idiot, aren't you?

Try as I might, no way I could beat you for that title.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
JSA wrote:
chaparral wrote:
JSA wrote:
chaparral wrote:
JSA wrote:
swimwithstones wrote:

Why, because you're made of rubber and I'm made of glue?

But, you could be right. Every time I read one of your posts, I lose 2-3 IQ points. So, you keep at it!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
chaparral wrote:
JSA wrote:
chaparral wrote:
JSA wrote:
chaparral wrote:
JSA wrote:
swimwithstones wrote:

But, you could be right. Every time I read one of your posts, I lose 2-3 IQ points. So, you keep at it!

I am pretty sure that is a lie, because you don't even read what I write.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
JSA wrote:
chaparral wrote:
JSA wrote:
chaparral wrote:
JSA wrote:
chaparral wrote:
JSA wrote:
swimwithstones wrote:

I am pretty sure that is a lie, because you don't even read what I write.

Granted, it does take me a long time to read what you write. I am not fluid in Village Idiot. So, to read your posts, I have to use Google translate to convert your words to English. It takes some time. But, I do read every word and will continue to do so until the loss of IQ points I suffer from reading your drivel ends my ability to read.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
chaparral wrote:
JSA wrote:
chaparral wrote:
JSA wrote:
swimwithstones wrote:

Oh I don’t know. Barry started a hey look at me and how clever I am about dittoheads thread this afternoon. At one point 4 of the first 5 posters were Barry. Chappie. Cappy. And DeiselPete. It was pretty much a battle royale for VI.

Babies in cages!!! Babies in cages!!! Is coming up hard on the outside.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
monty wrote:
If someone told my kids to go back to Mexico, I'd be pissed. That would be saying my brown-skinned kids have no business in the US.//

And that would be racist, would it not? I get what you are trying to say, Trump may say racist things, may do racist things, but somehow, maybe he is not really racist. He is just pretending to be one, to appease a large portion of his base. But really, if you say racist things and do racist things, I think what you really feel is irrelevant at that point, you are racist..

Nope, not saying that. I'm going to write it for the third time in this thread - I cannot and will not defend what he said. I don't think it is defensible. But, I think what he actually said is bad enough. Folks don't need to misstate what he said. Just accurately state what he actually said and criticize what he actually said. What swimwithstones claimed Trump said is inaccurate.

I amused myself earlier this week thinking of you having to defend management in a case after they made this tweet about employees.

At some point you have to just call it a duck.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Granted, it does take me a long time to read what you write. I am not fluid in Village Idiot. So, to read your posts, I have to use Google translate to convert your words to English. It takes some time. But, I do read every word and will continue to do so until the loss of IQ points I suffer from reading your drivel ends my ability to read.

Well, I look forward to you continuing to bullshitting when you are obviously wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Yes or No, Do you think Trump is racist [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If there was any doubt Trump is a racist, just watch the highlights from his KKK rally in NC.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
JSA wrote:

Well, I look forward to you continuing to bullshitting when you are obviously wrong.

Sorry, even Google translate couldn't figure this one out ...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not being obtuse. You do understand that in this country it is encouraged to dissent unless that dissent was against Obama's policies. Then you were a RACIST.

and to try and improve the country. it is one of those great things about America. it is why they worked and got elected unless "Russia" helped them

to Congress, to improve the country. Kind of sounds like trying to Make America Great Again. In that case, it's RACIST.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
jmh wrote:
Not necessarily based upon this one statement in isolation, but based upon all available evidence, do you think Trump is a racist?

A simple "yes" or "no" will do, no need to explain.

I've explained this before. I know you want a yes or no answer. I cannot give it. I said before - I don't know, but, he acts like it. I don't know whether that is his true feeling or he is playing to a group of his supporters. Now, that doesn't make it right. Doesn't excuse it. Doesn't make it ok. But, I simply do not know. He certainly says things that give that impression and I cannot and will not defend that behavior.

Paul Ryan is that you?

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:

It is ridiculous that you have to keep posting these sentiments. Some of the loonies here go rabid if someone doesn't come out with a full-fledged attack on Trump for each and everything he says. Some of them (Chapparal chief among them) are acting a bit unhinged because they are reading your comments (like the one above) and are accusing you of defending/supporting Trump.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
chaparral wrote:
JSA wrote:

Sorry, even Google translate couldn't figure this one out ...

So what countries is trump tellling them to go back to? America? Is America the crime filled corrupt place? How do they go back to America?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:

did you see the rally? where he stood up there, drinking it in, as his crowd chanted, "send her back; send her back."

when i was a kind, and i mean something like 7 or 8, during the watts riots, the middle of the civil rights era, i remember thinking, ardently, that black people should go back to africa. that they shouldn't have come here in the first place if they didn't like it here. of course there were a few points of history i'd yet to learn. but i specifically remember having that thought, and i don't want to forget that i had that thought.

i don't know where that came from. how does that occur to an 8 year old? it came from somewhere. those thoughts found a pretty fertile ground in me, because that train of thought was made available to me and because nationalism and hate and scapegoating come naturally. the "thin veneer" of civilization is, boiled down, the taming, the denial, the unlearning, of ideas that come naturally.

trump is giving people the green light to throw off the constraints civilization places on us. he's made chumps of otherwise good people, formerly good people, occasionally good people. he's convinced 40 percent of america to gather 'round, take off their clothes, put on a propeller hat, wear swim fins, and circle jerk. in 10 years, somebody is going to poll america, asking who participated in the 2016 election, and if so who did we vote for, and that poll will say that 12 percent voted for trump. it will become our big national embarrassment, and every trumpist's private embarrassment.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Yes or No, Do you think Trump is racist [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"........gather 'round, take off their clothes, put on a propeller hat, wear swim fins, and circle jerk. "

Quoted for posterity. ;)

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Yes or No, Do you think Trump is racist [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Oh I don’t know. Barry started a hey look at me and how clever I am about dittoheads thread this afternoon.

Dude, I don't want to go out with you. Please stop calling this number!

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow! The last couple dozen posts read like they were written by juveniles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
JSA wrote:

did you see the rally? where he stood up there, drinking it in, as his crowd chanted, "send her back; send her back."

when i was a kind, and i mean something like 7 or 8, during the watts riots, the middle of the civil rights era, i remember thinking, ardently, that black people should go back to africa. that they shouldn't have come here in the first place if they didn't like it here. of course there were a few points of history i'd yet to learn. but i specifically remember having that thought, and i don't want to forget that i had that thought.

i don't know where that came from. how does that occur to an 8 year old? it came from somewhere. those thoughts found a pretty fertile ground in me, because that train of thought was made available to me and because nationalism and hate and scapegoating come naturally. the "thin veneer" of civilization is, boiled down, the taming, the denial, the unlearning, of ideas that come naturally.

trump is giving people the green light to throw off the constraints civilization places on us. he's made chumps of otherwise good people, formerly good people, occasionally good people. he's convinced 40 percent of america to gather 'round, take off their clothes, put on a propeller hat, wear swim fins, and circle jerk. in 10 years, somebody is going to poll america, asking who participated in the 2016 election, and if so who did we vote for, and that poll will say that 12 percent voted for trump. it will become our big national embarrassment, and every trumpist's private embarrassment.

Trump reminds me of George Wallace, from when I was a child.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
JSA wrote:

So, I’ll say it for the fourth (or maybe fifth) time - I’m not defending his conduct and it is indefensible. Again, I’m merely asking people to criticize what he actually said. Swim with stones did not do that. You did, and it wasn’t difficult, was it??? I don’t think I that is too much to ask.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
So, I’ll say it for the fourth (or maybe fifth) time - I’m not defending his conduct and it is indefensible. Again, I’m merely asking people to criticize what he actually said. Swim with stones did not do that. You did, and it wasn’t difficult, was it??? I don’t think I that is too much to ask.

I'm going to have to beg to differ with you. You think I think his actions are racist because he told them to get out. That's not what I said.

I'm saying he's racist because he told them to go back to where they were originally from. Three of the four of them are originally from the US, but of course, that's not what he meant. He meant they should go back to the country of their ancestors. But by suggesting where they're originally from is the same as where their ancestors are from, he is clearly saying that somehow they are not from America.

I don't care if he said they should come back or not. If you're focused on that, you're missing the issue. He is calling them "other." That's the point.
Quote Reply

Prev Next