Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Irma [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:
windywave wrote:
Brownie28 wrote:
All i know is the Dolphins-Bucs game will likely have to be relocated or moved to an earlier date. So that's a major inconvenience for us NFL fans, which is pretty devastating.

I forget, does Brady underinflate or overinflate for hurricane force winds?
Neither, hurricanes form in low pressure environments so the ball will automatically deflate itself, like friggin magic!

However, due to the very significant pressure drop a hurricane brings with it he may actually need to inflate. I hope the Pats have a good meteorologist on staff.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Re: Irma [lisac957] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Been through a number of hurricanes. Couldn't imagine a tornado. I guess it comes down to what you know. Plus hurricane parties can be fun.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Irma [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
Funny, I was going to post about it. So who is getting ready for it here besides me?

I am, in Miami. I told my wife to fly to her sister's house in NOLA and take our 7 week old son w/ her. She declined. Doesn't want to abandon me or the dog. Probably mainly the dog.

It's too early to panic but not too early to prepare. They just cancelled Miami-Dade schools on Thursday. UM is closed for the week i believe.
Quote Reply
Re: Irma [treimink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We're in Gainesville, so probably safer than you, but still, it's worrisome. Grocery stores have not been emptied yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Irma [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Parents live in Port St. Lucie. Father started boarding up the windows. This will be their 2nd hurricane since they moved down 5-6 years ago.
Quote Reply
Re: Irma [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im in Naples . Will be putting up storm shutters all day tomorrow and thursday for clients and for both of my properties.
My parents live in Marathon . Very worried for them.
Quote Reply
Re: Irma [Dirt fighter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My brother is in Naples too. He wants sandbags. Do you think they help? I'm planning on getting some and fedexing them as amazon is out of anything for delivery this week. But there is still availability at stores in Colorado.
Last edited by: Moonrocket: Sep 5, 17 14:22
Quote Reply
Re: Irma [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We're flying down to Orlando tomorrow morning and for Disney till the end of next week. My parents are driving down tonight. Worse case if it looks like we're gonna get more than wet we'll just drive back up to auburn for Sunday/Monday and head back down Tuesday.

I get with Harvey fresh on everyone's mind that people are a little on edge. However. You'd think based out my cousins and uncles reaction all of Florida will be destroyed and uninhabitable for years. No one even knows where in Florida it may hit at this points.
Quote Reply
Re: Irma [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in Florida. I've been in Minnesota and Omaha for 3 months working hail storms (all but one week has been in Omaha). I told LT83 that while most Floridians don't want the storm to hit because it will damage their house - I don't want it to hit because I'm afraid it will extend my storm season for another 2 months.

But, if it does hit the US, I'll probably get to go home for a couple of days before heading off to wherever they need me.

I really, really, really need to grow my software company so I can leave the storm chasing to younger people.
Quote Reply
Re: Irma [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
We're flying down to Orlando tomorrow morning and for Disney till the end of next week. My parents are driving down tonight. Worse case if it looks like we're gonna get more than wet we'll just drive back up to auburn for Sunday/Monday and head back down Tuesday.

I get with Harvey fresh on everyone's mind that people are a little on edge. However. You'd think based out my cousins and uncles reaction all of Florida will be destroyed and uninhabitable for years. No one even knows where in Florida it may hit at this points.

Quote:
With maximum winds near 185 miles per hour, Irma is tied as the second-strongest Atlantic hurricane, according to the National Hurricane Center. Only Hurricane Allen, in 1980, was stronger, with peak winds of about 190 m.p.h.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Irma [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And? They don't even know I feel it will hit mainland Florida yet or what path it will take if it does.

If the eye goes through Naples and back out to the gulf most of Florida won't be affected.

I wasn't debating that it's a big hurricane or that it'll do damage where it hits.
Quote Reply
Re: Irma [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
Been through a number of hurricanes. Couldn't imagine a tornado. I guess it comes down to what you know. Plus hurricane parties can be fun.

Best part of hurricanes.... they spawn tornadoes
Quote Reply
Re: Irma [treimink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
treimink wrote:
Francois wrote:
Funny, I was going to post about it. So who is getting ready for it here besides me?

I am, in Miami. I told my wife to fly to her sister's house in NOLA and take our 7 week old son w/ her. She declined. Doesn't want to abandon me or the dog. Probably mainly the dog.

It's too early to panic but not too early to prepare. They just cancelled Miami-Dade schools on Thursday. UM is closed for the week i believe.

Your wife needs her head examined
Quote Reply
Re: Irma [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My parents are in Port St. Lucie, too. I'm in Gainesville and I'm stuck in between whether I should really stock up and take this thing seriously or just... idk. not. lol.

How am I going to upload my data to strava if the power goes out?

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Irma [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:
windywave wrote:
Brownie28 wrote:
All i know is the Dolphins-Bucs game will likely have to be relocated or moved to an earlier date. So that's a major inconvenience for us NFL fans, which is pretty devastating.

I forget, does Brady underinflate or overinflate for hurricane force winds?

Neither, hurricanes form in low pressure environments so the ball will automatically deflate itself, like friggin magic!

It's only been about 3 decades since HS physics, but I'm still fairly sure the ball's perceived inflation is a function of the pressure differential between inside & out, so lower pressure outside will cause it to expand like friggin magic instead. You can test it by buying a bag of chips at sea level and driving it unopened into the mts...
Quote Reply
Re: Irma [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
It's only been about 3 decades since HS physics, but I'm still fairly sure the ball's perceived inflation is a function of the pressure differential between inside & out, so lower pressure outside will cause it to expand like friggin magic instead. You can test it by buying a bag of chips at sea level and driving it unopened into the mts...

Who could do that? I think that's impossible. Especially if they drive through Colorado and stop at one of the shops. No way would they be able to test it that way.
Quote Reply
Re: Irma [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
OneGoodLeg wrote:

Who could do that? I think that's impossible. Especially if they drive through Colorado and stop at one of the shops. No way would they be able to test it that way.

More fun to put a bag of Fritos in the microwave.
Quote Reply
Re: Irma [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:

Yeah I totally went backward with my example, the ball would overinflate at low pressure. Still, twas a (bad) joke.
Quote Reply
Re: Irma [clogs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My parents just told me they are going to ride in out in their ocean-front condo near Jupiter. They have done it before, but none like this one if it hits near them.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Irma [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
My brother is in Naples too. He wants sandbags. Do you think they help? I'm planning on getting some and fedexing them as amazon is out of anything for delivery this week. But there is still availability at stores in Colorado.
Some areas are pretty sturated just from the heavy summer rain season. Fire depts are giving them out but the lines are huge. If theres lots o rain ,old naples area and some parts of bonita springs are gonna need sand bags.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leave the software work to younger people and focus on what you do and know you can make money doing. They'll get it moving faster than you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
I live in Florida. I've been in Minnesota and Omaha for 3 months working hail storms (all but one week has been in Omaha). I told LT83 that while most Floridians don't want the storm to hit because it will damage their house - I don't want it to hit because I'm afraid it will extend my storm season for another 2 months.

But, if it does hit the US, I'll probably get to go home for a couple of days before heading off to wherever they need me.

I really, really, really need to grow my software company so I can leave the storm chasing to younger people.
Why is it that Home Depot always run out of plywood before a hurricane hits? Do people not keep a supply of some sort of protection in their garages?

Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:
Leave the software work to younger people and focus on what you do and know you can make money doing. They'll get it moving faster than you!

I agree. I don't do any programming any more. I will help with formatting customer data when my programmer is really busy and needs help, but I haven't programmed in 5 years. Where I am important is in pre-implementation, customer support and sales. I'm the face of the company (not a pretty one, but still a face) to most of our clients and others in the industry.

I wish I could find someone good to take over, or at least help out, with sales. We just need someone who is already in the industry and understands the software enough that our clients would trust him. Our sales cycle is often 1-2 years, so someone on a pure commission basis isn't going to last long - and our revenue probably isn't strong enough to hire and support the type of person we need while leaving enough revenue to pay the owners.

It is a catch-22. I am currently the best person to market it, but the adjusting gig pays so well that I can't afford to walk away from it. We're not growing as quickly as we were because I'm out adjusting, but with a couple of months of adjusting work I can pay my bills for the year and not have to worry about the months when I'm just working the software company. My goal is to pay off our house so we're debt free and then focus on the software company. The longer I stay on storms, the closer we get.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've spent 25+ years building startup software companies. If it's truly a valuable idea then get it funded (Crowdfunding sites can be excellent these days) and put a team together to manage it. Yes, it's dilutive, but there are many startup software companies in the startup graveyard because the founder refused any dilution.
Quote Reply
Re: Irma [Dirt fighter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dirt fighter wrote:
Moonrocket wrote:
Some areas are pretty sturated just from the heavy summer rain season. Fire depts are giving them out but the lines are huge. If theres lots o rain ,old naples area and some parts of bonita springs are gonna need sand bags.

Thanks! I just shipped him 50 bags. He just bought his house two weeks ago- but says it is draining well in the current rain and is one of the higher houses in Naples park. Any other tips for a newcomer in prepping? He is putting up hurricane shutters.
Quote Reply

Prev Next