Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ultraman 2018 [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
Good luck Rob! Miro and Gary W. back again - those guys are like Energizer Bunnies.

For the women - I'd go with Tara Norton.

Gary is a legend. Last year I walked into Kona Bike works with my two bikes, ready for inspection, and he's walking around the store choosing which bike he's going to RENT for the race!

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Ultraman 2018 [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Oh, and just be thankful that Ms. Wellington is not showing up for a tourist day on the Island like she did the first time in 2007 in October!!!!

I'm also quite happy that Ryf seems to not be bored with winning all these other races all the time... I think she could probably outbike all of us, based on her Kona bike performance this year...

Well at least she outbiked Javier Gomez from Hawi back...she's got the Hawi to Kona leg nailed so if she got really bored and wanted to outrun all the men at ultraman on the same leg and just do a week of running in a day as part of a Sutton approved training block, well there might be a battle between her and Chrissie, but it sounds like you guys are all safe from having to deal with being second fiddle in that battle. See Rob, it's easier to battle with guys because unlike women, you can actually dupe with them letting their male egos and testosterone (or what is left after Ultraman training) get in the way of rational pacing. Men have to use some semblance of either brain power or google cloud optimized neural network to totally control their bodies to get the most out of their engines. Those women pros, they don't have testosterone in the way, and nor do they need to get into any highly optimized intellectual calculation....they have it nailed like a Boeing 787 dreamliner flying San Francisco to Hong Kong on a steady and even fuel efficient keel. Almost impossible to beat that.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Re: Ultraman 2018 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
See Rob, it's easier to battle with guys because unlike women, you can actually dupe with them letting their male egos and testosterone (or what is left after Ultraman training) get in the way of rational pacing.

There is actually a strong kernel of truth here!

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Ultraman 2018 [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anna s wrote:
Thanks for posting this preview Rob. Good luck! Can't wait to follow the race again this year.

Thanks Anna - hopefully we can do a lot more FB live kind of stuff on day 1/2 this year since we'll actually have internet connection in Kona (unlike Volcano where there was not much at all)

Quote Reply
Re: Ultraman 2018 [jeremyebrock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeremyebrock wrote:
Good luck Rob, you’ve got my vote!

Thanks Jeremy!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
jeremyebrock wrote:
Good luck Rob, you’ve got my vote!

Thanks Jeremy!

What's all this talk about voting like it's a mid term election and Rob Gray is going for Senator for the big Island? But hey, if Arnold can be a body building movie star from Austria and take over California, certainly a tech geek from South Africa, via London, Silicon Valley and Boulder can run to take over the state of Hawaii? Or are you guys voting for Petr Vanbrousek, who comes from next door to Austria from where Arnold hails and comes to the big island after pretty well doing every Ironman on the planet each 10x.

I was going to vote for the first woman Senator of Ultraman, but Chrissie Wellington is slacking off....so I am stuck with voting for the South African Google Guy who rides bikes without seat posts.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Nov 15, 18 15:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Friday morning in Kona! It's on....three days of stage racing on the Island....Rob vs Petr Vanbrousek (among many more).
Quote Reply
Re: Ultraman 2018 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wetsuits?
also is there a starter list?

Lar Dog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any updates?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Ultraman 2018 [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like Rob is first out of the water in 2:44:04. Richard Thompson in second in 2:47:47 and Mary Knott (1st female) in 2:56:03

https://www.facebook.com/.../?type=3&theater

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Ultraman 2018 [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Looks like Rob is first out of the water in 2:44:04. Richard Thompson in second in 2:47:47 and Mary Knott (1st female) in 2:56:03

https://www.facebook.com/.../?type=3&theater

What kind of a tourist time is this for Rob? He's probably lost his built in bioprene layer on the Macca cabbage and water diet and is less "floaty". Hopefully he has enough fat on his to get through the next 2 days!!!

Go Rob.

dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Day 1 finishers so far...

Richard Thompson: 6:52:51
Rob Gray: 6:59:36
Petr Vabrousek: 7:30:42
David Hainish: 7:49:48
Gary Kelly: 8:00:33
Trout Wayth: 8:01:41

Richard and Rob were together at the bike turnaround - Richard must have really put the hammer down to put almost 7min into Rob on the net downhill back to town.

No women across the line yet but Tara Norton was pulling away from the field as expected last I saw.

Are YOU in the Zone?
http://www.discomfortzone.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Update on Women's Race

Tara Norton takes Day 1 in 8:16:51. Mary Knott keeps her deficit to Tara to under 15min with an 8:31:48. They are both in the top 10 overall as well.

Are YOU in the Zone?
http://www.discomfortzone.com
Last edited by: mcoughlin: Nov 23, 18 17:16
Quote Reply
Re: Ultraman 2018 [mcoughlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcoughlin wrote:

Richard and Rob were together at the bike turnaround - Richard must have really put the hammer down to put almost 7min into Rob on the net downhill back to town.

No women across the line yet but Tara Norton was pulling away from the field as expected last I saw.

See this is what happens when you go on the Macca diet. You lose all fat and get droppe downhills. I suggest Rob go on the ice cream and oreos program tonite!
Quote Reply
Re: Ultraman 2018 [mcoughlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcoughlin wrote:

it was a tough swim today, on any other year my effort would have got me sub 2:30.
Richard was actually quite far ahead of me in the swim and then had some type of problem and I overtook him. We had a massive current at the end, I was swimming all out and was going nowhere! Richard rode really hard to catch me, we rode together for a while but then I let him go because I felt the effort we were riding was going to affect my day 2 if I carried on with that. He put in a massive surge, honestly I'm surprised the gap at the end was only 7 mins. With the way he was riding I was expecting closer to 15. We find out tomorrow if he burned too many matches today! But he's looking really good on the bike.

Tomorrow is going to be a long day. By my predictions I don't think I'm going to ride much faster than 8:30... that's a long time to be on a bike!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Roboultra on instagram has lots of video of yesterday if you go to the "stories" part. Looked like decent conditions and a lot of fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
mcoughlin wrote:

it was a tough swim today, on any other year my effort would have got me sub 2:30.
Richard was actually quite far ahead of me in the swim and then had some type of problem and I overtook him. We had a massive current at the end, I was swimming all out and was going nowhere! Richard rode really hard to catch me, we rode together for a while but then I let him go because I felt the effort we were riding was going to affect my day 2 if I carried on with that. He put in a massive surge, honestly I'm surprised the gap at the end was only 7 mins. With the way he was riding I was expecting closer to 15. We find out tomorrow if he burned too many matches today! But he's looking really good on the bike.

Tomorrow is going to be a long day. By my predictions I don't think I'm going to ride much faster than 8:30... that's a long time to be on a bike!

Yeah yeah....but you know what happened to Crowie when he thought Macca was burning too many matches! Hammer then all into the ground at all times like Cam Wurf LOL!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anna s wrote:
Thanks for the updates! Both Tara and Mary were super strong on day1. Two women in the top 10 is brilliant! Excited to see what Tara can do on the bike today and I hope Mary can keep the deficit to a minimum. Go ladies!

Yeah, it looks like Tara had a really solid day!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rob, you better watch out for that Vanbrousek guy. He seems to have swam like a wet noodle (for a former pro), but kind of matched your pace on the bike on day 1. I assume he gets stronger and stronger over day 2 and day 3!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GO MARY KNOTT GOOOOOOOOO

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So what happened on the bike today? Even with the time change from CA here, they should be done, no???

Saw a bunch of facebook small clips of the ride today earlier, looks like some close riding by some of the folks..Do they use the pro rules or AG ones for spacing??
Quote Reply
Re: Ultraman 2018 [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like Vanbrousek was 2nd and Rob 3rd today

Richard Thompson 8:20
Vanbrouske 8:28
Rob Gray 8:34

Great job Rob!
Quote Reply

Prev Next