Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New 51 Speedshop Aerobar! [withrow79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a nice feature for a fast dismount into T2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs2xsMtqR1E

On a more serious note, does ST know why they failed?
Quote Reply
Re: New 51 Speedshop Aerobar! [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
This is a nice feature for a fast dismount into T2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs2xsMtqR1E

On a more serious note, does ST know why they failed?

Looked to me that bolts weren't tight, he hit the bump and they came loose then shit hit fan.
Quote Reply
Re: New 51 Speedshop Aerobar! [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is old news on I think another thread but it seems the team mechanic wasn't aware that as he raised the bar adding spacers/risers, he needed the correct length bolt being a longer one to engage enough thread. Seems they may have raised the bar for correct position and had enough thread to engage the fastener nut/tapping but under shock load there was not enough thread I'm guessing stripping out and the rest you can see. Mechanic error...

P.S. Found it... https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...r_System_P6298425-3/
Last edited by: Shambolic: Nov 1, 18 19:18
Quote Reply
Re: New 51 Speedshop Aerobar! [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good find. Seems like a rookie mistake
Quote Reply
Re: New 51 Speedshop Aerobar! [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:
FindinFreestyle wrote:
.....Higher hands are slower for 80% of triathlon speed riders. Now, as a fitter, higher hands are almost universally more comfortable, but I have scaled back a bit and now try to limit riders to 3-5 degrees of tilt and only if they are significantly more comfortable there than flat.

“Triathlon speed riders”. So would this mean that a 30mph wind tunnel would not be valid for slower riders? As in, “the air flow at 30mph reacts differently than the air flow at 20mph”? Like, “at 30mph, hands high pushes the air around your body but at 20mph, the air reattaches before it gets to your body”?

Yes, lots of questions and assumptions without being a physicist like many people on this forum.

Lower speed ---> lower Reynolds number ----> later boundary layer detachment. Depending on shapes, the difference in the magnitude of the change in location of BL detachment can be greater for one shape than another as you go from 30 mph to 20mph. That difference can be big enough to change which shape is faster at the different speeds but its unusual for that to happen accidentally. But it certainly could and does happen sometimes.

The F1 guys who designed that aero field testing gear were talking about designing the rear splitter on the car to stall at Reynolds numbers associated with fast straight aways to reduce drag, but to reattach after they slow down to take a turn so it would provide the down force. So in that case at higher speed it has a significant reduction in drag but at lower speed it has highly negative lift (which increases drag). Pretty nifty.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
InstagramFacebook
Quote Reply
Re: New 51 Speedshop Aerobar! [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s here! https://51-speedshop.com/...iser-aero-bar-system

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: New 51 Speedshop Aerobar! [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah...got mine a few weeks ago...really nice looking product...so easy to build/adjust. Waiting for a frame that is being painted before I can install...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Umm it’s been “here” for weeks. Losing your touch!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

This is a nice looking bar. Well done Matt! Pricey, but not a lot more than the 3T Brezza II Limited I bought back in 2010 for my bike. Although it looks like this one is just better from the cups on up. The adjustability along beats the 3T dollar for dollar.
Quote Reply
Re: New 51 Speedshop Aerobar! [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Umm https://www.instagram.com/...igshid=1jizpq28jwdt3

I haven’t lost anything

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m too lazy to do the search but they had a (I think) instagram posting probably mid November announcing this. I exchanged a couple emails with them at that time about the bars. Anyways, glad to see these finally came to market!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes they did. That’s when I created the thread. Today was the official launch! Quit being a lazy lawyer and read 😂

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heh heh, why? You did it for me! ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know if the DI2 box can be hidden in the bar?
Quote Reply
Re: New 51 Speedshop Aerobar! [Triben32] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think so, based on this assembly page:
https://51-speedshop.com/...-system-instructions

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: New 51 Speedshop Aerobar! [Mat Steinmetz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Matt,

The cups being sold separately on the website appear to be different than the ones being sold with the aerobars (4 v. 3 “columns” of holes). Is there a reason?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you had contacted them and asked to be put on their notification list...you got a bonus...

They emailed mid-November that they were doing a pre-launch sale for everyone on th3 list...I had mine delivered before thanksgiving.

The cups are different than their generic cups...and I believe the reason is that their separate cups ar3 designed to fit un multiple brand of bar mounts...

It was a long wait from the first image I saw of these when he did them for the 2017 Tour de France...but I think they are worth the wait. All the pieces that matter to me seem very well designed and constructed...I can’t wait to get them on my bike when I get it back from the painter.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by PennBen [ In reply to ]
Re: New 51 Speedshop Aerobar! [PennBen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PennBen wrote:
Do you think anyone will mention how Steinmetz screwed over Ripley with product design and connections in the carbon industry?

?

Quote Reply
Re: New 51 Speedshop Aerobar! [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know if there is a magic tilt degree number / higher hands? I am maxed at my tilt on a speed concept and was looking for more tilt / higher hands simply to make it easier to hold my head lower. In the velodrome testing I did the higher my hands went the more my CDA dropped, but now this thread is saying that could just be all that the yaw angle is so low at the velodrome.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: New 51 Speedshop Aerobar! [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toothengineer wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a magic tilt degree number / higher hands? I am maxed at my tilt on a speed concept and was looking for more tilt / higher hands simply to make it easier to hold my head lower. In the velodrome testing I did the higher my hands went the more my CDA dropped, but now this thread is saying that could just be all that the yaw angle is so low at the velodrome.

I started this thread to see if I could get some discussion going on this exact topic. However, the main individual (desertdude) that suggests high hands isn't all that it's cracked up to be for ~85% of folks didn't respond. I think if all you do is raise your hands it's much less likely to help, but as you are doing it in an effort to improve your position (e.g. head drop, shoulder width, etc.) then I think it's a benefit.

I plan to test changing just hand position in the tunnel this spring to see what it changes in regards to my position and drag.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Re: New 51 Speedshop Aerobar! [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They actually did tell me that around 8 degrees tested best most often...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
PennBen wrote:
Do you think anyone will mention how Steinmetz screwed over Ripley with product design and connections in the carbon industry?

?

Looks like Mr. PennBen made his drive by character assassination and then deleted it. As if we should take anyone seriously that can't even spell the name of the supposedly aggrieved company correctly.
Quote Reply
Re: New 51 Speedshop Aerobar! [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LAI wrote:
Toothengineer wrote:

I started this thread to see if I could get some discussion going on this exact topic. However, the main individual (desertdude) that suggests high hands isn't all that it's cracked up to be for ~85% of folks didn't respond. I think if all you do is raise your hands it's much less likely to help, but as you are doing it in an effort to improve your position (e.g. head drop, shoulder width, etc.) then I think it's a benefit.

I plan to test changing just hand position in the tunnel this spring to see what it changes in regards to my position and drag.

Its a really great question and I think its a really hard one to answer. You would have to test at diff yaw angles then each race would need to adj based on wind that day. But I do think if getting your hands higher allows you to hold your head tucked in better that must help reduce drag.

For me specifically I cant tuck my head in near as well with a flat bar. I have had limiting factor of the Trek Tilt but with the 51ss extensions I should be able to get them just a touch higher which I was hoping might make the head position even more comfortable.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: New 51 Speedshop Aerobar! [Triben32] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Does anyone know if the DI2 box can be hidden in the bar?

It can NOT be hidden in the stem. We considered making this a design input, but decided not to as we would have needed to make the stem longer and potentially compromise the structural integrity of the bar/stem. So, we decided to allow for the junction or blip box to be mounted just behind the mono-spacer. The other option is to run the wires out the back of the stem and into a bento box.

Mat Steinmetz

51-SPEEDSHOP.com - instagram - @matsteinmetz - facebook
Quote Reply

Prev Next