Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also he has to get rid of that pig of a bike he's on. Frame hasn't evolved in 4 years, his fit is still the worst out of any pro out there, and it lacks standard features like integrated hydration. Whatever Garneau is paying him isn't worth it.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [bretzky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bretzky wrote:
Also he has to get rid of that pig of a bike he's on. Frame hasn't evolved in 4 years, his fit is still the worst out of any pro out there, and it lacks standard features like integrated hydration. Whatever Garneau is paying him isn't worth it.

He’s sticking with his country’s Canadian brand.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

Then again, he only had a camera on him because he was defending, so there's that...

Reading up on the "Lange drafting" issues....Sebi and Frodo have said that it's when the officials aren't there that Lange is even worse with the drafting distance. Which I guess can be said of a ton of people (see every IM drafting photo from every IM race)

I know, right??? *Especially* after that article in the German press. The whole thing is very interesting

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [Skyline Chili] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skyline Chili wrote:
bretzky wrote:

He’s sticking with his country’s Canadian brand.

More prevalent Canadian bike brands like Cervelo and Argon 18.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bretzky wrote:

More prevalent Canadian bike brands like Cervelo and Argon 18.

Or, technically, Cannondale. But since only the owners are in Canadia (vs. design and manufacture), maybe that doesn't count.
Last edited by: trail: Oct 14, 18 11:24
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [AJHull] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By looking at the numbers, I think Lionel could be a contender for the win BUT he needs to drop 5 minutes off his 2017 run time. If he can run in the 2:45 range, he could win if the race is not playing out like a run race. But it seems that is less likely the case nowadays.

I think it's clear that with so many strong bikers, you have to focus on the swim to avoid missing the "train" and then focus on the run to be able to run a 2:45. LS mentioned in a few videos that he realized the benefit of having a run training partner and was seen running with that very fast miler guy.

I think he has to work on getting a swim coach and then run with that guy regularly, to get his running up. I think he'll be back and a threat next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bretzky wrote:

Don't agree with this. Fit perhaps, but the triathlon world is filled with cervelo (and other brand) fanboys who'd have you believe it's the only brand worth considering. Just consider how many different brands were represented in the top 10 and you'll realise it's not the bike frame that matters..

P.s. McNamee is on a cervelo but it's not I wager the reason for his success
Last edited by: JackL: Oct 14, 18 11:35
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
"i don't coach anybody anymore. but if i wanted to coach, and i could have my pick of any athlete, i'd start with lionel. if i was a manufacturer, and i wanted an athlete to use my product, my first stop would be lionel.

and... i don't even know lionel. "
-----------------------------------
Your insight is exactly on target. No question he is an intriguing character with huge potential. However, a question hanging out there that I really do not know enough about is his addiction and recovery. Perhaps it is out there, I just don't know about it. The reason I bring that up is working with that addiction mindset could be very problematic. His erratic/irrational decision making his training, etc, is probably a symptom of or replacement for of his addiction/recovery. That will continue until HE deals with it . . . a coach or marketer probably won't be able to do a lot with him until he does a lot with himself. I wish him well.

i'm writing thru the prism of a rank capitalist. if cameron wurf moves from pinarello to trek, and he wins the bike split next year, is it because of trek? but if he loses the fastest bike split? and trek is the only change he made?

we've had the two best weather years in kona's history the past 2 years. only '93 and '96 come even remotely close. what are the odds of more years like this? it's likelier that the men's win time next year is closer to daniela's winning time from yesterday.

if i pick up lange, frodeno, wurf, i'm just picking up somebody who, if he falters, i'm the only change, i get the blame (as the coach, bike sponsor, whatever).

but lionel! it's only upside. if he spirals off into oblivion, he was on that road anyway. if he returns to form, i'm the savior.

and, let's remember, other than the last 3 months this guy was money in terms of reliable podium finishes. so, yeah, as an equipment sponsor or coach, if all he does is return to form i'm the savior. lionel is the safest, surest bet there is.

the only thing i'd need to do, to be, is that guy who he can trust. the skill is not in providing lionel with good advice and equipment. the skill is in demonstrating to lionel that you can be trusted. i have one trait that lionel needs to generate inside himself. i have one really good skill: i only hire people who are smarter than me. the skill is in realizing that this is an imperative, and that means acknowledging that you're not only not the smartest guy in the room, but that you're in trouble if you're the smartest guy in your employ. lionel will eventually find those who are smarter than him.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Oct 14, 18 11:37
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
It's not Sanders. It's his fans and the fifty threads that they have going at any point in time.

It's like Steelers fans. They just go full retard.

Well probably true - but make posts like these about said fans then. Not the dude himself.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find it interesting:

Frodenos last two Konas:

- bad day
- DNS

Sanders last two Konas:

- 2nd Place
- bad day

Frodenos' last two Konas just happened because it's life. Stuff happens and it is a fine line between fit and falling over the top. He might have been a tad too light last year or trained a little bit too aggressively in 2018. This is something that an athlete has to face and sometimes it just is not meant to be.

But with Sanders everyone sees it differently. He was second last year but, because of his "out of this world" talent, should have won it at least three times before. So second is just a sign of failure and shows his bad pacing. And now his bad day is proof that he does everything wrong and has no clue what to do and is dumb anyway.

Hey guys, really? That guy already has a podium in Kona and has every chance to win it in the future. He is that good because of his aggressive approach and not despite it. Sometimes his extreme behaviour leads to big blows. But his extreme attitude also garantees the highest of highs.

(Not replying to you Dan, but to the thread in general)

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [ToBeasy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the LS dialogue has been ongoing before yestuday’s bad day. Again imo it’s not results that is leading my viewpoint but the attitude/mindset that seems to be driving LS right now that to me dictates some much needed help.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [davews09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davews09 wrote:
You guys pumped this up all year like Sanders has a prayer. Well, he was a complete non factor. Not even in the hunt. Goes home devastated.

I can hear the excuses now

“This was not the race I had in me. I proved that in my training races.”
“The Germans were drafting.”
“My nutrition...”

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
It's so disgusting when people here go after someone who had a bad day and then gloat over it.

Because of the hordes drinking the Lionel Kool-Aid who "couldn't wait" to laugh at the "keyboard critics" when Lionel crossed the finish line first. Just one example of countless posts over the past few months:

RallySavage wrote:
All of you pretentious, elitist, know-it-all, assholes are going to have to suck dick in a few weeks. I can’t wait.
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6741047#p6741047

The reality is that "high protein" Ramen Noodles for breakfast, Jan aero pedals, cutting 5 pounds a week before a race and multiple Ironman training days aren't the formula for success. Lionel had a formula for success in 2017. Then he came in second at Kona he canned DTD. Can only imagine the smirk on DTD's face when Lionel crossed the line as second female pro.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lionel had a formula for success in 2017. Then he came in second at Kona he canned DTD.

Yes and the same people criticizing him now jumped all over him for not winning despite his talent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davews09 wrote:
Sanuk wrote:
It's so disgusting when people here go after someone who had a bad day and then gloat over it.

Because of the hordes drinking the Lionel Kool-Aid who "couldn't wait" to laugh at the "keyboard critics" when Lionel crossed the finish line first. Just one example of countless posts over the past few months:

RallySavage wrote:
All of you pretentious, elitist, know-it-all, assholes are going to have to suck dick in a few weeks. I can’t wait.
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6741047#p6741047

The reality is that "high protein" Ramen Noodles for breakfast, Jan aero pedals, cutting 5 pounds a week before a race and multiple Ironman training days aren't the formula for success. Lionel had a formula for success in 2017. Then he came in second at Kona he canned DTD. Can only imagine the smirk on DTD's face when Lionel crossed the line as second female pro.

This...... Hahaha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lionel made a lot of crazy changes to his training this year. A lot of those changes I liked (going out of doors), and a lot I don't like. I know numerous times it's been said on here particularly by Talbot Cox that he has advisors. He doesn't need an advisor, he needs someone that he defers some type of authority to that will provide critical feedback to. I think watching him on his youtube channel shows us a lot. I'm unsure he had enough time riding in his old position to easily adapt to what he was doing.

My biggest thing for him is that needs to tear apart his running form this winter and rebuild it so that he doesn't look like he's been shot with an arrow. Now, this has to be done extremely carefully because if done wrong he could end up slower. Does Sketchers have an actual running team set up with a technical director he can go to for this or do they just provide product and cash to athletes? Any technical support? Just some ideas, I don't think he'll be able to get fast enough in the water to make a difference, he might be able to enhance economy.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
I have no feeling about Lionel one way or another. However he's obviously extremely gifted ( as are any # of pros) and has a grazy drive. BUT.... it's painful to watch a athlete waist (IMO) yrs of his career because he thinks he knows best.

As for his fans.....What can I say your just fun to troll:)

I look at this from the lens of him being a recovering drug addict. If you tell a drug addict they have a problem, do they admit it? No, they have it under control, they know what they're doing, they can right the ship.

Lionel has admitted he has replaced unhealthy addiction with a relatively healthy addiction in exercise, but he is still displaying the attitude of an addict: he doesn't need help (with training), he knows best, he can do it himself, etc etc.

Just an observation.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
I have no feeling about Lionel one way or another. However he's obviously extremely gifted ( as are any # of pros) and has a grazy drive. BUT.... it's painful to watch a athlete waist (IMO) yrs of his career because he thinks he knows best.

As for his fans.....What can I say your just fun to troll:)

I look at this from the lens of him being a recovering drug addict. If you tell a drug addict they have a problem, do they admit it? No, they have it under control, they know what they're doing, they can right the ship.

Lionel has admitted he has replaced unhealthy addiction with a relatively healthy addiction in exercise, but he is still displaying the attitude of an addict: he doesn't need help (with training), he knows best, he can do it himself, etc etc.

Just an observation.

All kidding aside your analogy is probably one of the smartest things I've ever read on slowtwitch
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Lionel made a lot of crazy changes to his training this year. A lot of those changes I liked (going out of doors), and a lot I don't like. I know numerous times it's been said on here particularly by Talbot Cox that he has advisors. He doesn't need an advisor, he needs someone that he defers some type of authority to that will provide critical feedback to. I think watching him on his youtube channel shows us a lot. I'm unsure he had enough time riding in his old position to easily adapt to what he was doing.

My biggest thing for him is that needs to tear apart his running form this winter and rebuild it so that he doesn't look like he's been shot with an arrow. Now, this has to be done extremely carefully because if done wrong he could end up slower. Does Sketchers have an actual running team set up with a technical director he can go to for this or do they just provide product and cash to athletes? Any technical support? Just some ideas, I don't think he'll be able to get fast enough in the water to make a difference, he might be able to enhance economy.

I am no coach, but I disagree with this pretty strongly. His run is not his limiter. He needs a coach, that much is certain, but only to continue to do what he was doing last year, that got him so close. He had a bad day yesterday. His run is good enough to win.

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davews09 wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
davetri1 wrote:
8:26 is mediocre?
In Reply To:

It is when the winner goes sub 8:00

I wouldn't have thought you would have posted that, but Thank You

I mean, it's not mediocre relative to us age group mortals but Sanders ins't judged relative to us. He's judged relative to his piers, the other pros he's competing against.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [rsmoylan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rsmoylan wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

I am no coach, but I disagree with this pretty strongly. His run is not his limiter. He needs a coach, that much is certain, but only to continue to do what he was doing last year, that got him so close. He had a bad day yesterday. His run is good enough to win.

X2! This had been refuted countless times by many qualified coaches and other qualified ppl on this forum. His run form is not his limiting issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [TRobTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I did on page 5 of this thread... would have played a massive role in his drop in performance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davews09 wrote:

DTD hasn't stopped smiling since Tremblant when Beals beat Lionel. I live 20 minutes from Beals and watched Lionel and Cody break into the sport and now as they each have their respective successes. I have said this to multiple people (for many years), Lionel lacks the intelligence to do it all himself. He needs to have someone do all his thinking for him. 99% of his actions are reactive and he adopts these strategies 100% without one would assume is any logic (the swim idea from his first Kona, all the water he wanted to drink on the run, experimenting with co2 to fill his tires before a race). Beals on the other hand is extremely intelligent, proactive, and will soon, if not already, be Canada's top Ironman male athlete. Lionel may still have great performances, but on the biggest stages when all the talent is relatively equal, the mind is what separates the top performers, and unfortunately that is Lionel's biggest weakness.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [Scott_D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spot on regarding Cody Beals. He is a force to be reckoned with, not only his athletic capability and talent, but his work ethic is second to none, and you rightly point out his intelligence. Might be the smartest pro in the field, his University background with his physics degree has brought a superb analytical and technical element to his triathlon career. Tough feedback you give on Lionel valid nonetheless. I was surprised when he said that he went to Kona 3 weeks early not because he planned it months ago or was part of a detailed training plan, but it was a spur of the moment decision made following 70.3 Worlds upon the suggestion of his wife. Shall be rooting for him nonetheless both in sport and life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Davews, why the hateful disrespectful Sanders post?? And where did you place on saturday??
Quote Reply

Prev Next