Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New 51 Speedshop Aerobar! [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One thing to consider is that part of that fit restriction is on reach. It's pretty severe IMO if the rider is over 6'. I'm 6' and with level forearms I want a lot more reach than the UCI regs give me.
Quote Reply
Re: New 51 Speedshop Aerobar! [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understand that but why aren't more of the top Ironmen going up? I thought it may be due to generating power as it took me a while to find a good power producing position as I seemed to lose that locked front end to you core as the arms raised. If you look at the front page article Skipper has the highest hands and Lange about next. Sebi and Frodo still quite flat. Ryf was flat being a power rider and Charles raised being a less power rider. I'm figuring power production is becoming the major factor over the longer distance?
Last edited by: Shambolic: Oct 19, 18 15:23
Quote Reply
Re: New 51 Speedshop Aerobar! [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seems like half the battle is being born lucky. I have a long torso and would *never* fit on a UCI legal bike

rruff wrote:
One thing to consider is that part of that fit restriction is on reach. It's pretty severe IMO if the rider is over 6'. I'm 6' and with level forearms I want a lot more reach than the UCI regs give me.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
I'm figuring power production is becoming the major factor over the longer distance?

Power? What has that got to do with forearm angle?
Quote Reply
Re: New 51 Speedshop Aerobar! [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IKnowEverything wrote:
On the high hands issue - I know that higher hands might be slower, but besides comfort, isn’t it also easier to faciliate a “shrug” with the hands/arms angled slightly up? My thought - based on fit changes and speed increases this year - is that if you’re getting your head significantly lower than you’re probably more than offsetting the increases drag from higher hand position.

Hand height / forearm angle is definitely worthy of experimentation on an individual basis. Balancing low yaw and high yaw aerodynamics. Comfort. Ease of shrug and height of head. It all plays in. I am a 'slightly up as a starting point' place with my fits. Most riders like that for comfort and it often helps with the shrug and lowering the head. But, if they can shrug and lower the head with flat forearms, maybe we defer to that. For sub 30mph riders, I am keeping the forearms as flat as possible while remaining reasonably comfortable and reasonable shrugged. If 2 degrees of tilt drops the head an inch, I'm probably keeping the tilt.

It's great we have so much testing and data coming in these days. It makes it more and more possible for a competent fitter to take a rider to 95% of optimized, while developing a good understanding of the hierarchy of questions to ask during formal testing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As I raised my arms I found it harder to lock the front end together hands/elbows/shoulders to the core and generate power. That is why cyclists in the past or even triathletes seem to have lower below their elbows. Look back to Ullrich or Cadel Evans. Pure power was the main focus.

http://www.zimbio.com/photos/Jan+Ullrich/2005+Tour+de+France+Stage+Twenty+Time+Trial/hhaefBlZ0DC

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/icons-cycling-jan-ullrichs-bianchi-walser-time-trial-bike-304518

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/2012-tour-de-france-gets-longer-time-trials/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
As I raised my arms I found it harder to lock the front end together hands/elbows/shoulders to the core and generate power. That is why cyclists in the past or even triathletes seem to have lower below their elbows. Look back to Ullrich or Cadel Evans. Pure power was the main focus.

My core is pretty relaxed in a TT, and I can't imagine what I'd gain by tensing muscles that aren't needed to make the pedals go around. And the tilt of my forearms has zero to do with that anyway!

I feel more stable (and relaxed) with hands tilted up. Otherwise I need a good grip on the bars to keep from sliding forward. Which gets back to unnecessary muscle tension...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am sure everyone is different and why I am asking the 'experts' the question why the pros still seem to run flat bars and only my assumptions and findings. I find I am not overly tensed but I need to feel everything is locked from my hands to my hips for pedalling efficiency. My last IM I had tilted the bars up for the first time but found with fatigue my power dropped as I had lost that sensation and you are relying on core muscles only not a locked foundation. It took some playing around to feel I had everything locked together again and the hands raised. Now it feels more effortless to maintain what seems my standard race power.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know what exactly you mean by a "locked sensation" but I suspect it can be achieved by other positional refinements.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
I don't know what exactly you mean by a "locked sensation" but I suspect it can be achieved by other positional refinements.
I'm not here to argue I just want to know why more pros don't have elevated hands and you're not helping. If it is supposed more aero then why aren't all pros riding with more angled forearms. But yes I found by relation of elbow pad angles to hand hand/bar angles how to achieve that sensation. Much the way Geraint Thomas and Sky manufacture their bars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
rruff wrote:

I'm not here to argue I just want to know why more pros don't have elevated hands and you're not helping. If it is supposed more aero then why aren't all pros riding with more angled forearms. But yes I found by relation of elbow pad angles to hand hand/bar angles how to achieve that sensation. Much the way Geraint Thomas and Sky manufacture their bars.

Previously it was supposed to be more aero. Then it got tested a lot and we found out that was usually wrong. Unless you go 32mph or ride with really low yaw all the time. Then it was usually right.
Quote Reply
Re: New 51 Speedshop Aerobar! [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your input. Have you looked at power generation in relation to your aero testing with tilted forearms much like opening or closing hip angles and the optimisation for a best overall fit? I'm guessing everything becomes a trade off aero, power, zero yaw, higher yaw...
Quote Reply
Re: New 51 Speedshop Aerobar! [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FindinFreestyle wrote:

Previously it was supposed to be more aero. Then it got tested a lot and we found out that was usually wrong. Unless you go 32mph or ride with really low yaw all the time. Then it was usually right.

Thanks for this. Guess it’s time to update my thinking around this (and get to an Aerocamp.)
Quote Reply
Re: New 51 Speedshop Aerobar! [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Adaptive Human Performance (AHP) in Australia sells 51 Speedshop cup and wedge package:

https://www.adaptivehp.com/products/cups

51 also just posted a release date for their arm cups:

https://51-speedshop.com/pages/51-arm-cups
Quote Reply
Re: New 51 Speedshop Aerobar! [geetee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
geetee wrote:

Finally! No price though :/

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: New 51 Speedshop Aerobar! [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my wife purchased these and the only issue is the white hash marks for length are not printed correct, as one extension was different than the other extension i.e. if you used the "same" hash mark, they were off considerably... Wasn't hard to use a tape measure, however for the amount of $$ you would think this would have been figured out...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
geetee wrote:

I'm way more interested in if/when the Mono-Riser Aerobar system will be available for purchase and how much they will weigh.

Does anyone know anybody that actually works there? Would be great if you could convince them to engage the ST audience and answer questions... Most likely many of the early adopters of their products are already here on these forums and future customers will find these threads through google searches, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: New 51 Speedshop Aerobar! [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any idea what the max pad reach (to center of pad) and minimum stack (as TriRig defines it) is?

Quote Reply
Re: New 51 Speedshop Aerobar! [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
seems like half the battle is being born lucky. I have a long torso and would *never* fit on a UCI legal bike

rruff wrote:

And I'm 6'4" and could get halfway to superman within UCI regs. I do take an exemption at the bars, but don't use all that much of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
geetee wrote:

Wasn't the pre-order set for today? I went in ready to order and noticed it was pushed back to the 25th.
Quote Reply
Re: New 51 Speedshop Aerobar! [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TulkasTri wrote:
Wasn't the pre-order set for today? I went in ready to order and noticed it was pushed back to the 25th.

Yup

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Yes, sorry...I'm traveling and needed a few extra days to get the page setup.

Mat Steinmetz

51-SPEEDSHOP.com - instagram - @matsteinmetz - facebook
Quote Reply
Re: New 51 Speedshop Aerobar! [Mat Steinmetz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mat Steinmetz wrote:
Quote:

Yes, sorry...I'm traveling and needed a few extra days to get the page setup.

Thanks for the update. I'm traveling on the 25th, hopefully there's plenty to order in case I have trouble reaching the website from the airport.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arm Cups look like they are available for pre-order. $80. Ship mid November
Quote Reply
Re: New 51 Speedshop Aerobar! [DashLash] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Similar price to TriRigs ergo cups but above the Zipp Vuka and some good PD cups. Decisions, decisions...

Matt
Quote Reply

Prev Next