Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Lyft Says It’s ‘Not in the Transportation Business,’ So Disability Law Doesn't Apply
Quote | Reply
My first thought was this is a load of B.S. My second too;

"In response to multiple discrimination lawsuits, Lyft argued that “it is not in the transportation business” and therefore should not be troubled by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Instead, Lyft argues, it is a technology company."

https://gizmodo.com/...siness-so-1834514668

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Lyft Says It’s ‘Not in the Transportation Business,’ So Disability Law Doesn't Apply [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see their line of reasoning. They just make an app, and the drivers who use their app are responsible for the transportation.

That's going to be increasingly hard to spin in the future, though, as both Uber and Lyft are spending vast amounts in the race to self-driving cars. And that technology is going directly onto vehicles vs. just the phone of the driver.
Last edited by: trail: May 4, 19 12:30
Quote Reply
Re: Lyft Says It’s ‘Not in the Transportation Business,’ So Disability Law Doesn't Apply [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:

"In response to multiple discrimination lawsuits, Lyft argued that “it is not in the transportation business” and therefore should not be troubled by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Instead, Lyft argues, it is a technology company."

Why is it BS? Do they drive people?
Quote Reply
Re: Lyft Says It’s ‘Not in the Transportation Business,’ So Disability Law Doesn't Apply [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
jkca1 wrote:

Did you read the article? Take another look at page 3 of the S-1 form Lyft recently filed with the SEC in the lead-up to the company’s $25 billion IPO. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck, even if you want to call it a chicken.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
windywave wrote:
jkca1 wrote:

Did you read the article? Take another look at page 3 of the S-1 form Lyft recently filed with the SEC in the lead-up to the company’s $25 billion IPO. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck, even if you want to call it a chicken.

No.

I will read and then revert.
Quote Reply
Re: Lyft Says It’s ‘Not in the Transportation Business,’ So Disability Law Doesn't Apply [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
jkca1 wrote:
windywave wrote:
jkca1 wrote:

No.

I will read and then revert.

Read it. Nothing in my mind changed. They are effectively a broker matching transportation seeker with transportation provider.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So let's agree to disagree and see how this plays out in the courts.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

Read it. Nothing in my mind changed. They are effectively a broker matching transportation seeker with transportation provider.

"not in the transportation business." :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hasn't ride sharing actually benefitted a lot of people with disabilities who can't drive safely? Maybe they don't support all disabled people, but the lowered cost of transportation does have benefit to many people with disabilities. Especially older people who shouldn't be driving. I would rather see them using ride sharing than getting handicap placards and driving.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
So let's agree to disagree and see how this plays out in the courts.

Fair enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:

I believe AirBnB would make the same claim.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would the solution to this be for Lyft to update the app to let disabled passengers request a handicapped-accessible ride and match their request to drivers who can accommodate them?

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: Lyft Says It’s ‘Not in the Transportation Business,’ So Disability Law Doesn't Apply [Justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Justgeorge wrote:
Would the solution to this be for Lyft to update the app to let disabled passengers request a handicapped-accessible ride and match their request to drivers who can accommodate them?

Yes. It is required of the taxi industry. Uber and Lyft spend a lot of money buying, er, donating to campaign funds, to get laws rewritten.
Quote Reply
Re: Lyft Says It’s ‘Not in the Transportation Business,’ So Disability Law Doesn't Apply [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumble Bee wrote:
Justgeorge wrote:

Yes. It is required of the taxi industry. Uber and Lyft spend a lot of money buying, er, donating to campaign funds, to get laws rewritten.

Unlike the taxi industry... because they never had politicians in their pocket enforcing artificial scarcity to detriment of consumers, which includes disabled people.

The whole reason the taxi industry existed is because they owned politicians.
Quote Reply
Re: Lyft Says It’s ‘Not in the Transportation Business,’ So Disability Law Doesn't Apply [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumble Bee wrote:
Justgeorge wrote:

You don't see the difference between a taxi and a ride share company?
Quote Reply
Re: Lyft Says It’s ‘Not in the Transportation Business,’ So Disability Law Doesn't Apply [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AirBnB is an interesting angle. I wonder if they are required to have wheelchair or handicap accessible options (ramps, bathrooms) as part of their available rentals.

Last edited by: Endo: May 4, 19 18:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is Travelocity in the transportation business?

What about Turo? Is it in the transportation business?

Autotrader. Are they in the transportation business? Do they sell transportation vehicles?

Is Grubhub in the restaurant business?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Lyft Says It’s ‘Not in the Transportation Business,’ So Disability Law Doesn't Apply [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:
AirBnB is an interesting angle. I wonder if they are required to have wheelchair or handicap accessible options (ramps, bathrooms) as part of their available options.

THEY ARE NOT PROVIDING THE SERVICE. (Side note most buildings are required to be ADA compliant)
Quote Reply
Re: Lyft Says It’s ‘Not in the Transportation Business,’ So Disability Law Doesn't Apply [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:
AirBnB is an interesting angle. I wonder if they are required to have wheelchair or handicap accessible options (ramps, bathrooms) as part of their available rentals.

Nope. AirBnB does not provide lodging. It connects those seeking lodging with those offering lodging.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Lyft Says It’s ‘Not in the Transportation Business,’ So Disability Law Doesn't Apply [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Is Travelocity in the transportation business?

What about Turo? Is it in the transportation business?

Autotrader. Are they in the transportation business? Do they sell transportation vehicles?

Is Grubhub in the restaurant business?

Preach it brother
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Endo wrote:
AirBnB is an interesting angle. I wonder if they are required to have wheelchair or handicap accessible options (ramps, bathrooms) as part of their available options.

THEY ARE NOT PROVIDING THE SERVICE. (Side note most buildings are required to be ADA compliant)

True. But, many (probably most) places on AirBnB are private residences that are not required to be ADA compliant. That said, your first comment is spot on.

Quote Reply
Re: Lyft Says It’s ‘Not in the Transportation Business,’ So Disability Law Doesn't Apply [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
windywave wrote:

"not in the transportation business." :)

And Grubhub now provides public transportation ...

Quote Reply
Re: Lyft Says It’s ‘Not in the Transportation Business,’ So Disability Law Doesn't Apply [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
windywave wrote:
Endo wrote:

True. But, many (probably most) places on AirBnB are private residences that are not required to be ADA compliant. That said, your first comment is spot on.

I've only ever used it to rent condo units on vacation. The public areas have to be ADA compliant, no?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:

And Grubhub now provides public transportation ...

Because they're clearly not in the food delivery business!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
JSA wrote:
windywave wrote:
Endo wrote:

I've only ever used it to rent condo units on vacation. The public areas have to be ADA compliant, no?

That is correct. If we are talking about an apartment building, a multi-condo unit. etc., then the public areas must be ADA compliant and the individual units must be able to be configured to be ADA compliant if the occupying party needs it.

I've only rented houses on AirBnB. Those private houses are not required to be ADA compliant. That said, an argument could be made that, if the house is solely used as a rental property, it may have to be ADA compliant.

Quote Reply

Prev Next