Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Netflix is done
Quote | Reply
Possibly:

https://www.forbes.com/...l-over/#6444180e75c4

Personally I think he is off the mark. I don't see it as an either/or situation but more of an additional service. Especially at the price point of 6.99. I don't see people flocking away from Netflix to go to Disney. I see people adding Disney to their list of subscriptions. Netflix has a tonne of original content I will stick around for.
Quote Reply
Re: Netflix is done [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am interested to see what other revenue sources Netflix pursues. Ads/commercials? A premium membership with no ads? Purchasing access to content a la carte?

I also wonder at what point these streaming services crackdown on multiple log ins under the same account.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
Possibly:

Personally I think he is off the mark. I don't see it as an either/or situation but more of an additional service. Especially at the price point of 6.99. I don't see people flocking away from Netflix to go to Disney. I see people adding Disney to their list of subscriptions. Netflix has a tonne of original content I will stick around for.

Netflix is more than 6.99.

I think he's right on target personally
Quote Reply
Re: Netflix is done [milkman1982] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milkman1982 wrote:
I also wonder at what point these streaming services crackdown on multiple log ins under the same account.

This. Once that happens we'll see what demand really is
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milkman1982 wrote:

Snitch.
Quote Reply
Re: Netflix is done [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
M~ wrote:
Possibly:

2nd part is Apple is supposedly getting into content production. Apple’s pocket change is how much Netflix is borrowing to spend on content. Apple can probably nuke their ability to create content just because they can pay way more than Netflix.

We have a 3 year old and 6 month old, we’ll be paying for the Disney Streaming service. As far as Netflix we’ll see how long we keep it. We seem to be using it significantly less now. But at $12 a month or whatever it is, it’s not something we’re getting rid of because of the price.
Quote Reply
Re: Netflix is done [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
windywave wrote:
M~ wrote:
Possibly:

2nd part is Apple is supposedly getting into content production. Apple’s pocket change is how much Netflix is borrowing to spend on content. Apple can probably nuke their ability to create content just because they can pay way more than Netflix.

We have a 3 year old and 6 month old, we’ll be paying for the Disney Streaming service. As far as Netflix we’ll see how long we keep it. We seem to be using it significantly less now. But at $12 a month or whatever it is, it’s not something we’re getting rid of because of the price.

I wont be getting rid of it. My sub is paid for by my T-Mobile plan. :o)
Quote Reply
Re: Netflix is done [Goosedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with M. Even if I thought the Disney content was great, I would probably add it and keep my Netflix. I'd think Netflix's bigger concern would be all the cash they are burning through.
Also, in 2-3 years, I bet Disney is the same price as Netflix, per month.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
M~ wrote:
Possibly:

I realize Netflix is more. My point is 6.99 on top of Netflix is still a great deal over cable or other streaming avenues.
What lost me in the article is his theory about Disney releasing a movie on their streaming site the same day it comes out in theatres. This tells me he really didn't think this through too much. Does Disney not like ticket sales? Concession merchandising? Even if it came out on their streaming service the same day AND they charged extra on their streaming site to see it, I still don't think they would be ahead doing that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
M~ wrote:
Possibly:

Disney is $6.99. He wasn't saying that Netflix is $6.99

I will definitely check out Disney and weigh it against Netflix. I already have Prime so Disney and Prime would probably have more than enough content that I could get rid of Netflix.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
windywave wrote:
M~ wrote:
Possibly:

I realize Netflix is more. My point is 6.99 on top of Netflix is still a great deal over cable or other streaming avenues.
What lost me in the article is his theory about Disney releasing a movie on their streaming site the same day it comes out in theatres. This tells me he really didn't think this through too much. Does Disney not like ticket sales? Concession merchandising? Even if it came out on their streaming service the same day AND they charged extra on their streaming site to see it, I still don't think they would be ahead doing that.

You’re always going to have people go to the movies but Disney only gets a certain percentage of ticket sales. Currently it’s huge 65% for some of their blockbusters but still 65% of zero is still zero because a lot of people don’t want to go out to movies because of the cost.

If they had the option of 15 bucks to watch it when it came out at home, vs having to spend 40 in tickets for you and your family to go to a theater it’s a very viable option for a lot of people.

I don’t know it it nets them more money in the long run, but it is a possibility, that I don’t think he’s far off the mark on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
windywave wrote:
M~ wrote:
Possibly:

Does Disney get a cut of concessions? I don't think same release is on and off line is realistic, but I don't see Netflix content spending being sustainable.
Quote Reply
Re: Netflix is done [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
windywave wrote:
M~ wrote:
Possibly:

I will definitely check out Disney and weigh it against Netflix. I already have Prime so Disney and Prime would probably have more than enough content that I could get rid of Netflix.

I have Comcast Xfinity and basically get whatever I need (netflix as well and then Prime, but that is for free delivery). I may have to get ESPN+ for some sports and Disney + for children as the case may be, but Netflix would be the first thing I cut
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's the thing for me, I hardly ever watch TV other than sports. So this is just for the two kids.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milkman1982 wrote:
I am interested to see what other revenue sources Netflix pursues. Ads/commercials? A premium membership with no ads? Purchasing access to content a la carte?

This one, I have never understood. It isn't difficult to stop this. I cannot believe they have not done something about this yet.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
windywave wrote:
M~ wrote:
Possibly:

I thought you chimed in on a couple Netflix originals that you were watching. Am I misremembering that?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Netflix is done [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
BLeP wrote:
windywave wrote:
M~ wrote:
Possibly:

I thought you chimed in on a couple Netflix originals that you were watching. Am I misremembering that?

Maybe before kid #2 came along. At this point I just don't have time. Once kids are in bed, we do dishes, clean up the mess they made, maybe chat for an hour and then go to bed.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe that was it.

I cannot recall the last time I watched a movie or tv show on Netflix. The only thing I watch on Netflix is original content. Same with Amazon Prime. I keep both because I like their original content.

On caveat: I did watch The Bodyguard, based on someone's recommendation, and I think that was a BBC show brought to Netflix. So, technically not original content, but, something we would not otherwise get in the US.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
M~ wrote:
Possibly:

The author of that piece does not subscribe to Netflix. All he talks about is Movie's Netflix movie selection is Horrible. I actually still have the netflix DVD just for movies, and get a lot from the local library. Netflix streaming movies.. forget about it.

Its about the series. It will be an interesting thing to watch, but I am not sure its as game over as he is leading folks to believe.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
milkman1982 wrote:

This. Once that happens we'll see what demand really is

Most of the "cable" substitutes, philo, playstation Vue, sling, etc.. have already done that.

Its only the ones that broadcast content not channels (Hulu basic, Netflix, amazon prime) that have not.

Just Triing
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Netflix is done [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
M~ wrote:
windywave wrote:
M~ wrote:
Possibly:

You’re always going to have people go to the movies but Disney only gets a certain percentage of ticket sales. Currently it’s huge 65% for some of their blockbusters but still 65% of zero is still zero because a lot of people don’t want to go out to movies because of the cost.

If they had the option of 15 bucks to watch it when it came out at home, vs having to spend 40 in tickets for you and your family to go to a theater it’s a very viable option for a lot of people.

I don’t know it it nets them more money in the long run, but it is a possibility, that I don’t think he’s far off the mark on.

What would Disney's motivation be to release at the same time. Seems DVD's come out about 3 - 6 months after a release, why would they not just drop on the streaming service then or say after a month. Those that really want to see it will pay to go the theater, those willing to wait will get it soon enough. Guess I just don't see why they would give up the cash cow, and the media hype around the block buster. They start stealing from the seats, and all of the sudden its not a huge theater grossing $$$ block buster and there is less hype.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Re: Netflix is done [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
everyone with kids will do disney+
its a slam dunk/home run/open net/etc
Quote Reply
Re: Netflix is done [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my 3.5 year old is still very upset the Netflix in Canada pulled Moana recently
plus my wife and I waste money on way more stupid things per month....$6 is absolutely nothing
Quote Reply
Re: Netflix is done [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
y_nigel wrote:
everyone with kids will do disney+
its a slam dunk/home run/open net/etc

i don't think anyone is arguing people won't do Disney, but will they dump netflix? As you say, 6 bucks is nothing. I say people will add to their subscription and not dump netflix as this guy is indicating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We discussed this a few months ago. They are not done but they have to expand and there is only one logical place to expand too, Adult Entertainment.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply

Prev Next