Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: March Fish Thread [Optimal_Adrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://swimswam.com/...he-kick-in-swimming/

Yay, a "sports scientist" telling the coaching community that they're all wrong for putting an emphasis on the kick. I like Gold Medal Mel's comment. Essentially, "yeah, that's a nice theory, now show me your work"

And for fly he's just wrong. If you've ever pulled a fly set, you know that the kick is definitely propulsive.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: March Fish Thread [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's... a take I guess...

"The intensity of the kick for a 200m race will be less than 100m and quite a bit less than a 50m race"

No shit, sherlock. That's called limited energy, no one can maintain a 50m effort for 200m.

-----
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No shit, sherlock. That's called limited energy, no one can maintain a 50m effort for 200m.

Thats funny that this even has to be said, I guess the painfully obvious is not always so...

More 50s for me today, seeing if this old body can develop speed still;

2x100s@1;40(1;21/20) 100IM kick(1;55)
8x50 fly@1;15(3 kick, kick, pull, one hard-47/47/47/38/47/47/46/36)
8x50 breast@1;15(3 kick, kick, pull, one hard-48/47/47/41/47/47/46/40)100IM kick(1;52)
500p@7;00(6;23) 100IM kick(1;53)
4x50free@1;15(34's)100IM kick(1;55)
4x50 back, odds fast, evens med fast(40/42/39/42) 100IM kick(1;52)
500p@7;00(6;18)
100IM kick(1;52)100 buoy(1;21)
3100SCY

I just saw there is a pentathlon meet this weekend about an hour away from me, I might just jump in and see how slow I actually am at the moment. And I just figured out I need actual qualifying times if I want to do nationals, so have to swim sometime I suppose. Been over 7 years since I went off blocks in a meet, I don't even have a race suit!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Other thing about Dressel and this swim meet, I just saw that he had the fastest time overall from that B heat, so really looks like he just sandbagged a hair too much in the prelims. Probably a very good lesson to learn now, and not at trials or the games...

He beat the fastest swimmer in the A final by .2, quite a bit in sprinting, and certainly a rare event from the B final...

And looks like he made 3 finals today too, I will be looking forward to his 200 free(edit, looks like those were finals he swam already). Not sure he has done one in a big meet lately. This is his 800 free relay prep no doubt..
Last edited by: monty: Mar 8, 19 17:38
Quote Reply
Re: March Fish Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He was wearing a brief, not a tech suit, in heats. Combine that with maybe feeling a little off in the morning, plus needing to be pretty quick to make the A final (8th in heats was 49-mid), and he missed out. I doubt he really cared, he’s swimming this meet tired. It’s just a day to see where he’s at. I don’t think it’s so much “sandbagging” as it is just being a hair off in the morning. I don’t get the impression from Dressel that he’s a sandbagger.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dont mean sandbagging in the literal sense, just the soft swimming one does when your are either the fastest in the world, or one of the fastest. And when you swim so many events like he does(and Phelps and Lochte before him) he cannot go all out all the time. There is a backing off of the gas pedal, and I believe he just backed off a hair too much.

Of course it could have just been an off swim, but all his other swims at this meet would suggest otherwise it would seem. Trying to thread the needle of a couple tenths is a dangerous game, even for the worlds best it appears...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I dont mean sandbagging in the literal sense, just the soft swimming one does when your are either the fastest in the world, or one of the fastest. And when you swim so many events like he does(and Phelps and Lochte before him) he cannot go all out all the time. There is a backing off of the gas pedal, and I believe he just backed off a hair too much.

Of course it could have just been an off swim, but all his other swims at this meet would suggest otherwise it would seem. Trying to thread the needle of a couple tenths is a dangerous game, even for the worlds best it appears...

I don’t think he backed off at all. He’s tired, like a lot of guys at this meet. Blake Pieroni said that he was exhausted coming into this meet, for example.

Dressel just got 5th in the 50 fly final in 23.99, a bit over a second slower than his American record. Granted, he’s already swum the 2free final tonight, but when he’s fresh he’s a body length better than anyone else in the field.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Mar 8, 19 18:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sprints last night.

Main set:
3x {
6 x 25 all out with dive starts
}

Total 2800 SCM

Going to try and do the CSS test on Sunday as part of a technical set I'm going to put together for myself. Does anybody incorporate this into their training? I figure if anything it'll give me a good benchmark to gauge my fitness as the year progresses.
Quote Reply
Re: March Fish Thread [vijeet88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t, but I’m not a distance swimmer. That’s really where CSS has relevance

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
8.5 mi run, 725 yd swim. Main set was 5 x 100 on 1:30

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Zenmaster28 wrote:
Yes, that's my plan. 1500 will be my target event if I can keep on track between now and then. I'm going to be in BC for 10 days starting Sunday, I'll have to find a way to get some pool time in there.

I'm gonna be in Bermuda for 10 days or so in a little over a week. I'm planning on getting in the pool every morning (hopefully that works out), the pool is only a 5 minute drive from my parents' house. And I have a mask/snorkel/fins set for the 3 year old. It'll be awesome, lots of water time (I hope).

Hey this sounds really awesome. Can you post some pics from that pool in Bermuda?

We have Ontario Provincials in 2 weeks. I'm going to do all the IM events (100,200,400,800IM), the 1500 free and 200 fly. Things are going reasonably well. I recently started skate skiing again as I seem to have regained some control over my left leg which is helping my fly and breast stroke a bit.

I have not been on ST that much. I've been pretty pre occupied with my startup and aside from this fish thread and some running threads, most of ST is just bike techie propellerhead guys rambling about the same tech stuff. This is pretty well the only thread were sport is dicussed vs toys and gear. I am sure once more races are going on there will be more threads about actual racing vs toys. Till then, keep swimming.

I actually did an 800IM "build" as part of my daily 1000m warmup....200m easy free, 800IM build, then kick sets then main set usually 50's, 100's, 200's hard.
Quote Reply
Re: March Fish Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
800 IM sounds downright horrible. I've never heard of that being an event before.
Quote Reply
Re: March Fish Thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3x500 desc swim, pull, pb+pads
100 ez

Never done that much pad work so, I took it a little easy. Hope to be able to push it a little harder as I get used to it.
Quote Reply
Re: March Fish Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last hard work out before 1000 free at NE Masters meet next Saturday than 500 free/400IM/200IM the following weekend. Looking to be about 3 sec faster per 100 than last year in all races.

SCYs
300s(3:55)/200k/300P(3:43) 4x50 IM stroke on 60

5x200IM on 3:30 (2:52-56)
Broken 200 IM 10 sec at 50s (2:43)
6x50K on 1:15
6x50FR on 50 (34-36)
4x50 fly on 70 (40s)
4x25 fly on 40 (18s)
100 cool down
Quote Reply
Re: March Fish Thread [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zenmaster28 wrote:
800 IM sounds downright horrible. I've never heard of that being an event before.

They have a heat in the 800 free at MSO provincials where you sign up to do IM.
Quote Reply
Re: March Fish Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
14.2 mi run, 775 yd swim (550 swim + 50 kick + 150 swim + 25 kick)

forgot the number of swims, will figure it out later, but 81/86 on 100/100

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
We have Ontario Provincials in 2 weeks. I'm going to do all the IM events (100,200,400,800IM), the 1500 free and 200 fly. Things are going reasonably well. I recently started skate skiing again as I seem to have regained some control over my left leg which is helping my fly and breast stroke a bit.

I have not been on ST that much. I've been pretty pre occupied with my startup and aside from this fish thread and some running threads, most of ST is just bike techie propellerhead guys rambling about the same tech stuff. This is pretty well the only thread were sport is dicussed vs toys and gear. I am sure once more races are going on there will be more threads about actual racing vs toys. Till then, keep swimming.

I actually did an 800IM "build" as part of my daily 1000m warmup....200m easy free, 800IM build, then kick sets then main set usually 50's, 100's, 200's hard.

Roughly, what do you project your 1500 time will be?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did 90 mins in the water today. 4000 ish? Lots of drills trying to work on my crossover in freestyle, plus a bit of fly mixed in. General structure was 2-300n of drills followed by 4x50 swim on :60 “strong” with technical emphasis. Held 34 -36 throughout.

4x50 fly - first 3 were mixing 1-arm and drill, going about :40 on those. Last one was full stroke - :33. Off time was 1:10 rather than :60 though.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3000 yards in the 53° ocean (yes, wetsuit). Followed that with a 6.2 mile run exploring the trails of the Las Ramblas Wilderness where next week I’m racing a 10k there. There’s nothing technical there, but parts are very steep. I can’t go as fast as I could a year ago with my back issues, but I finished with energy – still have endurance, just no speed.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: March Fish Thread [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Masters Team Practice:

1000 SKIPS warmup
(200 Swim, 200 Kick, 200 IM, 200 Pull, 200 Swim)

8x50 on 1:00, strong UDK off walls into race-effort breakout, then ease off)

4x200 on 3:30 for average (2:35)

100 EZ backstroke

2x[4x75 IM Cascade (fly-back-breast, back-breast-free, breast-free-fly, free-fly-back) on 1:45

600 cool down.

3500scy total. First time I swam 3500 yards in about 10 months.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Mar 10, 19 14:45
Quote Reply
Re: March Fish Thread [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NealH wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Roughly, what do you project your 1500 time will be?

I have no idea where I will land for the 1500m time, as my training has been focused on back, fly, breast during various sets/IM sets. I don't see why it would be slower than last year (24.42). In theory if I can swim each 100m 1 second faster, then I can target sub 24:30. I need to shave off 3 seconds per 100m to go under 24 so I think that's not going to likely happen.

I'm just using the 1500m at provincials as a test time and then I will have three more meets to see where it goes between now and Nationals during the 3rd week of May. But really, I don't really care too much about the 1500m time. I had done that in every olympic tri in a triathlon in my life. I am more interested in gradually improving at the other three strokes and getting better at fly and IM events (and standalone back and breast stroke events in which I am really really bad, but that provides an opportunity to improve).
Quote Reply
Re: March Fish Thread [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, first meet in over 7 years in now in the books. I had no idea what to expect, except that I knew I would thrash doing 50's in each stroke and the 100IM. It went ok, my arms were empty at the end, figured I did 3500 or so, with 5 all out sprints sprinkled in..All in a training suit, no taper, and nothing to taper off of...

50 fly--29.5. Just happy there is still a 2 at the front, my days may be numbered on breaking 30
50 back- did a push off start and my lower calf cramped right away. swam anyway and it tore a bit, hoping it is temporary-35.7
50 breast- this was the event I was most anxious to see, and it went ok, faster than my back, so something wrong there--35.5
50 free- felt like a windmill, long on turn, and actually got arm weary halfway back- 27.3
100IM- knew it was going to be tough, but managed a 1;09.6, so still under 1;10- 33.6 out, 36 for breast/free

I feel positive about all the swims, I have almost 6 weeks to try and become a swimmer again before nationals. I have some speed left, so now time to build endurance in my best events, 200fly/200 Brest/200/400IM's. And this just reinforces that I need to get in an actual lane with some folks at a real practice, this HOA club pool swimming has hit its limit I'm afraid.

I did at least win the sprint pentathlon in my AG, even beat a couple of the younger ones too..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I’m gonna try to get some photos and maybe video while I’m down there.

On another good note, I’ve lost 3 lbs over the last 10 days, not doing anything crazy, just switching out my pre-bedtime snack to an apple instead of chips. Chips are my kryptonite. If I open a bag I WILL eat the whole bag. I can moderate anything else.

And Monty, well done!

I know a few guys who are faster breaststrokers than back. You aren’t alone.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Ok, first meet in over 7 years in now in the books. I had no idea what to expect, except that I knew I would thrash doing 50's in each stroke and the 100IM. It went ok, my arms were empty at the end, figured I did 3500 or so, with 5 all out sprints sprinkled in..All in a training suit, no taper, and nothing to taper off of...

50 fly--29.5. Just happy there is still a 2 at the front, my days may be numbered on breaking 30
50 back- did a push off start and my lower calf cramped right away. swam anyway and it tore a bit, hoping it is temporary-35.7
50 breast- this was the event I was most anxious to see, and it went ok, faster than my back, so something wrong there--35.5
50 free- felt like a windmill, long on turn, and actually got arm weary halfway back- 27.3
100IM- knew it was going to be tough, but managed a 1;09.6, so still under 1;10- 33.6 out, 36 for breast/free

I feel positive about all the swims, I have almost 6 weeks to try and become a swimmer again before nationals. I have some speed left, so now time to build endurance in my best events, 200fly/200 Brest/200/400IM's. And this just reinforces that I need to get in an actual lane with some folks at a real practice, this HOA club pool swimming has hit its limit I'm afraid.

I did at least win the sprint pentathlon in my AG, even beat a couple of the younger ones too..

Yeah Monty! This is totally awesome. Nice to see you had times starting with 2 for the free and fly and a sub 1:10 for the 100IM....amazing! Best of luck at Nationals!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: March Fish Thread [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Second week of new training plan.

400wu
6x50 (15s) holding 45s
12x100 (15s) holding 1:38
300cd

Felt good today. Did the 100s at around Tpace (-2s). Its interesting doing the mod-hard 50s before the 100s. Also, I'm more used to doing these with 20s rest, so its a little different with 5s less. Felt good enough on #12 that I pushed the pace up to 1:36 for "fun".
Quote Reply

Prev Next