Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Las Vegas shooting [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

Again, wild speculation, but not impossible.

Pretty wild. That'd make more sense if like it was an assassination of a single high-profile person. JKF type deal.
Quote Reply
Re: Las Vegas shooting [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or just a run of the mill terrorist attack.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Las Vegas shooting [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
orphious wrote:
ISIS is now claiming responsibility. Claiming the shooter converted to Islam months before the shooting. Not sure I buy that story.

His girlfriend is of Indonesian decent....

But, yeah, seems unlikely.

Sounds like complete BS. Opportunistic BS to boot.

But even if he did convert to Islam a few months ago, no one in their right mind goes from 0-Jihadi assassin that fast. "Right mind" being the key thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Duffy wrote:

Again, wild speculation, but not impossible.

Pretty wild. That'd make more sense if like it was an assassination of a single high-profile person. JKF type deal.

Honestly, this sounds more like the 1984 San Ysidro McDonalds shooting, at least in the way the shooter conducted business. James Huberty entered the store fully armed and ready to kill, and proceeded to do so.

Huberty's life was spinning out of control at that point, and he determined to go out in what he perceived to be a blaze of glory, I guess. I have no idea what motivated this Las Vegas shooter, but some reports say he was in the midst of a divorce, and owned a relatively expensive home, at least for his income level. Perhaps it all became just too much for him?

Again, I have no idea what motivated this gentleman nor why he selected that venue and proceeded to fire on innocents from 30 stories above. Perhaps it was the softest target he could think of at that point?

Some news reports also say that he had 10 rifles lined up in his hotel room, each fully charged with a magazine, and that he generated so much gunpowder smoke from firing so rapidly that the room's smoke detectors went off. He also had set up some sort of video surveillance that could tell him when the police were closing in.

All of this, combined with the fact that he may have used fully automatic weapons, suggest that a lot of planning went into his act.

I've said it before: some people just want to watch the world burn.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Las Vegas shooting [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
trail wrote:
It's really hard to figure out motive. Old white guy firing into a country music festival just doesn't check any of the boxes in the usual mass shooting checklist.

It checks the most common element: mental illness.

That's second most common element; The most common element in mass shootings being possession of firearm(s).

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Las Vegas shooting [hank rearden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I'm struck by how far the hotel is from the Music festival. For some reason I pictured it right above where the people were located.
Quote Reply
Re: Las Vegas shooting [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had the news on in my office most of the morning. Every time I turn around the casualty numbers keep climbing. Horrible, just truly horrible. 58 killed and over 500 wounded. Can't imagine the grief some woke up to today.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
It's really hard to figure out motive. Old white guy firing into a country music festival just doesn't check any of the boxes in the usual mass shooting checklist.

Ask Dirtnap. Antifa.
Quote Reply
Re: Las Vegas shooting [justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the best I can work out: cone of fire north to south was about twenty degrees. East to west was closer to five degrees. So long as he had some rudimentary knowledge, he may not have had any formal training.

Quote Reply
Re: Las Vegas shooting [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
I have had the news on in my office most of the morning. Every time I turn around the casualty numbers keep climbing. Horrible, just truly horrible. 58 killed and over 500 wounded. Can't imagine the grief some woke up to today.

I was up late last night when this came on. When I went to bed they were talking about 2 dead. I'm sitting here today kind of numb. I'd really rather read and talk about anything but this.

And I'm really feeling like punching people in the nose who are being assholes about it right now. It is a good thing I can't reach through the internet.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Las Vegas shooting [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
he generated so much gunpowder smoke from firing so rapidly that the room’s
I would bet he wasn’t ready for the choking smoke. It probably caught him by surprise and slowed him down . he may have even panicked.

sometimes
Quote Reply
Re: Las Vegas shooting [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am pretty sure that in the event of 10's of thousands in a confined space and assuming an individual were not blind and had sufficient physical capacity to point and pull a trigger they could cause chaos........in those circumstances how much training is really needed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Geez, that's a pretty long shot.

Re: Las Vegas shooting [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:

Not really, especially when you are aiming at a crowd as opposed to a single person. If the shooter was aiming for the performer, and hit one, I would agree he had some training. But, anyone can point at a crowd and pull a trigger.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Las Vegas shooting [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
trail wrote:

Maybe a throwback to the original mass shooting from the Texas Bell Tower. Sometimes people have organic brain diseases that make them psychotic, paranoid, etc. Maybe he lost a ton of money in Vegas and was "getting back" at the town. People have all kinds of illogical thought processes.

Who knows at this point?

People don't fully grasp how fine a line it is between normal and crazy. Like you said It could be something like a newly formed tumor that can radically effect your behavior. That is what scares me about the "screening" for firearms. It cannot detect that you are going to lose your mind in 5 years. It is as doing a limited assessment of behavior at that point in time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

That was my reaction too. Given that distance, there are a lot of situations where a single shooter could do a lot of damage.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
This is the best I can work out: cone of fire north to south was about twenty degrees. East to west was closer to five degrees. So long as he had some rudimentary knowledge, he may not have had any formal training.

Early reports said he was an "avid hunter." That would be more than enough weapons familiarity to pull this off.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Las Vegas shooting [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
400 yards to the front of the stage per google.

Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:
400 yards to the front of the stage per google.

In Army basic training, newbies who have never fired a rifle before have to shoot a pop up target 300 yards away using only iron sights. 400 yards from an elevated vantage point with a scope is not very difficult, especially when firing into a crowd instead of a single target.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What good is a scope on full auto?

(ETA: I'm not trying to be a dick)

Last edited by: last tri in 83: Oct 2, 17 9:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:
What good is a scope on full auto?

On a single target? Useless. In a crowd? It keeps the barrel in the general direction necessary to inflict maximum damage.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You would need something higher caliber like .308 to kill this many, right? Raining down .223 doesn't seem like it would kill 58 people at 400 yards.

Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:
You would need something higher caliber like .308 to kill this many, right? Raining down .223 doesn't seem like it would kill 58 people at 400 yards.

Not necessarily. If it was a SAW (m249) effective range for a point target is 600 m and for an area target 800 m and it fires a 5.56 round.

For an M16, max effective range for a point target is 602 yards (550 m) and for an area target 875 yards (800 m) firing 5.56.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
.223 would be plenty lethal at that range. Even a .22LR could kill at that range if you spray into a crowd and hit the right spots a few times. It did sound to me like a larger caliber however.
Quote Reply
Re: Las Vegas shooting [tri_kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_kid wrote:
orphious wrote:
tri_kid wrote:
slowguy wrote:
BLeP wrote:
tri_kid wrote:
BLeP wrote:
sphere wrote:
Quote:
I mean, how can you kneel during the anthem after this shit?

They'll find a way.

What does this shooting have to do with kneeling during the anthem?

Innocent people getting shot? Yes, but no.

Well, the country is supposed to be in morning after 50+ people have been gunned down and over 400 injured. So if some black guy wants to take a knee over his BLM SJW cause, I'd say its "tone def" because thats not what people are thinking about when the anthem is played. Heck, Puerto Rico should be enough to get these guys off their knees unless they want to protest that too.

So the anthem is to pay respects to your country... nope... pay respects to the millitary... nope... think about victims of shootings... It's hard to keep up.

As Dan said, can we leave this childishness aside? This incident and NFL protests have little to nothing to do with each other. I'd recommend not engaging in tri-kid's trolling.

Trolling? I think you'll hear about it in the media, perhaps some on-line newspaper or even some mainstream one in the next few days about how this shooting will effect the kneeling. I'm not saying it should or shouldn't, I'm just saying what will happen. I'll post them. Send you the links. If no one in the mainstream media mentions it, I'll even admit to trolling but I guarantee you the association will be made quite soon.

So go post in the anthem thread.

Here is your first taste of the trolling...https://www.longroom.com/...-these-guys-stood-up

This is how people think. Even if the shooting has nothing to do with the anthem protests, this is how Americans think.

When you push and push for people to think a specific way, those who are unable to think for themselves will follow. As others have said, go post there, that shit doesn't need to be here.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply

Prev Next