Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [davews09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davews09 wrote:
You guys pumped this up all year like Sanders has a prayer. Well, he was a complete non factor. Not even in the hunt. Goes home devastated.

I can hear the excuses now

ā€œThis was not the race I had in me. I proved that in my training races.ā€
ā€œThe Germans were drafting.ā€
ā€œMy nutrition...ā€

How did you perform in Kona this year?

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [teetopkram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kienle: "Lionel came from behind, at this moment I was gutted and ready to drop out, Lionel kept me in the race and said it's not over yet, and he did all the work on the front, I was mentally devastated, he basically just pulled me to the main group.."

Class act. Thanks for posting this Teetopkram. It's nice to hear good stories rather than all the useless shitty commentary on this forum from the cheap seats. It helps to use the "hide user posts" function.

teetopkram wrote:
Check out Kienle's post race interview, about 4:35 in, when he describes Lionel's words and actions having caught him on the bike. Based on this description, Lionel sounds like a pretty good guy to me when he himself is not in a great spot. Classy response by Kienle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_36F2tvvjQ
Last edited by: EnderWiggan: Oct 15, 18 13:31
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm new here and I already get the feeling I will be using the hide user function quite a bit...
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
I'm new here and I already get the feeling I will be using the hide user function quite a bit...

Lol unreal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davews09 wrote:
dcohen24 wrote:
lionel is part of the most interesting race right now...
Can he get home infront of Ryf? Can ryf actually catch him on the road?

Im not sure its a done deal that he gets across the line in less time than ryf.

So sad. 26th in the menā€™s race and he canā€™t even manage to win the womenā€™s race. The most overrated athlete in triathlon shows how mediocre he really is

There's something seriously wrong with a person that enjoys other peoples' misfortunes. Particularly when they have no direct relationship with that person. Best of luck with your sociopathy.
And "the most overrated athlete in triathlon"....what is that statement based upon?

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EnderWiggan wrote:
Kienle: "Lionel came from behind, at this moment I was gutted and ready to drop out, Lionel kept me in the race and said it's not over yet, and he did all the work on the front, I was mentally devastated, he basically just pulled me to the main group.."

Class act. Thanks for posting this Teetopkram. It's nice to hear good stories rather than all the useless shitty commentary on this forum from the cheap seats. It helps to use the "hide user posts" function.

teetopkram wrote:
Check out Kienle's post race interview, about 4:35 in, when he describes Lionel's words and actions having caught him on the bike. Based on this description, Lionel sounds like a pretty good guy to me when he himself is not in a great spot. Classy response by Kienle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_36F2tvvjQ

I thought the same, in the end, both guys were in a bad spot, easy to say, eff it Iā€™m done. True champion to try to lift another up, clearly it impacted Seb enough to mention it in his interview. Classy on both sides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At the end of a long, disappointing (for him) day, I watched Lionel Sanders run down Alii drive towards the finish line, thanking spectators and volunteers and giving people on the side of the road high-fives. Not many people got to see it, and I'm sure it didn't make the broadcast, but I will remember it for a long time. It really impressed upon me what a class act Lionel is. He finished the race when he had no real incentive to do so, and he did it in a way that respected the course and the people who were there to watch the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:
At the end of a long, disappointing (for him) day, I watched Lionel Sanders run down Alii drive towards the finish line, thanking spectators and volunteers and giving people on the side of the road high-fives. Not many people got to see it, and I'm sure it didn't make the broadcast, but I will remember it for a long time. It really impressed upon me what a class act Lionel is. He finished the race when he had no real incentive to do so, and he did it in a way that respected the course and the people who were there to watch the race.

He speaks to that in his Tremblant video.....about respecting the race. Thanks for sharing, and no, it wasnā€™t in the coverage.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:

We almost saw it. I kept looking for Sanders as Ryf was running down the stretch, thinking she might catch him. She didnā€™t quite get close enough for Lionel to be in the picture.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davews09 wrote:
So sad. 26th in the mens race and he canā€™t even manage to win the womenā€™s race. The most overrated athlete in triathlon shows how mediocre he really is

A reminder for everyone of Lionel's resume over the past few years. Mediocre, huh:

2018 Season Results:
Ā· Pucon 70.3 3:48:44 1st place
Ā· Oceanside 70.3 3:48:58 2nd place
Ā· St. George 70.3 3:41:11 1st place
Ā· Challenge Samorin Championship 3:43:28 1st place

2017 Season Results:
Ā· Pucon 70.3 4:00:08 1st place
Ā· Buenos Aires 70.3 3:42:47 1st place
Ā· Oceanside 70.3 3:50:04 1st place
Ā· St. George 70.3 3:42:41 2nd place
Ā· Challenge Samorin Championship 3:40:03 1st place
Ā· Mt Tremblant 70.3 3:46:04 1st place
Ā· ITU Long Course Worlds Penticton 5:20:36 1st place
Ā· Ironman world Championships 8:04:07 2nd place
Ā· Ironman Arizona 7:54:10 1st place

2016 Season Results:
Ā· Panama 70.3 3:38:53 1st place
Ā· Oceanside 70.3 3:51:17 1st place
Ā· Texas 70.3 3:40:30 1st place
Ā· St. George 70.3 3:48:18 1st place
Ā· Mont Tremblant 70.3 3:47:31 1st place
Ā· Racine 70.3 2:20:57 2nd place
Ā· Wiesbaden 70.3 4:00:23 2nd place
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [tilburs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tilburs wrote:

This is a broad response to both of you and a few others......

Please do not presume what I think. No one commenting in a derogatory fashion toward Lionel on what I think knows me personally nor has been coached by me nor was party to mine and Lionel's friendship and working relationship.

ThatĀ“s my only response to this thread.

I'm new to SL, maybe 4-6 weeks now. While i have seen some great insight from members one thing that has stood out is the amount of aggressive bashing that happens on this forum for no apparent reason. So to see you reply with dignity and self control when clearly you are the only one here that actually has a reason to get upset or aggressive is quite refreshing. SL needs more members like you else newcomers such as myself will be turned away relatively quickly as i was about to be.

Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So he had a bad race. Iā€™ve seen plenty of top athletes with top rated coaches with bad races. Heā€™s still wil be in the mix next year with or without a coach. Hey at least got to the start line.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I donā€™t understand the problem with posting threads about an athlete. This is a triathlon forum. It exists for meaningless banter. Itā€™s not important. Iā€™d much rather read any thread about Lionel sanders than one about ā€œare zipp wheels worth it?ā€ Or ā€œwhatā€™s the best car for triathletesā€. Sooooo many terrible threads out there. The ones about LS are not near the worst IMO.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It helps immensely. The problem is all the quoting people do. Any way to fix this Dan?

That said, itā€™s made for a much more enjoyable forum experience. If youā€™d like Iā€™ll pm you a list of the usuall suspects...

BigBoyND wrote:
Last edited by: EnderWiggan: Oct 16, 18 13:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davews09 wrote:
You guys pumped this up all year like Sanders has a prayer. Well, he was a complete non factor. Not even in the hunt. Goes home devastated.

I can hear the excuses now

ā€œThis was not the race I had in me. I proved that in my training races.ā€
ā€œThe Germans were drafting.ā€
ā€œMy nutrition...ā€

For a sport that certainly needs more fans, I see nothing wrong with a little Monday morning quarterbacking and talking a bit of smack. That's what fans do. Sanders is a pro and not beyond reproach and I'm sure he will be just fine. Just in the fact that he evokes emotions on either side, he is good for the sport. Not sure why some people here think we need to golf clap everyone.

Rule #1: There is no Slowtwitch
Rule #2: Don't say anything bad about Sanders

Carry On.....

I *heart* weak, dumb ass people...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am new here too, and I feel exactly the same way BigBoyND feels.

I wasn't blessed with any slow twitch fibers and would like to run a sub 4 hour marathon for my 50th birthday next year. I would also like to do my first duathlon next year, and buy a smart trainer, hence my interest in this forum.

I am not disparaging this forum, but there seem to be a lot of posters who just want to incite, rather than add anything of value. Please pm me that list too EnderWiggan.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [Calchemma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calchemma wrote:

I wasn't blessed with any slow twitch fibers and would like to run a sub 4 hour marathon for my 50th birthday next year. I would also like to do my first duathlon next year, and buy a smart trainer, hence my interest in this forum.

I am not disparaging this forum, but there seem to be a lot of posters who just want to incite, rather than add anything of value. Please pm me that list too EnderWiggan.

Haha haha
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [ScottC-M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ScottC-M wrote:
tilburs wrote:

This is a broad response to both of you and a few others......

Please do not presume what I think. No one commenting in a derogatory fashion toward Lionel on what I think knows me personally nor has been coached by me nor was party to mine and Lionel's friendship and working relationship.

ThatĀ“s my only response to this thread.

I'm new to SL, maybe 4-6 weeks now. While i have seen some great insight from members one thing that has stood out is the amount of aggressive bashing that happens on this forum for no apparent reason. So to see you reply with dignity and self control when clearly you are the only one here that actually has a reason to get upset or aggressive is quite refreshing. SL needs more members like you else newcomers such as myself will be turned away relatively quickly as i was about to be.

Thank you!

Welcome to the forum

Hang in there.

This place is a great resource with lots of great members

If you find one or two you particularly donā€™t like you can click on their name and then click hide their posts

It may make your time here even better
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [Calchemma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calchemma wrote:

Happy šŸ˜ƒ to have you here

The vast majority of members and posts are good overall. Itā€™s easy to get bogged down with the negative ones.

Just skip past them and forget them
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have a link to a post race interview with Sanders? Would like to hear his thoughts on his race and whether or not he feels he overtrained in the last 4 weeks.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [ScottC-M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would just like to add, that Sanders didn't do that badly except when measured by the world's very best. He finished in 8hr 30min 34s which would have been good enough for the podium any year up to 2004. In addition it was only his run that was slightly below expectation (3hr 15m). The percentage of people who can run a 3hr 15m marathon in an ironman is very small. So he ran 13% below his expected pace (2hr 51m in 2017).....who has not had that happen to them on some occasions. Anyway his own very honest thoughts are here:
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [FastFitnessTips] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So the cliffs are:

- heĀ“s (finally) getting a coach who is watching him daily
- needs to become front pack swimmer
- might move to find a training group
- will share the entire process

Am I missing any big point here?

And he is truly DEVASTATED
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [chrissie1993] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrissie1993 wrote:
So the cliffs are:

- heĀ“s (finally) getting a coach who is watching him daily
- needs to become front pack swimmer
- might move to find a training group
- will share the entire process

Am I missing any big point here?

And he is truly DEVASTATED

Get proper bike fitments done and do wind tunnel testing.

All in All very mature of him. A lot of what he said and realised comes from his recovery as an addict. So i think he has finally realised how to move forwards and is prepared to do so. Wish him the best and cant wait to see what he is capable of next season.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [chrissie1993] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just my 2 cents but i think he will be angry because his A race went wrong...exactly as frodeno in 2017 that was one of the potential winners and exactly as kienle this year.

hope next years thing will go in a better way for LS, Sebi and Frodo
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [FastFitnessTips] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FastFitnessTips wrote:
[..] In addition it was only his run that was slightly below expectation (3hr 15m). The percentage of people who can run a 3hr 15m marathon in an ironman is very small. So he ran 13% below his expected pace (2hr 51m in 2017).....who has not had that happen to them on some occasions. [..]

I'm a 195 lb amateur and ran a 3:13 at my last IM. While I agree with the rest of your comment (I wish I could do 8:30 on any day, let alone a bad one!), I think 3:15 is very poor for him. He ran ~1min/mile slower than normal which is the difference between threshold and recovery. I'm rooting for him and hope he finds his way back on the podium next year
Quote Reply

Prev Next