Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: George Bush should point at, and make fun of the press. [armytriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you even read?

no i just said that for fun.

Well you are easily entertained aren't you?

of course it is. the myth of the liberal media is perfect cover for any bullshit the right wants to pull.
Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?

someone calls em on it - it's just the 'liberal media'

brilliant. wish we'd thought of it.

You are just to easy.

Koppel and Brokaw: Health care is a right

Larry Elder

Ted Koppel, who formerly hosted "Nightline," and Tom Brokaw, who formerly hosted the "NBC Nightly News," recently sat down with NBC's Tim Russert on "Meet the Press."

(By way of background, Russert, the senior vice president and Washington, D.C., bureau chief for NBC News, once worked for New York Democratic Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan and New York Gov. Mario Cuomo. Meanwhile, across the dial, ABC promoted former Clinton aide George Stephanopolous of "This Week" to chief Washington correspondent at ABC News. But we digress.)

With Koppel and Brokaw's "retirement," one wonders whether they might be careless and reveal their liberal bias in favor of big government, high taxes and regulation. They didn't disappoint. Remember former Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry said, "Health care should be a right, not a privilege"? Koppel and Brokaw apparently agree.

Koppel: " . . . [W]e have been priding ourselves on having the best medical care in the world -- and you know something? You can get the best medical care in the world, he can get the best medical care in the world, I can. Most Americans can't. And there are 43 million Americans who aren't getting any medical care at all. That is a scandal."

Note Koppel made no distinction between those without medical care and those without medical insurance.

Russert should have said, "I think you mean there are 43 million Americans without medical insurance. And even the term 'American' should be taken with a grain of salt. For, out of the 43 million, this includes approximately 10 million people here illegally. Furthermore, the 43 million includes a large number of young, healthy Americans who decided to keep the money otherwise spent on premiums. And of that 43 million, Ted, approximately 20 million go without health-care insurance for four months or less. So when you get down to it, the hard-core number of Americans without health-care insurance is probably 10 to 15 million Americans, and out of a population of nearly 280 million, do we really want to call this a crisis?"

Russert might have continued, "Furthermore, Ted, by law, any hospital that accepts government funds -- including Medicare and Medicaid -- must treat indigents in its ER. And don't forget about Medicaid, under which poor people get health care through taxpayers. To say nothing of free clinics found in virtually every city, no- or low-cost vaccination programs, and programs under which drug companies give free drugs to those who cannot afford it." But Russert said nothing.

Now, on to Mr. Brokaw.

Brokaw: "That [medical care] is getting attention at least, where people are trying to come to grips with that. And what was so stunning to me was that the Bush administration, after winning a very sizeable popular vote in the 2004 election, put as its highest priority the reform of Social Security and not health care in America, because I thought that's where most people were concerned."

I almost fell out of my chair.

Honestly, did Brokaw, following Bush's victory in 2004, expect the president to announce "Hillarycare" as his top priority!!??? Yeah, Kerry promised this, but the president promised to reform Social Security. Pardon Bush for attempting to fulfill a campaign promise. And pardon Bush for at least voicing Republican principles that our health-care system suffers from too much government interference, rather than too little.

One more word about the former "Nightline" host's "Meet the Press" interview: Remember, Koppel said, you have the best medical care, Tim, and you do, Tom, and I do, but most Americans don't. News flash for Mr. Koppel: Super-rich guys like you possess the power to get more, bigger, better, faster. That's why so many people aspire to wealth.

This goes to the huge issue of media bias and its influence on how people feel, think and vote. Two years ago, a UCLA political scientist named Tim Groseclose studied media bias. He certainly anticipated a leftward tilt, "because surveys have shown that reporters tend to vote more Democrat than Republican." But the magnitude of the leftward bias surprised even him. His co-author, Jeff Milyo, said, "There is a quantifiable and significant bias in that nearly all of them [major media outlets] lean to the left."

Brokaw and Koppel's attitudes explain the number of "news" pieces showing the allegedly excellent health-care coverage Europeans and Canadians receive. This explains why, for example, during televised discussions over health care, you rarely see a free market talking head opposing price controls, pushing for less regulation and urging more private sector competition.

No, Koppel, Brokaw and Russert (by his silence), effectively say: Health care is a right; taxpayers are morally obligated to pay for it; and Bush turned his back on voters by not supporting Hillarycare.

But then, there's no such thing as media bias.
Quote Reply
Re: George Bush should point at, and make fun of the press. [jhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, thanks for that witty repartee. I don't think I could've come up with such a retort.
Quote Reply
Re: George Bush should point at, and make fun of the press. [Startmeup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is too easy..

In its December 13 edition, the Weekly Standard reports that a pair of university professors has employed a unique research technique that is precise enough to assign actual bias values to each media outlet examined.

Developed by Tim Groseclose of UCLA and Jeffrey Milyo of the University of Missouri, the study is called, “A Measure of Media Bias,” and it reportedly measures with some objectivity the political leanings of publishers and broadcasters of hard news.

According to Robert J. Barro, the Paul M. Warburg Professor of Economics at Harvard University, who discussed the project with the Standard, the professors “use a clever statistical technique to construct an objective measure of conservative or liberal bias in the news coverage of major U.S. television and radio stations, newspapers, magazines and the Internet.”

Barro, who is also a senior fellow at the Hoover Institution at Stanford University, said the study illustrates “that the liberal inclination of the mainstream media is clear.”

Barro explained to the Standard that Groseclose and Milyo have developed a variation of the ratings of U.S. Congressional voting records issued by Americans for Democratic Action (ADA). It’s a 0-100 scale – the higher the score, the more liberal the position.

The well known rating system – when applied to the congress – uses a calculus that among other things determines how often congressmen and senators favorably mention 200 prominent think tanks in speeches. Those lawmakers referring favorably to conservative think tanks achieve a score skewed to the conservative or lower end of the ADA scale. Those referring favorably to liberal think tanks move up the scale – into the more liberal zone.

The researchers simply gauged the tendency of 20 prominent media outlets to cite favorably those same think tanks in news stories. The theory is that Media outlets, like the lawmakers, which refer favorably to conservative or liberal think tanks, move up and down the scale accordingly.

Whether the alchemy is foolproof or not, the results are telling. According to Groseclose and Milyo, the most liberally biased news product is the Wall Street Journal, with a rating of 85.1.

The New York Times’ rating of 73.7 puts it even with Dan Rather and the CBS Evening News – the most biased news program on television.

Meanwhile, Fox News with Brit Hume and The Washington Times rank as the most conservative, with ratings of 39.7 and 35.4 respectively.

Some mainstream outlets came out of the alchemy as very middle-of-the-road. For example, ABC’s Good Morning, America scored a rating of 56.1; CNN News Night with Aaron Brown a 56.0; and the NewsHour with Jim Lehrer a 55.8 rating.

The only Internet journalist put through the ringer, Matt Drudge and his popular “DrudgeReport,” was just left-of-center, with a rating of 60.4.

Here’s a run down on how top media outlets scored:

• Wall Street Journal 85.1

• New York Times 73.7

• CBS Evening News 73.7

• Los Angeles Times – 70.0

• CBS Early Show – 66.6

• Washington Post – 66.6

• Newsweek – 66.3

• NPR Morning Edition – 66.3

• US News and World Report – 65.8

• Time Magazine – 65.4

• NBC Today Show – 64.0

• USA Today (the country’s No. 1 newspaper, in terms of circulation) – 63.4

• NBC Nightly News – 61.6

• ABC World News Tonight 61.0

• DrudgeReport 60.4

• ABC Good Morning America 56.1

• CNN with Aaron Brown 56.0

• News Hour with Jim Lehrer 55.8

• Fox News with Brit Hume 39.7

• Washington Times 35.4

A paradox, noted Barro, was that the major media is even more biased to the left than Democratic members of Congress.

• Quote Reply
    Re: George Bush should point at, and make fun of the press. [jhc] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    Can you even read?

Can you even make sense? What are talking about?
    Quote Reply
    Re: George Bush should point at, and make fun of the press. [armytriguy] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    In Reply To:
    You weren't paying attention to the whole CPB thing, where that consultant was surreptitiously hired to check for liberal bias on "Now with Bill Moyers" and other PBS shows. His standard? If the person disagreed with the Bush Administration, it counted as a liberal point of view. Even if the person saying it was Republican Chuck Hegel. I'm not making this up.

PLEASE. You really aren't going to use Bill Moyers as your shining example are you?

"The major example of this is PBS omnipresence Bill Moyers. In 1999, Knight-Ridder reporter Frank Greve revealed than in his moonlighting job as the president of a liberal foundation (the Florence and John Schumann Foundation), Moyers was funding left-wing activists for campaign finance “reform”– and then interviewing them on his show, giving them national exposure at taxpayer expense, with no disclosure.

In June of 1999, Moyers hosted a PBS show ironically called “Free Speech for Sale,” and he opened with the views of three "reformers" -- Burt Neuborne of the Brennan Center for Justice, Charles Lewis of the Center for Public Integrity, and Bob Hall of Democracy South. But as Greve reported, Moyers "never revealed that their organizations have received a total of $2.6 million from the Schumann Foundation in the last five years."

OOPS.

No, I'm not actually using Bill Moyers as an example of anything. Can you read any more, Bob? I was referring to a conservative political hack (Ken Tomlinson) who hired a consultant ostensibly to measure liberal bias on a number of PBS programs; said consultant used as his measure of "liberal" whether the person disagreed with the policies of the Bush Administration. It could as well have been "Sesame Street" he examined. The point is that the consultant used a ridiculous yardstick to measure "liberal bias".

You got that? Nothing to do with Bill Moyers. Everything to do with how "liberal bias" was purportedly measured.

Oh, Tomlinson was unceremoniously thrown out on his ass this fall for this and other misdeeds.

----------------------------------
    "Go yell at an M&M"
    Quote Reply
    Re: George Bush should point at, and make fun of the press. [Startmeup] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    There is no doubt that the media in general are left biased. However, if you do read the paper written by

the researchers http://www.polisci.ucla.edu/...close/Media.Bias.pdf and if you know how google

works, you realize that the way the researchers designed their measure does not take into consideration self

references which basically means that you can artificially increase the score by voting for yourself (which

was an issue in the initial design of the rank a page had in google). Therefore, if you have more of one type of

'something' (say a liberal) you increase the risk of self reference.

It does not mean that the media is left biased. It only means that the numbers given are likely to be smaller than

what they are giving.

--------------------------------------------------

"We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds; our planet is the mental institution of the universe."
    Quote Reply
    Re: George Bush should point at, and make fun of the press. [klehner] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    OK got it. I can read fine. I just misunderstood the intent. Point taken.
    Quote Reply
    Re: George Bush should point at, and make fun of the press. [JW von Goethe] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    "There is no doubt that the media in general are left biased. "

You said it all
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    You have a very selective way to read things.

Now, I really said everything.

"We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds; our planet is the mental institution of the universe."
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    In Reply To:
    Can you even read?

Can you even make sense? What are talking about?

See Ken's post below yours.

If you dont want to look like a dolt, take to seconds to think before responding with some prefabricated rant

You did state that the media has a liberal bias. This we know to be true. What's also clear is that the study speaks for itself without your added attempt to characterize it (which, by the way, is incorrect).
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    I would love to hear your explanation of what is in this paper. Did you read it? Are you familiar with the way google

works to rank pages? Please, enlighten us.

Quote Reply
    Re: George Bush should point at, and make fun of the press. [JW von Goethe] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    It's clear by your continued referral to the left leaning google and its ranking system that you have clearly missed the meaning and validity of the work done by the noted authors.

I read the paper which, by the way, came out a year ago. Did you read it? The only thing that needs to be illuminated is your understanding of statistics.

It's really rather simple. Mountain, meet molehill.
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    It is clear that you are absolutely clueless. I could also bet that among the several thousand people registered on this forum, very few if any, have an understanding of statistics as deep as mine.

Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    Except, it appears, in this case.

I believe that I'll follow Robert J. Barro, the Paul M. Warburg Professor of Economics at Harvard University, who stated that the professors “use a clever statistical technique to construct an objective measure of conservative or liberal bias in the news coverage of major U.S. television and radio stations, newspapers, magazines and the Internet.”

Barro, who is also a senior fellow at the Hoover Institution at Stanford University, said the study illustrates “that the liberal inclination of the mainstream media is clear.”

I'm gonna go with his knowledge of stats in lieu of yours.
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    So Harvard guarantees truth? Hillarious. The sentence 'use a clever statistical technique etc.' certainly doesn't imply that the results are meaningful and correctly applied.

Your comment about 'the left leaning google' is funny too. Basically what is described in the paper is a rather simple approach used in game theory. It is definitely not unique, was not invented by the authors, however it was applied to the case of measuring left or right bias by the authors. So, they are only using a rather old approach to their problem of measuring bias.

Now, the way Google ranks pages uses a much smarter strategy that has nothing to do with being left or right. It has to do with markov chains and a bit of graph theory. It is designed to prevent artificial inflation of a score when one 'player' A votes for B who then votes for A. Nothing in the approach used in the paper to measure bias prevents this.

Then of course, I do not expect you to understand any of this. It's more for those here who can actually think on their feet.

The funny thing is that you do not even realize that I agreed with you that the media is left biased. It's obvious. I am just saying that the paper you referred to is likely to exagerate the scores in favor of 'more liberal' because it omits critical elements to prevent circular voting.

Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    "You may wish to rephrase your challenge. It doesn't make sense. What is it exactly you are asking? "

cut n paste - Without exception ...everything in life, in society, in politics, in personal behaviour requires a strike of balance. Either extreme is not the best.

My point is every aspect of our lives requires balance and either extreme is not good eg full freedom of the press v total censorship. Needs to be something in between somewhere. eg full uncontrolled democracy and freedom to whatever one wants vs dictatorship. Over politeness to the extent of pandering as opposed to rudeness. Being a fat sedentary slob as opposed to someone whose obsessed in triathlon he forgets everything else.

Find me an aspect of life where this doesn't apply and an extreme is better than a compromised balance.
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    No, you stated initially that you agreed with the proposition.

By the way, exaggerate has two g's.

Yes, I will believe this particular Harvard professor. He's not just "a" Harvard prof. Oh, and remember,

"figures lie and liars figure".

how's that for "thinking on my feet" Mr. Malthus?
    Quote Reply
    Re: George Bush should point at, and make fun of the press. [kangaroo] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    My point is every aspect of our lives requires balance and either extreme is not good

Do you think your views on Muslims is balanced?

You sir, are my new hero! - Trifan 11/13/2008

Casey, you are a wise man - blueraider_mike 11/13/2008

Casey, This is an astute observation. - Slowbern 11/17/2008
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    Oh please. I've worked for a major news organization. An agenda? Half the time the managers can't even agree on who's going to work the weekends, much less taking over the world!
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    A quote is the best thing you can do to think on your feet?

Let me suggest some good reading for you to understand what measurement means

Krantz, Tverski, Suppes, Luce, Measurement theory. 1974.

You can stick to volume 1.

Although meaningfulness is only treated in volume III, I believe.

"Mit der Dummheit kampfen Gotter selbst vergebens" (J.C.F von Schiller)

Last edited by: JW von Goethe: Jan 5, 06 14:13
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    I did read the paper (which is why it took me a while to post) and I think the entire paper misses the point. After the appendix section is the graph showing representatives, media sources, and the part I think everyone missed. The average republican mark is at ~15 and the average democrat is at ~75 these are from memory so don't smash me on those two numbers.

Almost all of the media outlets fall between them. Since bias is in the eyes of the beholder the republicans see most of the outlets to the left of them and the democrats see most of the outlets to the right so ... they both perceive bias ... Chicken little to world 'The sky is falling'. The other section of the report that is important is the part that details how biased doesn't mean untruthful or incorrect.

I'm a flaming left-wing pinko commi and I think this report is OK. The media is liberal biased but if you read enough sources (my favorites are thewire.com, bbc.co.uk, cnn.com and I listen to NPR on my morning commute) you can almost see the forest for the trees.
    Quote Reply
    Re: George Bush should point at, and make fun of the press. [Casey] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    In Reply To:
    The news was reported after 2 sources came through with confirmation. The first confirmation came from the Governor himself when a family member stopped him and asked point blank if there were 12 survivors and he said "yes." The family members then told the press.
    Are you sure about this? I saw a interview last night of the Gov on TV about this exact thing. He said (me paraphasing) that he was in the church when the news that everyone was alive broke, he heard the story himself and asked someone on his staff to confirm it. He then went on to say that he was never able to confirm it up until the point where it was announced that the 12 men had actually died. Now either the Gov lied in the interview I saw or your sources for this confirmation are wrong.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I'm just a 10 cent rider on a $2,500.00 Bike

Quote Reply
    Re: George Bush should point at, and make fun of the press. [hasbeenswimmer] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    that he was in the church when the news that everyone was alive broke, he heard the story himself and asked someone on his staff to confirm it.

That is exactly what I heard. The article then said he went outside of the church on the way to confirm it and a lady approached him and asked "is it true that all 12 are alive" and he said "yes." That comment was overheard and reported to the media.

The governor was asked about this and he said "he was caught up in the excitement of thinking they were alive."

That's what I read this morning and I'll try to find the article on-line.

Of course, all of this was reported so I'm not sure who to believe anymore.

You sir, are my new hero! - Trifan 11/13/2008

Casey, you are a wise man - blueraider_mike 11/13/2008

Casey, This is an astute observation. - Slowbern 11/17/2008
    Quote Reply

Prev Next