Quote | Reply
I just sent you a PM.
Quote Reply
Re: Irma [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.theguardian.com/...ic-caribbean-islands

GOAT of Atlantic Hurricanes.

Not good...

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Irma [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Carribean is going be in a world of hurt after this. If it keeps staying on the line they are looking at so could the Keys.

I told one of my friends in Naples he can come up to Disney and stay with us. if it doesn't look like we're in the pathway since Naples very well could be hit real hard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
treimink wrote:
Francois wrote:
Funny, I was going to post about it. So who is getting ready for it here besides me?

I am, in Miami. I told my wife to fly to her sister's house in NOLA and take our 7 week old son w/ her. She declined. Doesn't want to abandon me or the dog. Probably mainly the dog.

It's too early to panic but not too early to prepare. They just cancelled Miami-Dade schools on Thursday. UM is closed for the week i believe.

Your wife needs her head examined

She wisened up. Flying to Nola. She did admit that she doesn't want to leave the dog behind with me.

Truth be told, I kinda sorta want to see this thing first hand.
Quote Reply
Re: Irma [treimink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
crate and take the freaking dog - while at it, take you too!
Quote Reply
Re: Irma [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
And? They don't even know I feel it will hit mainland Florida yet or what path it will take if it does.

If the eye goes through Naples and back out to the gulf most of Florida won't be affected.

I wasn't debating that it's a big hurricane or that it'll do damage where it hits.

And it's so damned strong that it doesn't matter where it hits: you get out of any path it might take.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Irma [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
Dirt fighter wrote:
Moonrocket wrote:
My brother is in Naples too. He wants sandbags. Do you think they help? I'm planning on getting some and fedexing them as amazon is out of anything for delivery this week. But there is still availability at stores in Colorado.
Some areas are pretty sturated just from the heavy summer rain season. Fire depts are giving them out but the lines are huge. If theres lots o rain ,old naples area and some parts of bonita springs are gonna need sand bags.

Thanks! I just shipped him 50 bags. He just bought his house two weeks ago- but says it is draining well in the current rain and is one of the higher houses in Naples park. Any other tips for a newcomer in prepping? He is putting up hurricane shutters.
Hes fairly close to the coast. If the storm turns up to the north just off the beach its gonna bring in alot of storm surge. Some of the models are showing more of a track to the east . Lets just hope that trend continues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Friend of mine was at Disney for a hurricane a few years ago. They closed the parks the day the storm hit and went down to minimum staff. He was at the Grand Floridian which apparently has a large glass atrium where a guy played piano most of the day. My buddy said it was like a scene from the Titanic.
Quote Reply
Re: Irma [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The models have shifted it right in my back yard. I'm hoping it continues the eastward trend, which I think it will. At least we won't get the north east quadrant (Typically the worst part of the storm.) that way.

The stores are completely out if water and I spent a half hour in line yesterday filling my car with gas. I spent another 2 hours at Home depot because two of my windows are unprotected and the wood we had rotted from not being used.

I've taken more Xanax in the last few days than I have in a month. My stomach is in knots and I can't eat.

I'm at zip code 33462, you can google that to see where the storm is relative to my house.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
treimink wrote:
windywave wrote:
treimink wrote:
Francois wrote:
Funny, I was going to post about it. So who is getting ready for it here besides me?

I am, in Miami. I told my wife to fly to her sister's house in NOLA and take our 7 week old son w/ her. She declined. Doesn't want to abandon me or the dog. Probably mainly the dog.

It's too early to panic but not too early to prepare. They just cancelled Miami-Dade schools on Thursday. UM is closed for the week i believe.

Your wife needs her head examined

She wisened up. Flying to Nola. She did admit that she doesn't want to leave the dog behind with me.

Stay safe. Have her go to Pat O's and raise one for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
We're flying down to Orlando tomorrow morning and for Disney till the end of next week. My parents are driving down tonight. Worse case if it looks like we're gonna get more than wet we'll just drive back up to auburn for Sunday/Monday and head back down Tuesday.

I get with Harvey fresh on everyone's mind that people are a little on edge. However. You'd think based out my cousins and uncles reaction all of Florida will be destroyed and uninhabitable for years. No one even knows where in Florida it may hit at this points.

I never realized that Disney World was so limited to when you could visit.
Quote Reply
Re: Irma [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My former and wife's current employer, Nationwide, pulled out of Florida for both auto and homeowner's for the most part a few years ago because the exposure was too high. That decision is looking like a pretty good one right now. Wow, looking like it will run end to end.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Are you staying ?

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Irma [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
Quote:

Are you staying ?

I hope to. I have impact windows, generator, jugs of H2O and stores of food. I'm in coconut grove...Not in a flood zone.

I know, a cat 4/5 laughs at that level of prep but I'd feel safer at home w the pup then on the road headed to Tampa or Daytona.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
treimink wrote:
Leddy wrote:
Quote:

Are you staying ?

I hope to. I have impact windows, generator, jugs of H2O and stores of food. I'm in coconut grove...Not in a flood zone.

I know, a cat 4/5 laughs at that level of prep but I'd feel safer at home w the pup then on the road headed to Tampa or Daytona.

You got enough beer to last too? Just making sure you're completely prepared.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
treimink wrote:
Leddy wrote:
Quote:

Are you staying ?

My brother rode out one when he lived in FL. It wasn't supposed to be bad but something shifted and they got hit pretty good. He said it was like a train running over the house with the shaking and noise.

Stay safe if it hits.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Cat 5... two choices right now.... hit FL or go into the Gulf... I'd pick FL ro preserve energy infrastructure (also could head north and glancing blow to the Carolinas)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Irma [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"The worst hurricane in recorded history"

LOL. Lots of people are starting to sound like Trump, big on rhetoric, not so much on facts...
Last edited by: Sanuk: Sep 6, 17 8:35
Quote Reply
Re: Irma [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

LOL. Lots of people are starting to sound like Trump, big on rhetoric, not so much on facts...

It's the strongest Atlantic hurricane on record IIRC from the news brief this morning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The quote above: "Texas: We just had the worst hurricane in recorded history" is what I was referring to in terms of facts...
Quote Reply
Re: Irma [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:
We're flying down to Orlando tomorrow morning and for Disney till the end of next week. My parents are driving down tonight. Worse case if it looks like we're gonna get more than wet we'll just drive back up to auburn for Sunday/Monday and head back down Tuesday.

I get with Harvey fresh on everyone's mind that people are a little on edge. However. You'd think based out my cousins and uncles reaction all of Florida will be destroyed and uninhabitable for years. No one even knows where in Florida it may hit at this points.

I never realized that Disney World was so limited to when you could visit.

Especially since they are probably going to close'er down.
Quote Reply
Re: Irma [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
windywave wrote:
Cat 5... two choices right now.... hit FL or go into the Gulf... I'd pick FL ro preserve energy infrastructure (also could head north and glancing blow to the Carolinas)

Latest models have it moving east, which is the best of all possible scenarios.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in Savannah, GA, which is on the coast of GA, on the SC border. The current truth is that we're right in the crosshairs. We got whacked last Fall, but usually the Hurricanes miss us to the N and hit Charleston (SC), or miss us to the S and hit Jacksonville (FL). But I'm always the optimist.

Last Fall's hurricane was a pita. We fled inland for 3 days. I got to town as soon as they allowed folks to re-enter the county. Family came home the next day. Our block was w/o power for several more days. We have a generator so were able to run the main fridge and the beer fridge.

Work was kind of a mess. I'm in IT and all of our voice links and 3 of 4 data links were down. So re-routing voice and data traffic time and again as our external links slowly came back up was a 24/7 pita. Didn't sleep for a couple days. Was like being back in the Army.

Wife wants to go ahead and rent a cabin in the N GA Mountains and have us head our with the boys and the dogs. But I need to stay closer to work. There'll be some discussions of this tonight.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: Irma [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
The quote above: "Texas: We just had the worst hurricane in recorded history" is what I was referring to in terms of facts...

By measure of economic impact, Harvey will have been the most costliest storm in history.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

It's the strongest Atlantic hurricane on record IIRC from the news brief this morning

Irma is the strongest hurricane ever to make landfall in the Caribbean.
Harvey wasn't even the strongest ever to hit Huston! 1900 Galveston was both stronger(15 mph faster) and the most deadly hurricane ever to hit the US. Harvey and 1900 were cat 4. Irma is a 5. So was Andrew and katrina. Matthew last year. Ivan and Hugo
Quote Reply

Prev Next