Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2018 Kona Survival Guide - All new 40th Anniversary Race Edition [KonaCoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for taking the time.....great advice.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Kona Survival Guide - All new 40th Anniversary Race Edition [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By the way,

Anyone interested in seeing the effect the spring and summer's volcanic eruption had on Hawaii island triathlon go check out the Ultraman World Championship bike course on their wesbite.

http://ultramanlive.com/...courses-day-1-day-2/

---------------------------------------------------------
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -- A fake Albert Einstein "quote"
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Kona Survival Guide - All new 40th Anniversary Race Edition [KonaCoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You must have received some feedback on the run course change info as it looks like you deleted most references in the original post. The course change is now shown online though it wasn't mentioned in today's IMWC athlete welcome email.

http://www.ironman.com/~/media/2015123ff4094d2e840fadf28f7555ab/18konarun3.pdf
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Kona Survival Guide - All new 40th Anniversary Race Edition [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
You must have received some feedback on the run course change info as it looks like you deleted most references in the original post. The course change is now shown online though it wasn't mentioned in today's IMWC athlete welcome email.

What's the local scoop as to why the change in the run course? If I was racing I think I'd certainly run down to the church instead of more time on the Queen K including running past the Energy Lab before getting a chance to go down.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Kona Survival Guide - All new 40th Anniversary Race Edition [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like with many races these days it is probably permitting related. The new QK is now a divided highway until north of the airport access road intersection. So there is no longer a driveway from the mauka side of the highway to the NELA access road. The medians are being filled with large lava rocks so no easy crossings. This seems to be the reasoning for the new course. Not sure what the final NELA access road intersection will look like - closed permanently, right-in right-out only, etc. But seems the new run will still be using the mauka side of the QK while maybe bikes (and vehicles?) use the makai side.

Mark Lemmon wrote:
SummitAK wrote:

What's the local scoop as to why the change in the run course? If I was racing I think I'd certainly run down to the church instead of more time on the Queen K including running past the Energy Lab before getting a chance to go down.
Last edited by: SummitAK: Sep 20, 18 20:08
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Kona Survival Guide - All new 40th Anniversary Race Edition [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
SummitAK wrote:

When they widened the QK, they eliminated the left turn into the elab from the northbound lanes of the QK.

Now you will run northbound to the next signal and turn left down the frontage road that connects to road into the elab.

Since that out/back adds about a mile, it was taken out of the out/back on alii.

I ran that new section last week and would concur with you - prefer more alii over more QK :)

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Last edited by: owtbac86: Sep 20, 18 18:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Here's another place to exercise some caution heading southbound on the QK at the Hina Lani signal.

That post in the bike lane is the location of the button for pedestrians to engage the walk signal.

Probably a good location to pay attention and not be impaled.

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Last edited by: owtbac86: Sep 20, 18 19:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, Any notes on good places to hire bikes (cruiser or hybrid) for the week. The girlfriend would like to be able to transport herself round if i have taken the car.

Also, I will be staying outside of town. Is it possible to park anywhere nearer to the town on race day? Or is it all going to be crazy and better to take a taxi?
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Kona Survival Guide - All new 40th Anniversary Race Edition [owtbac86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
owtbac86 wrote:

Here's another place to exercise some caution heading southbound on the QK at the Hina Lani signal.

That post in the bike lane is the location of the button for pedestrians to engage the walk signal.

All that work upgrading the QK and this post ends up installed in the clear zone. I have no idea how that design was signed off on. A vehicle will take it out in no time and as you’ve pointed out, it is a terrible hazard for cyclists:(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If anyone makes it to Hilo around the race week for a visit, I highly recommend you stop by Two Ladies Kitchen for a large variety of Mochi (essentially sweet rice cake), some of which includes fruit inside. Is it worth driving over there just for that? Yes. But you could just stop there for a snack if you are also driving to the national park (through the saddle route).

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Kona Survival Guide - All new 40th Anniversary Race Edition [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
owtbac86 wrote:

All that work upgrading the QK and this post ends up installed in the clear zone. I have no idea how that design was signed off on. A vehicle will take it out in no time and as you’ve pointed out, it is a terrible hazard for cyclists:(

A pedestrian crossing where there's no place for the pedestrian to travel but the clear zone. :) Well, it is difficult and expensive to build roads through lava fields. Wish I was running in that clear zone today.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Sep 21, 18 10:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
SummitAK wrote:

The Queen K is a divided highway now in that area with a large center median all the way to the airport. The new construction has a subtance on it that makes crossing it a bit painful. (A'a lava rock).

The past decade or 2 the run occurred on the mauka (north bound) side and turned into NELA (The energy lab) at the then left turn lane (no center divider). That's no longer possible. First because of the large center median and second because its filled with A'a lava rock. Also the old entrance to the energy lab is going away. Whether it actually vanishes in time for this race or not is debatable.

So that left the choice of changing the course or conducting the run on the makai side. The makai side is where the bicycles are. And that's not a good mix. So why not switch the runners to the makai side and bikes to the mauka? Because the old entrance to the lab is going away. As of Wednesday it was still open for right turn outs only, but as I said, it is vanishing.

I have mixed emotions about the change. I honestly hated the Ali`i Drive run except the in town part. I always got faster when I got on the Queen K, much faster. But it is an iconic part of the run. The run director (one of the owner's of The Big Island Running Company) was left with few options really.

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -- A fake Albert Einstein "quote"
Last edited by: KonaCoffee: Sep 21, 18 10:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:

I actually wrote that part of the post before the new map was up because I found out about it before they made the map. Thanks for the link. I'll edit the post to include it. :)

Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Kona Survival Guide - All new 40th Anniversary Race Edition [owtbac86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
owtbac86 wrote:

Thanks for that.

I'll edit the danger zones accordingly.

Be careful out there. Most of us haven't been riding out of town since the widening project started and we're a bit behind. I missed that post (both literally and figuratively) when I surveyed the area last month. I'll run another check this weekend.

Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Kona Survival Guide - All new 40th Anniversary Race Edition [msrixon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bikeworks and Velofix Hawaii. Call both Bikeworks locations.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Temperature Alerts!

For those of you in town this week or perhaps coming in this weekend, be aware that temperatures and humidity are unusually high even for this time of the year in Kona. Our natural air conditioner, the trade winds, is on the frtiz atm. They're scheduled to return sometime this weekend or early next week. Hydrate regularly and take extra precautions if you're going to be out training.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KonaCoffee wrote:
4. If you need a bike shop your choices are VeloFix Hawaii (mobile bike shop) or one of the two Bike Works locations (brick and mortar).

Don't forget Mountain Road Cycles in Waimea (about 1hr north of Kona).

https://mountainroadcycles.com

Repairs and rentals. A small shop, so not as much schwag, nutrition/hydration, etc... as BikeWorks, but great service (and it's by the Brewhaus).
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Kona Survival Guide - All new 40th Anniversary Race Edition [808nation] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
808nation wrote:
KonaCoffee wrote:
4. If you need a bike shop your choices are VeloFix Hawaii (mobile bike shop) or one of the two Bike Works locations (brick and mortar).

Don't forget Mountain Road Cycles in Waimea (about 1hr north of Kona).

https://mountainroadcycles.com

Repairs and rentals. A small shop, so not as much schwag, nutrition/hydration, etc... as BikeWorks, but great service (and it's by the Brewhaus).

One of my favorite Bike shops. I didn't put them on the liste because they are up in Waimea is all. But they're a great group of people and a nice shop. Thanks for the reminder. Oh and yeah, drop the bike off and have lunch and an Overboard IPA, what more could you ask for?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KonaCoffee wrote:

haha i think by Hire he meant rent a bike.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Kona Survival Guide - All new 40th Anniversary Race Edition [Cookiebuilder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cookiebuilder wrote:
KonaCoffee wrote:

Both Bikeworks and Velofix rent bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Updated the original post adding the Kohanaiki turn as a bike hazard southbound on the Queen K and the crosswalk sign post in the middle of the shoulder at Hina Lani (Costco Turn)

Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Kona Survival Guide - All new 40th Anniversary Race Edition [Cookiebuilder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cookiebuilder wrote:
KonaCoffee wrote:

Yes he did. My family is actually Scottish. In fact, I'm a first generation American. I knew exactly what he meant. As summit pointed out BikeWorks and Velofix both have rental fleets. They're a bit busy this time of the year though so I'd jump on it asap.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dig Me Beach has an actual name, it's neither Dig Me Beach nor Kamakahonu (that's on the other side of the pier btw), the beach real name is Kaiakeakua beach.

This. So much this. It drives me nuts every time I hear it referred to as Dig Me. Triathletes don't get to rename a beach based on use of it one day a year.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you know what roads will be closed during the race? My wife and kids are staying at the Hilton which is right off the queen k. I was thinking they would take a taxi into town to see me finish the bike and see me on the run. But I'm wondering if this is even possible since traveling on queen k might be impossible?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Mate
Great Report.
I am coming over from Oz, second time to Kona
Can I use a credit card with pay wave facilities?
Quote Reply

Prev Next