Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2018 Kona Survival Guide - All new 40th Anniversary Race Edition [Crowey56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crowey56 wrote:
Hey Mate
Great Report.
I am coming over from Oz, second time to Kona
Can I use a credit card with pay wave facilities?

Well, it is Kona so we're not exactly on the cutting edge of technology. With that said, I have seen the logo at a few (very few) places throughout the west side. So there are some places. Otherwise you'll have to use it the old fashioned way, swipe an actual credit card and sign with the stupid pens.

---------------------------------------------------------
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -- A fake Albert Einstein "quote"
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Kona Survival Guide - All new 40th Anniversary Race Edition [KonaCoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just an airline and bike case update.

Many of you will be coming to Kona via Honolulu and parts unknown. That means a ride on Hawaiian's B-717's for the most part. Veteran's know that Hawaiian has always refused soft sided bike cases. Refused them altogether. That has changed just for October. They will now accept soft sided bike cases on their flights now to accommodate this race and the Xterra World Championship.

After October for those lingering? Back into your hard-sided cases or cardboard. I didn't make these rules. ;)

Details:

https://www.hawaiianairlines.com/...ptance-policy-waiver

So if you're doing the Hawaiian Double (IMWC followed by the Xterra World Championship), you're set with soft sided travelling. And yes, the Hawaiian Double is a real thing with real prize money and awards (Lowest combined times between the two races).

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -- A fake Albert Einstein "quote"
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Kona Survival Guide - All new 40th Anniversary Race Edition [KonaCoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Added Mountain Road Cycles to the bike shop list for those up north (Thanks for the reminder).

Added the soft side bike case info for Hawaiian airlines to the original post.

Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Kona Survival Guide - All new 40th Anniversary Race Edition [trimac2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trimac2 wrote:
Do you know what roads will be closed during the race? My wife and kids are staying at the Hilton which is right off the queen k. I was thinking they would take a taxi into town to see me finish the bike and see me on the run. But I'm wondering if this is even possible since traveling on queen k might be impossible?

Thought KonaCoffee would answer this one, but maybe he missed it. Queen K will be closed. Access from Waikoloa Beach Resort area is only from north resort road exit to Waikoloa Village a road and upper highway into Kona. I had a friend staying out there that volunteered for an afternoon shift in Kona and was able to use this route. Things get very backed up crossing here. This is the spot where police traffic control put a van in front of Matt Russell and took him out with serious injuries during last years race. My wife was racing and of course came through later in the day and had a near miss with a vehicle crossing here:( Just mentioning this to describe how hectic things can get here. If she was taking a taxi she might be able to arrange for pickup on the mountain side of the road to avoid a long line of waiting vehicles. Taxi from WBR and over upper road could approach $80.

Here is a link to online IM road closure map: http://m.ironman.com/...0c830bf6c1f79aa.ashx
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Kona Survival Guide - All new 40th Anniversary Race Edition [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
trimac2 wrote:
Do you know what roads will be closed during the race? My wife and kids are staying at the Hilton which is right off the queen k. I was thinking they would take a taxi into town to see me finish the bike and see me on the run. But I'm wondering if this is even possible since traveling on queen k might be impossible?

Thought KonaCoffee would answer this one, but maybe he missed it. Queen K will be closed. Access from Waikoloa Beach Resort area is only from north resort road exit to Waikoloa Village a road and upper highway into Kona. I had a friend staying out there that volunteered for an afternoon shift in Kona and was able to use this route. Things get very backed up crossing here. This is the spot where police traffic control put a van in front of Matt Russell and took him out with serious injuries during last years race. My wife was racing and of course came through later in the day and had a near miss with a vehicle crossing here:( Just mentioning this to describe how hectic things can get here. If she was taking a taxi she might be able to arrange for pickup on the mountain side of the road to avoid a long line of waiting vehicles. Taxi from WBR and over upper road could approach $80.

Here is a link to online IM road closure map: http://m.ironman.com/...0c830bf6c1f79aa.ashx

Yup I missed it. Thanks Summit.

So getting from the resort to town is a bit of a hassle on race day. Chat with the hotel and see if they can arrange a taxi/Uber/Lyft pickup at the heliport by the Queen K on Waikoloa Rd. That's the big 4 way intersection by the timeshares. Otherwise, taxis may be able to get her at the hotel but it will be an exercise in extreme patience getting across the highway as 2,400+ athletes head to/from Hawi.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Upper Palani Road is open again for those who are currently in town. A solo car crash closed it for 16 hours yesterday. Traffic should be easier out on the Queen K as a result.

Please be careful when riding that highway on bikes, there's very little shoulder in most areas and none in others.

Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Kona Survival Guide - All new 40th Anniversary Race Edition [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you! Sounds like it's going to be a pain in the ass for my family to get to the finish area on race day. I'm thinking they should just come with me in the AM. Any suggestions for them to do and stay cool? Also, I'm assuming highway will be open on race AM when I leave at 4am? Where should I park?
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Kona Survival Guide - All new 40th Anniversary Race Edition [trimac2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trimac2 wrote:
Thank you! Sounds like it's going to be a pain in the ass for my family to get to the finish area on race day. I'm thinking they should just come with me in the AM. Any suggestions for them to do and stay cool? Also, I'm assuming highway will be open on race AM when I leave at 4am? Where should I park?

No problem getting into town at 4 a.m. As for your family, difficulty getting to the finish area depends on where you’re coming from. Remember that the entire Kuakini section south of Hualalai gets reopened after everyone has gone through the initial out and back on the bike. There are plenty of lots to park in in that shopping area east of Kuakini and south of Palani. I wouldn’t want my family having to hang out all day unless you had a nice air-conditioned room at the King Kam.

If you’re staying up north, the “getting to town” thing is more of a pain - you pretty much have to use the upper road and then drop down any one of a myriad of roads to end up south of the Palani/Queen K intersection (Henry’s a good option). There’s also lots of parking in those upper areas (WalMart, Safeway, etc.) if they don’t mind a longish walk (and uphill going back).

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Kona Survival Guide - All new 40th Anniversary Race Edition [sneeuwaap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like she will have to cut across traffic Waikola rd then she should be fine getting into town...maybe park in Walmart. However, like you said crossing the highway is going to be difficult with all those bikes! I was hoping they could see me finish on the bike and parts of the run. But I'm think maybe she could get there before I finish and watch me come down ali'i drive. I'm guessing if you she left at 3pm from hotel the bike traffic getting accross Waikola rd might not be bad. I expect to finish around 6-7pm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In order to ride to Hawi on Wednesday before the race, is it feasible to get dropped off at Waikoloa Rd and ride from there?
I'm not wanting a long ride, just enough to check out the bike and take a look at that section of the course.
I'd get picked up in Hawi.
Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kona Coffee, et al. Any chance of parking the vehicle on Waikoloa road on the mountain side in the early AM so she won't have to drive across. Then take 190 (Mamalahoa Hway) to town.
KonaCoffee wrote:
SummitAK wrote:
trimac2 wrote:

Yup I missed it. Thanks Summit.

So getting from the resort to town is a bit of a hassle on race day. Chat with the hotel and see if they can arrange a taxi/Uber/Lyft pickup at the heliport by the Queen K on Waikoloa Rd. That's the big 4 way intersection by the timeshares. Otherwise, taxis may be able to get her at the hotel but it will be an exercise in extreme patience getting across the highway as 2,400+ athletes head to/from Hawi.

Karen ST Concierge
Last edited by: STConcierge: Oct 3, 18 13:44
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Kona Survival Guide - All new 40th Anniversary Race Edition [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably. That's also were folks wanting to spectate drive to as well. Look for temporary no parking signs just to be safe, and park well off the road but not so far you get boxed in. ;)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any idea what time the pool usually gets pretty busy? Trying to figure out the best time to get in some swims. I'm assuming, the earlier the better.... like right when it opens.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trimac2 wrote:

Depends upon when you're going to finish (more or less). Getting to the finish area isn't hard. What's hard is parking. You can park in the Sack-n-Save/Longs Drugs Parking Lot (IHOP as well). But the past two years they've kept an eye on spectator parking there. Or they can park down at Coconut Grove Market Place and walk to the finish.

AS for the highway at 4 am. Yes, it's still open. It'll start closing around 5 am or so depending upon the area (Palani Rd closes early as that's the first portion used and there are athletes walking on it).

Things to do in town. Lot's of places to eat. Bubba Gumps has a breakfast and a view of the swim. Coffee shops and walk to the palace grounds (or Kona Inn grounds). Later on Humpy's Ale house. Quite a few small eateries on the mauka side of Ali'i Drive that are tucked in behind the strip mall facades.

They can always go for a drive and visit Waimea or Head south to Honaunau/Captain Cook, the painted church, tour Greenwell Farms etc while you're grinding the climb from Mahukona. Then return to town and find a place to park and walk to T2 or the old hot corner (Hualalai and Alii Drive). That's a great viewing spot as well. You will go past it 3 times on the run. Great spot to see the race leaders turn onto Alii as well. 800 meters to the finish from there.

Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Kona Survival Guide - All new 40th Anniversary Race Edition [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Any idea what time the pool usually gets pretty busy? Trying to figure out the best time to get in some swims. I'm assuming, the earlier the better.... like right when it opens.

early is better. It'll be busy this time of the year. Swim in the ocean. ;)

Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Kona Survival Guide - All new 40th Anniversary Race Edition [KyleMcM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KyleMcM wrote:
In order to ride to Hawi on Wednesday before the race, is it feasible to get dropped off at Waikoloa Rd and ride from there?
I'm not wanting a long ride, just enough to check out the bike and take a look at that section of the course.
Thanks

Waikoloa Road to Hawai and back is a bit of a long ride. IF all you want to do is check out the climb to Hawi, drive to Mahukona (there's a park there. This is also where the road makes the 90 degree turn to Hawi), get dropped there and make the 7 mile climb. Then it's a almost all downhill shot back to Mahukona (as I said in the OP, there is a short descent into Hawi proper on the race, so you'll climb out of Hawi briefly before starting the rapid descent). Another alternative is to ride from Kawaihae. That way you get the climbing rollers to Mahukona and the crosswinds are the most annoying here. That's about a 30+ mile round trip.

OR ride one way, get coffee in Hawi and get picked up and drive back. ;)

Last edited by: KonaCoffee: Oct 4, 18 9:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KonaCoffee wrote:
KyleMcM wrote:
Thanks

Waikoloa Road to Hawai and back is a bit of a long ride. IF all you want to do is check out the climb to Hawi, drive to Mahukona (there's a park there. This is also where the road makes the 90 degree turn to Hawi), get dropped there and make the 7 mile climb. Then it's a almost all downhill shot back to Mahukona (as I said in the OP, there is a short descent into Hawi proper on the race, so you'll climb out of Hawi briefly before starting the rapid descent). Another alternative is to ride from Kawaihae. That way you get the climbing rollers to Mahukona and the crosswinds are the most annoying here. That's about a 30+ mile round trip.

OR ride one way, get coffee in Hawi and get picked up and drive back. ;)

Thanks for the info!
Yes, I do plan to ride one way to Hawi and get picked up there, then drive back.
Which store do I need to stop at for coffee? )
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Kona Survival Guide - All new 40th Anniversary Race Edition [KyleMcM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KyleMcM wrote:

Thanks for the info!
Yes, I do plan to ride one way to Hawi and get picked up there, then drive back.
Which store do I need to stop at for coffee? )

Once you're in Hawi on the main street there's the Kohala Coffee Mill. Bike friendly (enough), lean the bike against one of the walls. There are other spots of course, but that's the first one you'll come to. Both Hot and Cold drinks and food. More or less across from the Bamboo Restaurant. Hard to miss inbound to town.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Race Week Etiquette:

The PATH run launches in a few minutes officially kicking off race week in Kona.

As I pick out the gravel from my knees and hands I'd like to kindly remind a few (very few) miscreants among the Ironman Athletes in town:

It is not a good idea to run into a volunteer from behind while he's carrying two 5-gallon jugs of water for the aide stations. No matter what your race training is, the race is less than a week away now. Your paced run on Ali'i Drive isn't going to be put off by taking three steps to the side and letting people know you're coming. There's now an aide station short on water from the start of the race. Oh and yelling at the person you just knocked own doesn't aid your cause.

Next, if you're on your bicycle yelling at runners on Ali`i Drive for running on the "wrong" side of the road, you might want to ensure you're all riding single file as state law requires rather than 5 abreast across the full width of the road (which wasn't closed). That's how accidents happen this time of the year.

The other 99.999% of you can go about your day as we head into taper. Crystal clear skies and a great day for the charity run today.

Enjoy.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw two instance this morning of cyclists pulled over on Palani by the cops. All before 8 am. Good on the cops.

And there was no shortage of people in aero on ali’i. Smh....

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pele would have seen that.

I so hope Pele goes medieval on the idiot's a.se.

"Find a way, not an excuse". Goony, Kona, 2009
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Kona Survival Guide - All new 40th Anniversary Race Edition [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
I saw two instance this morning of cyclists pulled over on Palani by the cops. All before 8 am. Good on the cops.

And there was no shortage of people in aero on ali’i. Smh....

This has actually been a fairly uneventful lead up to Ironman Week this year. I wasn't exactly expecting to be sent sprawling with a back hit at 6:00 am though.

The week is young. Stay safe and ride sensibly SlowTwitch readers. T-minus 6 days and counting.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any lap pools near Waikoloa village away from the craziness in Kona?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trimac2 wrote:
Any lap pools near Waikoloa village away from the craziness in Kona?

Waikoloa and Waimea get the short(er) shrift when it comes to public pools in Hawaii County.

Your choices are:

Hapuna Beach. Ocean swim approximately 1/2 mile from end to end. It's a state park and has a small charge for parking unless you have a valid Hawaii State Driver's license or State Id.

Mauna Lani Resort: The Mauna Lani has a health club with an extremely nice lap pool. They used to have a day pass available. Enquire at the Health Club. It's not on the hotel grounds but very nearby. 808-885-7765.

Hawaii Preparatory Academy (HPA) in Waimea: Very limited hours where it's open to the public: 12- 1pm. Masters Swim M-F 5:45 - 7 am. $3 per visit.

Kohala Swimming Pool. Kohala is the town after Hawi on the Akoni Pule Highway. Yeah it's a ways from Waikoloa, 54-3853 Aokni Puli Highway. 10-12:45 and 2:00-5:45p. It has a reputation for being "cold". Cold is a relative term. Lake Coeur d`Alene is cold, this may be "very cool" for Hawaii. This is also another county pool. Our tax dollars keep it open. You're welcome.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where is the best place to look up the wind forecast? I’m trying to decide between two front wheel options, an enve 4 vs a hed 6. I’m small and on 650 wheels.
Quote Reply

Prev Next