Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Colorado Springs TT guys: any thoughts on what course Cycling Masters Nats will use? [carlosflanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
carlosflanders wrote:
FYI, Pikes Peak Hill Climb will be held on Saturday Aug 10 during Master Nats (afaik not affiliated to nats)

I saw that and I'm all over it. _IF_ the schedule is the same as last year it would be on my off day between the RR and the crit. If that's the case, I'm in. I think it will be a good opener for the crit. :-)

Based on last year's schedule, 35-39 and 40-44 men and all women's races would conflict with Pikes Peak.

Seriously, it's a fun race and a great climb. Just early as hell. I believe we started at around 7am when it was the national championship those two years.

And don't even think about not bringing a 32 tooth rear cog if you're thinking of doing it. The last 1,000' at 10% is not to be underestimated.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Colorado Springs TT guys: any thoughts on what course Cycling Masters Nats will use? [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nslckevin wrote:
carlosflanders wrote:
FYI, Pikes Peak Hill Climb will be held on Saturday Aug 10 during Master Nats (afaik not affiliated to nats)

I saw that and I'm all over it. _IF_ the schedule is the same as last year it would be on my off day between the RR and the crit. If that's the case, I'm in. I think it will be a good opener for the crit. :-)

Based on last year's schedule, 35-39 and 40-44 men and all women's races would conflict with Pikes Peak.

Seriously, it's a fun race and a great climb. Just early as hell. I believe we started at around 7am when it was the national championship those two years.

And don't even think about not bringing a 32 tooth rear cog if you're thinking of doing it. The last 1,000' at 10% is not to be underestimated.
I climbed Pikes last year and didn't think the last section was too bad. It was the switchbacks right after the 12ish mile point (from the entrance station) that were the worst for me with the 14%+ grades. Personally, it made that last section seems easy in comparison.

I agree on the 11-32 though. My average cadence was around 60 I think, only averaging 6-7mph.
Quote Reply
Re: Colorado Springs TT guys: any thoughts on what course Cycling Masters Nats will use? [caverunner17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
caverunner17 wrote:
nslckevin wrote:
carlosflanders wrote:

I climbed Pikes last year and didn't think the last section was too bad. It was the switchbacks right after the 12ish mile point (from the entrance station) that were the worst for me with the 14%+ grades. Personally, it made that last section seems easy in comparison.

I agree on the 11-32 though. My average cadence was around 60 I think, only averaging 6-7mph.

The race starts at Crystal Creek Resevoir at 9,000'. Is that section you are talking about after the lake? I think it might be. In that case I'd guess it's all about context. For me that last 1,000 feet, besides starting at 13k' is after about an hour at threshold. Perhaps if I just rode the climb at a more moderate pace it would be less noteworthy. I did remember thinking up to that point that "maybe I didn't need the 32 at all today" and then being happy I had it up top. Also, I probably hit the part you are mentioning after just a few miles (if that) while the group was fresh and still being conservative while you had probably been climbing for an hour by then.

I'd like to ride the whole thing from Manitou Springs one day. Seems like cheating to "only" start at 9k'.

Kevin

My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Colorado Springs TT guys: any thoughts on what course Cycling Masters Nats will use? [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nslckevin wrote:
caverunner17 wrote:
nslckevin wrote:
carlosflanders wrote:

The race starts at Crystal Creek Resevoir at 9,000'. Is that section you are talking about after the lake? I think it might be. In that case I'd guess it's all about context. For me that last 1,000 feet, besides starting at 13k' is after about an hour at threshold. Perhaps if I just rode the climb at a more moderate pace it would be less noteworthy. I did remember thinking up to that point that "maybe I didn't need the 32 at all today" and then being happy I had it up top. Also, I probably hit the part you are mentioning after just a few miles (if that) while the group was fresh and still being conservative while you had probably been climbing for an hour by then.

I'd like to ride the whole thing from Manitou Springs one day. Seems like cheating to "only" start at 9k'.

Yeah, the section I'm talking about is maybe 6 miles past the lake. It's right after the guard house where they do the brake check on the way down.
Quote Reply
Re: Colorado Springs TT guys: any thoughts on what course Cycling Masters Nats will use? [TPerry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Routes are posted on USA Cycling. https://www.usacycling.org/...ps/2019-masters-road

Flattish 40k and a hard road course
Quote Reply
Re: Colorado Springs TT guys: any thoughts on what course Cycling Masters Nats will use? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Routes are posted on USA Cycling. https://www.usacycling.org/...ps/2019-masters-road

Not bad. Should be a fast TT if it's not windy I'd guess. The RR looks fairly hard, but it is a ways from the last climb to the finish. Though they could put the finish somewhere else if they wanted.

The crit looks like one for the sprinters with only one real corner and it being near the start.

Either way though it will be fun I think.

THanks for the heads up.

And nice job in the TT at VOS.

Kevin

My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nslckevin wrote:

Speaking of VoS, it looks pretty similar. Non-technical out-and-back power TT (though longer of course) RR with like 12-mile laps with one climb per lap. The climb looks about 70ft "harder" than VoS, but with an average grade of 4%, still looks like an attrition climb more than an outright W/kg selection.
Quote Reply
Re: Colorado Springs TT guys: any thoughts on what course Cycling Masters Nats will use? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:

Thanks for the info!
Quote Reply
Re: Colorado Springs TT guys: any thoughts on what course Cycling Masters Nats will use? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
nslckevin wrote:

Speaking of VoS, it looks pretty similar. Non-technical out-and-back power TT (though longer of course) RR with like 12-mile laps with one climb per lap. The climb looks about 70ft "harder" than VoS, but with an average grade of 4%, still looks like an attrition climb more than an outright W/kg selection.

I don’t quite understand the metrics that they supply on the web page, but I am guessing the max gradient it about 8.5%. The upper 1/2 of the loop is the part that I expected, but I have never done the bottom 1/2. I think it will be a very fair race. It will be hard but not a pure climbers race and I am guessing the distance won’t be too long because you can probably only get a couple of age categories on the circuit at any one time without too much mixing. This kind of limits the damage a guy like Mike Carter can do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the first climb will be about 9-10 mins and the second 3.5-4 mins. Second climb is a lot steeper and shorter and I expect is where separations will occur. Pack will go hard and steady up climb 1 but not attack it. Both climbs get steeper near the top, which makes the efforts a bit more controlled. On the thunderbird RR the steep part was near the bottom so you'd do the second half totally gassed and trying to hang on.

I'd expect the race to break up into small groups that would sprint it out on the slight negative grade finish. Very hard for a solo rider to stay away with so much exposed descent.

Should be a great race. Very tough but not as hard on the flatlanders as other possible courses.

Thanks for posting!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:

1.5% gradient at the steepest? The TT will be a W/CdA sausage (and lady sausage) swinging contest. And for all the rumors of it being a certifiable length for records, it's shy of 40K for now.
Quote Reply
Re: Colorado Springs TT guys: any thoughts on what course Cycling Masters Nats will use? [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T-wrecks wrote:
1.5% gradient at the steepest? The TT will be a W/CdA sausage (and lady sausage) swinging contest. And for all the rumors of it being a certifiable length for records, it's shy of 40K for now.

Ya, I noticed it was slightly short also. It is a bit lumpy, and at least 7 years ago looked like rough chipseal, so maybe not ideal for speed anyway. https://www.google.com/...3D100!7i13312!8i6656

Anybody who lives in the area got a recent report and a profile?
Quote Reply
Re: Colorado Springs TT guys: any thoughts on what course Cycling Masters Nats will use? [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T-wrecks wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:

I think people who want to set records will have to stick with Sattley and Moriarty for now, besides which I'm not aware of any "soft" 40k records currently. Anyway, you'd be at a potential disadvantage complying with UCI bike/position rules for a record attempt, given that they have not enforced those rules for years at masters nats as far as I know (and I don't expect them to start again anytime soon).

Jerseys >> records, in my opinion (and I've had one of each).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can not complain about flat and fast for sure
Kevin , looks like we are back in same age group again
look forward to catching up
Last edited by: drgwood: Mar 1, 19 13:03
Quote Reply
Re: Colorado Springs TT guys: any thoughts on what course Cycling Masters Nats will use? [drgwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drgwood wrote:
I can not complain about flat and fast for sure
Kevin , looks like we are back in same age group again
look forward to catching up

Hopefully for me I'll have a better day than in Ogden where you started behind me, caught me, flatted and then caught me again after your wheel change! Hopefully a lot better. :-)

See you in a few months.

Kevin

My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha ha me too, don’t want to flat for sure
Not sure I will ever have legs that good again.
Quote Reply
Re: Colorado Springs TT guys: any thoughts on what course Cycling Masters Nats will use? [drgwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hopefully it's a really nice rough chipseal!!

I say in jest cuz there is finally a flattish straight TT and I will be in no shape to race this year
Quote Reply
Re: Colorado Springs TT guys: any thoughts on what course Cycling Masters Nats will use? [] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reply to no one in particular:

Is there a baby masters (30-34) category? I know CX Nats is doing that now but can’t find the answer for the TT.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Colorado Springs TT guys: any thoughts on what course Cycling Masters Nats will use? [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:
Reply to no one in particular:

Is there a baby masters (30-34) category? I know CX Nats is doing that now but can’t find the answer for the TT.

They dropped baby master's for road nationals after the 2011 in Bend.

Kevin

My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, but DAMMIT! Now I have to wait to grow up.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Colorado Springs TT guys: any thoughts on what course Cycling Masters Nats will use? [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:
Thanks, but DAMMIT! Now I have to wait to grow up.

You can always do amateur nationals instead. Just sayin'.
Quote Reply
Re: Colorado Springs TT guys: any thoughts on what course Cycling Masters Nats will use? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking about it. Though it’s a 5 hour flight vs 90 minute drive to the Springs.

Maybe I’ll buy a fake mustache, forge an ID, and register in the 35 AG.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Colorado Springs TT guys: any thoughts on what course Cycling Masters Nats will use? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
T-wrecks wrote:

Ya, I noticed it was slightly short also. It is a bit lumpy, and at least 7 years ago looked like rough chipseal, so maybe not ideal for speed anyway. https://www.google.com/...3D100!7i13312!8i6656

Anybody who lives in the area got a recent report and a profile?

Headed to Colorado Springs next Tuesday and might be able to scout the TT and road courses. Google street view show nothing but slightly rolling chipseal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great! Curious what the road looks like these days. Chipseal can change a lot in 7 years.

Some of the rollers are pretty significant, like here: https://www.google.com/...w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
and here: https://www.google.com/...A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
But no real climbs for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Colorado Springs TT guys: any thoughts on what course Cycling Masters Nats will use? [carlosflanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone know of a good place to stay? What day is the TT?
Quote Reply

Prev Next