Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: This nightmare at MSU keeps getting worse if that's possible [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Weren't you a Navy Seal?

If so, I'm reminded from a scene from the first Jack Reacher movie.

It was something like,"I'll be in your blind spot and that should make you nervous".

I'm sorry to hear about what you and your child had to go through.
Quote Reply
Re: This nightmare at MSU keeps getting worse if that's possible [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dang Steve, so very sorry to hear what you and your daughter went through. I’m glad she’s on the road to recovery.

Quote | Reply
Bumble Bee wrote:
Weren't you a Navy Seal?

It was something like,"I'll be in your blind spot and that should make you nervous".

Steve was an Army Ranger, and a Top Hand at that. He knows what he wants to do, but he also is struggling with what he can do, given the constraints imposed on us by society and our own moral compasses. I wouldn't wish that sort of struggle on anyone who's of goodwill like Steve.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: This nightmare at MSU keeps getting worse if that's possible [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where's theForge when you need him? Dirty deeds done dirt cheap.

Note: I'm not a violent person.

big kahuna wrote:
Bumble Bee wrote:
Weren't you a Navy Seal?

Steve was an Army Ranger, and a Top Hand at that. He knows what he wants to do, but he also is struggling with what he can do, given the constraints imposed on us by society and our own moral compasses. I wouldn't wish that sort of struggle on anyone who's of goodwill like Steve.
Quote Reply
Re: This nightmare at MSU keeps getting worse if that's possible [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
axlsix3 wrote:
Where's theForge when you need him? Dirty deeds done dirt cheap.

Note: I'm not a violent person.

big kahuna wrote:
Bumble Bee wrote:
Weren't you a Navy Seal?

I once was, long ago. Some people just need killing. Like Nassar, for example. It's not my place, nor do I have a rigjt, to discuss Steve's tragedy.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve, I'm really sorry that you have to deal with that terrible shit. I'm a father of two teenage girls myself, and I can't even imagine your pain, but it still hits me closer to home than maybe most. I've written and erased about five different sets of advice, it all seemed too trite. Let me just say, though I've heard few details, I'm inspired by you and your daughter's story, and I'm pulling for the both of you for whatever part still lies ahead.
Quote Reply
Re: This nightmare at MSU keeps getting worse if that's possible [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm certainly not making light of the situation and I don't know who would wish that situation on anybody. Really, I'm thinking that POS may be nervous if he knows Steve's background. That's all I was thinking.

I do believe countries in the south Pacific among other regions have criminal punishment figured out better than us. But then entities like the ACLU cry foul.
Last edited by: Bumble Bee: Jan 27, 18 14:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve, as a father of two teenage girls my heart breaks reading what happened to your daughter. I hope stories like this help other women and men understand what happens in the real world and why we all need to be on guard.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: This nightmare at MSU keeps getting worse if that's possible [Kentcart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From what I heard, Dantonio and Izzo had a combined 16 cases of players committing sexual assault and covering it up.

The punishment for one player was he had to tell his mom.

Um, are you fucking kidding me?

I guess the Nassar thing has brought this other stuff to light.
Quote Reply
Re: This nightmare at MSU keeps getting worse if that's possible [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumble Bee wrote:
From what I heard, Dantonio and Izzo had a combined 16 cases of players committing sexual assault and covering it up.

Your hearing things wrong.

Last year Dantonio had for players accused of sexual assault (two incidents). When the accusations were made, the players were suspended. When charges were filed, the players were dismissed. These 4 are counted in the 16, I'm not sure what else Dantonio could have done. There certainly was no cover up in this case. Most of the other incident consisted of accusations and investigations that lead to no charges.

There are certainly issues, but 16 incidents being covered up is just fake news. The witch hunt is feeding this type of misinformation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn’t even know what to say. There’s probably nothing to say, really. But I’m sorry you and your family went through this and are still going through the aftermath. Peace and Godspeed, virtual friend.

Steve Hawley wrote:
I've made a obvious decision to be public here on this board. Nothing further to say on this particular matter

My heart breaks; it aches; I am in pain for the parents of these girls and even more so for them. These things tear me up. I never thought of myself as a pussy but i've never cried so much. It's just terrible

GOD DAMN

there is a lot of evil in this world. sometimes it comes into your life and that really sucks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
i am on a yearly Bible reading study and i pray hard about stuff like this. Why such evil is allowed to exist?

Between this question and your other question about reading, there’s a book I can suggest that might be good for you at this time — What is the Bible? by Rob Bell. I’d be happy to Amazon Prime a new copy to you if you’re interested, just PM me your info. No pressure, no worries if it’s not at all what you’d like.

I often think of the words of Elie Wiesel with this question. He describes a scene in Auschwitz where multiple prisoners are being hung to their death, others forced to watch. Two bodies immediately died. Another hung, wriggling, writhing, struggling just to die, the body of a young boy. One prisoner pointer and begged, “Where is God in a time like this?” Another pointed to the dying boy, “There. There is God, hanging to die.” That could be interpreted a million ways. This isn’t the thread for me to discuss my take on that and the idea of God, but it’s a scene I cannot help but think of with this question of evil and God’s place.

Peace to you.
Quote Reply
Re: This nightmare at MSU keeps getting worse if that's possible [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumble Bee wrote:

The punishment for one player was he had to tell his mom.

Um, are you fucking kidding me?

I guess the Nassar thing has brought this other stuff to light.

BS like that is why the ENTIRE school has to be punished. You don't get BS like this if EVERYONE, including the student body, is made to feel the sting of sanctions and consequences. Sorry, but sometimes collective punishment is indeed the answer. I think it's appropriate in this case.

It's obvious that at Michigan State, as well as the University of Michigan and other big league Division 1 schools, the student body tolerates a lot more from the elite athletes then would be tolerated in society generally. This is why I say the entire school should face the consequences. What those consequences are, probably adds up to criminal, civil as well as NCAA sanctions.

My personal recommendation would be the death penalty for the entire athletics department, as a way of sending a message to the others and encouraging them to do good and obey the rules in the future.

As with other state schools here in Michigan, Michigan State University is a public institution and the public should have a say in what is done with it. This was a monstrous, horrific crime, that was apparently tolerated as well as hidden by the school, from all available reports. There can be no light punishments as regards this tragedy.

Last edited by: big kahuna: Jan 27, 18 16:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a friend told me when his children were born he felt this overwhelming sense of responsibility. i never felt that. i just wanted them to be healthy. now they are, the only thing that worries me is something happening to them

i am really sorry. i am really glad to read she has found someone who makes her happy. congrats on the wedding.
Quote Reply
Re: This nightmare at MSU keeps getting worse if that's possible [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The process of how they were investigated and handled is what is under investigation:

Exhibit A

Exhibit B

If these stories hold water, it continues to paint a picture of a sexually hostile environment that seeps throughout the entire campus. This is relevant to both the civil lawsuits and potential future criminal cases.

The reason there is a "witch hunt" is because of the careless and callous reaction by the top administration for over 16 months. This was brought upon MSU by it's "leadership."

There are three kinds of people, those who can count, and those who can't.
Quote Reply
Re: This nightmare at MSU keeps getting worse if that's possible [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
Bumble Bee wrote:

Your hearing things wrong.

Last year Dantonio had for players accused of sexual assault (two incidents). When the accusations were made, the players were suspended. When charges were filed, the players were dismissed. These 4 are counted in the 16, I'm not sure what else Dantonio could have done. There certainly was no cover up in this case. Most of the other incident consisted of accusations and investigations that lead to no charges.

There are certainly issues, but 16 incidents being covered up is just fake news. The witch hunt is feeding this type of misinformation.

Both Izzo and Dantonio have said they will not resign. I'd bet my 401K that neither will be coaching at MSU next season. I'd like to see Izzo get shitcanned/resign before THIS season ends.

In today's climate there's no way they survive this. No way.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: This nightmare at MSU keeps getting worse if that's possible [r7950] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
r7950 wrote:
The process of how they were investigated and handled is what is under investigation:

Exhibit A

Exhibit B

If these stories hold water, it continues to paint a picture of a sexually hostile environment that seeps throughout the entire campus. This is relevant to both the civil lawsuits and potential future criminal cases.

The reason there is a "witch hunt" is because of the careless and callous reaction by the top administration for over 16 months. This was brought upon MSU by it's "leadership."

There's something seriously wrong up in East Lansing as well as over at the NCAA:

Report: NCAA President Mark Emmert Was Personally Informed About 37 MSU Athlete Sex Assault Cases In 2010, Did Nothing.

Man, it's as if the NCAA is really nothing more than a cartel that's been constituted to protect universities, and not good guys at all, whaddaya think?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is awful. Glad to hear your daughter is working it out and living life.
Quote Reply
Re: This nightmare at MSU keeps getting worse if that's possible [r7950] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
r7950 wrote:

You are absolutely right, and it should be investigated. I was just correcting the statement that 16 football assaults were covered up. Nobody is reporting that. Your exhibit A suggests that 1 incident was handled by Dantonio himself, which he has denied. The narrative against MSU is serious enough, it does not need to be exaggerated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry to hear what you went through. I am a Father of two girls, 4 &1. Im scared this is the society they are going up in. I can't believe my wife and I will have to tell them soon what is appropriate touching and what isn't. I can't believe they may go to a school that will put cash over morals, and that there are creeps all over the world. I feel like I'm going to have to teach them it's ok to knee a guy in the nuts if they need to.

I am not a big strong intimidating guy, but sometimes I wonder if I should start lifting to help defend or prevent these creeps from thinking about my daughters. It won't help, but the remote chance....

I hope investigators make everyone who knew about this guy and the culture pay dearly. I'm ok if the whole big sports culture goes away at this point, we are giving these people too much power.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Steve Hawley wrote:
What a horror story no parent wants to live thru nor see their daughter suffer thru?

We went thru this and it's one of the reasons I'm still doing contract work for the govt as we burned thru virtually all our savings trying to keep our daughter alive. Drugged and raped at a college party; months later a very valid suicide attempt and angry when she woke up alive in the ER. God DAMN.

tears streaming down my face as i type this. GOD DAMN

well she is back up finally and engaged in life. Just married her off to a young man that really loves her. A couple of years ago i would not have thought this possible as we were struggling just to keep her alive. But what a world of pain and recrimination.

Dude perpetrating the crime is still in prison but will be out in a few years--thinking on that

No fucking way!

Not with a member of my family either. I have contemplated where my limits are and just how easily retribution could be obtained. Somebody would be missing and never found.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Bumble Bee wrote:
Weren't you a Navy Seal?

Nicely stated.
Quote Reply
Re: This nightmare at MSU keeps getting worse if that's possible [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So if you wonder how things like this can happen, and why the victim's don't speak up here is one account from a nonMSU student.

http://www.cm-life.com/...tatement-jan-30-2018

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: This nightmare at MSU keeps getting worse if that's possible [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
The more you read about what went on at MSU (and probably many other schools) the scarier the story gets:

http://www.espn.com/...rry-nassar-case-espn

This "news" story, is starting to generate a lot of questions, but not about MSU. Seem's ESPN needs to provide some more evidence, as there is more and more questions being generated, and the timing seems convenient.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: This nightmare at MSU keeps getting worse if that's possible [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:

This "news" story, is starting to generate a lot of questions, but not about MSU. Seem's ESPN needs to provide some more evidence, as there is more and more questions being generated, and the timing seems convenient.

I'm reluctant to defend the University because there are certainly issues that need to be addressed, but the ESPN piece was really poor journalism. They essentially reported a bunch of second hand information (third hand for ESPN) from a former employee and then used "documents" that she wrote as verification.

They reported Travis Walton was charged with rape with no evidence of even an accusation. They have since walked back that claim while Walton was fired from his D-League coaching job. Adriene Payne was accused of assault in 2010, the DA refused to press charges and said publicly, "we don't believe a crime was committed". Now he's been released from the Orlando Magic 8 years later. ESPN seems more concerned with clicks than actually finding the truth.
Quote Reply

Prev Next