Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
synthetic wrote:
TriJayhawkRyan wrote:
Thinking about signing up. Work in with a work trip.
Coaching a few local CA athletes that are signed up.
Course and surroundings look awesome!


Unless you are shooting for WC 70.3 ... Do HITS a week before


Just curious, and not something I would plan for given lack of vacation days left, but is there a chance this may boost registration for the Sprint/Oly at HITS for those arriving early and wanting a warm-up race?

this maybe a smart idea, so you know what you are in for


http://www.coupleofathletes.com
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [connan23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In as well and with all the discussion about cold water and cold temps sounds like my kind of race. Did 70.3 in Galveston this year and lots of complaining about the cold and I was happy and went better than in any other half before.



I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [connan23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in So Cal and have done HITS and Desert Tri here almost every year for the last 5+ years.

Generally speaking, the water is on the colder side, 50s~60's but it's never bothered me since that is close to the ocean temp in So Cal anyway. They've let you wear booties in the past and once I started using those, it made a big difference. After the swim, I've never considered it a "cold" race. La Quinta/Palm Desert even in December will be in the 70's and it's even been in the low 80's when I've finished the run in the past.

It can get extremely windy out there. So windy that the giant swim buoy's were blown off the lake and off into the desert never to be found again. At Desert Tri this year, the day before, the wind was so bad it blew over the bank of porta-potties. It can also have no wind. The bike course is dead flat. There can be/has been wild dogs that will chase you on the bike. They've gotten better about pre-rounding them up before the race. Because it's flat, drafting has always been an issue at HITS/Desert Tri. When I say flat, I mean when I did the HITS 70.3, I had 680ft and the Desert Tri Olympic bike is just over 200ft.

In the last few years they have been forcing everyone to pre-soak their wetsuits in a kiddie pool full of chlorinated water for 30 sec. Then they put a tag on your wetsuit. Usually you do this the day before and at the last Desert Tri they had a "coat check" tent where you left your suit and picked it up race morning. Something about some invasive snail they don't want in that lake. They have also let you do the pre-dipping the morning of, but I feel like most did it the day before. Also, because they have to verify everyone's wetsuit has a "tag" (from being dipped) they were not letting people do a warmup swim. This has been hit and miss since they did let us warmup at Desert Tri, but not at HITS.

The lake is not very deep and at Desert Tri this year, you could almost stand up. Some people will swim very close to the shore so they can stand any time they want on "out" portion. Coming back you are more in the middle of the lake and can't stand up. Also, it's not really a "lake" - it's a man-made reservoir.

The run for both HITS/Desert Tri is either on the roads near the lake or around the lake itself so I have no idea what the run at the golf course will be like. I've never been to that golf course so I can't comment.
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [Orange Curtain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And it appears to have sold out. That's... unexpected....

Next races on the schedule: Phil's Cookie Fondo 2019, IMAZ 2019
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wonder if wilmington transfers put it over the edge
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, definitely a surprise. Quick estimate based on the participant list is about 1800 signed up.

I doubt HITS ever even hit 500 for their 70.3.

Another example of the power of the Ironman brand

--------------------------------------------
Team Wattie Ink
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
And it appears to have sold out. That's... unexpected....

What the fuck... serves me right for waiting to pull the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [Multisportsdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless you have a newer participant list, the one on the website was last updated August 8th. I registered early tier 4 in September and I'm not on there.

Benjamin Deal - Rookie Pro - Instagram - Andy Potts Racing
Deals on Wheels - Race reports, pictures, sponsors, and more!
Most recent blog post: St. George 70.3 Race Report
Most recent video: How I built a race ready triathlon bike on a budget
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no, that's the one I looked at...70 pages. So, likely closer to 2000?

--------------------------------------------
Team Wattie Ink
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [Multisportsdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd bet its even more. A big 70.3 with same pro prize pool (texas 70.3), had something like 2700 registered, though 4-500 DNS'd.

Benjamin Deal - Rookie Pro - Instagram - Andy Potts Racing
Deals on Wheels - Race reports, pictures, sponsors, and more!
Most recent blog post: St. George 70.3 Race Report
Most recent video: How I built a race ready triathlon bike on a budget
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [Multisportsdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I doubt HITS ever even hit 500 for their 70.3. //

I think you mistakenly put an xtra 0 on that estimate, I doubt they ever cracked a 100 for that race.
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I doubt HITS ever even hit 500 for their 70.3. //

I think you mistakenly put an xtra 0 on that estimate, I doubt they ever cracked a 100 for that race.

so, I was curious, and the two years I did the HITS Palm Springs 70.3:
2013: 394 total
2015: 373 total

yes, I keep track of this stuff ;)

--------------------------------------------
Team Wattie Ink
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [Multisportsdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just counted 2017 results for the 1/2 and it was 130 Individuals, were you also counting relays??
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [Multisportsdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Multisportsdad wrote:
monty wrote:
I doubt HITS ever even hit 500 for their 70.3. //

I think you mistakenly put an xtra 0 on that estimate, I doubt they ever cracked a 100 for that race.


so, I was curious, and the two years I did the HITS Palm Springs 70.3:
2013: 394 total
2015: 373 total

yes, I keep track of this stuff ;)

Those were near peak years of triathlon in the US. Monty's 2017 stat is much more relevant.

808 > NYC > PDX
2019: 70.3 Canada, 70.3 WC, IMLou
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [Multisportsdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now that you got me to go look at the HITS results page, I see myself in the 2012 sprint race, but I'm almost certain I did it before that year too? Are they missing some years in there?? I looked after 2012 and dont see myself, and I would have only done that sprint race back then, so is my memory fading, or did they not put all the years results up??

And that 2012 race brought back a lot of memories of that race. They guy that won cheated on the bike and cut the run course(told hits, but they didnt care), but the guy who just caught me in the last 400m was a legit racer, pretty tough racing for the 55+ for sure...He is the guy that just beat Dan in the 60+ in Redondo, so glad to see he is still at it. Perhaps next year I can give him a good race once again...(-;
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's their results link: http://hitstriathlonseries.com/palm-springs-ca-results

Could you be confusing it with Desert Tri?

--------------------------------------------
Team Wattie Ink
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [Multisportsdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found that page, my question is was there a race the year before? It was definitely not the desert tri, and I remember starting a thread about it. I was leading the sprint race and the course was still not set up, saw the truck with all the cones go racing past me 6 miles in!! Then they marked the turnaround of the bike a 1/2 mile before then spot they said it was going to be(and on their map), after I had already gone ahead.

Anyway I know it was not the 2012 race, so seems like it had to be earlier. I will see if I can find the thread and that will date it.. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [Multisportsdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, found it, there was a race in 2011, and I remembered it pretty well, here is the thread and report I wrote back then:

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...s_P3663911/#p3663911
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Now that you got me to go look at the HITS results page, I see myself in the 2012 sprint race, but I'm almost certain I did it before that year too? Are they missing some years in there?? I looked after 2012 and dont see myself, and I would have only done that sprint race back then, so is my memory fading, or did they not put all the years results up??

And that 2012 race brought back a lot of memories of that race. They guy that won cheated on the bike and cut the run course(told hits, but they didnt care), but the guy who just caught me in the last 400m was a legit racer, pretty tough racing for the 55+ for sure...He is the guy that just beat Dan in the 60+ in Redondo, so glad to see he is still at it. Perhaps next year I can give him a good race once again...(-;


Ha I remember the 2012 race and the thread about the cheater.

Good times....

I think racing a 70.3 in PS in December is nuts, but it sold out so WTF do I know
Last edited by: ChrisM: Oct 11, 18 16:05
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
I think racing a 70.3 in PS in December is nuts, but it sold out so WTF do I know

The day before this race was announced, I would have agreed with you 100%. The day this race was announced, my mind instantly went to "shit, do a 70.3 right before all the Holiday parties to keep a touch more fitness through January 1st when training really starts."

This is definitely a comment on the pull of Ironman but really, to me, its knowing that there would likely be a good number of athletes showing vs HITS.
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
ChrisM wrote:

I think racing a 70.3 in PS in December is nuts, but it sold out so WTF do I know


The day before this race was announced, I would have agreed with you 100%. The day this race was announced, my mind instantly went to "shit, do a 70.3 right before all the Holiday parties to keep a touch more fitness through January 1st when training really starts."

This is definitely a comment on the pull of Ironman but really, to me, its knowing that there would likely be a good number of athletes showing vs HITS.

Yeah slap a WTC sticker on it suddenly a swim in Lake Cahuilla and gravelly and rutted farm roads with wild dogs sounds a lot more palatable LOL
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
ChrisM wrote:

I think racing a 70.3 in PS in December is nuts, but it sold out so WTF do I know


The day before this race was announced, I would have agreed with you 100%. The day this race was announced, my mind instantly went to "shit, do a 70.3 right before all the Holiday parties to keep a touch more fitness through January 1st when training really starts."

This is definitely a comment on the pull of Ironman but really, to me, its knowing that there would likely be a good number of athletes showing vs HITS.


Yeah slap a WTC sticker on it suddenly a swim in Lake Cahuilla and gravelly and rutted farm roads with wild dogs sounds a lot more palatable LOL

Bahahahah is that really what the roads are like? I assumed it would have been nicely paved like Desert Tri (or at least Desert Tri pics I've seen online)
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's probably the same roads. Although I haven't been out there in years, maybe a little bit of exaggeration, but they are farm roads further east and south you go. Just feels like meth country :P
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
It's probably the same roads. Although I haven't been out there in years, maybe a little bit of exaggeration, but they are farm roads further east and south you go. Just feels like meth country :P

This makes me feel so much better about missing the sell out... Doesn't sound like horseshit fitness would have gotten me a PR.
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe it is a testament to the pull of the brand, but like has been stated by another poster, it is about the competition for me. If I sign up for a race with 100 people, its probably unlikely that I will get the chance to "race" against anyone. I'm not fast. However, at an IM branded race with 2000 competitors, I will more than likely end up side-by-side with another competitor, which will give me that slight adrenaline boost and allow me to push my body a bit harder. For me, that is what it is about, not the quality of the roads or nature of the course. All the people competing on that deal are dealing with the same problems. I sign up because I want to compare myself to all of the others on the day, on that course. I'll gladly pay a bit of a premium for that over half the price for a low key, more local grassroots race with 100 competitors.

Or, I could just be a sucker. Who knows.
Last edited by: Pro_Sandbagger: Oct 12, 18 8:05
Quote Reply

Prev Next