chrissie1993 wrote:
So the cliffs are:

- he´s (finally) getting a coach who is watching him daily
- needs to become fr22ont pack swimmer
- might move to find a training group
- will share the entire process

Am I missing any big point here?

And he is truly DEVASTATED

To the bolded part... he’s never going to be a FOP swimmer. He’s about 20 years late for that party. He needs to focus on swimming to the best that Lionel can be, which is nowhere near FOP at somewhere like Kona, and not concern himself with being the best swimmer. Fixating on being a FOP swimmer is unproductive.

He has an amazing bike/run combo but it’s not like he’s going to ride and run away from the likes of Brownlee or Frodeno. They’re every bit his equal on land but far better swimmers. He needs to learn race tactics. That’s by far the most important thing. He really needs to study how Kienle has been so successful. Tim O’Donnell would be a perfect race partner for Lionel except Tim is going to be 5 minutes ahead of him out of T1. Lionel needs to train and choose races more wisely, and probably needs to reevaluate bike choice and fit. I’m not sure the LG is the best bike for him.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [ScottC-M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ScottC-M wrote:
chrissie1993 wrote:
So the cliffs are:

- needs to become front pack swimmer

Get proper bike fitments done and do wind tunnel testing.

All in All very mature of him. A lot of what he said and realised comes from his recovery as an addict. So i think he has finally realised how to move forwards and is prepared to do so. Wish him the best and cant wait to see what he is capable of next season.

I thought he was on the verge of saying he might need to change bikes, then backed off. Maybe I got that wrong, was watching the video during a sweet spot trainer ride, so I wasn't quite 100% focused.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EnderWiggan wrote:
Kienle: "Lionel came from behind, at this moment I was gutted and ready to drop out, Lionel kept me in the race and said it's not over yet, and he did all the work on the front, I was mentally devastated, he basically just pulled me to the main group.."

Class act. Thanks for posting this Teetopkram. It's nice to hear good stories rather than all the useless shitty commentary on this forum from the cheap seats. It helps to use the "hide user posts" function.

teetopkram wrote:
Check out Kienle's post race interview, about 4:35 in, when he describes Lionel's words and actions having caught him on the bike. Based on this description, Lionel sounds like a pretty good guy to me when he himself is not in a great spot. Classy response by Kienle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_36F2tvvjQ

THIS

AV8 | Team Wattie Ink Elite 2019
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
chrissie1993 wrote:
So the cliffs are:

- needs to become fr22ont pack swimmer

To the bolded part... he’s never going to be a FOP swimmer. He’s about 20 years late for that party. He needs to focus on swimming to the best that Lionel can be, which is nowhere near FOP at somewhere like Kona, and not concern himself with being the best swimmer. Fixating on being a FOP swimmer is unproductive.

He has an amazing bike/run combo but it’s not like he’s going to ride and run away from the likes of Brownlee or Frodeno. They’re every bit his equal on land but far better swimmers. He needs to learn race tactics. That’s by far the most important thing. He really needs to study how Kienle has been so successful. Tim O’Donnell would be a perfect race partner for Lionel except Tim is going to be 5 minutes ahead of him out of T1. Lionel needs to train and choose races more wisely, and probably needs to reevaluate bike choice and fit. I’m not sure the LG is the best bike for him.

First chase pack of contenders not the very first pack. He mentioned names such as Patrick and Cameron where does were 3 minutes back for the FOP. That's feasible to get into the low 50's even if you don't have the 20+ years of swimming background... pace it's around 1:17-18/100m. We aren't speaking of the guys able to swim at a pace of 1:07-1:10 in the likes of Gomez, Frodeno or Amberger.

That type of deficit will give him a better chance of fighting for top place with the current unfolding of these championship races WC 70.3 and WC IM.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would disagree in regards to one thing.....Sebi K showed up in Kona and swam within 3 mins of 1st swimmer. 3ish mins ahead of LS. If LS comes out of the water 3 mins back out of T1, he's now suddenly likely going to be able to ride through the Lange group with other uber bikers.

And we can say the swim doesnt matter and point to this years 2nd place or LS's 2nd place last year but it does.....if we are talking winning. Lange was never in trouble with coming out of T2 w Bart Aernouts. Like you can't be an ok runner and come into T2 with Lange if you want to win. Podium/top 5 sure because there will be ones to fall off trying to run well, that happens every year.

But you cant beat Lange coming out of the water in the 54 swim time group. You just can't UNLESS it's one of the worst weather/wind days in the history of the sport. But if that's your only saving grace, your in trouble.

So if Sebi who LS has towed to the finish at Kona what the previous 2 years can improve his swim, LS has the ability to. Again, I'm not even suggesting front pack swim ability. I'm suggesting swimming with a guy for 2-3 years in the sport he's swam with in every year until this years Kona.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply

Prev Next