Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and did you see the way Dave passed him running around the van. Dude should go back to Windsor flipping burgers with Molina at the K-Mart.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [davews09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m not making excuses for him, as the best won on the day, and he could never run with Lange IMO. But I am not sure anyone noticed, his rear hydration must have broken off somewhere on the bike. Tririg have a race day gallery up (best in the business post race images) and he is missing the rear hydration in some of the images. Looks to have broken off. That would have an impact...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Sanders 53:59 swim time his race was over. Head case. "

Bart swam 54:07 and his race was not over!!!

There are no slow bikers anymore. Lionel can not win the race on the bike.

Wurf hardly got 5 minutes over the second group.

Maybe Lionel has to reconsider his strategy. Close the gap to the runners group and sit in the group the remainder of the bike.

Last edited by: Testrider: Oct 14, 18 1:37
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
Someone who leads a WC with 3 miles left "has a prayer" to come in first.

Has he ever come out of a poor performance claiming that someone cheated?

This post just sounds like a personal issue with the guy...
Well a perfect example of him making excuses is when he lost IMMT to Cody Beals he does a vlog saying he changed his diet the week before the race. So either he is really really stupid or makes excuses with the best of them
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turningscrews wrote:
Jackets wrote:
This place won't change next year, pre Kona will be full of threads about Sanders all the talk will be about Wurf, Kienle and Frodo when only one of them will have podiumed in the last two years!

& little love for the 3 Americans in the top 10. Russell’s day was pretty inspirational.

I think the Andy Potts bashing can end now. That was a pretty impressive race for him at 40.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Brandes wrote:
Lets assume he was fatigued going into the race. Starts swimming and immediately the body doesn't feel good. Has a very poor swim which isn't a surprise from Lionel. However, looking at where he swam at the practice swim a week prior we can say he swam very bad. Something was up.

Now onto the bike. He starts riding and immediately the legs feel fatigued, no pep. He pushes the watts he knows how he can push. Add in the same drafting you always see in the front group. How many times did we see Lange sitting up and or soft pedaling when on camera? But still rides a crazy fast time. While Lionel is way back by himself pushing big watts but isnt the match for a group dynamic.

Watts and Time are not the best measurement of how he did as the dynamics of the race play a bigger reason into times done. You put LS in a smaller field with those watts and he will ride much better comparative to others who don't have group support.

Also in the watt category, if LS was fatigued from the weeks of training and almost two Ironmans before. If he was out of the aero bars more because he was fatigued and frustrated, he's going to push higher watts and go slower.

What does all this mean? Shit who knows. What I do know is that LS caused himself to miss out on another big opportunity off his own ignorance. His videos are entertaining but educated people see the his videos as a complete train wreck. Not some gleaming hope of whats possible. He has proven time and time again that he cannot manage himself and he's too stubborn to allow someone to work with him. When DTD worked with him last year is when we saw the most growth. Fast forward one year and we have LS self coached, talking massive game, making massive errors, and bombing at the most important race of the year.
i have about a half-dozen things that have made me cringe about how he races and trains over the last half-dozen years. i, like you, think he could've made better choices, short-cut his way to better performances more quickly, and found better success with less exertion.

i also noted how he got himself to 2nd place last year and damned near won, and i also watched mark allen try and fail 7 times to get himself to the top spot in kona.

lionel is the highest placing, best performing, most podium honored athlete who is dumber than virtually all the spectators who watch him... according to those spectators.

I think Lionel has done a great job transforming his life into a potential
Kona winner but this year he gave into too many of his impulses. The quick turnaround from IMMT just was disastrous . As someone who has seen this race for 40 years and certainly seen same actions and results more often than not. The question is where does he go from here? He certainly needs a mentor or coach to be voice of reason at times. It will be interesting to see what he learns from this to move forward!
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He had a world class coach in DTD... IMO, he never gave him control and fully trusted him. This is probably why he called him an "advisor".

Toro Performance
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [Coachderekyorku] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Coachderekyorku wrote:
Well a perfect example of him making excuses is when he lost IMMT to Cody Beals he does a vlog saying he changed his diet the week before the race. So either he is really really stupid or makes excuses with the best of them

Identifying mistakes/weaknesses and making excuses are not the same. The former is an acknowledgement while the latter is a release from obligation.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Regardless of whether it is from getting a coach, or some other way, I hope he bounces back positively. I'll never understand all the hate here on ST. He's no god, but he is a class act IMHO.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [Scot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All he needs is to go to last year's plan work with last year's advisor, execute to the plan for race day that last year's advisor gave him but that he partially overcooked last year and hope for a 2004 Stadler favourable windy day
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember when Mark Allen kept coming 2nd to Dave Scott, year after year. Imagine the critics here on Slowtwitch who would have been criticizing his training approach, calling him a loser etc. And the critics are sitting at home, behind their keyboards, writing out the best way for him to improve.

It's so disgusting when people here go after someone who had a bad day and then gloat over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone seen any interview or quotes from him post-race? I'm really interested to hear.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [walie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
walie wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
I have no feeling about Lionel one way or another. However he's obviously extremely gifted ( as are any # of pros) and has a grazy drive. BUT.... it's painful to watch a athlete waist (IMO) yrs of his career because he thinks he knows best.

As for his fans.....What can I say your just fun to troll:)

You keep saying this, I don't think anyone here believes you.

Some part of me wants Sanders to win Kona.
Its definitely two sided though. His fans think he's awesome because he let's cocks follow him around with a camera ( good marketing) and his critics either don't like him because he's quirky, or Canadian, doesn't come on ST or whatever. Personally his fans constantly saying how great he is and there 50 threads on ST and insisting he doesn't need a coach is what make me laugh. If nothing else his carrier is nothing short of amazing but if someone could get threw to him....Look out!
Maybe get him to stop over training and peak at the right time ( obviously arm chair QBing).
But nothing will change....
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No hate here. Guy is a monster. As a fan of his, I'm more frustrated than anything. I love his transparency and how much he shares on his social channels. And while Im sure he will bounce back, his window for success is finite.

Toro Performance
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [sjn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sjn wrote:
Has anyone seen any interview or quotes from him post-race? I'm really interested to hear.

I as well.

I don't get the hate either.

Dude obviously had a crap race, well below his potential.

I had hoped for a repeat of last year, only with Sanders having more in the tank when Lange caught him and the 2 racing down to the finish. Instead we saw someone get pulled by a teammate all day and then run off the front by himself for 2 hrs.

As impressive/incredible an exhibition as Danielas race was, it was boring as well. No fireworks, no big battle of wills, just her being a machine and running everyone else into the ground.

Watching Lange get led out for passes and getting pulled all morning by Drietz was just depressing. Sure, it was legal, I guess, but how one can celebrate that and revel in the downfall of a guy like Sanders who does the exact opposite just mystifies me.

End point of my ramblings: why celebrate someone imploding when that implosion only means we get a less exciting race to watch?
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davejustdave wrote:
sjn wrote:

I as well.

I had hoped for a repeat of last year, only with Sanders having more in the tank when Lange caught him and the 2 racing down to the finish. Instead we saw someone get pulled by a teammate all day and then run off the front by himself for 2 hrs.

As impressive/incredible an exhibition as Danielas race was, it was boring as well. No fireworks, no big battle of wills, just her being a machine and running everyone else into the ground.

Watching Lange get led out for passes and getting pulled all morning by Drietz was just depressing. Sure, it was legal, I guess, but how one can celebrate that and revel in the downfall of a guy like Sanders who does the exact opposite just mystifies me.

End point of my ramblings: why celebrate someone imploding when that implosion only means we get a less exciting race to watch?

Has the age of the Ironman Domestique arrived?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davews09 wrote:
Longrunhome wrote:
I get being annoyed by over zealous fans but rejoicing in the failure or misfortune of someone really makes you a total dick.

It's called schadenfreude. And that's not a dick.

It's called being a douche.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [wjoiner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wjoiner wrote:
What coach would accept him?

Dave Scott IMO would be the perfect match! Tons of knowledge has a coach, athlete, Kona and so much more. Kind of coach you would say "yes sir", type of personnality that could handle someone like Lionel.

Comments on mediocre day... Blabla... So Jan the previous year finishing in 35th was the same... Just showing respect to the island, sponsors, family, friends that help him into the journey.

Still want to know his comments after the race... Who knows what really happened yesterday?

Jellyfish sting? Daniela managed really well but could have been a disaster... Sebi issue with a back wheel, FVL penality...

At end it will not change this year results, books are close! Lets move to slowly to the off season and planing Kona 2019!
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no hate for him either. Though I understand why he is so polarizing. It will be fascinating to hear his follow up from the race. If you look at his bike power file, it’s clear something was off - his power was steadily dropping in the 2nd half
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

Dammit Lionel....maybe why your body was off is you did an IM in Tremblant on empty 7 weeks ago and you did all these 3/4 IM days too close to the race. I think he says it in the video.

In fairness to the Sanders overhype, Kienle under performed too as did did Frodo and so did Gomez.

This is the simplest explanation and most likely the core issue that sabotaged Lionel's race. I was on course at IMMT and I passed Lionel on the out & back. It made a strong impression on me because he looked like a shattered man in that last 10k. His eyes were like saucers, he was gaunt, and quite honestly; he looked like a man traveling through Dante's Inferno. He knew that the nutrition mistakes leading into Tremblant, and then driving his engine on empty for 140.6 miles, did damage. And that's why he did the 3/4 IM test days.

I'm a Lionel fan, but he needs to hand the reigns over to a Team that consists of a coach, nutritionist, and some Tri-focused training partners. Lionel by himself in his own head trying to figure things out is not working. It's no coincidence why Prof Triathletes are constantly praising their coaches. And heck, at least if he had a coach and still had a bad performance, he'd have someone to blame other than Lionel!!

GET A FREAKING COACH LIONEL!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Dammit Lionel....maybe why your body was off is you did an IM in Tremblant on empty 7 weeks ago and you did all these 3/4 IM days too close to the race. I think he says it in the video.

In fairness to the Sanders overhype, Kienle under performed too as did did Frodo and so did Gomez.

This is the simplest explanation and most likely the core issue that sabotaged Lionel's race. I was on course at IMMT and I passed Lionel on the out & back. It made a strong impression on me because he looked like a shattered man in that last 10k. His eyes were like saucers, he was gaunt, and quite honestly; he looked like a man traveling through Dante's Inferno. He knew that the nutrition mistakes leading into Tremblant, and then driving his engine on empty for 140.6 miles, did damage. And that's why he did the 3/4 IM test days.

I'm a Lionel fan, but he needs to hand the reigns over to a Team that consists of a coach, nutritionist, and some Tri-focused training partners. Lionel by himself in his own head trying to figure things out is not working. It's no coincidence why Prof Triathletes are constantly praising their coaches. And heck, at least if he had a coach and still had a bad performance, he'd have someone to blame other than Lionel!!

GET A FREAKING COACH LIONEL!!!

Lionel can pick from the following:

• Mark Allen
  • Dave Scott
  • Paula Newby Fraser
  • Peter Reid
  • Chrissie Wellington
  • Frodo
  • Sebi

I don't think he will listen to anyone who has not won Kona. The problem with the last two is they are active and will have a conflict of interest, but I bet he would listen to them if they were not racing
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [Testrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, race will change again next year so using the strategy that might have allowed him to win this year won’t work. That much I have learned in watching Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kropelnicki would be PERFECT for Sanders. That’s an outstanding idea.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:
davejustdave wrote:
sjn wrote:

I as well.

Has the age of the Ironman Domestique arrived?

Sure seemed like it.

Then again, that has happened in the past with the swim. I recall reading Sanders himself did something similar in the swim.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders goes home DEVASTATED! [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
I remember when Mark Allen kept coming 2nd to Dave Scott, year after year. Imagine the critics here on Slowtwitch who would have been criticizing his training approach, calling him a loser etc. And the critics are sitting at home, behind their keyboards, writing out the best way for him to improve.

It's so disgusting when people here go after someone who had a bad day and then gloat over it.

If he just kept coming in second to Lange over and over, we could accept that Sanders was great, but Lange was just greater. Almost nobody's saying Lucy Charles is a loser and needs more training discipline. She's just unfortunate to be living in the zenith of the Ryf era. But Lionel went full Leroy Jenkins with his training plan after last year and didn't come close to repeating last year's performance.

"Bad Days" don't just happen. There's always an underlying cause. Sometimes its out of your control like illness or a mechanical or a random wreck/injury. Most often it's the result of improper preparation or execution. I'm a Sanders fan, and was hoping (against reason) that he would pull off the win. But I have to say, if he just writes yesterday's performance off as "a bad day" and doesn't reflect on his preparation and execution, he's a bigger idiot than his critics say he is. I doubt he'll do that, though. Nobody's a bigger Lionel Sanders critic than Lionel Sanders. One thing I like about him is that he takes his failures head-on. I just hope he takes a more measured approach with his adjustments next year.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Oct 14, 18 7:32
Quote Reply

Prev Next