Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Racial tolerance [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"If this type of bias is so pervasive then why is this kind of thing even news? "

Before I get driven off in a "Barry is calling everyone a racist" tirade, I would like to point out, again, the posting history here.

Lots of complaining about how annoying it is that white people have to deal with minorities and their complaining.
Almost no talk about how annoying actual racism that minorities have to deal with is.

One of the arguments used was that, "well, racism is just so obviously bad and we all know that it happens all the time that there's just not anything to talk about."

Now that we're actually talking about it (not really.....it was used as a segue for the use of the term "tolerance," but at least most people agree that tolerance is not good enough), you've just spoken out of the other side of the mouth. "Well, if its in the news, it must not be that common, otherwise we'd never talk about it."

Black people have to deal with racism, all the time. Accept it. Learn from it. Be on the right side of history.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Racial tolerance [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Racial tolerance [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

My god that was perfect.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Racial tolerance [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
JSA wrote:
I have never understood the term "racial tolerance," and I have been working in this area for 20 years. I agree with you, it sounds ridiculous. We don't "accept" or "embrace" or "welcome" diversity, we "tolerate" it. WTF???

For a trump-ballsack washing, tatted up lawyer-type, every once in a while you say something that is pretty intelligent. Tolerance my ass.... tolerance does not equal acceptance, respectfulness, or any of those other things that we expect of each other in a civilized society. It's a ridiculously low bar, not something that one should aspire to. You should already be there.

Watch it buddy, you're lucky we tolerate you around here! :-)

I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

I'm not particularly good at math, so, I'm pretty sure that's a compliment. Thank you.

Quote Reply
Re: Racial tolerance [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
"If this type of bias is so pervasive then why is this kind of thing even news? "

Before I get driven off in a "Barry is calling everyone a racist" tirade, I would like to point out, again, the posting history here.

Lots of complaining about how annoying it is that white people have to deal with minorities and their complaining.
Almost no talk about how annoying actual racism that minorities have to deal with is.

One of the arguments used was that, "well, racism is just so obviously bad and we all know that it happens all the time that there's just not anything to talk about."

Now that we're actually talking about it (not really.....it was used as a segue for the use of the term "tolerance," but at least most people agree that tolerance is not good enough), you've just spoken out of the other side of the mouth. "Well, if its in the news, it must not be that common, otherwise we'd never talk about it."

Black people have to deal with racism, all the time. Accept it. Learn from it. Be on the right side of history.

Honestly - what conversation about actual racism has to take place here? There is no debate that what happened was wrong. People in the store stood up to the cops for the black guys. The employee was fired. There is a pretty general agreement that what happened, shouldn't have.

Quote Reply
Re: Racial tolerance [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
BarryP wrote:

Honestly - what conversation about actual racism has to take place here? There is no debate that what happened was wrong. People in the store stood up to the cops for the black guys. The employee was fired. There is a pretty general agreement that what happened, shouldn't have.

What, objectively, did happen? I've been buried at work so I haven't done my own diligence yet.

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: Racial tolerance [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two black guys were waiting in a Starbucks for a friend to arrive.

White manager called the cops to have them removed.

Cops show up, claim the black guys are loitering and ask them to leave.

A few people see what's happening and protest to the cops. By this time, the black guy's friend has shown up.

Can't recall if they were arrested or just kicked out, either way, pretty disgusting behavior from the store manager, and the cops.

Quote Reply
Re: Racial tolerance [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crank wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
BarryP wrote:

What, objectively, did happen? I've been buried at work so I haven't done my own diligence yet.

A supervisor followed Starbucks policy. Now its going down the path like Evergreen college did.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Two black guys were waiting in a Starbucks for a friend to arrive.

White manager called the cops to have them removed.

Cops show up, claim the black guys are loitering and ask them to leave.

A few people see what's happening and protest to the cops. By this time, the black guy's friend has shown up.

Can't recall if they were arrested or just kicked out, either way, pretty disgusting behavior from the store manager, and the cops.

Not uncommon if its a busy place and you are just sitting without ordering. I see it at the Starbucks that is closest to me, but they are usually asking college and high school kids. It is a place of business. Did the manager ask if they are going to order? How long were they waiting there?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
BarryP wrote:

If I read the couple responses right after yours and other social media I have to doubt that the general agreement is not as general as one may think.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Racial tolerance [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a fucking coffee shop. Starbucks actually markets itself as a meeting place for business, social gatherings, etc. Kicking people out for loitering??

It was a business meeting between professionals. I doubt the guys were waiting long, but who knows.

Quote Reply
Re: Racial tolerance [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The point is... white people do this all the time. And they never have the cops called on them.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:

Certainly not universal though. I had friend post a meme on Facebook about it which led to a whole back and forth by a bunch of people (that I don't know). Anyway, there seems to be side out there that basically feels that a) it's the black guys fault for causing trouble by not just leaving b) the racial division in the country is made worse by making issues over stuff like this.

They appear to basically argue that things have gotten better for black people so they are just trouble makers by not being happy about that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
The point is... white people do this all the time. And they never have the cops called on them.

They don't? How do you know that? Maybe they do and people don't film it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
It's a fucking coffee shop. Starbucks actually markets itself as a meeting place for business, social gatherings, etc. Kicking people out for loitering??

It was a business meeting between professionals. I doubt the guys were waiting long, but who knows.

Huh, if its a meeting place for professionals Starbucks should consider selling coffee and snacks. They could make a business out of it and go public.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

How do you know this? And if cops had to remove a couple stubborn white dudes would this make national news?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

Huh, if its a meeting place for professionals Starbucks should consider selling coffee and snacks. They could make a business out of it and go public.

That's what Panera is for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
getcereal wrote:
BLeP wrote:

How do you know this? And if cops had to remove a couple stubborn white dudes would this make national news?

Jinx!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been to Starbucks. I have seen people sitting there for hours on their computers. White people. They don't have any drinks.

Not once have I seen someone asked to buy something. Not once have any of them been asked to leave. Not once have Police been called.

I've seen it. I bet most people on here have seen it.

Quote Reply
Re: Racial tolerance [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

That's what Panera is for.

No, they make you order shit. You don't get to just sit there quietly conducting your meeting without making a purchase.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

Not sure what happened to the manager, I thought I read fired somewhere?

Anyway, if she was simply following company policy and had asked whites, etc. just hanging out there to leave, she'll sue the beejesus out of Starbucks and win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
I've been to Starbucks. I have seen people sitting there for hours on their computers. White people. They don't have any drinks.

Not once have I seen someone asked to buy something. Not once have any of them been asked to leave. Not once have Police been called.

I've seen it. I bet most people on here have seen it.
So because of your anecdotal evidence it could never happens in the rest of their 14 thousand stores in the US.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Exactly. It could never happens.

Quote Reply
Re: Racial tolerance [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Not sure what happened to the manager, I thought I read fired somewhere?

Anyway, if she was simply following company policy and had asked whites, etc. just hanging out there to leave, she'll sue the beejesus out of Starbucks and win.

No she won't. She was an at-will employee per PA law. Starbucks is free to fire her for any reason or no reason at all, unless it was an illegal reason and this would not be an illegal reason.

Quote Reply

Prev Next