Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Movie Review: Avengers - Infinity War [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was there with my two boys, 9 and 5 (because I'm a terrible parent), and pretty much had the same response at the end. Really dark, and sad. I had no idea how this one would play out, but both boys had thoroughly enjoyed the previous MCU films and were really looking forward to this one. The older boy loved it, the younger probably didn't really get what was happening, but definitely picked up on the mood.

It's an impressive film. Thanos was beyond sympathetic in my viewing experience. He's only crazy by normative standards, and beings like him should exist and operate outside of those constraints.

Or maybe I'm just a sociopath. Who knows.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Avengers - Infinity War [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
I was there with my two boys, 9 and 5 (because I'm a terrible parent), and pretty much had the same response at the end. Really dark, and sad. I had no idea how this one would play out, but both boys had thoroughly enjoyed the previous MCU films and were really looking forward to this one. The older boy loved it, the younger probably didn't really get what was happening, but definitely picked up on the mood.

It's an impressive film. Thanos was beyond sympathetic in my viewing experience. He's only crazy by normative standards, and beings like him should exist and operate outside of those constraints.

Or maybe I'm just a sociopath. Who knows.

Yeah, my pet peeve in this world is bad ideas that don't get challenged because interests aren't aligned to do so. Nobody in the MCU can argue against a Malthusian? Pathetic.
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Avengers - Infinity War [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Yeah, my pet peeve in this world is bad ideas that don't get challenged because interests aren't aligned to do so. Nobody in the MCU can argue against a Malthusian? Pathetic.

What's the point? Do you argue with Hitler in 1944 over the virtues of Nazism?

(Does Godwin's Law apply to comic book threads?).
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Avengers - Infinity War [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
Quote:

What's the point? Do you argue with Hitler in 1944 over the virtues of Nazism?

(Does Godwin's Law apply to comic book threads?).

Sometimes you crack me up.

Show me any modern movie about Nazis that doesn't challenge the precepts of Nazism. Besides, everyone is ready for the Nazis. Their ideas are constantly challenged, if not presented in a way as to make them patently ridiculous. Imagine Sphere making his comment about a WWII movie: Hilter was beyond sympathetic in my viewing experience. He's only crazy by normative standards, and beings like him should exist and operate outside of those constraints. Ha!

No, no, and no.

The point. The point is it's 2018 here on planet earth, infinity war is the biggest movie in history, the world revolves around ideas, and no one can argue the logic of the guy that wants to kill half the universe.
Last edited by: SH: May 7, 18 12:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

The point. The point is it's 2018 here on planet earth, infinity war is the biggest movie in history, the world revolves around ideas, and no one can argue the logic of the guy that wants to kill half the universe.

Okay, I'm really not sure what you are pointing out. One can certainly argue for/against Malthusian doctrine, lots of folks have. Just did a production of "Urinetown" and they all sardonically cry "Hail, Malthus" at the end (one of the weirder moments). The world/universe may or may not revolve around ideas, comic book movies revolve around biceps, aliens and explosions. Are you saying that there should have been more support for Thanos' ideology, or that it is so wrong that it undercuts his motivation? I really don't know what you are getting at.

Okay, rereading your post, it seems that you wanted to have a long argument about how wrong Thanos is, preferably directed by Ingmar Bergman. It is presented a priori as wrong, and a different variation of evil motivation (he is called "the mad Titan" for a reason, and his slaughters and henchman are portrayed as evil). People don't waste time philosophically challenging Nazism in movies, they are always the "bad guys". This is probably a step up from a Sith Lord, who simply follows an amorphous "Dark Side" (you get a black cape and ominous music, that goes with the territory). It might be difficult to address this issue in a comic book epic.
Last edited by: oldandslow: May 7, 18 18:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The point is it's 2018 here on planet earth, infinity war is the biggest movie in history, the world revolves around ideas, and no one can argue the logic of the guy that wants to kill half the universe.

Maybe you should consider that this is a comic book movie. It's not that "nobody can argue" with Thanos' motivation. It's that the point is big action spectacle, not philosophical debate. If that's what you wanted, you need to find different movies to watch.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Avengers - Infinity War [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finally saw this over the weekend.

One question. Instead of killing half the universe due to scarce resources, why didn't Thanos just double the resources?

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Avengers - Infinity War [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because the Avengers have to fight him. :) Seriously though, in the comics he killed half the universe to impress the physical embodiment of Death in the hopes he could marry her. I guess that motive wouldn't translate well to the movies. My thought is that the sacrifice would cause all civilizations to take the stewardship of their resources seriously in the future to avoid this from happening again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably much easier to destroy than create. If you think of the reality stone, it mostly transmuted objects. D you imagine creating twice as many inhabitable planets? C'mon, get real!
Last edited by: oldandslow: May 14, 18 13:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
Finally saw this over the weekend.

One question. Instead of killing half the universe due to scarce resources, why didn't Thanos just double the resources?

Yeah, the shown scale of civiliation in the MCU makes this "resource" storyline a total joke. Double the resources or halve the resources, who would notice? The Earth receives only 1/3 of one one billionth of the Sun's energy. Hell, all of the remaining Asgardians fit on a ship about as long as a football field. Thanos and his entire entourage emanate out of one ship only a few hundred times larger than the Asgardian ship? I guess most people are just ignorant to the scale of the vast treasure of the universe that science might unlock.

What "resources" can these galactic travelers possibly lack?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finally saw it this weekend as well. My biggest quesrion was why didn't they just cut off Thanos' arm instead of trying to pull the glove off?

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Avengers - Infinity War [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
Finally saw it this weekend as well. My biggest quesrion was why didn't they just cut off Thanos' arm instead of trying to pull the glove off?

That would be gross. And what kind of character would Thanos be without an arm?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Calamityjane88 [ In reply to ]
Re: Movie Review: Avengers - Infinity War [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Did Dr. Strange really see 1 possible outcome out of the 14 billion scenarios where they could win or was he just trying to keep up morale?

14,000,605. 1 in 14M isn't much of a morale booster....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
Quote:

Did Dr. Strange really see 1 possible outcome out of the 14 billion scenarios where they could win or was he just trying to keep up morale?

[Spoilers Below.]

I dunno.

When he said that, Strange still had the time stone, and maybe could steer events towards that one improbable victorious outcome. I thought that might have been why he gave the stone to Thanos, and when asked why by Stark replied, "we're in the end game now".

Maybe in a sequel, giving the stone to Thanos to spare Stark will be pivotal in ultimately defeating Thanos due to that 1 in 14M outcome. (Or, maybe Strange just realized that defeat was inevitable when he gave up the stone....)

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"One question. Instead of killing half the universe due to scarce resources, why didn't Thanos just double the resources?"

Because he can't, and even if he could it would never work.

Now that that's out of the way, wow, what an awesome movie! Ask another plot hole question and get punched in the face!!!

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Avengers - Infinity War [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:
oldandslow wrote:
Quote:

[Spoilers Below.]

I dunno.

When he said that, Strange still had the time stone, and maybe could steer events towards that one improbable victorious outcome. I thought that might have been why he gave the stone to Thanos, and when asked why by Stark replied, "we're in the end game now".

Maybe in a sequel, giving the stone to Thanos to spare Stark will be pivotal in ultimately defeating Thanos due to that 1 in 14M outcome. (Or, maybe Strange just realized that defeat was inevitable when he gave up the stone....)

That was my take. In the one future he saw where they won, Stark played a key role. So if Thanos kills Stark there's no hope left, hence it made sense to give up the Time stone to save Stark. Maybe he saw himself giving up the Time stone in that future as well.

I'm guessing in the next movie there's going to be some time travel, with at least some of the heroes going back in time to get the stones before Thanos can. Maybe via Antman going subatomic. With them already having announced Spiderman and Guardians sequels it certainly seems that Spidey and at least some of the Guardians are going to get brought back (think Rocket is the only Guardian left alive right now?).
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Avengers - Infinity War [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no doubt that they’ll be bringing a number of characters ‘Back from the dead.’ In addition to the ones you mentioned, I think they already have Black Panther prequels planned as well.

I was disappointed that Black Widow survived. In personally think Scarlet Johansen is a terrible actor and would rather see almost anyone else have her screen time in the sequel.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Avengers - Infinity War [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
I personally think Scarlet Johansen is a terrible actor and would rather see almost anyone else have her screen time in the sequel.

Take whatever role she's in and replace her with Katheryn Winnick from Vikings, and I'm all in.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
Probably much easier to destroy than create. If you think of the reality stone, it mostly transmuted objects. D you imagine creating twice as many inhabitable planets? C'mon, get real!

Plus, if we assume Thanos is right and the universe is overstretched on resources, would just creating more resources really solve the problem? Would it really wake life up to,the fact that resources are limited and must be respected? Thanos was Marvels Ozymandias.
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Avengers - Infinity War [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I saw today that James Gunn told a fan what Groot's last line was in Infinity War. As he is disintegrating, he looks as Rocket and says "Dad". And you thought Spider-man's exit was a tear-jerker.....
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Avengers - Infinity War [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Missed that line, might have to go watch it again!

Can we all agree October 5, 2018 will be a day to spend in the theater?

-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Avengers - Infinity War [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, he says "I am Groot" but means dad.
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Avengers - Infinity War [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluemonkeytri wrote:
So I saw today that James Gunn told a fan what Groot's last line was in Infinity War. As he is disintegrating, he looks as Rocket and says "Dad". And you thought Spider-man's exit was a tear-jerker.....

When no deaths are permanent, none of them are sad. We all assume that someone will use the gauntlet and/or some of the stones to reset things and some/most/all of the characters will come back to life.

Later we might find out that someone is completely dead and not just mostly dead. But that won't sting near as much as seeing Groot evaporate and knowing he is dead dead.

It really makes any sacrifice or death meaningless and takes away from the movies.

And I say this as someone who has seen all of the movies and enjoys them.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MY wife is pretty certain when Strange was using the Time Stone to find a way to beat Thanos, he simply created an alternate universe where all those disintegrated went to. However, that doesn't account for Loki and Gamora who died by means other than Thanos' finger snap.

-Nobody
Quote Reply

Prev Next