Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lyft Says It’s ‘Not in the Transportation Business,’ So Disability Law Doesn't Apply [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
JSA wrote:

And Grubhub now provides public transportation ...

Because they're clearly not in the food delivery business!

They aren't in the restaurant business or the food preparation business or even the raw food handling business, I think we can agree on that.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Lyft Says It’s ‘Not in the Transportation Business,’ So Disability Law Doesn't Apply [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
windywave wrote:
JSA wrote:
windywave wrote:
Endo wrote:
AirBnB is an interesting angle. I wonder if they are required to have wheelchair or handicap accessible options (ramps, bathrooms) as part of their available options.

THEY ARE NOT PROVIDING THE SERVICE. (Side note most buildings are required to be ADA compliant)

True. But, many (probably most) places on AirBnB are private residences that are not required to be ADA compliant. That said, your first comment is spot on.

I've only ever used it to rent condo units on vacation. The public areas have to be ADA compliant, no?

That is correct. If we are talking about an apartment building, a multi-condo unit. etc., then the public areas must be ADA compliant and the individual units must be able to be configured to be ADA compliant if the occupying party needs it.

I've only rented houses on AirBnB. Those private houses are not required to be ADA compliant. That said, an argument could be made that, if the house is solely used as a rental property, it may have to be ADA compliant.

Difference between married with a gaggle of children and gaggle free
Quote Reply
Re: Lyft Says It’s ‘Not in the Transportation Business,’ So Disability Law Doesn't Apply [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
They aren't in the restaurant business or the food preparation business or even the raw food handling business, I think we can agree on that.

Yes, but they're in the food delivery business. Airbnb is in the short-term housing rental business. Uber and Lyft are in the ridesharing business. Ridesharing, I think, could be considered a type of transportation?
Quote Reply
Re: Lyft Says It’s ‘Not in the Transportation Business,’ So Disability Law Doesn't Apply [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
JSA wrote:

Yes, but they're in the food delivery business. Airbnb is in the short-term housing rental business. Uber and Lyft are in the ridesharing business. Ridesharing, I think, could be considered a type of transportation?

No more so than posting something on the bulletin board looking for a ride home at Winter break and offering 50 bucks. Does the bulletin board need to ensure ADA compliance?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
JSA wrote:

What properties does AirBnB own?

Is ebay in the retail sales business?

How many vehicles does Lyft own? How many drivers do they employ as W-2 employees?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Lyft Says It’s ‘Not in the Transportation Business,’ So Disability Law Doesn't Apply [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here are some of Lyft's patent. They sure use the term "transportation" and "vehicle" a lot for a company that's just a bulletin board:

"Facilitating transportation services by generating a directional indicator between a requester and a transportation "
"Optimizing pickup locations for transportation requests based on context information"
"Ride chaining"
"Autonomous vehicle notification system"
"Switching between object detection and data transfer with a vehicle radar"
"Detecting and handling material left in vehicles by transportation requestors"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Here are some of Lyft's patent. They sure use the term "transportation" and "vehicle" a lot for a company that's just a bulletin board:

"Facilitating transportation services by generating a directional indicator between a requester and a transportation "
"Optimizing pickup locations for transportation requests based on context information"
"Ride chaining"
"Autonomous vehicle notification system"
"Switching between object detection and data transfer with a vehicle radar"
"Detecting and handling material left in vehicles by transportation requestors"

First word of the first patent all you need buddy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:

How many vehicles does Lyft own? How many drivers do they employ as W-2 employees?

Oh, I don't know or care about the legal stuff. My only point is that they're a transportation company when speaking in plain English. I'm sure they could spin that way now, but my point is that most of their capital is going into self-driving cars right now. And there's simply no way to spin that managing a fleet of self-driving cars is done by anything other than a transportation company.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
JSA wrote:

Oh, I don't know or care about the legal stuff. My only point is that they're a transportation company when speaking in plain English. I'm sure they could spin that way now, but my point is that most of their capital is going into self-driving cars right now. And there's simply no way to spin that managing a fleet of self-driving cars is done by anything other than a transportation company.

And the self driving cars will be ADA compliant big boy. If they aren't I'll be right next to you with a pitchfork
Quote Reply
Re: Lyft Says It’s ‘Not in the Transportation Business,’ So Disability Law Doesn't Apply [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Bumble Bee wrote:
Justgeorge wrote:
Would the solution to this be for Lyft to update the app to let disabled passengers request a handicapped-accessible ride and match their request to drivers who can accommodate them?

Yes. It is required of the taxi industry. Uber and Lyft spend a lot of money buying, er, donating to campaign funds, to get laws rewritten.

You don't see the difference between a taxi and a ride share company?

They both trade rides for money.
Quote Reply
Re: Lyft Says It’s ‘Not in the Transportation Business,’ So Disability Law Doesn't Apply [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumble Bee wrote:
windywave wrote:
Bumble Bee wrote:
Justgeorge wrote:
Would the solution to this be for Lyft to update the app to let disabled passengers request a handicapped-accessible ride and match their request to drivers who can accommodate them?

Yes. It is required of the taxi industry. Uber and Lyft spend a lot of money buying, er, donating to campaign funds, to get laws rewritten.

You have a fundamental misunderstanding of how rideshare works.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
JSA wrote:

As soon as they operate their own cars, you can make that argument. By relying solely on that argument, you are conceding that, at present, because they own no cars, they are not a transportation company.

YOU may not care about the "legal stuff," but, the "legal stuff" is all that matters.

Quote Reply
Re: Lyft Says It’s ‘Not in the Transportation Business,’ So Disability Law Doesn't Apply [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumble Bee wrote:
windywave wrote:
Bumble Bee wrote:
Justgeorge wrote:

Nope. A taxi company owns the vehicles and employs the drivers. Lyft does neither.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

You're just being silly. Uber and Lyft are in the business of transporting people. I'm fine giving a wink-wink at them to avoid ADA compliance. I think it's silly to require them to do be ADA compliant in this case. Government regulation has to adapt to the real economy. The proper way to do that is to change the regulation. But just pretending they're not a transportation company just enables the continuance of poor regulatory law.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Next, you will argue that LinkedIn is an employment agency.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
By relying solely on that argument, you are conceding that, at present, because they own no cars, they are not a transportation company.

YOU may not care about the "legal stuff," but, the "legal stuff" is all that matters.

I replied above. The legal stuff matters. I just think it's better to change the law side rather than do the mental gymnastics to pretend a transportation company isn't a transportation company.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:

What? The analogy isn't close enough to even be silly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
JSA wrote:

What? The analogy isn't close enough to even be silly.

Why? They connect people who have jobs to offer with people who are seeking jobs.

Lyft connects people who need rides with people who have rides to offer.

It is a perfect analogy that illustrates the fallacy of your position.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
windywave wrote:

You're just being silly. Uber and Lyft are in the business of transporting people. I'm fine giving a wink-wink at them to avoid ADA compliance. I think it's silly to require them to do be ADA compliant in this case. Government regulation has to adapt to the real economy. The proper way to do that is to change the regulation. But just pretending they're not a transportation company just enables the continuance of poor regulatory law.

And how do they do this "transporting? "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
JSA wrote:
By relying solely on that argument, you are conceding that, at present, because they own no cars, they are not a transportation company.

I replied above. The legal stuff matters. I just think it's better to change the law side rather than do the mental gymnastics to pretend a transportation company isn't a transportation company.

Right now, Lyft does not provide transportation services anymore than Travelocity provides transportation services. Once Lyft deploys its own vehicles, the situation will have changed. But, that is not now.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
windywave wrote:

Nope. Lyft connects transporters with those who need transportation. Lyft does not provide transportation.

Look, this is really, really easy to prove. If you log in to the Lyft app and request a ride and no drivers are out, available, and/or in your area, you don't get a ride. Lyft does not deploy another vehicle or driver to your location. It merely connects you with a driver in your location, but, only if one is available.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Bumble Bee wrote:
windywave wrote:
Bumble Bee wrote:
Justgeorge wrote:

I'm sorry, I thought you paid Uber and Lyft whenever you got a ride. My mistake (sarcasm if it's not obvious)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bumble Bee wrote:
windywave wrote:
Bumble Bee wrote:
windywave wrote:
Bumble Bee wrote:
Justgeorge wrote:

I'm sorry, I thought you paid Uber and Lyft whenever you got a ride. My mistake (sarcasm if it's not obvious)

Nope. You pay the driver. Lyft and Uber collect the fee as part of their service and deduct an appropriate fee.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bumble Bee wrote:
windywave wrote:
Bumble Bee wrote:
windywave wrote:
Bumble Bee wrote:
Justgeorge wrote:

You also pay ebay every time you buy an item off of ebay. Do you think ebay is in the retail sales business?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:

Nope. A taxi company owns the vehicles and employs the drivers. Lyft does neither.

No, you're dead wrong. Taxi companies typically lease cabs to drivers, who are in many cases not employees.

You're trying to draw a bright line between taxis and Lyft, but I don't think the line is quite that clear.

The common element is that both taxi cos and Lyft spend a lot of money on rat bastard attorneys. :-)
Last edited by: eb: May 4, 19 23:02
Quote Reply

Prev Next