Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ultraman 2018
Quote | Reply
We are just 2 weeks away from the 2018 Ultraman World Champs... this is going to be an interesting year!

The course has changed due to the lava flows earlier this year:
- Day 1 is an out and back from Kona to Ocean View and back, should be about 30-40 mins faster
- Day 2 is totally new, Kona to Waikoloa then up over Saddle Rd, topping out at 6700ft before descending to Hilo. Up the coast, over to Waimea and then back down to the Queen K before climbing to Hawi. 13k+ ft elevation over 171 miles, probably at least 30-40 mins slower than before.
- Day 3 is the same

The level of competition is very high this year!
- I'm in better shape than ever, but so are the other guys!
- Richard Thompson won UM Australia and set the world record when he did so. As an athlete I feel he's potentially faster than me across all 3 disciplines. The question is whether or not I can "out-optimize" him. Most people know that I pay a lot of attention to my gear, and this year is no exception. Most of my gear (other than the actual bike) is different to last year. Over the distance of the two bike legs, that optimization can add up to many minutes.
- Petr Vabrousek needs no introduction to the endurance world. Winner UM Florida 2018, 180+ professional Ironmans? Many pro Kona races. Winner of crazy races like the Antarctica marathon. There is no doubt that he has as strong a mindset as anyone in the endurance community. And mindset is one of the most important factors in this race.
- David Hainish: Winner UM Florida 2017 with new bike course record. He spent last year focused on breaking the Canadian hour record on the track.
- Possibly some others that I don't yet know much about?
- There are 8 women taking part this year. That's more than some previous years, but I'd really like to see more women doing Ultraman, in general they do really well at these long races.

So my strategy of out-biking people, to start day 3 with a big lead is probably not going to work this year. Also, the fact that I'm the only one with previous course experience doesn't matter, since the course is mostly new. It's highly likely that we get to day 3 and I'm not starting in first place. That's going to make the run exciting and decisive. I'm looking forward to seeing how it all pans out!

They will post FB updates that will be pulled through on ultramanworlds.com. My crew will be doing a bunch of Facebook live stuff on my Ultraman FB page, hopefully making it easier for you to follow what's going on at the front of the race. If there is anything you'd like to see behind the scenes (before, during, after) let me know and we'll try to make it happen!

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Ultraman 2018 [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck Rob.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great rundown Rob. I agree with everything you have said, although I'd say Day 2 is more like 40-60min slower, perhaps even more for the back of the pack. In fact, I'll go on record and say that 20-40% of the field will miss the day 2 cutoff, especially if there is a headwind up the Hamakua Coast (which there hasn't been for the past few years, but it does happen).

In terms of competition, I don't see anyone contending other than the 3 you have identified. I know David personally and he lives just a 30min drive from me, so he is a sentimental favourite, but you are right that Richard is the #1 guy to mark. I can tell you that both of them are gunning for this race with 100% focus. I'm not as sure about Petr as I have no idea how he is approaching this race. Regardless, you are the only contender this year who has done this race before (nevermind the fact that you are the defending champion), and that is a significant advantage.

Good luck and safe racing to all - I'm excited to watch the race unfold!

Are YOU in the Zone?
http://www.discomfortzone.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck brother. Will be following the race and e-cheering you on

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Ultraman 2018 [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kona didn't have Jan.

Ultra won't have Dave M.

How tragic.

How tragic indeed.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Ultraman 2018 [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought Dave M was racing?

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
great analysis and good luck Rob!!!

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Ultraman 2018 [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whhoa, if he is - my mistake! Exciting times ahead!

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:
Whhoa, if he is - my mistake! Exciting times ahead!

I thought I heard that, but not on the start list. I think I’m mistaken on this one.

Cheers,
Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Ultraman 2018 [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One Canadian bumps into another Canadian. Both apologize. Are you guilty?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be eagerly following and will be pulling for you.

Have a great race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the heads, up, I always enjoy watching this race unfold each thanksgiving.

And for those that are not putting Petr in your top pick, I think that is a mistake. This guy does like a dozen ironman a year in the pro divisions, and usually is sub 9 on neutral courses, and top 10 or better..He is long in the tooth, but I don't think there has been anyone ever in our sport that had such recuperative powers. He is a diesel engine that just goes and goes, like that Japanese marathon runner that runs one a month at least, and actually won Boston last year when it was super tough..

If he is in his normal shape, I would pick him, no offense to the standard bearers of the Ultraman podiums..Have a great race out there, there is a fan base around the world that follows, so keep the updates coming...
Quote Reply
Re: Ultraman 2018 [mcoughlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good points Mike, now that I think about it, experience of that run course is actually pretty valuable (especially if you've had a bad experience like I did in 2016!)

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Ultraman 2018 [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, I think Petr is very consistent and unlikely to make a mistake. I also don't know anyone in the world with more race experience, which I think counts for a lot. My hunch is that some people will outswim him, but I think he has the head to keep cool and not blow himself up trying to catch up. It's highly motivating for me to be racing guys like this.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:
Kona didn't have Jan.

Ultra won't have Dave M.

How tragic.

How tragic indeed.

Luckily Patrick still turned up for Kona

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck Rob, you’ve got my vote!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
We are just 2 weeks away from the 2018 Ultraman World Champs... this is going to be an interesting year!

The course has changed due to the lava flows earlier this year:
- Day 1 is an out and back from Kona to Ocean View and back, should be about 30-40 mins faster
- Day 2 is totally new, Kona to Waikoloa then up over Saddle Rd, topping out at 6700ft before descending to Hilo. Up the coast, over to Waimea and then back down to the Queen K before climbing to Hawi. 13k+ ft elevation over 171 miles, probably at least 30-40 mins slower than before.
- Day 3 is the same

The level of competition is very high this year!
- I'm in better shape than ever, but so are the other guys!
- Richard Thompson won UM Australia and set the world record when he did so. As an athlete I feel he's potentially faster than me across all 3 disciplines. The question is whether or not I can "out-optimize" him. Most people know that I pay a lot of attention to my gear, and this year is no exception. Most of my gear (other than the actual bike) is different to last year. Over the distance of the two bike legs, that optimization can add up to many minutes.
- Petr Vabrousek needs no introduction to the endurance world. Winner UM Florida 2018, 180+ professional Ironmans? Many pro Kona races. Winner of crazy races like the Antarctica marathon. There is no doubt that he has as strong a mindset as anyone in the endurance community. And mindset is one of the most important factors in this race.
- David Hainish: Winner UM Florida 2017 with new bike course record. He spent last year focused on breaking the Canadian hour record on the track.
- Possibly some others that I don't yet know much about?
- There are 8 women taking part this year. That's more than some previous years, but I'd really like to see more women doing Ultraman, in general they do really well at these long races.

So my strategy of out-biking people, to start day 3 with a big lead is probably not going to work this year. Also, the fact that I'm the only one with previous course experience doesn't matter, since the course is mostly new. It's highly likely that we get to day 3 and I'm not starting in first place. That's going to make the run exciting and decisive. I'm looking forward to seeing how it all pans out!

They will post FB updates that will be pulled through on ultramanworlds.com. My crew will be doing a bunch of Facebook live stuff on my Ultraman FB page, hopefully making it easier for you to follow what's going on at the front of the race. If there is anything you'd like to see behind the scenes (before, during, after) let me know and we'll try to make it happen!

Blah blah blah on the gear optimization....I just want to know if you have fat load optimized so that you can win all the downhill time trial legs on day 1 and day 2 and all the way down to Kawaihai on day 3. After that being fat and just burning into that infinite tank and you can take VanBrousek!!!!

GO ROB!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, and just be thankful that Ms. Wellington is not showing up for a tourist day on the Island like she did the first time in 2007 in October!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't wait to see things unfold.
See you in a week!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pulling for ya

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The course may be slightly different, but you still have a ton of experience with being on the island doing this stuff. That's a huge advantage. The course being different might actually make it more interesting, giving you some pep in your step. And if the run hasn't changed, that's very important because day 3 is where you put it all together. Good luck!

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck Rob! Miro and Gary W. back again - those guys are like Energizer Bunnies.

For the women - I'd go with Tara Norton.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
I agree, I think Petr is very consistent and unlikely to make a mistake. I also don't know anyone in the world with more race experience, which I think counts for a lot. My hunch is that some people will outswim him, but I think he has the head to keep cool and not blow himself up trying to catch up. It's highly motivating for me to be racing guys like this.

"Just because they're the strong doesn't mean they can't get their asses kicked...!" *Nike Inspirational Ad 2010*

Now go crush it.
Quote Reply
Re: Ultraman 2018 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Oh, and just be thankful that Ms. Wellington is not showing up for a tourist day on the Island like she did the first time in 2007 in October!!!!

I'm also quite happy that Ryf seems to not be bored with winning all these other races all the time... I think she could probably outbike all of us, based on her Kona bike performance this year...

Quote Reply
Re: Ultraman 2018 [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
robgray wrote:

"Just because they're the strong doesn't mean they can't get their asses kicked...!" *Nike Inspirational Ad 2010*

Now go crush it.

haha awesome quote!

Quote Reply

Prev Next