Prev Next
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluemonkeytri wrote:
JSA wrote:
Giant Steps wrote:
mv2005 wrote:
Francois wrote:
One dragon being a white flyer was pretty much a given. The best part of the episode yesterday I thought was the interaction between Arya and Sansa.

The best interaction was Clegane and Tormund!

I think the Arya-Sansa thing is being done to trick Littlefinger into believing that his evil ploy is working. Surely by now Sansa knows that Litllefinger's motives can never be trusted.And it wouldn't surprise me if Sansa is the one who finally cuts his throat.

Not a chance. Sansa is dumb as a stump. A couple seasons ago, I was pulling for her death.

So what's the reason for sending Brienne to Kings Landing? Is she going to try and kill Arya? Everything in GOT has significance, right?

Also, the Scorpion bolt didn't kill Drogon when hit in the shoulder area, but that ice spear did kill Viserion when hit in around the same spot (albeit a little more on his side as I recall). Did the Night King choose Viserion because he was smaller and didn't think the spear would kill Drogon?

Watching again since my wife didn't see it yet. When Little Finger mentions that Brienne would be bound to intercede if Arya tried anything Sansa looks up and says she would. Sansa sent her away so she wouldn't have to fight Arya. Sansa is adding g it up. The question is when Arya pokes Little Finger in the eye with Needle, does Needle come out the back or the front.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Season Finale.......90 minutes long!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [cknoxpRTR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree with others here that the writing in last episode was abysmal. The death of the dragon lacked any emotional power at all.

The most powerful and shocking moment for me to date is still Ned Stark getting killed.
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not the red wedding?

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [GrimOopNorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nah. That wasn't as powerful for me. There was still some hope for Ned and then it was taken away, whereas the red wedding was not as well executed imo. I think I had read the book prior to seeing the red wedding on screen so knew it was coming, whereas with Ned on the tv show, I hadn't started the books yet.

For me, GOT is like a long form greek tragedy set in a fantasy world. You just know some of the more sympathetic characters are going to get in trouble for their flaws.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Geek tragedy surely?

I hadn't read the books by the time I watched the red wedding, hence the impact was massive - maybe more so that Ned's 'ed. Similar with the Mountain hulk smashing Oberyn into the dust - that was a suprise ( I thought the Mountain would win somehow, but I was cheering for Oberyn - and was screaming at the TV to stop dicking around and kill him already)

But yes, you're not the first person I've heard say that the characters have died because of their flaws - Ned let his honour override his caution; Rob broke his oath; Joffrey's hubris; Tommen's weakness; Marjory putting her faith in another (High Sparrow) rather than herself, etc.

The only ones who I would argue haven't died due to their faults have been this serie's deaths - QoT; Sand snakes; Frey.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
Agree with others here that the writing in last episode was abysmal. The death of the dragon lacked any emotional power at all.

The most powerful and shocking moment for me to date is still Ned Stark getting killed.

What emotions were you expecting from the death of the dragon? It's a dragon. I'm not even sure if we are expected to know one from the other based on physicality? I was more upset over Ned slitting the throat of the first dire wolf and when Rob's was shot in its cage.

Ned's death for me (as someone who hasn't read any of the books) was confronting because it was (from memory) the first significant death viewers were confronted with. For those who had not read the book it was unexpected because we were not used to characters (who we thought were in it for the long haul) being killed off. After that we got used to it and the question became, who is next?

The red wedding pretty much had me gasping for breath watching it late at night in bed on my phone. I could not settle down for about 15 mins. Significantly more shocking than Ned's death because you knew he was in trouble in the 'minutes' leading up to it.

Oberyn's death had me incredibly pissed off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GrimOopNorth wrote:
Geek tragedy surely?

I hadn't read the books by the time I watched the red wedding, hence the impact was massive - maybe more so that Ned's 'ed. Similar with the Mountain hulk smashing Oberyn into the dust - that was a suprise ( I thought the Mountain would win somehow, but I was cheering for Oberyn - and was screaming at the TV to stop dicking around and kill him already)

But yes, you're not the first person I've heard say that the characters have died because of their flaws - Ned let his honour override his caution; Rob broke his oath; Joffrey's hubris; Tommen's weakness; Marjory putting her faith in another (High Sparrow) rather than herself, etc.

The only ones who I would argue haven't died due to their faults have been this serie's deaths - QoT; Sand snakes; Frey.

Frey - Certainly led by revenge for the broken oath but I'd say he died from Greed, Walder Frey switched allegiances when it suited him financially, he would be granted Rivverun and protection from Tywin Lannister
Sand Snakes - I see their death caused by Wrath, Ellaria was all consumed with destroying Cersei for the death of Obryn, which certainly was picked up on by her daughters.
Olenna Tyrell - This one has me stumped. She always seemed to be a two steps ahead of everyone else.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
GrimOopNorth wrote:
Geek tragedy surely?

Frey - Certainly led by revenge for the broken oath but I'd say he died from Greed, Walder Frey switched allegiances when it suited him financially, he would be granted Rivverun and protection from Tywin Lannister
Sand Snakes - I see their death caused by Wrath, Ellaria was all consumed with destroying Cersei for the death of Obryn, which certainly was picked up on by her daughters.
Olenna Tyrell - This one has me stumped. She always seemed to be a two steps ahead of everyone else.

To be fair, I think she may have been. She didn't agree with Tyrion's plan that Jaime out-maneuvered and ended with the Lannister army taking Highgarden.
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Holy shit! It sure looks like the eye opened! That could an optical illusion, but I hope it was intentional.

In my rewatching last night with the wife. Watch the whole segment. They eye is definitely closed before he comes up. Then it stays open as he carries the sword around. At one point you can see that both eyes are open.

Now just tells me what it means. Does it mean his sword knows when he dies and comes back to life? I initially thought it was stupid that someone could be submerged in ice water for minutes, not dry off, then ride for hours in the wintry wind without dying of hypothermia. Looking like Jon can't die under normal circumstances now.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GrimOopNorth wrote:
Not the red wedding?

I was a late adopter, my wife had read all the books and had seen all the episodes before I started watching just the fourth season started. While we were watching the Red Wedding she was sitting on the couch like always, I was so engulfed in the episode and the reception I did not realize she ran off to hide in the kitchen. She told me she left just before the reception happened. She has also read all of the books for Outlander so before every episode I have to ask if she is going to desert me.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
JSA wrote:
Holy shit! It sure looks like the eye opened! That could an optical illusion, but I hope it was intentional.

In my rewatching last night with the wife. Watch the whole segment. They eye is definitely closed before he comes up. Then it stays open as he carries the sword around. At one point you can see that both eyes are open.

Now just tells me what it means. Does it mean his sword knows when he dies and comes back to life? I initially thought it was stupid that someone could be submerged in ice water for minutes, not dry off, then ride for hours in the wintry wind without dying of hypothermia. Looking like Jon can't die under normal circumstances now.

I can't figure it out. If you go back to earlier in the episode when he offers the sword back to Jorah the eyes look open as in the scene coming out of the water. While they are talking the eyes look different, almost hollow at one point.

The scene I attached earlier when you watch all of it they do seem to change.

So I can't figure if it's an optical illusion or not.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In one of the articles I posted, it talks about the eyes being a single clear crystal that goes through from one side to the other. There is speculation the eyes do not open and close, but, rather, are see-through (like glass) and they appear to "open" when Jon's black glove comes out of the water just behind the eyes. The article then goes on to say they disagree (as do I) and that that eyes are no clear or see-through, but, rather, opaque and white.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://nerdist.com/...ones-jon-snow-sword/

Pretty much what I said in my earlier post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That would help explain the variations in the scene I mentioned with Jorah that the article also mentions. They looked more hollow then though.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
In one of the articles I posted, it talks about the eyes being a single clear crystal that goes through from one side to the other. There is speculation the eyes do not open and close, but, rather, are see-through (like glass) and they appear to "open" when Jon's black glove comes out of the water just behind the eyes. The article then goes on to say they disagree (as do I) and that that eyes are no clear or see-through, but, rather, opaque and white.

They might do that some time, but that really doesn't seem to be what was going on in that scene. But even if they are opening and closing, I doubt we will ever know exactly what was going on.

Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is reason to believe that the NK is also a warg or greenseer (like bran). The way he is able to animate things is similar to how Bran warged into summer/Hordor. He may have been spying on the world for quite while - nothing else to do.

There is a good chance the whole thing was an ambush. If you look at the NK and the walkers, they have exactly 3 spears. And where else would they get those chains? It must have been planned.
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [Ghost234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ghost234 wrote:
There is reason to believe that the NK is also a warg or greenseer (like bran). The way he is able to animate things is similar to how Bran warged into summer/Hordor. He may have been spying on the world for quite while - nothing else to do.

There is a good chance the whole thing was an ambush. If you look at the NK and the walkers, they have exactly 3 spears. And where else would they get those chains? It must have been planned.

If the Night King is like Bran, wouldn't he have known he was going to miss with the second spear? If that's the case, why throw it at all? :)

''The enemy isn't conservatism. The enemy isn't liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t.''

—Lars-Erik Nelson
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [Danno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Danno wrote:
Ghost234 wrote:

If the Night King is like Bran, wouldn't he have known he was going to miss with the second spear? If that's the case, why throw it at all? :)

I thought Bran knew everything that had happened, but was not able to clearly see the future.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Danno wrote:
Ghost234 wrote:

I thought Bran knew everything that had happened, but was not able to clearly see the future.

Hell if I know. I was just trying to be clever. #cleverfail.

''The enemy isn't conservatism. The enemy isn't liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t.''

—Lars-Erik Nelson
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [Danno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Danno wrote:
JSA wrote:
Danno wrote:
Ghost234 wrote:

Hell if I know. I was just trying to be clever. #cleverfail.

Fucking lawyers ...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Season finale is titled "The Dragon and the Wolf", running time of almost 80 minutes, and there is a casting spoiler out there if you care to look.
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think GoT works on seven deadly sins. If it did there would be a pretty high turnover of major characters (fuck it, Cersei and Jaime wouldn't have made it past the first series).

I'm just trying to think about Cersei's exchange with Ned back at the start - if you're going to play the game of thrones you either win or you die. The list of dead didn't play it very well, or at least not as well as the current survivors, so what did they fuck up? This links nicely with Sansa's exchange with Jon, in which she tells him he needs to be smarter than Rob or Ned (and that he shouldn't go to Dragonstone and he can't trust Cersei etc)

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [Ghost234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ghost234 wrote:

Maybe the ultimate sacrifice in taking out the Night King is made by Bran next season (it's obvious this season isn't going to resolve the issue of Mr. NK and his army of the dead)? Brandon Stark certainly seems to have a fatalistic air about him now.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Maybe the ultimate sacrifice in taking out the Night King is made by Bran next season (it's obvious this season isn't going to resolve the issue of Mr. NK and his army of the dead)? Brandon Stark certainly seems to have a fatalistic air about him now.

Why don't they attach dragon glass arrowheads to a bunch of crows and have Bran warg the murder of crows to dive bomb the Night King?

Why can't Bran warg the ice dragon to eat the Night King?

Quote Reply

Prev Next