Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman mentioned in Kaepernick commercial [RoYe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RoYe wrote:
I stand with Kaepernick, and my next running shoes will be nike

i recuse myself (in the tri forum) because i'm an alumnus of the first and true wolf pack (U Nevada: 1874, NC State: 1887) and therefore not unbiased. however, if you want my opinions on this, i'm happy to share them. in the lavender room. which is where your post belongs. you know that, right?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman mentioned in Kaepernick commercial [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
tmonica wrote:
Agreed. And iā€™d Like to hear more from Kap

As an aussie all I hear of and see in regards to black culture is hip hop glorifying gang life, drugs sex and murder. And what I read about is black people shooting other black people at a horrific rate in Chicago etc.

Why don't some black leaders like this Kap guy speak out about that?

Also I don't understand how a black man earning millions of dollars in a country with a black president can say black people are oppressed?

OMG

Sorry, but if you have no basis for an opinion, why do you express it????

What do you mean by "black culture"? Are you saying that you can tell what all blacks are like by listening to "hip hop"? Do you think that only blacks listen to "hip hop"? Do you think it is OK for police to harass a black person because of "hip hop"? Are you saying that American police do not harass blacks disproportionately than they do whites? Do you think that Kap is responsible for blacks being shot in Chicago? Is it your place to determine a priority list of injustices and that certain people should be considered hypocrites if they do not attack them in your order? Do you seriously believe that black men are not oppressed in the USA -- or even that millionaire black men are not oppressed? Do you think that a black man being elected as president ended all oppression of black men? Do you think you can end oppression by having a majority of voters vote against it? Do you not think that the election of Trump was not to some degree a backlash against having a black president? Do you not think that Trump supports the alt-right and yet was elected president?

Sorry for rant, but really . . .
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman mentioned in Kaepernick commercial [randomtriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
randomtriguy wrote:
Wasnt expecting to hear the word Ironman referenced in this commercial at all... some major brand awareness for them in one of the more controversial topics at the moment (Nike's campaign)

https://www.youtube.com/...-A&feature=share

That was a well-done and powerful ad.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
randomtriguy wrote:
Wasnt expecting to hear the word Ironman referenced in this commercial at all... some major brand awareness for them in one of the more controversial topics at the moment (Nike's campaign)

Finally watched the whole thing on Youtube. Very powerful ad. How anybody watches this and starts burning their sneakers is beyond me. Crazy times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know of the Ironman who was mentioned? Sounds like a pretty awesome story on its own......
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman mentioned in Kaepernick commercial [LuckyLo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LuckyLo wrote:
Does anyone know of the Ironman who was mentioned? Sounds like a pretty awesome story on its own......

See post 41. Answer is there.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman mentioned in Kaepernick commercial [hugoagogo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hugoagogo wrote:
dunno wrote:
tmonica wrote:
Agreed. And iā€™d Like to hear more from Kap

As an aussie all I hear of and see in regards to black culture is hip hop glorifying gang life, drugs sex and murder. And what I read about is black people shooting other black people at a horrific rate in Chicago etc.

Why don't some black leaders like this Kap guy speak out about that?

Also I don't understand how a black man earning millions of dollars in a country with a black president can say black people are oppressed?

OMG

Sorry, but if you have no basis for an opinion, why do you express it????

What do you mean by "black culture"? Are you saying that you can tell what all blacks are like by listening to "hip hop"? Do you think that only blacks listen to "hip hop"? Do you think it is OK for police to harass a black person because of "hip hop"? Are you saying that American police do not harass blacks disproportionately than they do whites? Do you think that Kap is responsible for blacks being shot in Chicago? Is it your place to determine a priority list of injustices and that certain people should be considered hypocrites if they do not attack them in your order? Do you seriously believe that black men are not oppressed in the USA -- or even that millionaire black men are not oppressed? Do you think that a black man being elected as president ended all oppression of black men? Do you think you can end oppression by having a majority of voters vote against it? Do you not think that the election of Trump was not to some degree a backlash against having a black president? Do you not think that Trump supports the alt-right and yet was elected president?

Sorry for rant, but really . . .

You obviously didnā€™t read what he wrote.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman mentioned in Kaepernick commercial [tritimmy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nike investors aren't happy about the Colin Kaepernick ad

By Paul R. La Monica September 5, 2018: 8:04 AM ET
Wall Street seems to think Nike just blew it with its new ad campaign featuring controversial quarterback Colin Kaepernick.
Shares of Nike (NKE) fell nearly 3% in midday trading Tuesday. #NikeBoycott was a trending topic on Twitter, with some people posting photos and videos of ripped Nike socks and burned Nike sneakers.

https://money.cnn.com/...aepernick/index.html
Last edited by: RBR: Sep 6, 18 21:08
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman mentioned in Kaepernick commercial [7summits] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didnā€™t realize there are so many republicans here.

Hats off to nike and kap.

I donā€™t get the haters.

Stand for your fellow Americans. Kap is bringing attention to the issue.

Clearly you donā€™t agree there is discrimination and thatā€™s probably why this issue is polarizing.

Itā€™s called white privilege.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman mentioned in Kaepernick commercial [Reactions] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reactions wrote:
I didnā€™t realize there are so many republicans here.

Hats off to nike and kap.

I donā€™t get the haters.

Stand for your fellow Americans. Kap is bringing attention to the issue.

Clearly you donā€™t agree there is discrimination and thatā€™s probably why this issue is polarizing.

Itā€™s called white privilege.

I found this interesting?

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-black-americans-commit-crime

Would this stat below not account for why blacks are shot more by police?

"Itā€™s true that around 13 per cent of Americans are black, according to the latest estimates from the US Census Bureau.
And yes, according to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, black offenders committed 52 per cent of homicides recorded in the data between 1980 and 2008. "
Last edited by: dunno: Sep 6, 18 22:10
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman mentioned in Kaepernick commercial [peace242000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair enough. I guess I'm around a few more folks on the younger end of the triathlon spectrum. And I certainly wouldn't spend any time with someone who said something like that.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman mentioned in Kaepernick commercial [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RBR wrote:
Nike investors aren't happy about the Colin Kaepernick ad

Shares of Nike (NKE) fell nearly 3% in midday trading Tuesday.

And was back up at yesterdayā€˜s close. So I guess some investors are happy with them.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman mentioned in Kaepernick commercial [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I saw that all shoe companies were down 2-3% that day, not just Nike

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

ā€œYou are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.ā€
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman mentioned in Kaepernick commercial [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
Id hazard to guess they number of black on black deaths is many many times higher than those wrongly shot by police? If community leaders are speaking out to help their community surely this is a topic they should also raise?
Are you saying they're not? It sounds like it.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman mentioned in Kaepernick commercial [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Nike's motivation is pretty clear- it's all about money. As the image below shows, two-thirds of the US economy voted for Clinton over Trump. And Nike is a global company with many customers outside the US. While I doubt there are any polls showing the global approval rating of Kap, there are plenty on Trump and the US more generally, none of which are good. Global opinion about American leadership under Trump is historically low. So alienating the President and his supporters, which is a relatively small subset of customers in economic terms, while energizing a much richer, larger customer base is not that risky.

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman mentioned in Kaepernick commercial [Changpao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Changpao wrote:
I think Nike's motivation is pretty clear- it's all about money. As the image below shows, two-thirds of the US economy voted for Clinton over Trump. And Nike is a global company with many customers outside the US. While I doubt there are any polls showing the global approval rating of Kap, there are plenty on Trump and the US more generally, none of which are good. Global opinion about American leadership under Trump is historically low. So alienating the President and his supporters, which is a relatively small subset of customers in economic terms, while energizing a much richer, larger customer base is not that risky.

I would wager that 95% of consumers won't change their Nike buying habits based on whether or not they agree with Kap. Most people just don't care (myself included) and the vocal fringes don't represent much of that GDP in your chart. If anything, Nike is getting a ton of free publicity just from being controversial. Nike never crosses my mind, and it's been nearly the only thing I've seen on social media this week. They are just virtue signaling to sell shoes. Their executive team doesn't give a crap about whatever cause Kap represents.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman mentioned in Kaepernick commercial [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TulkasTri wrote:
peace242000 wrote:
yeah but I have a feeling the average ironman is firmly on the side of Kaepernick shutting up

Iā€™m on the side of the Orange man shutting up, actually.

Agreed!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman mentioned in Kaepernick commercial [Changpao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Changpao wrote:

Thanks for the map! I hadn't seen that.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Sep 7, 18 8:45
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman mentioned in Kaepernick commercial [AquaBikePatti65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AquaBikePatti65 wrote:
TulkasTri wrote:
peace242000 wrote:
yeah but I have a feeling the average ironman is firmly on the side of Kaepernick shutting up

Iā€™m on the side of the Orange man shutting up, actually.

Agreed!!!

while i may (or may not!) agree with your sentiments, those who stand with our current president also do triathlons, and have a right to read this forum without confronting political commentary (that is unrelated to triathlon). this thread ONLY remains here because of charlie jabaley.

the lavender room is where we go when we want to talk about orange men, blue men (did you know that blue man group contains a triathlete?), red men, white men, black men, and women of all different colors as well.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman mentioned in Kaepernick commercial [oprfcc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oprfcc wrote:
Really?

Being black in America is like riding a bike. You can be killed at any moment for existing and pissing off the wrong person because they were in a bad mood. Of course you can get off your bike whenever you like and choose the nicest places to ride a bike at the safest times.
All riders are all for more road safety. I'd hope they'd also be for the safety of other American's in other (much more dangerous) situations.

I revisited this thread today. The NFL have admitted they were wrong stopping Kaepernick and others protesting. To get real change people have to face up to being wrong and, unfortunately, sometimes the things that show that starkly enough to make it happen are terrible in the true meaning of the word. The post quoted above was true and then true now. But I hope the difference is that some of these things are harder to deny now. Get out of the new one if you can't lend a hand.
Quote Reply

Prev Next