Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Las Vegas shooting [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, the woman close to me also ran out into traffic.

She also had thoughts of doing things I don’t care to discuss.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Las Vegas shooting [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knewbike wrote:
That is an odd side effect for Valium.

Personally, I'd never head of this phenomenon in all the time I spent in the medical side of the house, including working with a physician at an outpatient clinic on base who gave it out like it was candy. But it's at heart a psychotropic -- though it mostly makes you not care about the thing that's giving you anxiety -- and anything's possible when it comes to the brain and brain chemistry, I guess.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Las Vegas shooting [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
knewbike wrote:

Personally, I'd never head of this phenomenon in all the time I spent in the medical side of the house, including working with a physician at an outpatient clinic on base who gave it out like it was candy. But it's at heart a psychotropic -- though it mostly makes you not care about the thing that's giving you anxiety -- and anything's possible when it comes to the brain and brain chemistry, I guess.

Yes. It's a mask like alcohol and not a treatment. Better off with an SSRI like Paxil or Zoloft. Or smoke some weed.
Quote Reply
Re: Las Vegas shooting [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Killer was on medication....

http://thehill.com/...i-anxiety-medication

Someone very close to me was on this and she stopped taking it because she started having suicidal and murderous thoughts (something that never happened before taking the meds).

Will we hear calls to ban this drug? Nope.

My mom was put on an anti-anxiety medication two years ago. She'd been struggling with her marriage but, otherwise, she'd been solid as a rock for her whole life: never had a drop of alcohol, self-made business woman, super-mom, etc.

Within a month of taking those meds she'd had three violent, destructive outbursts at home where she just flipped and started smashing vases, china, etc *AND* she attempted to commit suicide twice (both times by running out into traffic, by some miracle she wasn't hit either time).

Difficulty in figuring it out for any given individual is that people who are have anxiety can also be short tempered and prone to suicide. If the anxiety was long-standing and then she changed with the drugs that would make a good argument for the drugs being the cause, or she goes off the drugs and the symptoms go away.

I thought SSRIs (anti-depressants) were the standard treatment for anxiety nowadays because of the high risk of addiction and limited effectiveness of drugs like valium?
Quote Reply
Re: Las Vegas shooting [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When she discontinued her anti-anxiety meds she reset to just having mild anxiety. I understand that the effects of these drugs can vary and one user does not represent a whole group but, IMO, the side effects of these drugs are such that I think much more study is warranted.
Quote Reply
Re: Las Vegas shooting [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knewbike wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
knewbike wrote:

Yes. It's a mask like alcohol and not a treatment. Better off with an SSRI like Paxil or Zoloft. Or smoke some weed.

Smoking weed makes me more anxious.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Las Vegas shooting [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It now appears that the shooter was planning to get away (not sure how they know this) and that he had ammonium nitrate in his car.

Any theories on how a guy is supposed to get out of the hotel after his shooting? Does it point to an accomplice? Was he planning on doing further damage with a bomb?

As time goes by, there seems to be more questions than answers.
Quote Reply
Re: Las Vegas shooting [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
knewbike wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
knewbike wrote:

Smoking weed makes me more anxious.

Why would you be anxious, sir?

Duffy's grow room: ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Las Vegas shooting [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
It now appears that the shooter was planning to get away (not sure how they know this) and that he had ammonium nitrate in his car.

This was the same press conference where the sheriff (or whoever it was speaking) said we're not going to speculate...and then speculated he must have had help because of how sophisticated his preparation was.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

Someone very close to me was on this and she stopped taking it because she started having suicidal and murderous thoughts (something that never happened before taking the meds).

Interesting. Benzos are sometimes used by poker players to calm nerves at the table and minimize tells. Beta blockers are used for the same thing.

Although, from what I hear, stimulants like adderall are way more common in this setting. For obvious reasons.

That would be an interesting spin -- side effects from his poker PEDs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If they are going to speculate, which they will, I would be thinking that if there is a suggestion of an accomplice, it would be to help him get out of there. I can see how someone could get the guns in and do the planning on his own but not sure how he would get out without some help.

I also wonder what he was planning with the bomb material in his car. That does make it appear that he was planning to go back to his car at some point.

Of course, I don't want to speculate...
Last edited by: Sanuk: Oct 5, 17 9:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

This was the same press conference where the sheriff (or whoever it was speaking) said we're not going to speculate...and then speculated he must have had help because of how sophisticated his preparation was.

There seems to be a strong focus on the amount of guns and ammo in his room and that he must have had help because of the quantity. What am I missing here? Vegas is a convention town, its very routing for people coming in to have very large, very heavy pelican cases full of equipment. This is the norm, not the exception.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

//

no kidding just the facts mam..He was going to try to escape, Houdini could not have escaped from that room. He had to have had help, or he was a super hero( little fuck up there from the sheriff) well super villain if he in deed pulled this off solo? Really, you have to be a genius to buy guns over the counter, and then put them in suit cases to be carried up to your suite? Or is the genius in being able to pull a trigger and shoot into 20k people with an automatic working weapon and actually hitting people? These are the attributes we are assigning to genius now?

A moron could have done this, well our president at the very least...
Quote Reply
Re: Las Vegas shooting [AndyPeterson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Interesting. Benzos are sometimes used by poker players to calm nerves at the table and minimize tells. Beta blockers are used for the same thing.

He played video poker, though. Don't think he had to worry about minimizing tells.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Las Vegas shooting [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There seems to be a strong focus on the amount of guns and ammo in his room and that he must have had help because of the quantity. What am I missing here? Vegas is a convention town, its very routing for people coming in to have very large, very heavy pelican cases full of equipment.

It confuses me too. I think people assume that if you have 10 suitcases, you have to take them all up at once, there's just no way to make a series of trips with one or two suitcases at a time...no one could think of that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
There seems to be a strong focus on the amount of guns and ammo in his room and that he must have had help because of the quantity. What am I missing here? Vegas is a convention town, its very routing for people coming in to have very large, very heavy pelican cases full of equipment.

It confuses me too. I think people assume that if you have 10 suitcases, you have to take them all up at once, there's just no way to make a series of trips with one or two suitcases at a time...no one could think of that.

My guess is it will turn out he was hiding in plain sight the entire time. We tend to mind our own business, after all, and we're remarkably accommodating of eccentricities.

Also, there are some things the girlfriend is saying about not knowing a single thing about his plans -- what with guns laying all around the house -- that don't pass the smell test.

Quote Reply
Re: Las Vegas shooting [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We could speculate until the cows come home. Maybe he wasn't going to make an escape attempt. Maybe he had two plans and went with shooting over bombing. Maybe he planned to blow up his car and then do a later shooting.

Whatever it was, it's crazy. He went crazy. And we'll probably be left with more questions than answers. Again.

monty wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

//

no kidding just the facts mam..He was going to try to escape, Houdini could not have escaped from that room. He had to have had help, or he was a super hero( little fuck up there from the sheriff) well super villain if he in deed pulled this off solo? Really, you have to be a genius to buy guns over the counter, and then put them in suit cases to be carried up to your suite? Or is the genius in being able to pull a trigger and shoot into 20k people with an automatic working weapon and actually hitting people? These are the attributes we are assigning to genius now?

A moron could have done this, well our president at the very least...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

My guess is it will turn out he was hiding in plain sight the entire time. We tend to mind our own business, after all, and we're remarkably accommodating of eccentricities.

Also, there are some things the girlfriend is saying about not knowing a single thing about his plans -- what with guns laying all around the house -- that don't pass the smell test.

Possibly. There was a time I had an obscene amount of bikes and equipment in our shed I honestly don't think my wife cared, or had a clue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For some, it does.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

People wanna talk about the big, bad NRA and their powerful lobby. I know Big Pharma is criticized all the time but never as it relates to gun violence and yet most of the individuals who commit mass murders are on some medication and have a history of mental health issues.

Point the finger at Pharma and our doped up citizenry...how many people are walking clinics these days?

Gun Rights lobby spending, 2017: $5.7MM
https://www.opensecrets.org/...dusclient.php?id=Q13

Gun Control lobby spending, 2017: $868K
https://www.opensecrets.org/...dusclient.php?id=Q12

Pharma lobby spending, 2017: $144MM, TWENTY FIVE TIMES what gun lobbyists spend.
https://www.opensecrets.org/...dusclient.php?id=h04

Guns serve a purpose in some capacity but can also be incredibly dangerous to the person using the gun as well as those around the gun owner. Medication serves a purpose in some capacity but can also be incredibly dangerous to the person using the medication as well as those around the medicated individual. I think we way over-prescribe medication and way under-utilize mental health clinics and psychologists.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

I think I read he collected them over a 30 year period. Not sure about that but I thought I read that somewhere. I wouldn't find it odd of an avid gun nut to have that many guns over that time period.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

Any theories on how a guy is supposed to get out of the hotel after his shooting? Does it point to an accomplice? Was he planning on doing further damage with a bomb?

As time goes by, there seems to be more questions than answers.

Some of the first reports I heard where that there was video and photo's of him with his GF in the days up to the shooting at the hotel. Then it was found out his GF was out of the country. So who was the lady seen with him in the photo's and video's? Granted it could be anyone. Someone he met there to pass the time with, but that seemed odd.

I wonder if he was hoping to park the car close to the concert or somewhere he could shoot it and the tanerite turning it into a bomb? or to ignite it.
Quote Reply
Re: Las Vegas shooting [Garry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder if he was hoping to park the car close to the concert or somewhere he could shoot it and the tanerite turning it into a bomb? or to ignite it.

I don't know if the "bomb" in the car was ready to go or if he just had ingredients to potentially make a bomb. I do find it interesting that he planned to escape, I assume he felt he could get out of the hotel, back to his car and then do something with the bomb material. Maybe he had another place set up from where he could inflict more damage.

But I'm not going to speculate...

Quote Reply
Re: Las Vegas shooting [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I read he collected them over a 30 year period. Not sure about that but I thought I read that somewhere. I wouldn't find it odd of an avid gun nut to have that many guns over that time period. //

Well if he buys his first gun in the 80's and a few here and there, and then something like 33 in the past year, would you find that odd?? He did not buy 2 guns a year for 30 years, I think the # people are focused on are the ones in the last year or so, 30+. Now many will not find that weird at all either, but I think most people would find it a bit odd( providing you are not an antique/collector of some sorts)
Quote Reply
Re: Las Vegas shooting [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
30 guns in a year isn’t all that unusual.

My dad was a collector (wasn’t really into AR-15 types but he did have a couple M1 Carbines) back in the 70s and 80s and it wouldn’t be at all unusual to see 30-40 guns come and go in a year’s time.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply

Prev Next