Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:

My biggest thing for him is that needs to tear apart his running form this winter and rebuild it so that he doesn't look like he's been shot with an arrow.

Lance Armstrong, in his Kona preview podcast said Sanders "Runs like he's got three legs. I mean, it's hard to watch. But it works."

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Oct 14, 18 19:44
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which is why I said it needed to be done carefully otherwise instead of looking like he's hurt...he will actually get hurt.

Someone said above that that run isn't his limiter...well this race was bad so it needs a full analysis which is why he needs a coach that make those observations.

For me, paying more attention to him has mad me like him and I root for him as I root for most of the "interesting" guys. Like say Starky.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Lionel made a lot of crazy changes to his training this year. A lot of those changes I liked (going out of doors), and a lot I don't like. I know numerous times it's been said on here particularly by Talbot Cox that he has advisors. He doesn't need an advisor, he needs someone that he defers some type of authority to that will provide critical feedback to. I think watching him on his youtube channel shows us a lot. I'm unsure he had enough time riding in his old position to easily adapt to what he was doing.

My biggest thing for him is that needs to tear apart his running form this winter and rebuild it so that he doesn't look like he's been shot with an arrow. Now, this has to be done extremely carefully because if done wrong he could end up slower. Does Sketchers have an actual running team set up with a technical director he can go to for this or do they just provide product and cash to athletes? Any technical support? Just some ideas, I don't think he'll be able to get fast enough in the water to make a difference, he might be able to enhance economy.

My thought a few seasons ago( i think I posted) was he could structure a support group, much like a small Formula race team. e.g engineering is a big part of those teams.

Lionel's durability is pretty amazing. To log those hours, this long is quite the deal. But like all sports with imbalances, it takes 8+ years or more to sabotage sound bio-mechanics and start to detract from performance. More training = more regression, without proper recovery or remediation routines.

Olympic athletes have the benefit of full "state" support and re-hab therapists. I've seen some work that the USA and Canadian swimmers are doing and it's OK (you are dealing with youngsters). But I still think there needs to be more intelligent effort put toward that.

So I'd be curious as to what Lionel has in that corner, because from the looks of it, not much.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [BIGringbrah] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BIGringbrah wrote:
Davews, why the hateful disrespectful Sanders post?? And where did you place on saturday??

I don't think it's disrespectful.

You know, when we see someone 'not sacrificing the gift'

Code
, we praise that individual..... well, here's someone truly 'sacrificing the gift' and as a former super-Sanders fan, it really upsets me. I'm no longer a Sanders fan. I'm sure he's a great guy and would be a great person to have a conversation with. But, fans expend energy in cheering for their chosen athletes (that's what sport is) and Sanders has let me down. His videos were jokes and his hodge podge training methods, according to those videos, alluded to yesterday's performance. He truly is a once in a generation talent and to see that squandered is just so disappointing. It's not hate. It's not disrespect. It's disappointment. 

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram

Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
His erratic/irrational decision making his training, etc, is probably a symptom of or replacement for of his addiction/recovery. That will continue until HE deals with it . . . a coach or marketer probably won't be able to do a lot with him until he does a lot with himself. I wish him well.

That makes sense. I read an article years ago about people with addictive tendencies who get into endurance sports. They easily get overtrained because they can't back off and rest/relax. Their coach gives them a schedule and they sneak in extra training anyway. But I don't think you need to be an addict to have overtraining tendencies in this sport. It's difficult to tell when just the right amount turns into "too much", and then it can be too late.

I don't believe his mention of overtraining in the interview was purely a joke. In which case he's aware of it and will hopefully make appropriate adjustments.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish Lionel Sanders take this bad result, as an opportunity to see all the bad decissions I took during this year, and take a Coach.

He need to slow down, and I am sure that I could perform even better than he planned. If not, if he takes it in the bad way (ie. he think that the error is that he needs to train even more) we can say good by to Sanders.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [davews09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davews09 wrote:
You guys pumped this up all year like Sanders has a prayer. Well, he was a complete non factor. Not even in the hunt. Goes home devastated.

I can hear the excuses now

“This was not the race I had in me. I proved that in my training races.”
“The Germans were drafting.”
“My nutrition...”

What a dick fucking post!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [CementBottle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CementBottle wrote:
davews09 wrote:
You guys pumped this up all year like Sanders has a prayer. Well, he was a complete non factor. Not even in the hunt. Goes home devastated.

“My nutrition...”

Welcome to Slowtwitch. This is why most pros have abandoned participating here.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [Derekl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Derekl wrote:
CementBottle wrote:
davews09 wrote:

“My nutrition...”

Are they delicate genius's???
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Derekl wrote:
CementBottle wrote:
davews09 wrote:

“My nutrition...”

Exhibit A
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [Alfredo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And to think that Cody Beals has beaten Matt Russell handily in both of his last 2 Ironman's, it's not at all unrealistic to think Cody has a VERY real shot of a top 5 overall performance in Kona (next year if he decides to go).
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [walie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
walie wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
Derekl wrote:
CementBottle wrote:
davews09 wrote:

“My nutrition...”

Exhibit A

Please clarify exactly what you mean by exhibit A. I don't want to respond inappropriately because I've misread or misunderstood exactly what you're trying to convey.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [CementBottle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CementBottle wrote:
davews09 wrote:

“My nutrition...”

This is why you see many good contributing members who give good advice leave for a few years, come back for a month or so and then end up leaving again
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
walie wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
Derekl wrote:
CementBottle wrote:
davews09 wrote:

“My nutrition...”

Exhibit A

Exactly right

No need to ask what I mean fishbum for two reasons. 1. I’ll state it exactly down below

2. I’m putting your posts on hide so I won’t see your reply anyways

You typify the socks in this sore which push away pros who used to post here as well as other good contributing members.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RBR wrote:
walie wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
Derekl wrote:
CementBottle wrote:
davews09 wrote:

“My nutrition...”

Exhibit A

Exactly right

No need to ask what I mean fishbum for two reasons. 1. I’ll state it exactly down below

You typify the socks in this sore which push away pros who used to post here as well as other good contributing members.

LOL. Go to your safe space. if by calling someone a delicate genius and implying that they can't read or see anything negative about themselves offends you then by all means hide everyone's post who has ever critiqued anything. Continue living in a bubble. God forbid anyone come on here and express their opinion about anything. I truly don't know how you people make it through life. Right wrong or indifferent whether I think your opinion is worth two s****or I agree or disagree with it I will 100% not hide your post because it is your point of view and you have every right to it. Now if pros come on here read something negative about themselves and choose to leave this forum then that is their right. Just as much as it is for you to block my post and for me to post what I want within reason and Dan's rules. ThisThis that we all seem to enjoy so much takes more mental fortitude then a lot of other things in our lives but seriously those of you who can't come on here and not choose to read something if you're afraid it's going to bother you or run around worrying about who you've offended and how cracks me up. How the hell do you people make it through life.
Last edited by: Fishbum: Oct 15, 18 9:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually, it is not so unbelievable how negative and mean people can be. They are so brave when they can hide behind a keyboard.

As for the purpose of this thread, it is beyond me, and it was started by someone who clearly rejoices in other people's disappointments. You can easily tell who the mean spirited posters are. It is so laughingly transparent when they pretend to be offering some sort of constructive criticism.

It is obvious there are posters here who are pretty miserable in real life. From my experience, truly happy people derive no satisfaction in other people's misfortune, and are not negative Nellies.

As for the complaints about too many Lionel Sanders threads, the solution is a simple one. If you don't like them, you don't have to read them. But just like the story of the scorpion and the frog, it is simply in the nature of some posters here to bring negativity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RBR wrote:
walie wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
Derekl wrote:
CementBottle wrote:
davews09 wrote:

“My nutrition...”

Exhibit A

Exactly right

I'll make one last point to you. I was reading over some of your other posts on other Lionel threads and you really do need to htfu. In one you criticize the STRO BRO for reading a post and telling him he simply didn't have to click on it like Dan said which is comical maybe you should take your own advice. And don't get me wrong I disagree with the stro bro plenty and we go back and forth occasionally but I'd be willing to bet you 50 bucks he's sitting there laughing his ass off at my posts knowing full well I'm doing the same to his.
And I love how in that same post to him you sit there and tell him how'd your blocking him as well. For fucksake at this pace you won't be reading anybody's post.
To carry on and have fun in your f****** bubble
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [Scott_D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scott_D wrote:
davews09 wrote:
The reality is that "high protein" Ramen Noodles for breakfast, Jan aero pedals, cutting 5 pounds a week before a race and multiple Ironman training days aren't the formula for success. Lionel had a formula for success in 2017. Then he came in second at Kona he canned DTD. Can only imagine the smirk on DTD's face when Lionel crossed the line as second female pro.

DTD hasn't stopped smiling since Tremblant when Beals beat Lionel. I live 20 minutes from Beals and watched Lionel and Cody break into the sport and now as they each have their respective successes. I have said this to multiple people (for many years), Lionel lacks the intelligence to do it all himself. He needs to have someone do all his thinking for him. 99% of his actions are reactive and he adopts these strategies 100% without one would assume is any logic (the swim idea from his first Kona, all the water he wanted to drink on the run, experimenting with co2 to fill his tires before a race). Beals on the other hand is extremely intelligent, proactive, and will soon, if not already, be Canada's top Ironman male athlete. Lionel may still have great performances, but on the biggest stages when all the talent is relatively equal, the mind is what separates the top performers, and unfortunately that is Lionel's biggest weakness.

This is a broad response to both of you and a few others......

Please do not presume what I think. No one commenting in a derogatory fashion toward Lionel on what I think knows me personally nor has been coached by me nor was party to mine and Lionel's friendship and working relationship.

That´s my only response to this thread.

David T-D
http://www.tilburydavis.com
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davejustdave wrote:

Then again, that has happened in the past with the swim. I recall reading Sanders himself did something similar in the swim.

Thanks, Dave. A history lesson for those who weren't around three years ago or have chosen to block out the idea that Sanders tried something similar to what they are accusing Lange of doing - https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ing=chabrot#p5729240

As far as a somewhat out-of-the-box suggestion for a coach for Sanders (if he can't work it out with his former coach), how about Gordo Byrn? Fellow Canadian who went from chubby office guy with an alcohol problem and no former elite athletic experience to winning UltraMan and getting close to winning IM Canada. He was coached/mentored by Scott, Allen and Molina at different points during his pro career and also did a very good job making a name for himself even though he wasn't winning big races. I think he could certainly understand the obsessive tendencies that Sanders has displaced.

My hope for Sanders is that he is quiet on social media for the next year and has a great performance in Kona next year. How can you not respect someone with a 2nd place on his Kona resume?
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Oct 15, 18 10:23
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [tilburs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tilburs wrote:
Scott_D wrote:
davews09 wrote:
The reality is that "high protein" Ramen Noodles for breakfast, Jan aero pedals, cutting 5 pounds a week before a race and multiple Ironman training days aren't the formula for success. Lionel had a formula for success in 2017. Then he came in second at Kona he canned DTD. Can only imagine the smirk on DTD's face when Lionel crossed the line as second female pro.

DTD hasn't stopped smiling since Tremblant when Beals beat Lionel. I live 20 minutes from Beals and watched Lionel and Cody break into the sport and now as they each have their respective successes. I have said this to multiple people (for many years), Lionel lacks the intelligence to do it all himself. He needs to have someone do all his thinking for him. 99% of his actions are reactive and he adopts these strategies 100% without one would assume is any logic (the swim idea from his first Kona, all the water he wanted to drink on the run, experimenting with co2 to fill his tires before a race). Beals on the other hand is extremely intelligent, proactive, and will soon, if not already, be Canada's top Ironman male athlete. Lionel may still have great performances, but on the biggest stages when all the talent is relatively equal, the mind is what separates the top performers, and unfortunately that is Lionel's biggest weakness.

This is a broad response to both of you and a few others......

Please do not presume what I think. No one commenting in a derogatory fashion toward Lionel on what I think knows me personally nor has been coached by me nor was party to mine and Lionel's friendship and working relationship.

That´s my only response to this thread.

That is a super classy response. Kudos.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
RBR wrote:
walie wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
Derekl wrote:
CementBottle wrote:
davews09 wrote:

“My nutrition...”

Exhibit A

Exactly right

LOL. Go to your safe space. if by calling someone a delicate genius and implying that they can't read or see anything negative about themselves offends you then by all means hide everyone's post who has ever critiqued anything. Continue living in a bubble. God forbid anyone come on here and express their opinion about anything. I truly don't know how you people make it through life. Right wrong or indifferent whether I think your opinion is worth two s****or I agree or disagree with it I will 100% not hide your post because it is your point of view and you have every right to it. Now if pros come on here read something negative about themselves and choose to leave this forum then that is their right. Just as much as it is for you to block my post and for me to post what I want within reason and Dan's rules. ThisThis that we all seem to enjoy so much takes more mental fortitude then a lot of other things in our lives but seriously those of you who can't come on here and not choose to read something if you're afraid it's going to bother you or run around worrying about who you've offended and how cracks me up. How the hell do you people make it through life.

Exhibit B
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
RBR wrote:
walie wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
Derekl wrote:
CementBottle wrote:
davews09 wrote:

“My nutrition...”

Exhibit A

Exactly right

I'll make one last point to you. I was reading over some of your other posts on other Lionel threads and you really do need to htfu. In one you criticize the STRO BRO for reading a post and telling him he simply didn't have to click on it like Dan said which is comical maybe you should take your own advice. And don't get me wrong I disagree with the stro bro plenty and we go back and forth occasionally but I'd be willing to bet you 50 bucks he's sitting there laughing his ass off at my posts knowing full well I'm doing the same to his.
And I love how in that same post to him you sit there and tell him how'd your blocking him as well. For fucksake at this pace you won't be reading anybody's post.

Exhibit C
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [drluke12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drluke12 wrote:
And to think that Cody Beals has beaten Matt Russell handily in both of his last 2 Ironman's, it's not at all unrealistic to think Cody has a VERY real shot of a top 5 overall performance in Kona (next year if he decides to go).

Not to derail the thread, but I thought the same thing, seeing the race unfold. Cody has to be thinking he's got as good as chance as any at making the podium and contending FTW. So many race day variables, I know, but he's got the goods to put his game on the line and see what happens... And why wouldn't you (Cody), give yourself that chance!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
walie wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
RBR wrote:
walie wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
Derekl wrote:
CementBottle wrote:
davews09 wrote:

“My nutrition...”

Exhibit A

Exactly right

Exhibit C

All these exhibits make me wonder who you're building a case for or do you have something of interest to contribute to this conversation or just go the route of other people on here and just block anything that you're sensitive ears can't handle.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [davews09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check out Kienle's post race interview, about 4:35 in, when he describes Lionel's words and actions having caught him on the bike. Based on this description, Lionel sounds like a pretty good guy to me when he himself is not in a great spot. Classy response by Kienle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_36F2tvvjQ
Quote Reply

Prev Next