Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Racial tolerance
Quote | Reply
Starbucks is closing 8000 cafes to do “racial tolerance training”.

Racial tolerance is an odd concept to me. It’s supposed to be a good thing. Seems like a poor choice of words to me.

“Starbucks where people of all races are welcome”.

“Whoa, slow down there sonny, welcome is a pretty strong word. I wouldn’t go that far. We merely tolerate other races”

http://business.financialpost.com/...l-tolerance-training

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Racial tolerance [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
buy something.. problem solved.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

Racial tolerance is an odd concept to me. It’s supposed to be a good thing. Seems like a poor choice of words to me.

“Whoa, slow down there sonny, welcome is a pretty strong word. I wouldn’t go that far. We merely tolerate other races”

A bit of an over response over an isolated incident IMHO. The guy apologized for staff. That should have been enough. PC is getting a bit ridiculous.
Quote Reply
Re: Racial tolerance [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
BLeP wrote:

A bit of an over response over an isolated incident IMHO. The guy apologized for staff. That should have been enough. PC is getting a bit ridiculous.

Agreed. I will never understand holding an entire corporation responsible for the foolish actions of a single ignorant junior manager, especially when the corporation removed the problem employee(s).

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have never understood the term "racial tolerance," and I have been working in this area for 20 years. I agree with you, it sounds ridiculous. We don't "accept" or "embrace" or "welcome" diversity, we "tolerate" it. WTF???

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Racial tolerance [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pay the wifi tax already

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Racial tolerance [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
I have never understood the term "racial tolerance," and I have been working in this area for 20 years. I agree with you, it sounds ridiculous. We don't "accept" or "embrace" or "welcome" diversity, we "tolerate" it. WTF???

Seems like the case of setting the bar low enough that it should easily achievable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:

For a trump-ballsack washing, tatted up lawyer-type, every once in a while you say something that is pretty intelligent. Tolerance my ass.... tolerance does not equal acceptance, respectfulness, or any of those other things that we expect of each other in a civilized society. It's a ridiculously low bar, not something that one should aspire to. You should already be there.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Racial tolerance [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's almost certainly an anachronistic holdover from the civil rights era, where tolerance was a reasonable standard to aim for. We just haven't updated our file, or paid enough attention to the language to make the change.

I mean, people still think it's rude to not say "god bless you" after they sneeze. We're not so good at paying attention to the meaning of words and why we use them. We're just creatures of habit.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Racial tolerance [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
It's almost certainly an anachronistic holdover from the civil rights era, where tolerance was a reasonable standard to aim for. We just haven't updated our file, or paid enough attention to the language.

That’s what I was thinking, basically you don’t have to like them but legally you need to tolerate them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if Starbucks has figured out an impactful way to educate ppl on racial bias in a single afternoon I hope they share their notes with the police
@PiaGlenn

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Racial tolerance [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
if Starbucks has figured out an impactful way to educate ppl on racial bias in a single afternoon I hope they share their notes with the police
@PiaGlenn

They aren't educating people on racial bias. They are showing people how to tolerate "those people".

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought it was called "sensitivity training" now?

Last edited by: WelshinPhilly: Apr 18, 18 7:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Agreed. I will never understand holding an entire corporation responsible for the foolish actions of a single ignorant junior manager, especially when the corporation removed the problem employee(s).

Not only that, but Starbucks has been ahead of the left-wing curve in preaching and celebrating diversity in most aspects of their business for years. I worked there briefly in college and was struck by how much of their staff training was dedicated to things like racial tolerance. That was 14 years ago, before diversity for diversity's sake was "cool".

A SJW friend of mine commented on FB that while the closure of 8000 stores was a step in the right direction, that Starbucks should have been providing this training before hand to avoid such situations. If ever there was a comment that deserved a "wow. Just wow."...

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
JSA wrote:

For a trump-ballsack washing, tatted up lawyer-type, every once in a while you say something that is pretty intelligent. Tolerance my ass.... tolerance does not equal acceptance, respectfulness, or any of those other things that we expect of each other in a civilized society. It's a ridiculously low bar, not something that one should aspire to. You should already be there.

Watch it buddy, you're lucky we tolerate you around here! :-)

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Racial tolerance [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
BLeP wrote:

My issue is the way the media uses this incident to get to a "chicken little the sky is falling" moment. This is a direct quote on the cover of today's online Washington Post:

The scene of two black men in handcuffs being led out of a Philadelphia shop by police last week delivered a reminder of pervasive bias that can affect even the most mundane activities, such as meeting someone for a coffee.

If this type of bias is so pervasive then why is this kind of thing even news?

I guess the insideous logic here is that as long as the behavior is considered bad, what's the harm in overstating its "pervasiveness"? And, actually, I could agree with that kind of logic if this was an issue that wasn't getting any attention. But we all know that isn't true. Now the overstating is becoming just the worst type of provocative fiction.
Last edited by: SH: Apr 18, 18 7:39
Quote Reply
Re: Racial tolerance [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
JSA wrote:

I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
JSA wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
JSA wrote:

Are you correcting Tolkien? Seriously?

heathen.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
JSA wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
JSA wrote:

Are you correcting Tolkien? Seriously?

heathen.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
JSA wrote:

"Cart blanc" - JSA

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
JSA wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
JSA wrote:

"Cart blanc" - JSA

JSA only speaks Freedom.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Racial tolerance [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
BLeP wrote:

My issue is the way the media uses this incident to get to a "chicken little the sky is falling" moment. This is a direct quote on the cover of today's online Washington Post:

The scene of two black men in handcuffs being led out of a Philadelphia shop by police last week delivered a reminder of pervasive bias that can affect even the most mundane activities, such as meeting someone for a coffee.

If this type of bias is so pervasive then why is this kind of thing even news?

I guess the insideous logic here is that as long as the behavior is considered bad, what's the harm in overstating its "pervasiveness"? And, actually, I could agree with that kind of logic if this was an issue that wasn't getting any attention. But we all know that isn't true. Now the overstating is becoming just the worst type of provocative fiction.

Because the bias doesn't normally result in the extreme level of there being arrests. It's the bias that's pervasive, not the men being led out of Starbucks in handcuffs.
Quote Reply
Re: Racial tolerance [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spntrxi wrote:
buy something.. problem solved.

No sir, the problem isn't solved by buying something.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
BLeP wrote:
JSA wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
JSA wrote:

"Cart blanc" - JSA

JSA only speaks Freedom.

That's exactly what I was going to say! Thank you!

Quote Reply

Prev Next