Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Doug Ford wins [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why do you hate Ontario?

Well if this past week is any indication, and Doug Ford does win, and it's leaning in that direction, then God Help us.

Last week when Ford was distinctly and obviously wrong on two key points about the Liberal Budget, in a media Q & A, and a reporter was pressing him on this point, Doug then accused the Reporter of being wrong! Yikes!

Doug also, said that he'll "cut the CBC budget" when he's Premier. At this point I wondered, does Doug know he's running for Premier and not Prime Minister? (CBC is federally funded). If he's got basics like this wrong, how can he handle the really important stuff?

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Doug Ford wins [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
God help us all. Tonight I had a discussion at family gathering about our current political state with two brother in laws both who are teachers. Even they are distressed by our current tax and spend direction. And then there is Doug Ford. Hopefully we get a minority of some sort and a reset in a short period of time.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Doug Ford wins [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you find the link to where Doug Ford actually says he’ll cut the CBC budget? Just asking because it’s already been debunked as fake news. Twitter doesn’t count BTW since that’s the source of the fakery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree. Ford didn't. He made a joke during a press conference. Here's the recording: .

At around 1:15 and in response to a CBC reporter wanting to ask a question Ford can be heard saying something to the effect of "Ah, my pals at the CBC... I know where we can cut some money!" It seems Fleck is merely regurgitating Leftist spin as fact?
Last edited by: scobig: Apr 1, 18 7:26
Quote Reply
Re: Doug Ford wins [scobig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, I read it a MacLeans article IIRC and the columnist said the source was the Ontario provincial NDP website. The piece was about fake news and how no one should be quick to attribute fake news to one particular political spectrum.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed. Fake news is attributable to all spectrums. But in this case the source, I believe, was Press Progress. Unless I am mistaken I also believe Press Progress is a project of the Broadbent Institute, an initiative set up by Jim Broadbent the former federal NDP leader. So I will change "Liberal" to "Leftist" in the post above.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It seems Fleck is merely regurgitating Leftist spin as fact?

Maybe/Maybe not!

You see, the thing with Doug, is you never know if he's joking or not. When Doug and Rob Ford briefly had their radio show, the one time, I listened to the show it was complete and total incoherence. There was a section where they were riffing on the traffic in Toronto and the topic of cyclists came up, Doug actually said that he would physically threaten violence if a cyclist cut him off - was he joking? I don't know, because, you never know with him. His tone of voice on the radio that day, was NOT humorous one! We know that he's VERY pro-car, and anti-all other forms of transportation, so based on position and repeat past behaviour, there is a good chance that Doug was serious about physically hurting a cyclist for cutting in front of him while driving!

Plus, he's been caught lying on numerous occasions, was warned on several other occasions by the City of Toronto ethics commissioner, and had to withdraw a statement and apologize for slanderous statements he made about the then Chief of Police.

He's NOT been an exemplary politician by any stretch - far from it.

But there is a good chance that he will be Premier. I don't know what to say, other than it's another example, that we seem to be living in this upside down world!

Quote Reply
Re: Doug Ford wins [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.fraserinstitute.org/sites/default/files/subsidized-daycare-what-british-columbia-can-learn.pdf Here is a paper analyzing Quebec's experience with heavily subsidized daycare. It came nowhere near to paying for itself. Gains in employment during the 20 time period analyzed came in much higher levels in women aged 55 and over well beyond child bearing age. Amoungst women 25-44 the employment rate barely budged. See page 6

Quote Reply
Re: Doug Ford wins [50+] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So it looks like, Doug Ford and the PC's will be campaigning with no real platform, limited "policy" and severely restricting the access of the media to Doug Ford - http://nationalpost.com/...xperts#comments-area

I'm guessing since the election of Doug as Leader, while they have been putting up a "good" front for the Ontario PC Party it's been open turmoil and chaos behind the scenes. Doug has done a couple of 180's already in terms of what was unanimous party policy - just a month ago. I have a number of Tory friends who have been life-long Tory Party members, two have even sat as an MP Federally, as Tories, they have all told me that they can't bring themselves to support Doug - so when Doug and others go on and on about how 100% of the party is behind them - that's a lie!

Regarding the media thing - in a way you "understand" this. Doug has forever had open disdain for the media. Has called them all "liars" and worse, many times. He get's flustered/flustered easily when asked hard detailed questions, and routinely makes stuff up, openly lies, and/or lashes right back at the media in a combative fashion. So keeping him as far away from the media, for Doug, is a good thing.

But having no policy, no platform, and no access to the media - is this really the kind of person or party that you want as Premier and in power?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
So it looks like, Doug Ford and the PC's will be campaigning with no real platform, limited "policy" and severely restricting the access of the media to Doug Ford - http://nationalpost.com/...xperts#comments-area

This is actually very smart on behalf of his handlers. Maybe they've learned something from previous PC campaigns after all? I can only imagine how much of a field day the media would have if Ford turned up and did something like this <half pink>:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Remember when Stockwell Day came into a campaign/press even on a jetski? The press savaged him for that. If JT did that he would be a rockstar. Look forward to Kathleen playing the gender and phobia card. I really don't like Doug Ford but we need to stop the bleeding in Ontario. Twice as much debt as California and multiples less of an economy.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't. Unsee. Zumba. Video.

Why? Why would you do that?!?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
Remember when Stockwell Day came into a campaign/press even on a jetski? The press savaged him for that. If JT did that he would be a rockstar. Look forward to Kathleen playing the gender and phobia card. I really don't like Doug Ford but we need to stop the bleeding in Ontario. Twice as much debt as California and multiples less of an economy.

Stockwell Day was an absolute fucking moron. The guy that wanted to build more prisons on the premise that sentences were too short and we're just not arresting enough criminals. The most idiotic Harperite ever in my less than humble opinion.

BTW JT is no longer a rock star. He's a pretty face in an empty suit and can't even go to India and dress up in traditional costume without coming off as a clown. But compared to Scheer he's still a genius. I'd never thought I'd vote for Wynne again but Doug Ford?

The Cons aren't going to win by pampering the alt right crowd.
Quote Reply
Re: Doug Ford wins [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'd never thought I'd vote for Wynne again...

Let me guess, you're a member of the English Catholic Teachers ;-)

But hey, what's another $31 million: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/...union-31-million-as/
Last edited by: scobig: Apr 6, 18 19:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wynn is an ideologue as nasty as the alt right. Quebec is now more creditworthy than Ontario https://www.fraserinstitute.org/...tworthy-than-ontario. They have had surplus in each of the last 4 years and are close approaching Ontario's per capita debt. I am currently helping fund a lawsuit against the Ontario College of Physicians and Surgeons who have declared war on docs who try to exercise conscience rights. And it's Kathleen Wynn who pushed them in this direction. I'd like to retire in the province and spent time with my grandkids (If I ever get any). But I don't want to pay for all her nonsense. At this point its becoming personal. I just sent the cons a political donation. Much as I dislike Doug Ford I am willing to roll the dice now.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
len wrote:

Stockwell Day was an absolute fucking moron. The guy that wanted to build more prisons on the premise that sentences were too short and we're just not arresting enough criminals. The most idiotic Harperite ever in my less than humble opinion.

BTW JT is no longer a rock star. He's a pretty face in an empty suit and can't even go to India and dress up in traditional costume without coming off as a clown. But compared to Scheer he's still a genius. I'd never thought I'd vote for Wynne again but Doug Ford?

The Cons aren't going to win by pampering the alt right crowd.

Scheer is far more politically astute than Trudeau ever will be, it's really too bad you're so blind with hatred. OTOH - I am amazed. Was it difficult to post without mentioning an American? That must have taken quite a bit of discipline! Hooray for you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
At this point its becoming personal. I just sent the cons a political donation. Much as I dislike Doug Ford I am willing to roll the dice now.

the trouble with this strategy is always that, sooner or later, the leopard comes back and eats your face, too.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At this point its becoming personal. I just sent the cons a political donation. Much as I dislike Doug Ford I am willing to roll the dice now.

I did the same even though I am struggling to vote for Ford. I hope he surrounds himself with good people. I'm really voting for the Party and not the leader but with the Liberals and NDP determined to increase the size of government and the debt despite a strong economy, there just isn't a reasonable alternative.

Quote Reply
Re: Doug Ford wins [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

I did the same even though I am struggling to vote for Ford. I hope he surrounds himself with good people. I'm really voting for the Party and not the leader but with the Liberals and NDP determined to increase the size of government and the debt despite a strong economy, there just isn't a reasonable alternative.

I was prepared to vote conservative if it was Elliot or Mulroney. Heck, give me any generic politician who can manage some degree of fiscal restraint - in a booming economy no less!

My rule is that you can't complain if you don't vote. My riding is a prominent PC member anyway so I doubt it will change, but I lived through the Rob Ford years in Toronto and have no desire for a province wide repeat.

This might well be the first time I spoil a ballot or deliberately pick a fringe candidate as a protest vote.
Quote Reply
Re: Doug Ford wins [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was prepared to vote conservative if it was Elliot or Mulroney.

I voted in the leadership race and had Mulroney first and Elliott second. I put Ford 4th (you have to rank each candidate) but I only had 1 vote...

Quote Reply
Re: Doug Ford wins [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
I was prepared to vote conservative if it was Elliot or Mulroney.

I voted in the leadership race and had Mulroney first and Elliott second. I put Ford 4th (you have to rank each candidate) but I only had 1 vote...

They didn't call her dad "lyin' Brian" for nothing. Last thing CDN politics is another Mulroney. I'd even vote Ford before anybody connected to that name. But that's just my opinion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
Look forward to Kathleen playing the gender and phobia card.

Looks like Wynne and Horwath are beginning to do this, starting with Tanya Granic Allen? As much as I may not agree with her "social conservatism" if what she says is racist and homophobic (based on the contents of this article alone) I'm honestly going to give up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
scobig wrote:
len wrote:
Look forward to Kathleen playing the gender and phobia card.

Looks like Wynne and Horwath are beginning to do this, starting with Tanya Granic Allen? As much as I may not agree with her "social conservatism" if what she says is racist and homophobic (based on the contents of this article alone) I'm honestly going to give up.

I'm willing to bet that Doug will win but not so sure he will form a majority government, but if he does, the chaos at Queen's Park will make Trump's White House look like Tranquility Palace in comparison to what Doug will bring.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm willing to bet that Doug will win but not so sure he will form a majority government, but if he does, the chaos at Queen's Park will make Trump's White House look like Tranquility Palace in comparison to what Doug will bring.

More big miss-steps for Doug - he said this week that he would fire the head of Hydro One on the first day that he was Premier - sounds good, but it's NOT his responsibility to do that.

Before Doug goes any further and REALLY sticks his foot in his mouth, a regular occurrence with him, he had better go on some deep and detailed primer of what the Premier of Ontario does and what their responsibilities are. He seems way in over his head*. The Ontario economy is the 17 or 18th largest in the world!

* But for supporters this is OK. We don't NEED to have a plumber to do the plumbing, or a heart surgeon to do the heart operation - just some good guy with a few blustery sound bites!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply

Prev Next